HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Perezhogin - season in review (thus far)

Closed Thread

Old
04-03-2006, 11:45 PM
Mike8

vCash: 500
Perezhogin - season in review (thus far)

Since this Canuck fanatic (44_bertuzzi_44) came in asking whether Perezhogin's a bust or not, which has stirred up some interesting discussion, I decided to open a new thread on the topic.

I think asking whether Perezhogin is a bust or not is simple for anyone following the team: of course not. He has bust potential: absolutely, but he has just as much potential to fulfill the (realistic) hopes that Montreal (the organization and fans) have in him.

The more interesting question: has Perezhogin improved this season?

Has he regressed?

How?

I've seen Montreal (the poster: Dan) post that he's felt Perezhogin's regressed this season. I know Dan's spent time watching his tapes in Russia, and the AHL.

I haven't seen Perezhogin at all in Russia (from last season), but I did see a fair bit of him in the AHL. I wouldn't say he's regressed, and while he seemingly reached a plateau at one point in the NHL, I think he's looked good of late. Here's why:

1) Perezhogin's competing in all three zones on a consistent basis. He's not taking short-cuts, and he's continually moving his skates. Earlier in the year, he had been caught floating in the neutral zone or not hurrying back on transition defense when he was caught deep in the offensive zone. This is a good mark of improvement. If Perezhogin's going to enjoy his potential in the NHL, his bread and butter is his fluid skating.

2) He's found a niche role on the team. While this isn't a role any of us would like to see with Perezhogin longer-term, he's providing a spark next to Plekanec (and Murray, and perhaps Bulis--we'll see). They're tireless with their skating, fundamentally strong enough to line up against stronger, offensively-focused opposing lines, and excellent on the forecheck. This is a comfort-zone for Perezhogin: the line isn't expected to score goals, but they're expected to work hard and compete. This enables Perezhogin to play with offensive talent (Plekanec) in a virtually stress-free environment, thus (hopefully) allowing him to develop his offensive game without the expectations of immediate production--which is what Perezhogin would have playing next to Koivu or Kovalev.

3) Perezhogin is generating more and more scoring chances--either for himself or for his linemates, usually as a direct result of his speed. This will only result in pucks in the net if he keeps it up--he's not a Bulis-type player who will get endless opportunities and open nets only to hit a poor schmuck in the crowd with his shot.

Where he can improve & what to watch for:

- consistency. I think if Perezhogin continues competing in all three zones, continues generating scoring opportunities, continues skating constantly through his shift, he'll start putting pucks in the net

- getting his nose dirty. I'd like to see him become a little more fearless. To be a good goal scorer, one needs to be opportunistic. To be opportunistic, one needs to be willing to go into the crease and jam a puck home here and there--especially just to get the confidence back. Garbage goals are important for goal scorers. Perezhogin needs to be able to take a run at the goalie, through behemoths on the blueline if it means putting the puck home. We've seen some fearless play from him (as far as diving towards the crease to put the puck in) when played with Kovalev, but haven't seen that in awhile.

Thoughts on his play, progression (regression?) so far? Where he needs to improve to meet the potential we have in him?

Old
04-04-2006, 12:03 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 133
There was a rumor at deadline that a deal for Bertuzzi was about to go down . But Vancouver asked for Perezhogin as well and Gainey turned it down . Maybe that's why the Canuck fanatic came here talking smack about Pepe

Old
04-04-2006, 06:51 AM
Fozz

All Perezhogin needs to be an impact forward is time. Time to get used to the speed of the NHL and time to get confidence. Once he has had that time and experience, he'll be able to display his skills and show us what he's really capable of.

Old
04-04-2006, 07:04 AM
Fozz

I just saw that thread on Perezhogin from 44_bertuzzi_44. To bad it's closed because all I would say to him is that Markus Naslund had these stats in his first NHL season:

71g - 4g - 7a - 11pts

Also, he didn't break out until he was 25 years old. Enough said.

Old
04-04-2006, 07:07 AM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
He's a habs player, therefore he has to be a bust.

Old
04-04-2006, 07:19 AM
RC51

Look at it this way.

If Prez had showed his stuff and have developed his chemistry with line mates and he still can't do it then I would worry.
BUY this sure is not the case.
You can still see Prez as NOT on the same page with his linemates.
You can see the effect of his orders from management, mainly to play a two way game. to take care of his wing.

He is much better now in that regard and comes back a lot now.
BUT it's clear that Prez has speed, skill, and a good shot which has yet to be let lose. Chemistry and timing is what's needed now, and that means, play him, play him and play him some more with the same guys.

Old
04-04-2006, 08:14 AM
Dan K
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via MSN to Dan K
I'm actually looking forward to seeing Bulis - Plekanec - Perezhogin tonight. That line should be able to flat out fly, with 3 quick skaters.

Perezhogin may not have met all of our highest dreams and expectations this year, but it has been a good year of experience for him, as his adjustment to the NHL game is coming along slower than some.

However, he is certainly not a bust right now, and only time will tell how things work out for him. GO PEREZ!

Old
04-04-2006, 08:18 AM
Capitano

Patience my friends...patience. Perezhogin is an offensive player who is adjusting to the NHL speed and style of play. Here is a guy that is used to playing with guys who pass and shoot well, now he has to adjust to the life of a skilled player amongst some not-so-skilled teammates.

Once he gains a little confidence, look out.

Cap

Old
04-04-2006, 08:54 AM
hab

the lack of points dont bother me, hes a rookie, but he seems very timid out there. I would think he needs to get comfortable with the physical aspect of the NHL. I think it is VERY unlikely he will be a bust. wheather he will be a 25 goal scorer or a 40 goal scorer, thats my question

Old
04-04-2006, 09:40 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

I think he's looked good of late as well. He's backchecking hard, getting more involved in the offensive zone and his speed has always been a good asset for him. Hopefully the production will increase. I could easily see him having a great season next year or he could continue to struggle to produce. He does have a lot of offensive skills just so far hasn't really shown them off. Personally I have been really disappointed in his season overall and I expected his play would be better. I had hoped for more points, especially goals (say around 15 so he's not that far off) but it's more his play that has me concerned. His lack of strength makes him easy to knock down and hard for him to win battles along the boards and in the corners. But at least he's working hard, and I liked Gainey's comments about Perezhogin and how he's worked hard to stay in the lineup over Bulis, so as long as he's doing the things Gainey and Carbo want to see from him, it's a step in the right direction.

Old
04-04-2006, 09:56 AM
Istvan

I think Perezhogin will turn out to be a dynamic 30+ scorer and possibly more assists within the next couple of years. I don't see any signs of him being a bust.
I'd be pretty patient with him.

Old
04-04-2006, 09:59 AM
mclusky*

He plays better on the right.

Old
04-04-2006, 10:03 AM
Habs

His hockey sense worries me, or lack of. He really looks lost out there, like he doesn't have a nose for the puck.

Yes he has some nice moves, he skates well, but so did Oleg Petrov. He's had every chance to perform, played with the right players, but really he hasn't shown us anything spectacular.

Obviously he's worth the chance, it does take time to develop, but so far I haven't been impressed.

Old
04-04-2006, 10:07 AM
Teufelsdreck

Cut him some slack. Even with his ups and downs, Perezhogin's rookie season is no worse than Ribeiro's was. He's not strong enough? Think about the pages and pages of posts that likened Ribeiro to a rag doll. Perezhogin is fast and a good forechecker, and he can finish. I like seeing him on a line with Plekanec.

Old
04-04-2006, 10:10 AM
Vasculio
Booya !

As I said on the other thread, Perez is a kid, just look at his face when he scores (or the last time, which sadly I can't remember...)

He needs time to adjust to the intense and physical play of the NHL, and especially to the smaller ice surface (I know, in the AHL it's the same size, but last season he was in the RSL)

Also, with the way Bulis and Zednik are playing and switched around in the lineup during the last weeks, we can expect one or perhaps even the 2 of 'em to get a goodbye call after this season... so more room for him, and, hopefully, Kostitsyn

Old
04-04-2006, 10:11 AM
GoneAway

vCash:
I think with Perez it all comes down to consistancy.

He has two gears: Turbo and Dagenais

The unfortunate part is that he has a hard time finding an inbetween.

For most part, Perez has either played very good games or very bad games.

Old
04-04-2006, 10:17 AM
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
I think he's looked good of late as well. He's backchecking hard, getting more involved in the offensive zone and his speed has always been a good asset for him. Hopefully the production will increase. I could easily see him having a great season next year or he could continue to struggle to produce. He does have a lot of offensive skills just so far hasn't really shown them off. Personally I have been really disappointed in his season overall and I expected his play would be better. I had hoped for more points, especially goals (say around 15 so he's not that far off) but it's more his play that has me concerned. His lack of strength makes him easy to knock down and hard for him to win battles along the boards and in the corners. But at least he's working hard, and I liked Gainey's comments about Perezhogin and how he's worked hard to stay in the lineup over Bulis, so as long as he's doing the things Gainey and Carbo want to see from him, it's a step in the right direction.
I think one thing people are not considering in assessing Perez's play this year is that I believe he still is on probation as a result of the charges brought due to the AHL incident. If that's the case, then it is only natural that he would shy away from the physical side of the game. After all, it was his physical involvement in that game that resulted in someone trying to take his head off and the fall out that resulted from that. I think Perez is going to be fine, but is under a "dark cloud" as a result of being on parole. I really think he's shying away from the physical aspects of the game because he's afraid of becoming involved in another "incident" which could have far more serious consequences if he's still on probation. I cannot help but think that this is something that weighs heavy on his mind. Just a thought.

Old
04-04-2006, 10:21 AM
Dolphinwave

1997-98 Boston Bruins NHL 55 3 4 7 19

These are Joe Thornton's stats as a rookie...Cut some slack on Perez guys!
I ain't saying Perez is the next Thornton. I am only saying anyone can be not so good in its firts year!

Old
04-04-2006, 10:27 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherKing
I think one thing people are not considering in assessing Perez's play this year is that I believe he still is on probation as a result of the charges brought due to the AHL incident. If that's the case, then it is only natural that he would shy away from the physical side of the game. After all, it was his physical involvement in that game that resulted in someone trying to take his head off and the fall out that resulted from that. I think Perez is going to be fine, but is under a "dark cloud" as a result of being on parole. I really think he's shying away from the physical aspects of the game because he's afraid of becoming involved in another "incident" which could have far more serious consequences if he's still on probation. I cannot help but think that this is something that weighs heavy on his mind. Just a thought.

It certainly effects him personally. There was an article a couple weeks back from one of the papers that covers the barons and in an interview he talked about how much it still effects him to this day. He talked about how he still spends a lot of time thinking about it, so it's got to have some sort of effect on him. I'll try and find the article if I can.

Old
04-04-2006, 10:49 AM

We've seen some good things from him, and some not so good things...I really can't see how anyone can label him a bust though

When I see Perezhogin play, I see alot of what Mike8 sees as well, a guy skating hard and competing in all 3 zones, sometimes he skates too hard that he overskates pucks when they're loose, or fans on his shot, etc. He's too anxious sometimes, he has to find a happy medium in terms of when to use his speed and when to slow it down just a tad. I also like his willingless to carry the puck and drive to the net, as evidenced on his rush for Murray's first goal. I've seen a few times when his line is cycling the puck, he'll get the puck on the boards and instead of sending it back on the cycle, he'll shield the puck from the defender and he'll try to head for the slot or drive to the net. Those are things I love seeing, although he hasn't had much success with that this year, he's at least showing a willingless.

He should be better next year, at least I hope, as his confidence gains I think we'll see a great finish to the end of the year for him, and I also think he'll be a key contributor should we make the playoffs, just a hunch

Old
04-04-2006, 10:59 AM
montreal
Time to Get Down

Here's the link to the article I was talking about.

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plai...oll=2#continue

Old
04-04-2006, 11:01 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
Originally Posted by hab
the lack of points dont bother me, hes a rookie, but he seems very timid out there. I would think he needs to get comfortable with the physical aspect of the NHL. I think it is VERY unlikely he will be a bust. wheather he will be a 25 goal scorer or a 40 goal scorer, thats my question
Ask Keith Primeau if Perez is physical?

Old
04-04-2006, 12:39 PM
oli500

thing is youre not going to put offensive number's if youre playing on a fourth line. Look at higgins , when playing on the fourth line and with ribeiro he dident do much. Put him with koivu and boom there he goes. Same thing happen with perez at the begining of the season. Perez had his best outings while playing with koivu.

Dont know if you guys notice but every time we tried to put some one with ribeiro that player's production slowed down big time. rater it was higgins,perezhogin,plekanec,ryder even kovalev every one seems to slow down when paired up with rebs.

Thats why we absolutely need to upgrade at center and get rid of ribs. No one had succes with him.

Ive allways said that in order for our rookies to hit there potential they need to play on top lines. Instead of wasting money on top line players I say we give it to our youngster and sign 3rd and fourth line grinders.

Old
04-04-2006, 12:42 PM
FisherKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Here's the link to the article I was talking about.

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plai...oll=2#continue
Interesting. Thanks Dan. Not really surprising. Look at Bertuzzi since his incident - not the same player at all. This stuff takes a toll, especially on one as young as Perezhogin. He'll be fine, but it's going to take time. I'm sure Gainey and Co recognize this.

Old
04-04-2006, 12:49 PM
Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordchezz
He has two gears: Turbo and Dagenais.
Hey, I'm flattered that playing like me is actually considered a good thing!

Closed Thread