HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2017-18 Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
08-18-2017, 11:48 AM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

vCash: 500
Has any of the (semi-)regular Avs players last year, beyond Weircioch, that won't be back gotten a new NHL team?

Beachemin (81 games)
Grigorenko (75 games)
Tyutin (71 games)
R Bork (65 games)
Mitchell (65 games)
Iginla (61 games)
Goloubef (33 games)
McLeod (28 games)
Gelinas (21 games)

Did Gelinas find a new team? He might have.

Old
08-18-2017, 11:59 AM
The Kingslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Has any of the (semi-)regular Avs players last year, beyond Weircioch, that won't be back gotten a new NHL team?

Beachemin (81 games)
Grigorenko (75 games)
Tyutin (71 games)
R Bork (65 games)
Mitchell (65 games)
Iginla (61 games)
Goloubef (33 games)
McLeod (28 games)
Gelinas (21 games)

Mcleod should be able to find work somewhere.

Old
08-18-2017, 12:00 PM
Pokecheque
armoredheadspace

Quote:

Beachemin (81 games)
Grigorenko (75 games)
Tyutin (71 games)
R Bork (65 games)
Mitchell (65 games)
Iginla (61 games)
Goloubef (33 games)
McLeod (28 games)
Gelinas (21 games)

No. They all remain unsigned except for Grigorenko, who of course bolted for the KHL.

That's the story I wish the media would pounce on. Seriously, when's the last time something like this happened?

Old
08-18-2017, 12:13 PM
Balthazar
Someone

If they aren't good enough for the AVS, they aren't good enough for any other team.

Old
08-18-2017, 12:25 PM
the_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if Barberio was just a waiver buzz player, a lot of fringe NHLers will fight for their careers and play above their means for short stints when transferring teams.

Avs can only rely on three defenders next year, EJ, Barrie and Zads. Two of which had significant injuries last year, so odds are at least one will be down this year for an extended period. If we surpass 60 points I'd be positively surprised.
Technically Avs can only rely on EJ to play any sort of good defense. They have to rely on Barrie to provide offense, because if Barrie doesn't provide offense, he's pretty much useless since he's not very good defensively, and Zadorov hasn't established himself yet in the NHL to be relied on.

That is one of the biggest reasons this team will again finish dead last place in the NHL, when you have only one d-man on your top 4 that can play defense, can't win like that.

Old
08-18-2017, 12:33 PM
Goulet17

Quote:

Beachemin (81 games)
Grigorenko (75 games)
Tyutin (71 games)
R Bork (65 games)
Mitchell (65 games)
Iginla (61 games)
Goloubef (33 games)
McLeod (28 games)
Gelinas (21 games)

I don't believe that Gelinas has signed with any other team.

McLeod has one more season remaining on his contract with Nashville.

Old
08-18-2017, 12:33 PM
S E P H
@SEPH_WHL

Woah, getting Kerfoot too base on those rumours would be freakin' awesome. Much better offencive player than Toninato is.

Being horrible do have their perks too, you get players wanting to join and getting a better chance towards the NHL.

Old
08-18-2017, 01:01 PM
agentblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Woah, getting Kerfoot too base on those rumours would be freakin' awesome. Much better offencive player than Toninato is.

Being horrible do have their perks too, you get players wanting to join and getting a better chance towards the NHL.
Maybe our luck in this college FA is changing, getting one is random , two in one month is maybe making us a destination...finally

Old
08-18-2017, 01:11 PM
Foppa
Future Norris Winner

Is there some new news with Kerfoot?

Old
08-18-2017, 01:26 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

I wonder if Kerfoot wouldn't want to sign here after getting Toninato. These guys are looking for opportunity.

Old
08-18-2017, 01:27 PM
dahrougem2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
I call bullls***. If you had you'd know that we should be happy if we get a good #5 like Gudas once he adapts NA ice.
You realize it's ok to have a difference of opinion on a player, right? Poster seems to be higher on Mironov than you are, nothing wrong with that.

Old
08-18-2017, 01:38 PM
Pokecheque
armoredheadspace

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
Technically Avs can only rely on EJ to play any sort of good defense. They have to rely on Barrie to provide offense, because if Barrie doesn't provide offense, he's pretty much useless since he's not very good defensively, and Zadorov hasn't established himself yet in the NHL to be relied on.

That is one of the biggest reasons this team will again finish dead last place in the NHL, when you have only one d-man on your top 4 that can play defense, can't win like that.
You think in the very same antiquated terms that landed this team in trouble in the first place. Defense doesn't have to come from big, lumbering stay-at-home types who clear the crease and block shots and don't contribute anything at the other end of the ice. It isn't all about what you do away from the puck. Barrie is an asset defensively because he's able to skate the puck out of trouble and hold onto it, and while he's holding onto it, obviously, the other team isn't on the attack.

EJ is actually better when producing offense, when given the defensive burden I think he struggles a bit. He's by no means terrible defensively, but I'd like to see the Avs unleash him a bit by taking that defensive burden off of him somehow. Again, I'd like to see what happens if they make the top pairing Zads/Barrie (assuming there's a signing sometime soon) and try EJ at 2nd pair. Maybe it'll be a disaster, maybe not, but I'd like to see what happens for a game or two.

I'm not saying the Avs have a blueline that's good enough--it isn't right now--but I do think they can have a reasonably successful year under the circumstances IF they use players the right way, especially Barrie, who was completely misused last season.

Old
08-18-2017, 02:22 PM
agentblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
I wonder if Kerfoot wouldn't want to sign here after getting Toninato. These guys are looking for opportunity.
Think positive thoughts TV, what would Sea Eagles say?

Old
08-18-2017, 02:27 PM
Bubba Thudd
#WorkWithUs

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentblack View Post
Think positive thoughts TV, what would Sea Eagles say?
This is an excellent team! Adding Toninato only makes it better, and Kerfoot would elevate the team that much more! Players recognize that we're a rising star team, and want to play here! The sky is the limit, mate!!

Old
08-18-2017, 02:33 PM
StayAtHomeAv

Defense is all about what you do away from the puck. You don't play defense with the puck. When you have the puck you are not defending your goal. There is no threat to score. When you have the puck that's part of the offensive game, or transition game if you don't want it as black and white as defense/offense.

Barrie is weak defensively, excellent in transition, and good offensively.

If you want to including things like rushing the puck out of danger with stealing the puck and blocking shots then just call it Dzone play.

Old
08-18-2017, 02:45 PM
the_fan

Yeah you still need d-men that can be smart positionally away from the puck, that can use their stick properly, win battles in the corners and in front of the net, block shots. Barrie doesn't do any of those things well, maybe other than his positional play which is decent I guess

Old
08-18-2017, 02:50 PM
Goulet17

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayAtHomeAv View Post
Defense is all about what you do away from the puck. You don't play defense with the puck. When you have the puck you are not defending your goal. There is no threat to score. When you have the puck that's part of the offensive game, or transition game if you don't want it as black and white as defense/offense.

Barrie is weak defensively, excellent in transition, and good offensively.

If you want to including things like rushing the puck out of danger with stealing the puck and blocking shots then just call it Dzone play.
I know what you are arguing, but here is a counter viewpoint, as offered by an extremely defensive minded coach, Dave Tippett:

"I'll give you an example," he said. "We had a player that was supposed to be a great, shut-down defenseman. He was supposedly the be-all, end-all of defensemen. But when you did a 10-game analysis of him, you found out he was defending all the time because he can't move the puck.

"Then we had another guy, who supposedly couldn't defend a lick. Well, he was defending only 20 percent of the time because he's making good plays out of our end. He may not be the strongest defender, but he's only doing it 20 percent of the time. So the equation works out better the other way. I ended up trading the other defenseman."

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/coyo...#ixzz4q8dAhLY9

Old
08-18-2017, 02:53 PM
agentblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17 View Post
I know what you are arguing, but here is a counter viewpoint, as offered by an extremely defensive minded coach, Dave Tippett:

"I'll give you an example," he said. "We had a player that was supposed to be a great, shut-down defenseman. He was supposedly the be-all, end-all of defensemen. But when you did a 10-game analysis of him, you found out he was defending all the time because he can't move the puck.

"Then we had another guy, who supposedly couldn't defend a lick. Well, he was defending only 20 percent of the time because he's making good plays out of our end. He may not be the strongest defender, but he's only doing it 20 percent of the time. So the equation works out better the other way. I ended up trading the other defenseman."

Interesting, I wonder if he was talking about DeAngelo in the latter

Old
08-18-2017, 02:55 PM
Balthazar
Someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by agentblack View Post
Interesting, I wonder if he was talking about DeAngelo in the latter
Article is from 2012

Old
08-18-2017, 03:00 PM
agentblack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
Article is from 2012
Ah I sees

Old
08-18-2017, 03:19 PM
StayAtHomeAv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goulet17 View Post

All I'm arguing is that defense is not played with the puck. You can't give Barrie credit for his defense based on things like carrying the puck. That's not a defense.

I'm not saying anything about which type of player is better or more important or more successful. If I had to choose between the two types the weak defender who only defends for 20% of the would be better. But, honestly, I like versatility. Give me a guy who is good at both defense and transition as oppose to players who are excellent in one area but weak in the other. That's when you have a good DZone player.

Old
08-18-2017, 03:34 PM
Balthazar
Someone

Quote:
Originally Posted by StayAtHomeAv View Post
All I'm arguing is that defense is not played with the puck. You can't give Barrie credit for his defense based on things like carrying the puck. That's not a defense.

I'm not saying anything about which type of player is better or more important or more successful. If I had to choose between the two types the weak defender who only defends for 20% of the would be better. But, honestly, I like versatility. Give me a guy who is good at both defense and transition as oppose to players who are excellent in one area but weak in the other. That's when you have a good DZone player.
With today's dmen you're looking exclusively for guys with good IQ and a good set of tools.

Old
08-18-2017, 03:45 PM
Cullen Bohannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
Article is from 2012
He was talking about Yandle and most likely Klesla.

Old
08-18-2017, 04:42 PM
Sea Eagles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
This is an excellent team! Adding Toninato only makes it better, and Kerfoot would elevate the team that much more! Players recognize that we're a rising star team, and want to play here! The sky is the limit, mate!!
Well...yes Depth can only be a positive thing, and competition for spots is healthy. A strong AHL team also bodes well for an associated NHL team.

Having both Toninato & Kerfoot is a move in the right direction when it comes to adding to our futures depth.

This is also on top of a system depth that is as strong as we've seen in years for us.

We have maybe 6-7 players in the AHL I wouldn't mind playing in the top team now:

A J Greer
Rocco Grimaldi
Gabriel Borque
Anton Lindholm
Duncan Siemens
Nicolas Meloche

And now potentially Toninato and Kerfoot (if he signs).

In fact, I'd consider Grimaldi over Comeau at this point, and Greer shpuld be pushing Nieto (but I think if Greer gets a go, it should be in a top 2 line capacity) and maybe if Andrighetto doesn't kick ass like he did last season for us, in for him.

Old
08-18-2017, 04:47 PM
AvsJost98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Thudd View Post
Who is Kerfoot? I never heard about him. It looks like he was interviewed by Canucks already, did he mention that he wants to play for the Avs?

Closed Thread