HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Worst trade Habs ever made Chelios for Savard

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2006, 12:20 PM
John Flyers Fan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netro
As for the Recchi trade for Desjardins and LeClair, I still like it for the Habs. First, I don't believe you evaluate a trade on what the players do in the new city. There is no guarantee that LeClair would have flourished the same way in mtl as he did in Philly. Second, I think Desjardins has been one of the most overrated players of the last 15 years. He was not physical, not good defensively and had a tendency to turn the puck over in his own end under pressure. He did have decent offensive skills but I was thrilled when he was traded. They got Mark Recchi in his prime, a highly skilled forward, and at the time, he was exactly what the Habs needed. Unfortunately, he played on a team that was eventually decimated during the Houle-Tremblay era and he had no support around him by the time he left.
If anything Desjardins has been underrated. He was tremendous defensively.

That trade single handedly turned the Flyers from five straight years of missing the playoffs to an instant Cup contender.

The late 90's Flyers teams had little depth, and were carried by four players (Lindros, LeClair, Brind'amour and Desjardins). Of the four players Desjardins was the most valuable. He carried a shaky defense on his back for a long time.

Old
04-04-2006, 12:23 PM
LePoche69

Quote:
I believe that Wickenheiser was ranked #1 by Central Scouting that year.

By the way, little trivia, Denis Savard was selected #3 in that draft. Who went #2?

Nyhabsfan - you are allowed to disagree, it is the beauty of opinions. Personally, I never thought that LeClair would come close to what he did in Philly and don't think he would have come close if he had stayed with the Habs. He just fitted in perfectly with Lindros and Renberg.
Dave Babych

Old
04-04-2006, 12:24 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan

The late 90's Flyers teams had little depth, and were carried by four players (Lindros, LeClair, Brind'amour and Desjardins). Of the four players Desjardins was the most valuable. He carried a shaky defense on his back for a long time.
Agreed.

+ In 1993, Desjardins scored two goals in the most important game of the Stanley Cup finals.

So no one is allowed to criticize him. NO ONE!

Old
04-04-2006, 12:24 PM
Netro

Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69
Dave Babych
Yes - nice work.

Old
04-04-2006, 12:27 PM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
Quote:
Originally Posted by aymand
Agreed.

+ In 1993, Desjardins scored two goals in the most important game of the Stanley Cup finals.

Was it not a Hat Trick??

Old
04-04-2006, 12:29 PM
Netro

Quote:
Originally Posted by aymand
Agreed.

Desjardins had a hat trick in Game 2.

John - There is no doubt that the trade worked well for Philly. Never said it didn't. I just think that it was not nearly the disaster most Habs fans think it is. I liked it at the time and still like it today because Recchi has success in mtl.

As for Desjardins, I watched him throughout his career in Mtl, watched him in Philly (mostly in the playoffs) and watched him represent Canada. IMO, he turned the puck over at too high a rate. A group of us used to have a running joke about the number of times he would turn the puck over in his own end.

Old
04-04-2006, 12:34 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMMR
Was it not a Hat Trick??
right...

brain cramp.

Even better.

Old
04-04-2006, 03:28 PM
Rather Gingerly 1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
He was not. Savard was the obvious choice. Wick couldn't skate and didn't pass the puck. Lafleur is rumored to have wanted him, but the Canadiens were generally run by a trio of old school Pollack guys (Al McNeil, Floyd Curry, Claude Ruel, with Beliveau having a bit of say, but perhaps not in this matter). Bowman and Pollack were both gone and Grundman was the "managing director" overseeing the hockey guys. They basically told him what to do, so blame it on them. .
Pollock said he would have taken Savard. Because he had seen the same thing a few years earlier in Mike Bossy.

But Central Scouting had Wickenheiser rated #1

Old
04-04-2006, 03:30 PM
Capitano

Quote:
Desjardins had a hat trick in Game 2.

John - There is no doubt that the trade worked well for Philly. Never said it didn't. I just think that it was not nearly the disaster most Habs fans think it is. I liked it at the time and still like it today because Recchi has success in mtl.

As for Desjardins, I watched him throughout his career in Mtl, watched him in Philly (mostly in the playoffs) and watched him represent Canada. IMO, he turned the puck over at too high a rate. A group of us used to have a running joke about the number of times he would turn the puck over in his own end.
I was at that game...

Cap

Closed Thread