HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Young Gem Dandy Impresses Renney

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2006, 08:23 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

vCash: 500
Awards:
Young Gem Dandy Impresses Renney

http://www.nypost.com/sports/63934.htm

"I do believe that at the end of the day, it's realistic to project Lauri as an NHL second-line, left wing."

"I think we'd project Dane as a third- or fourth-liner, but with the ability to play," Renney said. "He's fairly raw, but has very good hockey sense."

04-03-2006, 08:42 AM
Ola

Interesting that Renney is stating that Korpedo will play LW, someone have to move from the right side. Jagr, Ward and Ortmayer will probably be around awhile. While G. Moore, Callahan and Korpikoski all are looking good on RW. Hopefully shifting wing won't hurt Lauri.

Old
04-03-2006, 09:00 AM
True Blue

Nothing really new. Although it is good to see Renney watch some of the draft picks on the team's day off. I like that. Another + on the Rennemeter. Lauri K. is a player that I think most of us see as a 2nd line player. I think that if all breaks right for him, he can be a faster Sykora. Byers I like as well. A tough, mean kid with good wheels. He can probably add on 20 pounds. Byers represents the second wave of the many 3rd/4th line prospects that the Rangers have. I think that we'll begin to see a change on the bottom-2 lines in 2 (not next) years. And the incoming personnel will be a bit different that the current set (much more abrassive).

Old
04-03-2006, 09:23 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Nothing really new. Although it is good to see Renney watch some of the draft picks on the team's day off. I like that. Another + on the Rennemeter. Lauri K. is a player that I think most of us see as a 2nd line player. I think that if all breaks right for him, he can be a faster Sykora. Byers I like as well. A tough, mean kid with good wheels. He can probably add on 20 pounds. Byers represents the second wave of the many 3rd/4th line prospects that the Rangers have. I think that we'll begin to see a change on the bottom-2 lines in 2 (not next) years. And the incoming personnel will be a bit different that the current set (much more abrassive).
Bigger also. If a Byers or a Kozak can play the kind of game that a Kris King used to play for us it would be more than welcome. King was good defensively--would score the odd goal--was an effective bodychecker and could drop the gloves and could also play disciplined. We could use one or two guys like that.

I don't know if Korpikoski is going to be another Sykora though. Sykora to me really is a 1st line talent and I'm hoping Lauri might have a little better all around game (physically and defensively) as he develops out.

Old
04-03-2006, 12:38 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
Interesting that Renney is stating that Korpedo will play LW, someone have to move from the right side. Jagr, Ward and Ortmayer will probably be around awhile. While G. Moore, Callahan and Korpikoski all are looking good on RW. Hopefully shifting wing won't hurt Lauri.
It'll be a transition for sure. If Moore, Callahan progress they could eventually replace the other RW's namely Ward/Ortmeyer. But until that happens the Rangers will still have capable players manning those positions.

Lauri also seemed versatile enough to play either wing to me, though personally I liked him on the right side better.

Old
04-03-2006, 12:42 PM
Fletch

I would guess...

and it's really only a guess, that Moore and Callahan won't be at Ward's level immediately, and isn't Ward only signed through next season? Great way to stagger bringing these kids one. Ortmeyer's a different story. I think Ward provides almost as good defense, but has a good deal more offensive talent.

Old
04-03-2006, 12:48 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
and it's really only a guess, that Moore and Callahan won't be at Ward's level immediately, and isn't Ward only signed through next season? Great way to stagger bringing these kids one. Ortmeyer's a different story. I think Ward provides almost as good defense, but has a good deal more offensive talent.
Yeah, I think it's unrealistic to expect these kids next season. Now two years from now, three years from now the odds say that the Rangers will at least have some kids who will be pushing for spots.

I think the Rangers were very smart about 04 and 05. In a draft its sometimes more benenficial to have more picks than a higher pick. That's especially true if you can build a good scouting department.

Old
04-03-2006, 12:52 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

I have a question...what was he doing all year long??? His stats are garbage...

Old
04-03-2006, 01:42 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Yeah, I think it's unrealistic to expect these kids next season. Now two years from now, three years from now the odds say that the Rangers will at least have some kids who will be pushing for spots.

I think the Rangers were very smart about 04 and 05. In a draft its sometimes more benenficial to have more picks than a higher pick. That's especially true if you can build a good scouting department.
Agreed. Although, I think they are starting to realize the dire need for a homerun Center pick at this point. It's the system's biggest, most glaring weakness.

Old
04-03-2006, 01:47 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by hightide85
Playing a defensive role in a Finnish men's league which under the best of circumstances won't produce comparable numbers to the North American hockey.

Old
04-03-2006, 01:48 PM
Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription
Agreed. Although, I think they are starting to realize the dire need for a homerun Center pick at this point. It's the system's biggest, most glaring weakness.
I think they do, but I just hope they don't try and rush it.

I don't think they are desperate for one and would rather they make a move when they have a bit more depth/ a more filled out roster.

Old
04-03-2006, 02:59 PM
Ola

Quote:
It'll be a transition for sure. If Moore, Callahan progress they could eventually replace the other RW's namely Ward/Ortmeyer. But until that happens the Rangers will still have capable players manning those positions.

Lauri also seemed versatile enough to play either wing to me, though personally I liked him on the right side better.
Yeah I am not to found of players not playing the off wing anymore. I want Prucha on the left side and Korpedo on the right. Its really tough these days to beat a D on the outside. Not so long ago goalies where beaten with slappers from along the boards basically every night, these days its a must save. The only advantage playing with the stick against the boards is on defense.

Old
04-03-2006, 04:10 PM
shoothepuck

Lauri is better suited to the right side, but his ability to play both may ease and speed up his entry into the NHL

Old
04-03-2006, 05:01 PM
BigE

Thanks for posting this...with all the Pat Reichart articles I was beginning to think they'd canned Larry.

Old
04-03-2006, 05:21 PM
NYR469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ola
he's been listed as a LW by the rangers since he got drafted...that might change once he gets on the ice but renney's comment doesn't suggest they are suddenly changing him to the other side...

either way hopefully he gets quality ice time, maybe playing with immonen

Old
04-03-2006, 05:59 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
It's great that Renney got to see Korp and Byers skate yesterday. And he sounds realistic about both prospects. I think we'll just have to wait and see. Patience.

Old
04-03-2006, 07:22 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Playing a defensive role in a Finnish men's league which under the best of circumstances won't produce comparable numbers to the North American hockey.
Why what's so different about the leagues? I don't get it...I mean his numbers are horrible. So they tell him not to score as a forward and just play D?

Old
04-03-2006, 07:51 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

He was practicing doing his

Quote:
Zach Parise impersonation! Stats mean zero. Look what he did every single time against his peers.

Old
04-03-2006, 08:22 PM
BigE

Quote:
Why what's so different about the leagues? I don't get it...I mean his numbers are horrible. So they tell him not to score as a forward and just play D?
The Finnish league is known for it's defensive discipline (in fact most of the European elite leagues play defensively-minded styles), and traditionally feature a lot less scoring. Combine that with the icetime he was receiving and the circumstances in which he was getting it - as a shutdown man, against the other team's top line - and the statistical results aren't really indicative of his capabilities.

He was fairly explosive at the WJC, particularily on the PK (his awareness combined with his speed kept him one blocked shot from a breakaway at any moments notice). One or two years in the AHL would do him a ton of good.

As was mentioned earlier, stats are overrated.

Old
04-03-2006, 08:42 PM
Levitate

it's also my impression that it's harder for young players to break into the finnish league...they usually start out on the 3rd and 4th lines for awhile, they're not just given a spot alongside the top line guys to develop them. It's not really a development league, like the AHL over here.

His role with the team most of the time wasn't that of a scorer. Next year with the Pack should be a much better indicator of his offensive potential in NA hockey than his last year with his Finnish team.

Old
04-03-2006, 09:00 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE
The Finnish league is known for it's defensive discipline (in fact most of the European elite leagues play defensively-minded styles), and traditionally feature a lot less scoring. Combine that with the icetime he was receiving and the circumstances in which he was getting it - as a shutdown man, against the other team's top line - and the statistical results aren't really indicative of his capabilities.

He was fairly explosive at the WJC, particularily on the PK (his awareness combined with his speed kept him one blocked shot from a breakaway at any moments notice). One or two years in the AHL would do him a ton of good.

As was mentioned earlier, stats are overrated.
ok so why would he play in this league? wouldn't he want to boost his numbers? I guess I don't really understand how any of the overseas leagues play...nor do I really care to...sine the nhl is the best league in the world. I just don't get why a 19 year old wanting to go to the nhl would put himself in that situation.

And stats are overrated? Yeah Dom Moore is better than Jagr, too. If he puts up numbers in the AHL I'll be a believer.

Question...who is scoring the goals for his team and how old is he?

Old
04-03-2006, 09:07 PM
Levitate

Quote:
ok so why would he play in this league? wouldn't he want to boost his numbers? I guess I don't really understand how any of the overseas leagues play...nor do I really care to...sine the nhl is the best league in the world. I just don't get why a 19 year old wanting to go to the nhl would put himself in that situation.

And stats are overrated? Yeah Dom Moore is better than Jagr, too. If he puts up numbers in the AHL I'll be a believer.

Question...who is scoring the goals for his team and how old is he?
Well he had military obligations to complete I believe, so he had to stay in Finland for another year.

Old
04-03-2006, 09:49 PM
Kodiak

Send a message via ICQ to Kodiak Send a message via AIM to Kodiak Send a message via Yahoo to Kodiak
Quote:
Why would a Finn play hockey in the Finnish league? Is that your question?

NHL scouts do not get their information solely from a stat sheet. And it's debatable whether a young player like Korpikoski would better serve his development by tearing it up against other young players in the lower leagues or playing fewer minutes against men.

Old
04-03-2006, 10:21 PM
Edge

Quote:
You're assuming that he had a ton of options. Unlike the U.S. where the an 18 year old kid can essentially go anywhere from the NHL to the Yugoslovian league, some kids in other countries don't have that option.

The Finnish league is totally different than the NHL, you just can't compare players stats wise when they play in a lot of European leagues. It's not just not comparable.

I'm sure Lauri would've played in the CHL if he could (and the Rangers wanted that) but it wasn't an option. And Lauri didn't forget how to score, he did well for himself when he played against kids his own age.

Looking at prospects in more than just a stat line. If it wasn't there'd be a lot of kids in the NHL who you've never heard of.

Now he's obviously not a sure thing but the feeling right now is that the skill is there and it wasn't his doing for the lack of scoring so much as the role he was assigned too. European hockey is a totally different animal than the NA game in many ways.

Old
04-03-2006, 10:46 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

Quote:
You're assuming that he had a ton of options. Unlike the U.S. where the an 18 year old kid can essentially go anywhere from the NHL to the Yugoslovian league, some kids in other countries don't have that option.

The Finnish league is totally different than the NHL, you just can't compare players stats wise when they play in a lot of European leagues. It's not just not comparable.

I'm sure Lauri would've played in the CHL if he could (and the Rangers wanted that) but it wasn't an option. And Lauri didn't forget how to score, he did well for himself when he played against kids his own age.

Looking at prospects in more than just a stat line. If it wasn't there'd be a lot of kids in the NHL who you've never heard of.

Now he's obviously not a sure thing but the feeling right now is that the skill is there and it wasn't his doing for the lack of scoring so much as the role he was assigned too. European hockey is a totally different animal than the NA game in many ways.
I didn't know he was Finish. I've played hockey all my life but have no idea of hockey life in Europe. I've been a die hard Ranger fan for 15 years, watching almost 90% of the games. Until I came here I didn't know how rabid people were about the prospects, and how they followed all of them and the leagues abroad. I've never seen the kid play in my life. How have the NA people here seen him? How do you follow these people so closely? And what would tell you this kid is good if his stats suck? I guess you have some weird satellite channels in Canada...cuz I sure don't have them here.

Is there some site where you can watch highlights of these kids? If so I'd love to see some. I feel like I just crawled out from underneath some sort of rock. You people are maniacs about this stuff lol.

Closed Thread