HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is It Just Me......

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2003, 08:40 AM
kazo

vCash: 500
Is It Just Me......

.......or are the games, especially this year, slow and almost devoid of passion. Hitting? Forget it. It just doesn't happen much anymore and when it does it usually results in a penalty. It's a very simple game comprised or speed, hitting, and passion but when it has none of that it can be pretty ugly.

Seems more like watching the Legends of Hockey than the NHL.

Old
10-29-2003, 08:52 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazo
.......or are the games, especially this year, slow and almost devoid of passion. Hitting? Forget it. It just doesn't happen much anymore and when it does it usually results in a penalty. It's a very simple game comprised or speed, hitting, and passion but when it has none of that it can be pretty ugly.

Seems more like watching the Legends of Hockey than the NHL.
It ain't you. But I also think it ain't new.

I think the league has been moving in that direction for a while now. That's why the playoffs are so exciting. There's hitting, there's passion, there's grit and guys playing hurt.

I thought the elbowing penalty called on Simon last night was disgraceful. He threw a little elbow, the defenseman should have thrown a jab and then move on. It did not need to be called.

To your point, however, I think you will find that the teams that win are the teams who do hit. Even the Rangers play well when they hit from the get go and sustain it through out 60 minutes.

10-29-2003, 09:46 AM
kazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
It ain't you. But I also think it ain't new.

I think the league has been moving in that direction for a while now. That's why the playoffs are so exciting. There's hitting, there's passion, there's grit and guys playing hurt.

I thought the elbowing penalty called on Simon last night was disgraceful. He threw a little elbow, the defenseman should have thrown a jab and then move on. It did not need to be called.

To your point, however, I think you will find that the teams that win are the teams who do hit. Even the Rangers play well when they hit from the get go and sustain it through out 60 minutes.
The call on Simon was a joke and it happens throughout the league as the NHL slowly but surely sanitizes the game. I disagree on the hitting aspect of the game (or lack thereof). I think players can pick their spots but if they try to play a constant, up tempo game they'll be in the penalty box all night. Referees cannot and will not put the whistle away when it comes to physical hockey they will call penalties, real or imagined, to make sure they maintain control.

Old
10-29-2003, 10:58 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
The call on Simon was a joke and it happens throughout the league as the NHL slowly but surely sanitizes the game. I disagree on the hitting aspect of the game (or lack thereof). I think players can pick their spots but if they try to play a constant, up tempo game they'll be in the penalty box all night. Referees cannot and will not put the whistle away when it comes to physical hockey they will call penalties, real or imagined, to make sure they maintain control.
I agree the Simon elbow wasn't much but I think the league is cracking down on blows to the head. So, I think that was the main reason for the penalty.

As for the passion level, I agree 100% kazo and I base it on the trapping systems everybody plays where they want a player to be at point A and not chasing the puck carrier in order to hit them.

Old
10-29-2003, 11:28 AM
kazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger
I agree the Simon elbow wasn't much but I think the league is cracking down on blows to the head. So, I think that was the main reason for the penalty.

As for the passion level, I agree 100% kazo and I base it on the trapping systems everybody plays where they want a player to be at point A and not chasing the puck carrier in order to hit them.
Jackson, I'm not so sure about blows to the head. You just don't see much of that anymore. But watch how many times guys deliver a clean, hard hit along the boards but get penalized regardless? Seems to me it's just further evidence of the emasculation of the game. I think Disney and the Mighty Ducks might have been the worst thing that could have happened to old time hockey.

Old
10-29-2003, 11:44 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Jackson, I'm not so sure about blows to the head. You just don't see much of that anymore. But watch how many times guys deliver a clean, hard hit along the boards but get penalized regardless? Seems to me it's just further evidence of the emasculation of the game. I think Disney and the Mighty Ducks might have been the worst thing that could have happened to old time hockey.
I think that part of the problem is the players are bigger and faster. As a result some plays look worse than they are.
Two plays come immediately to mind: the phantom elbowing call on Simon in the Florida game this season and the game misconduct boarding call on Lindros against the Leafs last season (when the replay should that Belak had lost his footing and Lindros actually tried to get out of his way.)

Old
10-29-2003, 11:48 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
I sat there last night watching the game hoping we could go back to the days of the 70's and have Simon run Gerber just to take him off of his game. Old time hockey, kazo, is dead and we can only hope for glimpses of that style.

Old
10-29-2003, 11:58 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

i used to think going to 4 on 4 would be crazy but now i am all for it. it would open up the game and it would make it so much more exciting. i know it willl never happen.

Old
10-29-2003, 12:08 PM
kazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackson Ranger
I sat there last night watching the game hoping we could go back to the days of the 70's and have Simon run Gerber just to take him off of his game. Old time hockey, kazo, is dead and we can only hope for glimpses of that style.
Sadly, it will never get back to the 70's but even rolling it back to where it was 10 years would be a breath of fresh air. But it will never happen as long as Bettman is in charge or until labor strife causes a major implosion.

Old
10-29-2003, 12:11 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jar jar links
i used to think going to 4 on 4 would be crazy but now i am all for it. it would open up the game and it would make it so much more exciting. i know it willl never happen.

Don't agree.

What I do think, however, is when the Rangers go on the PP, they should take a penalty as soon as possible and play as long 4 on 4 as they can.

Old
10-29-2003, 12:25 PM
Barnaby

In a perfect world they would make a bigger ice surface, but thats obviously impossible.

The league does need to make some rules to try and cut down on the trap.... its killing hockey. If your not a major hockey fan and you turn on a Devils (or half the NHL teams for that matter) game, your likely to change the channel within a couple minutes. So tell me, how is hockey supposed to attract new fans?

Old
10-29-2003, 12:32 PM
kazo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
In a perfect world they would make a bigger ice surface, but thats obviously impossible.

The league does need to make some rules to try and cut down on the trap.... its killing hockey. If your not a major hockey fan and you turn on a Devils (or half the NHL teams for that matter) game, your likely to change the channel within a couple minutes. So tell me, how is hockey supposed to attract new fans?
I keep coming back to the same points and that is until speed, passion, and hitting come back to the game, new fans will not be attracted. The entertainment value is just not there.

Old
10-29-2003, 12:40 PM
Barnaby

Quote:
I keep coming back to the same points and that is until speed, passion, and hitting come back to the game, new fans will not be attracted. The entertainment value is just not there.
I dont think passion is as much a problem as is these defensive systems. How many people who watched last years Cup finals really enjoyed it? If an average guy turns it on he's going to get board. Can you blame him for not embracing hockey? When the Stanley Cup finals is boring your not exactly going to be begging for the next season to start. I want to see players play their games not their systems. Take Fedorov for instance... How cool would it be to watch him fly around the ice making plays as oppossed to playing the Ducks defense.

Old
10-29-2003, 12:44 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnaby
I dont think passion is as much a problem as is these defensive systems.
Playing defense is not the problem. Unless you plan to have an "illegal defense" like basketball, you can't force teams to play run n' gun. The problem is that the league is looking to call the wrong type of penaties. Instead of focusing on penalizing physical play, the league should focus more on addressing the obstruction that goes on ALL THE TIME away from the play.

Old
10-30-2003, 04:41 AM
JCProdigy

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Playing defense is not the problem. Unless you plan to have an "illegal defense" like basketball, you can't force teams to play run n' gun. The problem is that the league is looking to call the wrong type of penaties. Instead of focusing on penalizing physical play, the league should focus more on addressing the obstruction that goes on ALL THE TIME away from the play.
What I've been saying all along. There is nothing wrong with the trap. What's wrong is that these refs refuse to call the obvious inteference that occurs everytime a team tries to gain the offensive zone. All teams know that what beats the trap is speed to the outside along with a dump in chase game where your forechecker beats the defenseman to the end boards. So they clutch and grab the foward flying into the zone to slow him down rendering the trap unbeatable. You're right TB, they need to let the hard hitting go and actually call the infractions that are ruining the game.

Through the first few games I can't count how many times I saw one of Nedved or Hlavac being held up while Kovalev carries the puck into the zone. I'm yelling at my tv constantly how its a friggin illegal play.

Old
10-30-2003, 04:59 AM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCProdigy
Through the first few games I can't count how many times I saw one of Nedved or Hlavac being held up while Kovalev carries the puck into the zone. I'm yelling at my tv constantly how its a friggin illegal play.
Agreed. And this has nothing to do with the Sather article. There have been a good amount of times during this early part of the season that obstuction on Kovalev and Nedved simply goes uncalled. Now Sather is whinning about nothing being called on Kovalev, but I'll bring up another example. During the Anahiem game, in the 1st period, the Ducks were on the PP. Nedved was the forward who was along high along the boards. The Rangers got the puck out of the zone and it went right on the other side of Nedved. Petr saw the play as it occured and made a more to the outside to get by the slower Ducks defenseman. Had he gone by him, no doubt that Nedved could have caught up with the puck for a chance on goal. Knowing this, the Ducks defenseman basically tried to wrap himself around Nedved as Nedved was going by. Result? Nedved never had the chance to get out of the zone and no offensive opportunity occured. That was a blatant example of interference away from the puck and it wend uncalled.

Closed Thread