HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Did anyone see the 1984 semifinals against the Oilers vs. North Stars?

Old
04-03-2006, 09:44 PM
puckhead103*

vCash: 500
Did anyone see the 1984 semifinals against the Oilers vs. North Stars?

did anyone remember that series?

i know the oilers swept them in four games.....

i saw only the box score of that game....in game 3 where the oilers scored first and then in the second the north stars went up 5-3....then the oilers in the third period scored 5 straight goals....

i think gretzky had a penalty shot in that game.......

on the tv side.....either u lived in minnesota to see the game since USA network had televised the habs and isles series or lived in western canada to see this series...........

i know cbc once written to me some years ago that the eastern part of canada focused more on the habs/isle contest than showing the oil/north stars...

the nhl at that time really screwed up with the tv schedule during the 1980s....

puckhead103* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2006, 03:53 AM
Hab-a-maniac

Insane game. I've seen a clips package of it and I think it's a game where the Oil won 8-5 and these highlights (NHL network showing it as the 1984 stanley cup video, narrated by Dave Hodge and a good find if you can see it) showed the North Stars scored 4 goals on a 5 minute PP to go up 5-3 before Edmonton mounted the comeback. Gretz scores on a PS in slick fashion (holding like he's gonna shoot but before he gets into close, smoothly deking and flipping a backhand over Don Beaupre's glove) and Ken Linseman for the third straight series (you have company, Mr. Gelinas) had the series winning goal.

Not a romp for the Oilers like it was in 1983 when they battered the Hawks in 4 straight (8-2, 8-4, 3-2, 6-3 I think was the last game). It's funny. Watching all the highlights of Oiler runs to the cup, the most impressive was 1988 cause they went 16-2, but in 1983 (another video I caught) they went 11-1 before getting swept and were absolutely dominant. They pulverized Winnipeg in 4, beat Calgary in 5 (winning by scores of 7-4, 6-3, 10-2 and 9-1!!!) and swept Chicago. And the goals were tremendous too. The Isles sweep was so sudden and shocking based on the dominance displayed by Edmonton (Gretzky had 2 four-goal games, Messier had 2 hat tricks and a four goal game and Anderson had a 4-goal game and a hat trick all in one playoff year).

They had a bit of trouble in 1984 with the underdog Flames pushing them to 7 games in the Smythe final, had trouble with Chicago in a 6-game win in 1985 (the highest scoring series ever with the goalies getting lit up: Edm. outscored the Hawks 44-25!!!), the Flyers pushed them to 7 in 1987 finals and they had to make a 3-1 series comeback against Winnipeg and come back from down 2-1 on the Hawks in the conf. finals during the 1990 post-season. 1988 was the only year where they literally steamrolled everyone in sight and wouldn't you know it, they weren't the clear favourites that season!

Hab-a-maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2006, 04:36 PM
puckhead103*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab-a-maniac
Insane game. I've seen a clips package of it and I think it's a game where the Oil won 8-5 and these highlights (NHL network showing it as the 1984 stanley cup video, narrated by Dave Hodge and a good find if you can see it) showed the North Stars scored 4 goals on a 5 minute PP to go up 5-3 before Edmonton mounted the comeback. Gretz scores on a PS in slick fashion (holding like he's gonna shoot but before he gets into close, smoothly deking and flipping a backhand over Don Beaupre's glove) and Ken Linseman for the third straight series (you have company, Mr. Gelinas) had the series winning goal.

Not a romp for the Oilers like it was in 1983 when they battered the Hawks in 4 straight (8-2, 8-4, 3-2, 6-3 I think was the last game). It's funny. Watching all the highlights of Oiler runs to the cup, the most impressive was 1988 cause they went 16-2, but in 1983 (another video I caught) they went 11-1 before getting swept and were absolutely dominant. They pulverized Winnipeg in 4, beat Calgary in 5 (winning by scores of 7-4, 6-3, 10-2 and 9-1!!!) and swept Chicago. And the goals were tremendous too. The Isles sweep was so sudden and shocking based on the dominance displayed by Edmonton (Gretzky had 2 four-goal games, Messier had 2 hat tricks and a four goal game and Anderson had a 4-goal game and a hat trick all in one playoff year).

They had a bit of trouble in 1984 with the underdog Flames pushing them to 7 games in the Smythe final, had trouble with Chicago in a 6-game win in 1985 (the highest scoring series ever with the goalies getting lit up: Edm. outscored the Hawks 44-25!!!), the Flyers pushed them to 7 in 1987 finals and they had to make a 3-1 series comeback against Winnipeg and come back from down 2-1 on the Hawks in the conf. finals during the 1990 post-season. 1988 was the only year where they literally steamrolled everyone in sight and wouldn't you know it, they weren't the clear favourites that season!
thanks...

it seems i can't find the last 3 games of that northstar/oil series...the only game got is game 1 where the oil blew them out....i've been looking for that series the last 8 years...

i just wish cbc still had the rights to games pre 1998...and u can buy it from them......

puckhead103* is offline   Reply With Quote