HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Unpopular Opinions vol 2.

Old
08-04-2017, 11:07 AM
klamla

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by howehullorr View Post
I took it to mean opinions that "other people" held, not (necessarily) the actual poster making the post. No?

Yet we rebut the poster?
if posters contributing an unpopular position don't hold it then what use is it? Are we just listing any unpopular position? Is this a massive group brainstorm?

klamla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2017, 12:08 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Quote:
I took it to mean opinions that "other people" held, not (necessarily) the actual poster making the post. No?

Yet we rebut the poster?
The thread asks people to share their own unpopular opinions about the Leafs/NHL. Opinions which go against the grain of consensus.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2017, 12:11 PM
Menzinger

One could make a case that Sweden and Finland currently have better youth development programs than Canada.

Canada's main advantage is the sheer number of youths that play hockey rather than the system itself.

Menzinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2017, 01:28 PM
Gary Nylund

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menzinger View Post
One could make a case that Sweden and Finland currently have better youth development programs than Canada.

Canada's main advantage is the sheer number of youths that play hockey rather than the system itself.
I guess this might be unpopular for people who are upset by any nation being better than Canada at anything hockey related. Seems like just an obvious truth to me.

Gary Nylund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2017, 01:34 PM
howehullorr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
The thread asks people to share their own unpopular opinions about the Leafs/NHL. Opinions which go against the grain of consensus.

OK thanks. I went back to check the OP. You are correct. I didn't remember the part that it was supposed to be your opinion.

howehullorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2017, 01:56 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

Quote:

I think a major reason for this is the cost prohibitive nature of it all in Canada these days. I have an 8-year-old nephew who plays all year long on a travel circuit whose team hires professional skating coaches (who work with NHLers) to work with the kids. It's insane.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2017, 02:20 PM
Jack Bauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Nylund View Post
I guess this might be unpopular for people who are upset by any nation being better than Canada at anything hockey related. Seems like just an obvious truth to me.
And it doesn't help that our attitude towards goaltending is completely backwards which is why we haven't seen many elite Canadian goaltenders as compared to what a country like Finland seems to be producing as well.

I find it crazy how since Price moved on to the NHL that goaltending is almost always our biggest weakness in the U20 tournaments. You'd think that it would be one of our biggest strengths year to year considering how large our feeder system is.

Jack Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2017, 03:06 PM
Vince Vega
Just Win, Baby!

Quote:

If the USA had all its best athletes playing hockey instead of Football/baseball, etc ... They would be untouchable.

Vince Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2017, 10:18 PM
Daisy Jane
trust the vision

Quote:
Interesting thread. It seems that the people offering rebuttals to various posts might be forgetting that the theme of these posts is "unpopular opinions". So, the poster might feel or believe in the opposite of what they post.
Or people would like to the person to expand on the opinion on why they think that way so there is some discussion? In the first thread a lot of my opinions were questioned and some debate stemmed from it. I didn't ask them to change their opinion I simply asked in this case to say that Dubas would not be missed what does he do for you to say something like that as I don't think we (publicly) have an idea of what's he does. Or whatever the reason people offer a rebuttal.

Daisy Jane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2017, 10:24 PM
Vince Vega
Just Win, Baby!

We lost another fancy stat site, RIP ... https://stats.hockeyanalysis.com

Vince Vega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2017, 10:26 PM
Gabriel426

Quote:
I look at Canada's Mens Hockey as and will always be the favorite to win in any tournament, kind of like how Brazil used to be in soccer and USA in Basketball. But that doesn't mean other countries can beat Canada in Int'l tournament. Since we all know that goalie will always be the wild card in any one game knock out competition.

Gabriel426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2017, 10:28 PM
Gabriel426

Not sure if this could be consider an unpopular opinion, but with the recent transfer of Neymar from Barcelona to PSG for a total fees of 422mil(222mil release clause paid to Barcelona, 50mil paid to agent and 150mil new contract paid to Neymar). Do you think there will ever be a transfer fees system in the NHL, think Glen Sather once said something like that back in the days.

Gabriel426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2017, 10:31 PM
Pucker77

I dont know if this is an unpopular opinion but:

Kapanen will start the season in the AHL.

Pucker77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2017, 10:45 PM
Menzinger

Quote:
I think some folks just get a little bit afraid of self-criticism.

Still, even with older prospects some folks insist that they absolutely MUST go to the CHL when there are multiple other perfectly legit paths to the NHL.

Old
08-04-2017, 10:46 PM
Menzinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke Silver View Post
I think a major reason for this is the cost prohibitive nature of it all in Canada these days. I have an 8-year-old nephew who plays all year long on a travel circuit whose team hires professional skating coaches (who work with NHLers) to work with the kids. It's insane.
Very true. Honestly I think hockey Canada needs to have a much more radical rethink about their approach to youth development than the minor changes they've been doing over the past few years

Old
08-04-2017, 11:58 PM
Prominence

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKYPro77 View Post
I dont know if this is an unpopular opinion but:

Kapanen will start the season in the AHL.
That's fair...the depth is too damn high!

Prominence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2017, 11:33 AM
Pookie

Quote:
I think some folks just get a little bit afraid of self-criticism.
This is a little hidden truth in this.

The very act of posting an "unpopular opinion" means that the poster is aware that their view may be different... at least different than the groupthink on this board.

A poster said something to the effect that the original thread "stated that these opinions people actually hold which seems logical..."

?

It didn't. Just asked what opinions you hold that may be unpopular.

"Logic" is used as a word to attempt to shoot down these unpopular opinions by some elements on this board.

A - this is my opinion
B- you are not logical
A - Here's why I feel this way
B - wrong. It's not logical
A - well i disagree for these reasons
B - your reasons don't matter because I said it wasn't logical

I'll go further and add to that.

When you say these folks may be afraid of criticism, why should they be afraid of their OPINION being criticized? They are offering their opinion in a thread entitled unpopular opinions. I think we can deduce that they probably know that someone might hold a different view.

But they should absolutely not be subjected to criticism of the self for holding and sharing it.

Things turn sour when the debate shifts off the opinion and on to the person offering it.

Pookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2017, 01:15 PM
howehullorr

Whether its your opinion or not, I do find it a little odd to see a rebuttal to an unpopular opinion. If its unpopular, then whoever is throwing out the opinion already knows there will be rebuttals because the opinion is unpopular.

Even watching the reaction to the groupthink subject topic is interesting. It gets a rather predictable push back reaction from those most inclined to this activity.

howehullorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2017, 01:49 PM
PuckMagi

I think Marchenko is good. Much better than Carrick and Marincin.

I thought he was solid defensively and picked his spots well when he pinched.

Granted, I would like to see more of him before coming to any firm conclusions... but I'm happy with this group going forward:

Gardiner - Zaitsev
Rielly - Hainsey / Liljegren
Dermott - Marchenko

We don't really need any more defenders. Sure, I'd take upgrades... but there's not a lot of room cap wise anyways.

PuckMagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2017, 05:47 PM
klamla

Quote:
Whether its your opinion or not, I do find it a little odd to see a rebuttal to an unpopular opinion. If its unpopular, then whoever is throwing out the opinion already knows there will be rebuttals because the opinion is unpopular.

Even watching the reaction to the groupthink subject topic is interesting. It gets a rather predictable push back reaction from those most inclined to this activity.
it's a discussion forum man

klamla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2017, 06:41 PM
Pookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by klamla View Post
it's a discussion forum man
It is.

Which is why it is disappointing that discussions tend to get into "self-criticism"... when that really has no merit or basis to the discussion.

I find it really pretentious too when a poster insinuated that opinions must meet some logic test when it is a selective, yet vocal group, that assesses whether an argument meets that test.

The test essentially is a question of whether that group agrees with the opinion. If so, apparently it's "logical."

Sad what passes for debate.

Old
08-05-2017, 06:53 PM
thewave
Simply TheBest

Sosh should head back to the AHL and prove himself worthy after a terrible season.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2017, 07:35 PM
Gary Nylund

Here is my original post:
Quote:
The original thread clearly stated that these should be opinions people actually hold which seems logical or people could post any nonsense whatsoever and what would be the point?
Now a person with average reading comprehension ability would understand that I'm saying not that the opinions should seem logical, but rather that people post opinions they actually hold, logical or not as opposed to just making up things that would be unpopular, regardless of whether anyone holds those opinions or not.

Now had I used the word "seem" instead of "seems"
(reading comprehension 1.01, I'm looking at you Pookie), then the meaning of what I said would be completely different and Pookie's interpretation would be correct - that I said the opinions themselves should seem logical.

Now here comes Pookie, sniping from the bushes, not addressing me directly and getting it wrong:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
This is a little hidden truth in this.

The very act of posting an "unpopular opinion" means that the poster is aware that their view may be different... at least different than the groupthink on this board.

A poster said something to the effect that the original thread "stated that these opinions people actually hold which seems logical..."

?

It didn't. Just asked what opinions you hold that may be unpopular.

"Logic" is used as a word to attempt to shoot down these unpopular opinions by some elements on this board.

A - this is my opinion
B- you are not logical
A - Here's why I feel this way
B - wrong. It's not logical
A - well i disagree for these reasons
B - your reasons don't matter because I said it wasn't logical

I'll go further and add to that.

When you say these folks may be afraid of criticism, why should they be afraid of their OPINION being criticized? They are offering their opinion in a thread entitled unpopular opinions. I think we can deduce that they probably know that someone might hold a different view.

But they should absolutely not be subjected to criticism of the self for holding and sharing it.

Things turn sour when the debate shifts off the opinion and on to the person offering it.
And here he comes again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
It is.

Which is why it is disappointing that discussions tend to get into "self-criticism"... when that really has no merit or basis to the discussion.

I find it really pretentious too when a poster insinuated that opinions must meet some logic test when it is a selective, yet vocal group, that assesses whether an argument meets that test.

The test essentially is a question of whether that group agrees with the opinion. If so, apparently it's "logical."

Sad what passes for debate.
Again, reading comprehension failure.

You seem to be obsessed with me but for some reason, you seem to be afraid to address me directly but there's no reason for this, it's just a discussion about hockey, no need to take it so seriously, In the future, if you have something to say to me, why not just say it, don't be afraid. It's OK to be wrong, we're all wrong at times. But when you snipe from the bushes and demonstrate that you didn't even understand what I wrote, well that must just be embarrassing.

Gary Nylund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2017, 09:07 PM
Pookie

Quote:

Indeed it does.

Old
08-05-2017, 10:03 PM
Rjk247

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Steps View Post
I don't think all that highly of Jeremy Bracco.

Hope he proves me wrong though.,
How many times have you seen him play?

Rjk247 is offline   Reply With Quote