HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nilan-Murray comparison

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2006, 07:00 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
Although he didn't fight often, I'd bet on Vladimir Malakhov over any of the names mentioned here. He'd pound Nilan.

As usual, Toshiro's judgment is clouded. Nilan was a pretty good fighter and became a decent hockey player. He was picked up by the Bruins at the end of his career in Montréal, which says something about his value. Hands down over Murray. Murray isn't a pugilist, although he won't back down, and don't count on Murray for more than 10 goals every season.
Nilan was regularily beaten. He saw lots of ice time so scored a few. I think Murray can play a superior role except for the fighting which nilan wasnt that good at anyway. I wonder how their weight compares?

Old
04-03-2006, 07:03 PM
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser

The only guy I could recall consistently getting the better of Nilan was the Sabre's Larry Playfair. Other than that, he was a great fighter and would hand Murray his butt if he was a current NHLer.

Old
04-03-2006, 07:21 PM
JrHockeyFan

Hey

They had Nilan on TV one game in Boston talking about the Habs. The guy looks great!

I like Murray, but he is not the same as Nilan at all.

Speaking strictly about Nilan. The guy played hard and would mix it up with anybody. He knew his job and did it well. Nobody messed with the high priced help without getting a visit from Nilan. Team guy. You had to love him.

Old
04-03-2006, 07:25 PM
JrHockeyFan

Seriously

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro
Nilan was regularily beaten. He saw lots of ice time so scored a few. I think Murray can play a superior role except for the fighting which nilan wasnt that good at anyway. I wonder how their weight compares?
I am serious about this. Did you actually see Nilan play at all? You don't really seem to have a good grasp of the way he played and how much he played.

Nobody wins every fight. But the other guy knew he had a fight when facing him.

Old
04-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
My oncly had a video tape of hockey top fighters. A good 20 minutes of Nilan's fights could be seen on that tape... Murray doesnt belong in the same sentence, at least not yet that's for sure.

Old
04-03-2006, 09:25 PM
goalchenyuk

Nilan had at least 1 or 2 seasons of 20 goals . But he was having the teammates to do that . He was a good figther and Claude Ruel teached him slowly , how to play hockey .

Murray is more a charactere guy than a goon . He"s more a Begin type . exepted that he has fight here and there .He's not that bad in his offensive game .

Old
04-03-2006, 10:01 PM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck
Although he didn't fight often, I'd bet on Vladimir Malakhov over any of the names mentioned here. He'd pound Nilan.
What are you basing this one????? To even consider Malakhov a great fighter he would of had to take on at least a couple heavyweights. Out of Vlad's 11 career fights, he only fought one guy who was even considered a big fighter (Shelley, in a preseason game).

Vlad's fighting opponents

Sandy Moger
Ted Drury
Shjon Podein
Alexandre Daigle
Josef Vasicek
Joe Sacco
Jeff Cowan
Nathan Horton
Kevin Dineen
Jamie Huscroft
Jody Shelley

04-03-2006, 10:12 PM
deandebean

Toshiro, did you see Nilan in his prime? Go ask ANY Boston player, where all the tough guys were. NOBODY even got CLOSE to him. They all got pummelled. Heck, Sinden went to extremes in order to find the tough guy who would settle Nilan's case. And he never did!!!

Probert was a monster, but Nilan was intelligent as a pugilist. He started slowly, and used both hands at will. He even used his uppercut, which was pretty rare as a boxer. He was toying with guys.

Old
04-04-2006, 12:00 AM
Teufelsdreck

Toshiro is unswayed by testimony from several different sources that contradict his off-top-of-the-head impression. "Don't bother me with facts. My mind is made up." Typical of narcissists.

Old
04-04-2006, 12:05 AM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun
My oncly had a video tape of hockey top fighters. A good 20 minutes of Nilan's fights could be seen on that tape... Murray doesnt belong in the same sentence, at least not yet that's for sure.
Murray is a bad but entertaining fighter imo. He just punches and punches. I don't think he'll ever be a great fighter but he won't lose em all either.

Old
04-04-2006, 01:21 AM
fergie

Nilan not a fighter,give your head a shake

[QUOTE=toshiro]Posters on other bpoohed the comarison of Murray to Nilan. Nilan was not as fast and, contrary to popular opinion, was not a great fighter and certainly not a goalscorer. Murray is a great skater with good hockey sense who heads to the net. He wont however be the punching bag Nilan was. He is a keener nilkaoards have pooh . nilan was one of the most feared fighters in hockey,never lost a fight,pummelled terry oreilly, as well as dave brownin big fights in montreal. you obviously don'tno much about punching bags. Nilan was feared for his devestating right punch.

Old
04-04-2006, 01:54 AM
Bileur

This is up there in the worst comparisons i've seen.

Old
04-04-2006, 06:46 AM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Chris Nilan was a great fighter (outside of John Kordic, he was probablely the best fighter Montreal has had in the past 25 years). Towards the end of his career he was beaten quite a bit, but during his time in Montreal (especially the earlier part of his career) he was often considered one of the league best.

Are you sure you aren't thinking about Lyle Odelein???

exactly

Old
04-04-2006, 08:51 AM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Posters on other boards have pooh poohed the comarison of Murray to Nilan. Nilan was not as fast and, contrary to popular opinion, was not a great fighter and certainly not a goalscorer. Murray is a great skater with good hockey sense who heads to the net. He wont however be the punching bag Nilan was. He is a keeper.
toshiro is trying to get us going. Nilan was the best fighter in hockey for 10 years

Old
04-04-2006, 09:48 AM
Mike The Wall

Quote:
Posters on other boards have pooh poohed the comarison of Murray to Nilan. Nilan was not as fast and, contrary to popular opinion, was not a great fighter and certainly not a goalscorer. Murray is a great skater with good hockey sense who heads to the net. He wont however be the punching bag Nilan was. He is a keeper.

Sorry but Nilan was never a punching bag and it is not fair to compaire Murray to Nilan. They are completly two different players.

Old
04-04-2006, 10:22 AM
habfan4

Chris Nilan was a fantastic enforcer, in fact the only guy I can recall getting the better of Nilan was Dave Brown (who was one of the toughest guys to ever lace em up). His frequent bouts with Jay Miller were absolutely classic.

Old
04-04-2006, 10:29 AM
ti-vite

Corey Locke reminds me of Chris Pronger

Old
04-04-2006, 12:38 PM
LePoche69

...and does anybody remember Nilan's wrist shot? It was great. Not always on target, but still, on a good day, he could beat any goaltender.

He wasn't the usual weakest link in the Carbo-Gainey-Nilan line. He was a true and important part of it. That line was the one who used to play the most in a game. That says it all about Nilan. Murray is sooooo far from it.

Murray has heart and plays great right now. But man, we're comparing a guy who had a +10 years career (with goals and recognized as one of the best fighters) to a guy who played on a fourth line in the AHL at the beginning of the season and who may be in the press box next week, for that matter.

Old
04-04-2006, 02:44 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matrix
And Carbo-Gainey-Nilan was one of the best defensive lines of all times. Sure it helps when Carbo and Gainey plays on your line but he did his job nevertheless. And I remember that everytime he had a fight, I was so sure that he would end up winning it so I can't I was wront too often.

Chris Nilan Vs Jay Miller, good ole days......

Nilan is like Chris Neil

Murray is like Jason Ward

Old
04-04-2006, 03:34 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike The Wall
Sorry but Nilan was never a punching bag and it is not fair to compaire Murray to Nilan. They are completly two different players.
Nilan was a 20 goal guy also.

Old
04-04-2006, 03:52 PM
Habs13

I'll drop the gloves in Nilan's honor dammit! Not a good fighter? Blasphemy. And I have a fight DVD with a bunch of his fights... he WAS a good fighter.

Closed Thread