HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Comrie Situation

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2003, 09:27 AM
Walsher

vCash: 500
Comrie Situation

I have been watching him practise at the U of A in the past week or so and in the interviews and comments I have heard he has no interest in returning to the club at all which is obviously well documented. The latest interview could be seen on the 9 o'clock version of Sportscenter on TSN. He said it is time for a change and that he needed to be moved. This is the first time he himself has said it publicly which to me is starting to show desperation. It is clear over the last week or so that he and his agent have been really fuling the fire about the situation and from what I can tell Comrie is becoming very ancy.

From the Oiler's standpoint, I feel they should be totally opposite. IMO the Oilers lose no matter who they trade him to. They will never get fair market value in return. Stefan, Gomez, Coburn, and other rumors thrown aaround do not even come close to the talent and upside of Comrie. Sure Gomez is a solid second line center, sure Stefan has potential if he remains concussion free, and Coburn is a good defensive prospect. Comrie is one of the best young players in the game today. His numbers are good, even last year through tough injuries down the stretch. Look at two years ago - he scored every clutch goal down the stretch and was easily the Oilers star player. He has a nack for scoring big goals. Everyone was up in arms during the Carter trade last year - he only had 1 game winning goal all year!! He dissapeared in big games and Comrie does not. Last years playoffs were a case of injuries and anyone disputing that is blind to the truth.

As an Oilers fan I understand that their are bridges burnt that can never be mended. The dissapointing part as a fan is that the team has lost a growing superstar and will likely get in return either some prospect who can't help the 2003-04 team make the playoffs or some downgrade that will have minimal impact. Neither side is to blame - Comrie and the Oilers are just on opposite sides and their is no need to bash either one of them.

Old
10-29-2003, 10:17 AM
windowlicker

I say let him sit for as long as it takes to make the best deal possible. If we know Lowe is not getting a hot return, why should he accomodate mc and work out a deal which will give us a less than market return. mc brought this on himself, hope he's enjoying it now.

Also, I know every player in the Oilers locker room is suppose to be a good union guy, but reading mc's current comments, hes not only turning his back on the city of Edmonton and the Oilers organization, but also the Oiler players.

He's saying "I just dont want to play with you guys anymore". And from now on every Oiler player can keep repeating the phrase "I know its a business, I know its though, hes so alone right now", but you cant change the fact your a human being, and things like that affect you.

Old
10-29-2003, 10:43 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
I have been watching him practise at the U of A in the past week or so and in the interviews and comments I have heard he has no interest in returning to the club at all which is obviously well documented. The latest interview could be seen on the 9 o'clock version of Sportscenter on TSN. He said it is time for a change and that he needed to be moved. This is the first time he himself has said it publicly which to me is starting to show desperation. It is clear over the last week or so that he and his agent have been really fuling the fire about the situation and from what I can tell Comrie is becoming very ancy.

From the Oiler's standpoint, I feel they should be totally opposite. IMO the Oilers lose no matter who they trade him to. They will never get fair market value in return. Stefan, Gomez, Coburn, and other rumors thrown aaround do not even come close to the talent and upside of Comrie. Sure Gomez is a solid second line center, sure Stefan has potential if he remains concussion free, and Coburn is a good defensive prospect. Comrie is one of the best young players in the game today. His numbers are good, even last year through tough injuries down the stretch. Look at two years ago - he scored every clutch goal down the stretch and was easily the Oilers star player. He has a nack for scoring big goals. Everyone was up in arms during the Carter trade last year - he only had 1 game winning goal all year!! He dissapeared in big games and Comrie does not. Last years playoffs were a case of injuries and anyone disputing that is blind to the truth.

As an Oilers fan I understand that their are bridges burnt that can never be mended. The dissapointing part as a fan is that the team has lost a growing superstar and will likely get in return either some prospect who can't help the 2003-04 team make the playoffs or some downgrade that will have minimal impact. Neither side is to blame - Comrie and the Oilers are just on opposite sides and their is no need to bash either one of them.
1. The Oilers don't lose no matter who they trade him to because we get rid of one guy who doesn't want to play for us for one or two who will.(Obviously, you want to compare trading him to signing him. There aren't two options here, only one.) The Oilers win as soon as the move is done because they have something for what they have right now, nothing. The only question is the value, do the Oilers get value for the player.

2. Mike Comrie created this situation. I believe that Mike is greedy. I believe that Mike isn't a guy that you go to battle with for the Stanley Cup. He is a guy that gets lots of points and then puts his check in the bank. But he is a young guy and will evolve(and will likely become a team guy somewhere down the road), but at this point, it is all about Mike and his ego.

3. If you want blind to the truth, then watch out for people who believe that Comrie only came back early from injury to help the team and not to make those big bonuses that he was striving for. The truth is that his greed most likely caused his poor playoffs and the downhill turn from there.

4. The team has done nothing to lose it's budding superstar. The budding superstar decided that he wanted out. Now he is going to get accommodated and we are going to end up with something better than we have now. A holdout player that doesn't want to play for this team.

5. Forget about how good you perceive Comrie to be. Right now Comrie is nothing to us, he is not playing so having a playing Gomez or Stefan or a not playing Comrie. We win. If signing him was an option your assessments would be accurate. I was certain a long time ago that he was done, so none of this is surprising. I always said that all Mike had to do to get over the criticism was to sign a fair deal, come to camp and have a good start to the season. Well HE decided otherwise. I wish him well, and hope Lowe maximizes the asset.

Old
10-29-2003, 10:52 AM
aki

I may be in the minority here and I suppose time will tell but I do not consider Comrie a "budding superstar". In fact, I think he had been miscast as a first-line center. IMO he is not the type of player you would want to build a team around. He is undersized and has a very poor attitude. IMO the ideal role for him is a 2nd-line center in a support role for the real superstars.

Old
10-29-2003, 10:58 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

You guys both make fairly good points, But the fact remains that, Comrie is a good player and will be a great player. The chance that we can get someone who we know is going to be a great player is not certain. IMO, you package Comrie with another roster guy and maybe a draft pick, and trade up for a proven commodity. Comrie alone will not get an fair return.
Everyone is telling KLO to wait until he gets the deal he wants, but the fact is, every day, Comrie's value get's lower and lower.

In addition to that, Edmonton has always been known for a great place to play hockey, does this effect our reputation?

Old
10-29-2003, 11:10 AM
Slats432

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
You guys both make fairly good points, But the fact remains that, Comrie is a good player and will be a great player. The chance that we can get someone who we know is going to be a great player is not certain. IMO, you package Comrie with another roster guy and maybe a draft pick, and trade up for a proven commodity. Comrie alone will not get an fair return.
Everyone is telling KLO to wait until he gets the deal he wants, but the fact is, every day, Comrie's value get's lower and lower.

In addition to that, Edmonton has always been known for a great place to play hockey, does this effect our reputation?
Agreed Comrie is good, and could be great(Theo Fleury great, without the mental issues...lol).

I agree. I would like to see a package go out and something excellent come back in.

I disagree with Comrie's value getting lower. I think it is static and someone brought up Yashin as a comparable. Sat for a year and got back Spezza, Chara and Muckalt. I don't think that time is going to change the value of the player.

As far as our reputation. We go to war for our guys who go to war for us. People that our good to our organization are rewarded. Mike has turned his back on us...not the other way around.

Old
10-29-2003, 12:13 PM
Walsher

Nobody can say that Comrie has turned his back on the Oilers with any certainty. Kevin Lowe locked him out of camp when it was clear he wanted to participate. This is a two way street and both parties are to blame not just one!!

Old
10-29-2003, 04:03 PM
Mikey 71

I would also not call Comrie greedy. He has some growing up to do, but all sides have admitted that money has never even been brought up by anyone. Clearly we can all see that this whole thing has nothing to do with money and everything to do with personality conflicts.

Old
10-29-2003, 04:06 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by aki
I may be in the minority here and I suppose time will tell but I do not consider Comrie a "budding superstar". In fact, I think he had been miscast as a first-line center. IMO he is not the type of player you would want to build a team around. He is undersized and has a very poor attitude. IMO the ideal role for him is a 2nd-line center in a support role for the real superstars.
I still think that this is the main issue between Comrie and Lowe. Lowe sees him as a decent second line centre, and Comrie sees himself as the big star.

Old
10-29-2003, 04:33 PM
kraigus

Send a message via ICQ to kraigus Send a message via MSN to kraigus
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey 71
I would also not call Comrie greedy. He has some growing up to do, but all sides have admitted that money has never even been brought up by anyone. Clearly we can all see that this whole thing has nothing to do with money and everything to do with personality conflicts.
I used to believe that - I wanted MC to want to play for the Oilers. The longer this drags on, the more I wonder. I wonder why he's behaving so much differently from other guys who had trouble coming to terms on a contract, guys who were Oilers, and guys who were leaders.

Moreau wants to play for the Oilers - he took a pay cut to do it. Smyth wants to play for the Oilers - he's bled copper and blue. Smith does too - sure, he got a good deal in arbitration, but he re-signed his contract without a raise this year with nary a quibble. He knew he didn't deserve a raise, so he didn't even ask. Salo took a longer-term deal when it was looking like he might bolt, just like Cujo. (Argue that he's not playing up to that level now or not, as you like - fact remains, everybody thought he was nuts at the time. Including his agent.)

Contrast that to Comrie. If it's not the money, if it's philosophical differences, he's willing to hurt the team - and himself, he gains absolutely NOTHING playing with the Golden Bears in October - in order to make a point. He's not even willing to say what his point is - sure, he has an agreement to be quiet, but I'm pretty sure Lowe didn't hold a gun to his head to make him agree to it. All we hear from his agent is posturing.

Perhaps it isn't all about the money, but I really wonder if it's not at all the money, like Winter seems to want us to believe.

Old
10-29-2003, 04:35 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan
I still think that this is the main issue between Comrie and Lowe. Lowe sees him as a decent second line centre, and Comrie sees himself as the big star.
Yes and isn't it the responsibilty of the "big star" to prove his status on the ice and leave no doubt in anyones mind that that is indeed the case. But I think it comes down to which comes first, the pay or the proof. So I say to Mike; where's the proof? Comrie delivers and Lowe will be forced to deliver the pay. E-Town fans are not cheap just frugal. But Rich Winters gets a bigger slice of the pie if Comrie is traded. Bad advice resulting from greed agency.

Old
10-29-2003, 04:57 PM
windowlicker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walsher
Nobody can say that Comrie has turned his back on the Oilers with any certainty. Kevin Lowe locked him out of camp when it was clear he wanted to participate. This is a two way street and both parties are to blame not just one!!

Come on, you can't be this naive. Locking an unsigned player out of camp is a common practice among teams. Happened to Ryan Smyth (I'm pretty sure). The Comrie camp knew of this, which is why Mike was so eager to spread the word that he wanted to attend, hence when he gets locked out, Lowe looks like the bad guy.

(I would have liked to see Mikes face if Lowe didnt lock him out...)

Old
10-29-2003, 05:06 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker
Come on, you can't be this naive. Locking an unsigned player out of camp is a common practice among teams. Happened to Ryan Smyth (I'm pretty sure). The Comrie camp knew of this, which is why Mike was so eager to spread the word that he wanted to attend, hence when he gets locked out, Lowe looks like the bad guy.

Not to Smyth, but it was considered unusual by the press that he was at the camp without a contract.

Old
10-29-2003, 05:09 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey 71
Lowe would have been a fool to not lock him out! If he lets him in camp and the team has planned on having him in there, then all of a sudden the reg. season is here and he isn't signed. The team REALLY feels his loss then!

Old
10-29-2003, 06:26 PM
Belcriss

vCash:
Its all posturing. How many guys have said trade me trade me just to try and put more pressure on the GM to up the salary. If Comrie really does want out, then he wouldn't have wanted to come to training camp, nor would he have agreed for the longest time to keep his mouth shut on whats going on. This is just a ploy between him and his agent to try and get Oiler fans going against Lowe so that he will cave in and sign him. Let him rot Lowe. The punk doesn't deserve a single cent more till he takes this team to round two of the playoffs and beyond. The only other way I say he deserves more is if he scores more than 50 goals. He has done neither, and isn't worth more than what is offered. Cherry said a couple weeks back on CBC that it was all about money, and I agree. Problem for Comrie is though.. he has alienated all the fans now, and the only resolution may be to trade him....

Old
10-29-2003, 06:33 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
If he comes back then I will welcome him back! The last thing we need to do is ruin or weaken the value of another asset for this team!!!!! If this kid comes back he'll take some time until he's going, but I know that, and I hope that everybody else, will be patient and allow him to get his game back!

Old
10-30-2003, 10:17 AM
Walsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowlicker

Actually it didn't happen to Ryanb Smyth. This is my point. You make an exception for good ole Smytty but not for Comrie. This proves that their is a real conflict between parties. If Lowe wanted Comrie to play he would have let him come to camp. Like I said the highway runs both ways. Lowe took another shot at Comrie when Mike went out of his way to acquire the necessary insurance to be at camp. Don't tell me it is a team policy, they have broken that policy in the past and they will do it again in the future. That fact of the matter is they both have issues and you cannot put it all on Comrie. That's what everyone wants to do because he is an easy target. "Spoiled rich kid, greedy, no desire or heart, etc. etc." This is all I have been hearing from Oiler fans. Moreau went on the record saying those comments infuriate him, Comrie spent all summer in Long Beach with the fitness guru getting in shape for a bounce back year. He's an easy target but he is not the only reason for this situation.

Old
10-30-2003, 10:34 AM
barto

No, it's almost never a one-way street in situations like this, but Winter early on was clearly "OK" with the no-coming-to-camp thing, and that's also why Moreau signed that first one-year deal (later re-worked to the multi-year deal) and why Georges agreed to terms before camp started, as they would not have been allowed to come to camp without contracts either.

I don't think they had an official policy on it in the past but had come up with this one earlier in the summer. PERHAPS because they foresaw a problem like this with Comrie & other guys, sure. I don't have a problem with it. Comrie could have also agreed to a one-year deal and been allowed to come to camp, and work on his trade request behind the scenes while he's playing and showing off his hard conditioning work from over the summer.

Bart

Closed Thread