HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

The 2018 NHL Entry Draft Thread

View Poll Results: Early, but where do you see the Avs finishing after the 2017-18 season (pre-lottery)?
1st overall 13 14.13%
2nd overall 21 22.83%
3rd overall 12 13.04%
4th overall 8 8.70%
5th overall 7 7.61%
6-9th overall 21 22.83%
10-15th overall 4 4.35%
16-31st overall 6 6.52%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-16-2017, 04:01 PM
agentblack

vCash: 500
That would be crazy. One deal gets Poolparty, the other PLD, even if they hit 60% of their ultimate potential, thats still the makings of a damn good fwd corps

could really focus on D if something nuts like that went down.

agentblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2017, 04:03 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Which is why we should snap them up before they break through!
I think he will be fine, but I don't see a player that will be an offensive driver. Giving up Barrie who easily can be an offensive driver for a player that isn't... I just don't like the idea of that. Finding offense from the backend is harder than finding it at wing.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2017, 04:21 PM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I think he will be fine, but I don't see a player that will be an offensive driver. Giving up Barrie who easily can be an offensive driver for a player that isn't... I just don't like the idea of that. Finding offense from the backend is harder than finding it at wing.
I dunno if I'm that down on Pulju. I think he'll always do best finishing off a top line...like he would next to Landy & Jost/Compher/Dubois...but he should still grow into a very strong two way winger who can deliver 50+ points with tough usage on a line like that. And with the RHDs we'll ahve coming through I'd take that for Tyson if we're also moving matt for PLD & Murray.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2017, 04:31 PM
agentblack

idk im not super crazy about a straight up Pulju/Barrie swap. Something doesnt connect there for me.

Old
08-16-2017, 04:32 PM
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs

Pulju just had very unrealistic expectations put on him after the draft, and I think rushing him to the NHL did damage his confidence a little. I'm not sure if it's permanent or if a change of scenery trade would help, but Edmonton just can't let him go now. They need ELCs too badly.

McMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2017, 04:40 PM
agentblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMetal View Post
Pulju just had very unrealistic expectations put on him after the draft, and I think rushing him to the NHL did damage his confidence a little. I'm not sure if it's permanent or if a change of scenery trade would help, but Edmonton just can't let him go now. They need ELCs too badly.
Very true. They need him to pan out in the worst way.

Old
08-16-2017, 08:48 PM
Avsblitzkrieg

vCash: 710
Wasn't pool party supposed to be more NHL ready the Laine. I just don't think it's good idea to trade Barrie for a winter we need the d. I think we'll be alot better there this year.

Avsblitzkrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2017, 11:01 PM
Pokecheque
armoredheadspace

Oh THAT's who Pool Party is

No, no way would I trade Barrie for him. Obviously way early yet but I'm not sold on him yet. That's the thing that sucks about the Oilers getting McDavid (and also Draisaitl I guess). They can fail miserably virtually everywhere else and they'll probably be fine.

Pokecheque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2017, 11:05 AM
Thepoolmaster

https://instagram.com/p/BX73WoyDNYr/

This is what we'll miss out on when the Avs inevitably lose the draft lottery after coming bottom 3

Thepoolmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2017, 03:20 PM
Cullen Bohannon

Sigh, it'll probably be a perennial playoff team that has a down year and wins the lottery that will draft him.

Must force myself not to get excited for this kid wearing the A.

Cullen Bohannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2017, 03:56 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

I just don't understand this attitude. We can't dismiss a draft 10 months before it happens. Dahlin going first overall isn't written in blood either. A draft isn't about one player. Maybe it was for McJesus but the top 10 that year was pretty damn incredible. That can happen this year too.

tigervixxxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2017, 04:49 PM
LieutenantDangle
Barry McKockner

Don't you get it guys? We lost the draft lottery 3 times this year so that we could win it next year.

LieutenantDangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2017, 04:59 PM
agentblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
I just don't understand this attitude. We can't dismiss a draft 10 months before it happens. Dahlin going first overall isn't written in blood either. A draft isn't about one player. Maybe it was for McJesus but the top 10 that year was pretty damn incredible. That can happen this year too.
Definitely feels like we're winding ourselves up for a disappointment either way. But yeah I bet we will be talking about someone else after all the junior hoopla (hlinka, worlds, memorial) is all over next year

Old
08-18-2017, 05:34 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
lol nobody is dismissing the draft.

Just preparing for the likelihood that we dont get Dahlin. Everyone still recognizes the strength in the rest of the draft.

Dahlin will go 1st overall. I have no doubt about this.

Pierce Hawthorne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2017, 08:48 PM
Pokecheque
armoredheadspace

I'm just pulling for them to have a reasonably successful year. They need to get a good player outta the draft no matter where they pick.

Pokecheque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2017, 09:27 PM
agentblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokecheque View Post
I'm just pulling for them to have a reasonably successful year. They need to get a good player outta the draft no matter where they pick.
Amen to that, hell for all we know the Bolts will win the lottery and get Dahlin...which would make everyone vomit of jealousy

Old
08-18-2017, 09:27 PM
landy92mack29
Fire Sakic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
lol nobody is dismissing the draft.

Just preparing for the likelihood that we dont get Dahlin. Everyone still recognizes the strength in the rest of the draft.

Dahlin will go 1st overall. I have no doubt about this.
You should try watching Svechnikov

landy92mack29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2017, 10:14 PM
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs

Quote:
Originally Posted by landy92mack29 View Post
Svech reminds me a lot of Malkin. He's absolutely dominant out there, constantly driving play towards the net. I still like Dahlin more, but I could see some teams liking Svechnikov, and all it takes is one.

Old
08-18-2017, 10:41 PM
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMetal View Post
Svech reminds me a lot of Malkin. He's absolutely dominant out there, constantly driving play towards the net. I still like Dahlin more, but I could see some teams liking Svechnikov, and all it takes is one.
With the preference for forwards over dman 1st overall it wouldn't be surprising if Svech went 1st...although if he was a Center instead of a Winger that positional effect would be more pronounced.

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-18-2017, 11:24 PM
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
With the preference for forwards over dman 1st overall it wouldn't be surprising if Svech went 1st...although if he was a Center instead of a Winger that positional effect would be more pronounced.
The forwards usually go over defensemen because they have more flash in their games. Dahlin plays such a high impact game from the blueline that I think it's likely he gets enough hype to go 1st, but Svech should not be discounted for that. He's just so damn good.

Old
08-19-2017, 12:19 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by landy92mack29 View Post
You should try watching Dahlin

Svech is great, but he's not as skilled as Dahlin. The only chance he has at going #1 is if the team picking #1 is afraid of taking a Dman so high like we have seen on occasion in the past. But I dont think there will be anything to worry about when it comes to Dahlin. He's as close to a sure thing of a #1D as we've ever seen at the top of the draft IMO.

As Metal just said above, if Svechnikov played Center I think more of an argument could be made for him going #1 if he has a remarkable year. But as a Winger it wont happen. Tkachuk probably has the best chance of anyone at usurping Dahlin IMO, but he would obviously have to have a truly incredible year to even make that a possibility.

Old
08-19-2017, 12:22 AM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

Seth Jones was supposed to go #1 too. I think I'd quit talking in absolutes in August.

tigervixxxen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-19-2017, 12:27 AM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Seth Jones was supposed to go #1 too. I think I'd quit talking in absolutes in August.
And it looks more and more like a major mistake every day.

Old
08-19-2017, 12:37 AM
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs

Quote:
Jones didn't play as flashy a game as Dahlin does. I think his game pops more than most D you see in the draft. MacKinnon had the wow factor in his game that dazzled the Avs, I think it's likely that whoever picks 1st will be similarly dazzled by Dahlin.

Old
08-19-2017, 01:07 AM
landy92mack29
Fire Sakic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce Hawthorne View Post
You should try watching Dahlin

Svech is great, but he's not as skilled as Dahlin. The only chance he has at going #1 is if the team picking #1 is afraid of taking a Dman so high like we have seen on occasion in the past. But I dont think there will be anything to worry about when it comes to Dahlin. He's as close to a sure thing of a #1D as we've ever seen at the top of the draft IMO.

As Metal just said above, if Svechnikov played Center I think more of an argument could be made for him going #1 if he has a remarkable year. But as a Winger it wont happen. Tkachuk probably has the best chance of anyone at usurping Dahlin IMO, but he would obviously have to have a truly incredible year to even make that a possibility.
Dahlin is special but he has holes in his game he has to fix and prove himself more. His upside is ridiculous but Svechnikov's ceiling isn't that far off. It's a 1A/1B situation and will be a great battle. The only player I think has a chance of cracking the top 2 other than those is Veleno

landy92mack29 is offline   Reply With Quote