HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The 2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

View Poll Results: Early, but where do you see the Avs finishing after the 2017-18 season (pre-lottery)?
1st overall 13 14.13%
2nd overall 21 22.83%
3rd overall 12 13.04%
4th overall 8 8.70%
5th overall 7 7.61%
6-9th overall 21 22.83%
10-15th overall 4 4.35%
16-31st overall 6 6.52%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-13-2017, 08:24 AM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

vCash: 500
I want two LHD. One with our first to finish the D, and a more project LHD later in the first / early in the second like K'Andre Miller.

That's why I want the isles package. Grab a forward or a goalie with the other extra first and our 2nd on top of those LHDs and Bellows, and we'll be sitting pretty even before a Barrie trade.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2017, 09:30 AM
Patagonia

I also want to keep build LHD with another 1st round pick and the NYI works with their 2 picks. Hey can grab a high end talent and the middle round could be packaged even with their likely high 2nd round selection move up in he draft.

Patagonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2017, 09:31 AM
agentblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
I want two LHD. One with our first to finish the D, and a more project LHD later in the first / early in the second like K'Andre Miller.

That's why I want the isles package. Grab a forward or a goalie with the other extra first and our 2nd on top of those LHDs and Bellows, and we'll be sitting pretty even before a Barrie trade.

Bellows or Toews?

I also agree with getting more D cause you can always trade one of them for fwd help down the road if its getting crowded/expensive
which would be a great problem to have.

agentblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2017, 10:23 AM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentblack View Post
Bellows or Toews?

I also agree with getting more D cause you can always trade one of them for fwd help down the road if its getting crowded/expensive
which would be a great problem to have.
Gimme Bellows and lets pick our own surplus Dman with one of the top 40 picks. But I loved Bellows as a prospect and don't hold his leaving BU against him anymore than I held it against Greer; and I have seen a lot less of Toews, so maybe it would better to take Toews and draft two top 40 forwards.

Old
08-13-2017, 10:32 AM
Avsblitzkrieg

vCash: 710
So say we select 2 and say dahlin is gone do we select svechniikov? I think I could live with it, hopefully bigras could take the 2nd pairing role, and lock it down. I also wanna see a top goalie prospect. How's this season looking for goalies?

Avsblitzkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2017, 10:45 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

I'm waiting for the players to dictate what I want. I don't have any preconceived opinions at this time. I know we need a LD but a scoring wing is a big need too and this is the draft for both. I also have no earthly idea who is going to be top 5, 10 or even 20 worthy. Seriously, there's so many possibilities right now it's not even funny. I want to see who rises to the top.

Another first would be lovely but we've had that need for years now so let's see if it ever happens. I'm also not sure they see anything wrong with their current goalie strategy.

tigervixxxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2017, 11:58 AM
agentblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
I'm waiting for the players to dictate what I want. I don't have any preconceived opinions at this time. I know we need a LD but a scoring wing is a big need too and this is the draft for both. I also have no earthly idea who is going to be top 5, 10 or even 20 worthy. Seriously, there's so many possibilities right now it's not even funny. I want to see who rises to the top.

Another first would be lovely but we've had that need for years now so let's see if it ever happens. I'm also not sure they see anything wrong with their current goalie strategy.
Yeah this year will super interesting to see who gets projected in the top five

Old
08-13-2017, 01:11 PM
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs

Quote:
Yeah this year will super interesting to see who gets projected in the top five
I have a feeling it will be a lot like 2017, in that rankings will disagree a lot. Just for the opposite reason.

McMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2017, 02:01 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

This is a really good primer if where things stand right now. Much better than an early ranking.

Old
08-13-2017, 02:41 PM
agentblack

Quote:
This is a really good primer if where things stand right now. Much better than an early ranking.

Jack McBain!! lol I'll keep my on that one

Old
08-13-2017, 03:45 PM
Perratrooper

Man I would love either top two picks. We lack significantly in LHD prospects and same can be said for RW. Either way it is time to stock pile assets and create organisational depth to move forward and become competitive.

Perratrooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2017, 09:21 PM
S E P H
@SEPH_WHL

Quote:

Disagree, Ivan Hlinka is probably the WORST tournament to make any sort of ranking or judgement on. For me, it's a joke of a tourney and even the USA is an example of considering it a joke. They constantly bring their C+ team as a test for players they want to bring for the U18 and maybe the U20 team.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2017, 09:57 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

It's pointless to do a ranking right now, that was more the point but it is important to understand how the Hlinka kicks off the draft year. That's where the hype on these guys start. Obviously it's up to them to keep it going but watch for those who did well and at the top of this list to get hype heading into September. It's more important to understand where the rankings are going and what's driving momentum than to just look at a list. But it's fine if folks want to only get into it much later on. I'm posting for the people who might want to get interested now and follow it along.

That's fine if USA wants to send their joke of a team but it doesn't diminish the talent from the other nations who were present and what they accomplished.

Old
08-14-2017, 04:29 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

Quote:
Jack McBain!! lol I'll keep my on that one

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2017, 09:47 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsblitzkrieg View Post
So say we select 2 and say dahlin is gone do we select svechniikov? I think I could live with it, hopefully bigras could take the 2nd pairing role, and lock it down. I also wanna see a top goalie prospect. How's this season looking for goalies?
Oh it's looking quite good so far. For NHL teams and how they look at goalie prospects it's absolute gold mine for them in terms of big, highly skilled goalies. There's really no DiPietro small goalie in this draft right at the top. Instead you have the big goalies in Skarek, Gravel, Mandolese, Ingham, Annunen, etc.

Gigantor The Goalie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2017, 11:38 PM
agentblack

Damn this would be the draft to snag one or god willing two additional firsts

jumpstart this rebuild/retool/restock whatever

Old
08-15-2017, 02:32 AM
Cullen Bohannon

For some reason this franchise is allergic to extra first round picks. Besides 1998 when Lacroix was desperately trying to draft Vinny and using 4 first rounders to trade up, 2011 was the only real time they acquired an extra 1st rounder to actually draft more than one guy in the first round with.

I'm not saying it's not possible for them to get another 1st rounder this upcoming draft, but I'm just not going to even remotely get my hopes up for that possibility. It's just so far outside of their MO that you're bound to be disappointed by their inaction.

Cullen Bohannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2017, 06:01 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullen Bohannon View Post
For some reason this franchise is allergic to extra first round picks. Besides 1998 when Lacroix was desperately trying to draft Vinny and using 4 first rounders to trade up, 2011 was the only real time they acquired an extra 1st rounder to actually draft more than one guy in the first round with.

I'm not saying it's not possible for them to get another 1st rounder this upcoming draft, but I'm just not going to even remotely get my hopes up for that possibility. It's just so far outside of their MO that you're bound to be disappointed by their inaction.
Duchene trade or bust pretty much.

Old
08-15-2017, 09:06 AM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
Duchene trade or bust pretty much.
Depends on if Barrie gets traded before or after the draft as well. Cause I see something along the lines of Kapanen + 1st coming back in that trade.

Old
08-15-2017, 01:39 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Depends on if Barrie gets traded before or after the draft as well. Cause I see something along the lines of Kapanen + 1st coming back in that trade.
I assume you are hoping for a lottery ticket out of that 1st?

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2017, 02:58 PM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
I assume you are hoping for a lottery ticket out of that 1st?
I was thinking more something in the #10-15 overall range.

Old
08-15-2017, 03:06 PM
Skip2myBordyloo
Fallin for Dahlin

I think the Leafs are a lock for the playoffs.

I'm not opposed to moving Barrie now that Makar is coming up, he should essentially replace him.

Should move EJ but we need him to have a good year and boost his value.

Skip2myBordyloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2017, 03:18 PM
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs

I think the Leafs could take a step back next year. They only barely edged into a wild card spot and there will be some other teams who will be contending with then for it. If Matthews has a sophomore slump I could easily see them being on the other side of the bubble next year.

McMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2017, 03:22 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
I was thinking more something in the #10-15 overall range.
I'd rather aim for a single high end forward if you are trading Barrie. With Duchene likely looking to end up as a collection of futures. I don't think you can do that with both trades. If Barrie goes to Toronto they are a playoff team IMO.

CobraAcesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2017, 03:26 PM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
I'd rather aim for a single high end forward if you are trading Barrie. With Duchene likely looking to end up as a collection of futures. I don't think you can do that with both trades. If Barrie goes to Toronto they are a playoff team IMO.
I was envisioning the Barrie trade after the season. It's a lot of futures, but I'd be good with two 2nd line wing prospects, 3 1sts in this stacked draft (likely all top 20), and a 2nd for Barrie & Dutchy.