HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why was Turgeon traded?

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2006, 04:38 PM
lucscaps

vCash: 500
Why was Turgeon traded?

I saw something in the savard thread that said they where forced to trade him. Why is that?

Old
04-04-2006, 04:42 PM
les3couleurs

If my memory doesn't fail me, he asked to be traded.

Old
04-04-2006, 04:46 PM
Habsruleen

I think they meant that Saku emerged faster than expected, and with Damphousse already ahead of him (just off a world cup appearance) Turgeon was relegated to 3rd center and he wasn't impressed.

Old
04-04-2006, 04:46 PM
NORiculous

vCash: 945
He wasn't happy as 3rd center and his ice time, if I recall it correctly.

Old
04-04-2006, 04:48 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Originally Posted by les3couleurs
If my memory doesn't fail me, he asked to be traded.

Yes, he was the 3rd center (even if producing like a #1) and was booed.

Tremblay-Houle wanted more caracter and thoughness so they got Baron and Corson.

Old
04-04-2006, 04:50 PM
boredmale

As an Islanders fan i have to say the Turgeon/Muller trade was probably our worst trade ever. While we made some bad trades, Muller was a useless piece of garbage that made that deal worse then any other and i liked Turgeon.

The only saving grace i guess was we got Schneider for Malakhov.

Old
04-04-2006, 04:50 PM
larue*

Another question why did we trade for Turgeon. Especially when we had a capable and dedicated captain in Kirk Muller????????

Old
04-04-2006, 04:51 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatnik
Also, wasen't there some incident with his wife at a grocery store? I seem to remember something happening where she got hassled while buying groceries and that really didn't sit well with him.

Maybe I'm completely wrong on this, but I seem to remember some ugly incident like this. Either way he was getting booed, which was stupid because he produced extremely well for the Habs.

Old
04-04-2006, 04:54 PM
Beatnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale
As an Islanders fan i have to say the Turgeon/Muller trade was probably our worst trade ever. While we made some bad trades, Muller was a useless piece of garbage that made that deal worse then any other and i liked Turgeon.

The only saving grace i guess was we got Schneider for Malakhov.

And you got a good deal later for Schneider

13-Mar-96: New York Islanders traded Wendel Clark, Mathieu Schneider and D.J. Smith to the Toronto Maple Leafs for Darby Hendrickson, Sean Haggerty, Kenny Jonsson and 1st round selection (Roberto Luongo) in 1997.

Old
04-04-2006, 04:57 PM
boredmale

Quote:
And you got a good deal later for Schneider

13-Mar-96: New York Islanders traded Wendel Clark, Mathieu Schneider and D.J. Smith to the Toronto Maple Leafs for Darby Hendrickson, Sean Haggerty, Kenny Jonsson and 1st round selection (Roberto Luongo) in 1997.
Unlike Muller, Schneider was a great addition. But what Muller did to the Islanders to me says alot about his character(or lack of it). Nothing made me happier seeing him later in his career playing for league minimium. I actually would equate what he did worse then what Yashin did to Ottawa(because he did it mid season). As it stands for my all time hate list, Muller is the only guy who comes anywhere close to Lindros.

Montreal still beat us in the trade though, it was a good call by whoever was the GM unloading Muller just when his career was on the downside.

Old
04-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Habsruleen

Quote:

Tremblay-Houle wanted more caracter and thoughness so they got Baron and Corson.

If I remember correctly he was producing at a point a game rate but with zero goals. The other guys were just better than him, that's all. I remember not having a problem with him being traded (especially as I thought he was dismal against Rangers in the playoffs) but not liking what came back our way.

Old
04-04-2006, 05:20 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
We had 3 nice centers in Damphousse-Turgeon-Koivu.

They decided to move Damphousse to the wings and ultimately to another team, they also moved out Turgeon. All to makes some place to an emerging Koivu who ultimately ends up blowing out his knee...

Result: We ends up with 1/2 the Koivu we could have had and no depth at center at all after all...

Still hurt...

Old
04-04-2006, 05:23 PM
Beatnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun
We had 3 nice centers in Damphousse-Turgeon-Koivu.

They decided to move Damphousse to the wings and ultimately to another team, they also moved out Turgeon. All to makes some place to an emerging Koivu who ultimately ends up blowing out his knee...

Result: We ends up with 1/2 the Koivu we could have had and no depth at center at all after all...

Still hurt...

Damphousse was an UFA and got a very big contract from SJ. To trade him for a 2nd rounder late in his UFA year (that became a 1st when SJ signed him) was a very good deal!

Old
04-04-2006, 05:33 PM
ControlFreak

Send a message via MSN to ControlFreak
Quote:
Damphousse was an UFA and got a very big contract from SJ. To trade him for a 2nd rounder late in his UFA year (that became a 1st when SJ signed him) was a very good deal!
Not to take anything away from the deal, as I also think that a second rounder for Vinny was a good deal, but who exactly did we pick with that draft pick?

Found it: 16th overall Marcel Hossa.

So Damphousse for Garth Murray... still like it

Old
04-04-2006, 05:34 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Quote:
I was more referring to us moving him to the wings... but you got it right.

Old
04-04-2006, 05:38 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
It was an horrible, horrible deal. Damphousse got 2 other 20 goals season and brought leadership to the San Jose locker room, we sure could of used him here instead of a pick.

Old
04-04-2006, 05:41 PM
ControlFreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov
It was an horrible, horrible deal. Damphousse got 2 other 20 goals season and brought leadership to the San Jose locker room, we sure could of used him here instead of a pick.
I mean, there is no disputing that Vinny had asome decent seasons after leaving MTL, but a second rounder that turned into a first for a 30 something impending UFA isn't bad either. Looking at our depth at center over the past few years, there was definite room for Vinny over the likes of Perreault, Zholtok, and even Ribeiro or Bonk. Not, not bashing Ribs or Bonk, just really liked Vinny.

Old
04-04-2006, 05:43 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABDUCTOR
I mean, there is no disputing that Vinny had asome decent seasons after leaving MTL, but a second rounder that turned into a first for a 30 something impending UFA isn't bad either.
Who did we end up with this pick? Hainsey or Hossa? Yeah it's bad

Old
04-04-2006, 05:51 PM
Beatnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABDUCTOR
I mean, there is no disputing that Vinny had asome decent seasons after leaving MTL, but a second rounder that turned into a first for a 30 something impending UFA isn't bad either. Looking at our depth at center over the past few years, there was definite room for Vinny over the likes of Perreault, Zholtok, and even Ribeiro or Bonk. Not, not bashing Ribs or Bonk, just really liked Vinny.

To keep him we would also have had to clear 4-5 millions in salary elsewhere.

Old
04-04-2006, 05:56 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakhov
Who did we end up with this pick? Hainsey or Hossa? Yeah it's bad
the trade was good, the drafting was horrible.

Old
04-04-2006, 05:57 PM
ControlFreak

Quote:
To keep him we would also have had to clear 4-5 millions in salary elsewhere.
That is correct, although many would argue that this was a "non-cap" world and if Montreal really wanted to keep him... bla bla bla.

Malakhov: The results of that draft have indeed been disappointing, but the draft is always a gamble. To the argument that the trade sucked because we drafted Hainsey and Hossa, all I can say is blame the GM who drafted these guys and not the GM who made it possible to show up on draft day and get two shots at the first round.

Old
04-04-2006, 07:21 PM
Medicine Twin

The only reason Turgeon asked for a trade was because he felt he was being mishandled (3rd line). It was a Tremblay problem. Sure Koivu took the #1 job that year and Damphousse and Rucinsky seemed to have good chemistry but I would've tried Damphousse back at LW and had Turgeon centre the 2nd.

This turned out to be the worst deal ever for the Habs... Corson and Baron were totally useless here in MTL during the next few years... add to it we threw in Craig Conroy!

As for Damphousse to SJ, he was a pending UFA and it didn't look like he'd be coming back. Habs got a 1st rounder out of it so at the time it was good. Too bad we squandered that pick.

Old
04-04-2006, 07:32 PM
Beatnik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medicine Twin
The only reason Turgeon asked for a trade was because he felt he was being mishandled (3rd line). It was a Tremblay problem. Sure Koivu took the #1 job that year and Damphousse and Rucinsky seemed to have good chemistry but I would've tried Damphousse back at LW and had Turgeon centre the 2nd.

This turned out to be the worst deal ever for the Habs... Corson and Baron were totally useless here in MTL during the next few years... add to it we threw in Craig Conroy!

As for Damphousse to SJ, he was a pending UFA and it didn't look like he'd be coming back. Habs got a 1st rounder out of it so at the time it was good. Too bad we squandered that pick.
The problem was that Damphousse was a much better C than LW.

The Turgeon deal would have turned out great if they would have trade Corson at the right time. He had a lot of success in his second year on the 1st line and even made team Canada IIRC. Of course it did'nt last and we ended up losing him for nothing

Closed Thread