HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Phantoms acquire PJ Stock

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2003, 07:17 AM
Sabes

vCash: 500
Phantoms acquire PJ Stock

Wednesday, October 29, 2003

P-BRUINS ACQUIRE ANDRE SAVAGE IN EXCHANGE FOR STOCK

MEMBER OF 1999 CALDER CUP CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM RETURNS

Providence, RI --

The Providence Bruins announced today that they have acquired center Andre Savage from the Philadelphia Phantoms (AHL) in exchange for center P.J. Stock. Savage, a 28-year-old native of Ottawa, Ontario, began his career with the P-Bruins in 1998-99, when he was named to the AHL All-Rookie Team while finishing second on the Bruins with 27 goals and 69 points in 63 games. His outstanding play as a rookie helped Providence to the best record in the AHL and the team's first Calder Cup championship.

Savage signed as a free agent with the Boston Bruins on June 12, 1998, following a four-year career at Michigan Tech University (WCHA). He split three seasons from 1998-2001 between Boston and Providence, helping the P-Bruins capture one Calder Cup championship and reach three straight Eastern Conference Finals. The 6'0", 195-pound Savage currently ranks 11th on the P-Bruins' career list with 55-74-129 totals in 128 games. He also had 8-13-21 totals and 10 PIM in 50 games with Boston.

Savage signed as a free agent with the Vancouver Canucks in the summer of 2001 and spent the 2001-02 season with their AHL affiliate, the Manitoba Moose. He led the team and tied for fourth in the AHL with 35 goals, while finishing second on the team overall with 61 points in 76 games. He signed as a free agent with the Philadelphia Flyers in the summer of 2002, and finished third on the Philadelphia Phantoms (AHL) with 11-31-42 totals in 64 games. He also notched 2-1-3 totals in 16 games with the Flyers. Savage had scored one goal and registered 12 PIM in eight games this season with the Phantoms.

Stock, now playing in his seventh professional season, was reassigned to Providence by the Boston Bruins on October 14. He had played in one scoreless game with Boston and tallied one goal and 2 PIM in four games with Providence. He has 27-74-74 totals and 781 PIM in 173 career AHL games, including nine with the Phantoms during the 2000-01 season. He has also played in the AHL with Providence and the Hartford Wolf Pack. Stock also has 5-21-26 totals and 523 PIM in 235 career NHL games with Boston, the New York Rangers, the Montreal Canadiens and the Philadelphia Flyers.

Old
10-29-2003, 07:54 AM
Stonehands77

Stocker is back?!?! FREAKING SWEET!!!! PJ is definitely a crowd favorite everywhere he goes, and while he may not have much talent, he's got heart and he's willing to throw down with anyone. At least games with PJ are entertaining, that must be said.

Of course, Bruins fans will be unhappy with this, since he was a favorite around here.

Old
10-29-2003, 08:04 AM
Rex8

vCash:
A virtual Webb clone - same type of game. Good depth guy and more heart than Savage.

Old
10-29-2003, 08:31 AM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
PJ!!! Nice! This guy's a great guy to have on the team. Crowd favourite, plays with alot of courage and just as much grit. Liable to pop a couple too. Great move.

Old
10-29-2003, 08:36 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

It was an AHL trade, so the Flyers still own the rights to Andre Savage and Boston still owns the rights to P.J. Stock, they are simply playing for different AHL teams

Old
10-29-2003, 08:43 AM
Cuiff

PJ is back in Philly. Nice!

Old
10-29-2003, 09:15 AM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
Quote:
Originally Posted by forbesy
It was an AHL trade, so the Flyers still own the rights to Andre Savage and Boston still owns the rights to P.J. Stock, they are simply playing for different AHL teams
Does this mean that he cannot play for the Flyers??

Old
10-29-2003, 09:22 AM
Kevin Forbes
Hockey's Future Staff

correct
he's still owned and being paid by the Boston Bruins
he just plays for the Philadelphia Phantoms

The Flyers can't call him up (but they can call up Andre Savage from Providence) and would need to make a deal with the Bruins to actually acquire Stock for their NHL roster

so you have him, but only in the AHL

Old
10-29-2003, 10:11 AM
Flyman

Send a message via MSN to Flyman
*****...I was so happy to think that Stocker could be back with Philly. A Brash-Stock-Fridge line would have been terrific!

Old
10-29-2003, 11:07 AM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_Love
Stocker is back?!?! FREAKING SWEET!!!! PJ is definitely a crowd favorite everywhere he goes, and while he may not have much talent, he's got heart and he's willing to throw down with anyone. At least games with PJ are entertaining, that must be said.

Of course, Bruins fans will be unhappy with this, since he was a favorite around here.
To be honest with you some of young fans probably will be disappointed
but I much prefer to have Travis Green or Sergei Zinovjev as #4 center
than Stocker. I liked him but more for his journal entries and personality.
Good teams don't have players like him on their rosters.

Old
10-29-2003, 11:58 AM
Green Mile

I wonder what the motivation behind both AHL clubs was to this trade? Maybe the Phantoms want a little more excitement or whatever. At first I thought the Flyers got his rights because after the entire Webb fiasco, Stock would seem like a good choice. But an AHL-only trade is... weird. I do'nt know, I guess it's like - hey, we have Boston's guy playing on OUR farm team... let's screw them over and have Stock sit forever.

*edit - I just heard otherwise - that Stock right's and contract are retained by the Flyers. The only way he could play for the Phantoms and not be called up by the Flyers is if he was on loan from Providence and no trade was involved. If this is true, this is awesome news.

*edit #2 - Okay, now I hear it's almost like a loan-for-loan trade, where Stock is on loan to the Phantoms (because their games have been dull this year?) and Savage is on loan to Providence.

I can't believe I'm letting a trade of this small, small magnitude drive me crazy? heh

Old
10-29-2003, 12:08 PM
paxtang

good teams do have players like him on them, they just have to know how to use him right.

Old
10-29-2003, 08:06 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
good teams do have players like him on them, they just have to know how to use him right.
Phantoms need some toughness anyway IMO its a good deal.

Old
10-30-2003, 05:05 AM
Cross Out The Eyes*

Send a message via AIM to Cross Out The Eyes* Send a message via Yahoo to Cross Out The Eyes*
UGGGGHHHHHH.

I really thought/think we needed a pest. A guy who could run around and stir $hit up, piss off other teams, and drop the gloves.

I thought we had our guy in Webb. Webb doesn't fight, but he fits the role otherwise to a "t." Of course them losers in Pittsburgh screwed us over with that.

So after this, I am still hoping for that guy.

Last night I here before the game we got PJ Stock. Right away I was stoked. I'd rather have Stock then Webb, because Stock does everything Webb does, but he happens to be the toughest pound for pound fighter in the game.

Again, like Webb, I find dissapointment.

We did NOT acquire PJ Stock. Stock was loaned to the Phantoms from providence, and Savage was loaned to Providence from the Phantoms. Stock CANNOT play in the NHL for the Flyers.

So, aside from the dissapointment, I am wondering what the *** point of this deal is? Stock is an NHL'er. Why acquire him as a loaner for the Phantoms? We could really use him on the Flyers. Boston waived the guy two weeks ago, it's not like they wouldn't trade him, and trade him for a minimal amount. I'd take Stock over Fedoruk right now in a heartbeat.

Let's face it, Fedoruk ain't cutting it. He's been playing OK, but he hasn't been hitting or fighting enough.
With Brashear out we have seen how teams don't even think about twice about pulling off crap with Fedoruk around. With Brashear on board, Fedoruk doesn't serve a role.

Chouinard needs to play for the Flyers when there is a spot open on a scoring line. Otherwise he needs to work on his game with the Phantoms.

Basically, we need a 13th forward, and we need a pest. Hopefully Clarke goes out and gets one. After getting Stock, but only as an AHL loaner, I am starting to doubt it, and starting to get pissed. We all saw what Tyson Nash did to our game against Phoenix, we need a guy like this.

We'll see, I still think at some point Clarke will have to and will get a guy like this to be our 13th forward. Fedoruk just isn't cutting it, and Chouinard is not a fourth line type player.

Old
10-30-2003, 07:54 AM
BruinsGirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtang
He doesn't have any skills. Really he can't score to save his life. I think the only goal in reagular season for two years he scored when they placed him on purpose with Thornton, Murray. B's were winning 7-2 against Columbus and 5 - 3 PP for us.

Were would you place him? (Higher than the 4th line?????)

Old
10-30-2003, 09:43 AM
paxtang

I said you have to know how to use him right. He has no offensive ability, so trying to use him in an offensive area woudl be stupid. He can be a great pest an a sparkplug, and if you let him play his game he is a great boost to his team.

Closed Thread