Closed Thread

Old
04-02-2006, 04:09 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Stars 29th in HF's latest Organization Ratings

Ahead of only Tampa. Guess the graduation of Daley, Jokinen, and Miettinen really hurt them in HF's eyes. Thoughts?

-Vagrant
Old
04-02-2006, 04:20 PM
Ajacied
Remember #9

I could care less.. Our prospects have always came through and are playing beyond expectations HF ever thought they would.

I think Eriksson is our best forward prospect since Brenden Morrow, and he might even have a higher upside. Add Lindgren, though fresh, is one of the top center prospects we've had in years, or in fact in HF history as I can remember. Then we have Polak, boom or bust, but he possesess offensive qualities we've never seen out of any of our prospects. The rest include a former Hockey Baker winner who's finding his grove, a fairly highly rated powerforward in James Neal, and a sound defensive group; Fransson, Grossman, Fristic, Niskanen, Nickerson.

Despite our losses, I don't think we're any worse, or better than in previous years.

Old
04-02-2006, 04:24 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ott = Snott
I could care less.. Our prospects have always came through and are playing beyond expectations HF ever thought they would.

I think Eriksson is our best forward prospect since Brenden Morrow, and he might even have a higher upside. Add Lindgren, though fresh, is one of the top center prospects we've had in years, or in fact in HF history as I can remember. Then we have Polak, boom or bust, but he possesess offensive qualities we've never seen out of any of our prospects. The rest include a former Hockey Baker winner who's finding his grove, a fairly highly rated powerforward in James Neal, and a sound defensive group; Fransson, Grossman, Fristic, Niskanen, Nickerson.

Despite our losses, I don't think we're any worse, or better than in previous years.
That sums it up best. I agree that we're about where we were when the last rankings came out(21st). I basically expected us to remain around there. IMO HF dropped us way too far based on the graduations of Jokinen, Daley, and Miettinen.

Old
04-02-2006, 04:25 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Does anyone else see Smith or Ellis taking over down the road, or should we be looking at a top goalie goalie prospect at the draft? We've got Stephan and Kilpelainen (sp?) as well, but there's not much to look forward to there either, I don't think.

What's our draft day strategy, if it's not too early to ask?

Old
04-02-2006, 05:14 PM
starshockeyfan56

Considering how our former "prospects" are doing this year, I'd say that's a tad on the stupid side.

Old
04-02-2006, 05:15 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by starshockeyfan56
Considering how our former "prospects" are doing this year, I'd say that's a tad on the stupid side.
Agreed. Seems our prospects have to actually do something at the NHL level to get any attention(i.e. Jokinen). There's several teams ahead of the Stars now than IMO shouldn't be there. As I said, I expected the Stars to remain right around 21st(give or take a few spots up or down).

Old
04-02-2006, 06:33 PM
Dr GLU

Stephan has the highest upside of any of the goalies. He's still struggling with consistency issues, and he'll probably have a difficult time adjusting to new angles on NA rinks next year.

That said, this year or next year, the Stars legitimately need to look at drafting a goalie prospect that they think can really replace Turco. I don't see any of the current Gs as starters (but they could be capable backups), and Turco will eventually get old or leave. Next year would probably be better since they have extra picks then.

On D, I'd still like them to pick up another dynamite offensive D. Daley looks to be rounding into more of a two-way guy (strong defensively, maybe 30 point seasons offensively). Niskanen seems to be following in the same path. There's still a little hope for Fransson. Scalzo has an outside shot of providing some O from the back end if he can compensate for his lack of size. But with Zubov possibly nearing the end of his career, that's a pressing issue too.

Up front, there still needs to be an influx of top-end talent and skill. Preferably at center, but anywhere would do. With Eriksson figuring out the NA game and a little extra bulk, he could be a strong performer down the line. There are a few other guys with good prospects, but they're hard to project.

So all in all, I don't mind the rank. There are some major concerns about the Stars system, and honestly, the difference in teams at the bottom of these rankings are slight. Where they end up just depends on the people doing the ranking. With strong drafts in the next couple years, they should begin to make their way back up the ladder a little since there may not be a lot of openings for youth in the immediate future.

(BTW, just as a random thought that's kind of related, look for the Stars to draft Finn Leo Komarov from Ässät this summer. They have to have seen a lot of him, and he has traits that the Stars have shown to like recently. They might sign Rob Hisey this summer as well.)

Old
04-02-2006, 07:14 PM
Starsdude

Yeah I think the rankings mean squat. They hava added a50pt scorer a top 9 forward and atop 4 d-man in one year ranking in the bottom third the whole time. Yeah there are holes but Pitts/Wash have looked great prospect wisewhile the team sucks. rather have the low HF ranking add 1 or 2 nice pieces a year and stay at the 100 point level each year

Old
04-03-2006, 12:53 PM
denniso

Stars prospects are not the greatest, but are better than HF seems to think. It's understandable. The site is based in North America, and our best prospects continue to be European. Heck, they have Polak down as a defenseman!

I do hope the Stars are bolder in taking more chances on players with bigger offensive upside this year. Isn't Komarov more in the mold of an Ott?

Old
04-03-2006, 06:00 PM
Kevin Wey

I too was disappointed by Dallas' ranking. I can't really say too much, and I wasn't involved in the organizational rankings, so I don't know the thinking exactly. I do know, from getting to see the I-Stars and then some of the other guys playing here in the upper Midwest that Dallas has a solid collection of prospects.

I don't think Dallas has much reason to fear. As for adding one or two players each year, next year is probably Eriksson and Smith (or maybe Ellis, one of the two). Eriksson...what a year of development he's had. Every time he touches the puck, offense is expected, and it's often what the I-Stars get. I don't think he'll have much more to prove at the AHL level by the end of the season. It's been a pleasure to watch his confidence grow and become such an effective player at the AHL level. I think every NHL team would like to see all of their prospects assigned to the AHL develop like Eriksson has this season.

Old
04-04-2006, 10:23 AM
LordHelmet

A 29 ranking? Weird...

I'm more excited about the progress of Erikkson, Lessard, and Lindgren than I was about Miets, Jokinen, and Daley.

None of the three current graduates lit it up like the three in the system now are doing. Our top 10-12 guys are all ranked at 7.0-7.5. That's better than I've seen since I started paying attention to HF..

Old
04-04-2006, 10:32 AM
Starsdude

I think Lessard has ashot as a4th liner next year. I think he can be gritty and provide some versatility. I would love to see him pattern himself after Barnes/Morrow. Erikkson can replace Guerin who is bought out and Arnott and Mitchell resigned. Something likely will be done with Janne if Mitchell is brought back maybe try to recoup the second, a decent center prospect or young winger. Unfortunately lots of available FA d-men this year. Another 100 point team then IMO.

I think Fransson comes over and with luck he can return to top prospect status. I hope EDM moves on at Iowa then prospects signed. They need a center or 2 and I would still like to see what Lundqvist could do. Hisey may also be an option. Lindgren is also a possibility but he still is awfully young. Under the new rules decisions will have to be made on guys like Wandell after next year. he is another guy that could come over in 2007-2008 with Lindgren.

Closed Thread