HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

After game thoughts Bruins vs Habs

Closed Thread

Old
10-28-2003, 05:40 PM
Mathieu Lavergne
AKA Saku K.

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Mathieu Lavergne
After game thoughts

Boston vs. Montreal

Oct 28, 2003
Box Score

NHL FINAL 1ST 2ND 3RD TOTAL
--- --- --- -----
BOSTON 1 1 0 2
MONTREAL 0 0 0 0 FINAL

GOAL SCORING:

1ST PRD: BOS - (PP) PATRICE BERGERON 3 (MARTIN LAPOINTE, SERGEI SAMSONOV) 10:27

2ND PRD: BOS - MIKE KNUBLE 5 (JOE THORNTON, GLEN MURRAY) 10:09

3RD PRD: NONE

POWER-PLAY CONVERSIONS: BOS - 1 OF 2, MON - 0 OF 1.

SHOTS ON GOAL: 1ST 2ND 3RD TOTAL
--- --- --- -----
BOS 10 16 7 33
MON 3 10 10 23

THREE STARS

1ST - FÉLIX POTVIN
2ND - NICK BOYNTON
3RD - PATRICE BERGERON

GOALIES: BOS - FELIX POTVIN
MON - MATHIEU GARON

OFFICIALS: REF - DEAN WARREN, STEPHEN WALKOM
LIN - SCOTT DRISCOLL, STEVE MILLER

ATT: 19,245

Old
10-28-2003, 05:43 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Thursday vs. the B's:

Koivu - In
Hainsey - IN
Theo - In ( Garon played well, though)
Perreault - Out
Cube - Out

But what are the chances of that? Ward will probably have to sit in favour of Panic Yanic.

For a moment, when I saw Quintal in pain on the bench, I was actually quite happy. No dissrespect to Q, but I want Hainsey in the line-up, even if it means he has to play on the wrong side of the rink.

I was actually quite impressed by Langdon. In his limited ammount of icetime (5:52), he showed he's not a bad skater or puckhandler.

Why did Perreault play 18:00 after such a poor game? In comparison, Ribeiro only played 14:49. Maybe this was due to the lack of powerplay time (credit to the Bruins for that one), but seeing Panic Yanic over Tiny Dancer is probably not CJ's best move.

Lastly, I would really like to think that the reason Ryder and Zednik were paired together, was because Julien is trying to have them gel in order for them to click when they are flanking Saku on Thursday. As soon as Kilger returns, I'd like him to be the LW ( or centreman?) with Juneau and Dackell. This would allow Bulis to move alongside Ribeiro and Hossa. Jan has shown that he is willing to work hard and skate out on the ice, hopefully he would be able to finish off a few oppurtunities.

I really do hope that Ward and Begin don't sit in favour of Panic Yanic and Audead, that would not be a wise move in my opinion. We need some firecrackers to help get this team going. The only, and I say ONLY reason for those two to sit, would be for trading purposes, as Gainey probably can't imagine how low the value of Audette and Perreault would be if they were suddenly healthy scratches.

Old
10-28-2003, 05:51 PM
SuperUnknown

The big question imo... Why didn't they remove the goalie at the end of the game??? Is Claude Julien so sure that his team sucks that he feels pulling the goalie is useless? Did he have a brain cramp?

Old
10-28-2003, 05:54 PM
Bud The Spud*

Send a message via MSN to Bud The Spud*
This sucks Is this how the rest of the season will be?

Old
10-28-2003, 05:56 PM
RE-HABS

As bad as the Habs played I think Potvin was lucky on a few shots (not trying to take anything away from him) and we also just shot at him at not at certain part of the net looking for the goal.

With Zed and Ryder, I feel both would benefit from playing with Riberio or Koivu. Both need set-up men and Perreault is not one, he to likes to score the goals.

Hainsey needs to play, Brisebois plays better with him in the line-up.

Garon played well.

Bulis needs to play with some offesive players.

Rivet, well I think he is frustrating the hell out of Julien.

Markov and Souray, where is the consistancy?

Liked Langdon's energy and toughness in the 1st, but where was he and where was the energy and grit from Begin of late?

Our D was pretty brutal and our breakout and passing was aweful and generated nothing but turn overs.

Ryder needs to make more out of his scoring chances.

Hossa looked like he was skaing North and South all night, other than that nothing from him or Ribs.

Juneau simply looked old tonight.

Audette is simply snake bitten around the net.

Julien needs to have a meeting with this team and give the crap, plan and simple they have broken away from the plan and are playing the same as last year...getting out shot, out scored and out muscled.

Worse that could happen this year was our fast start because too many die hards and media people are looking for heads to role and trades to happen already.

This team just needs to focus on the easy things and played hockey for a whole game, playing 1 or 2 periods doesn't win games. A full 60 minutes does, we didn't play that all.

Koivu needs to come back soon, his presance alone in the room will make this team better. There just doesn't seem to be anyone leading this team vocally, offensively, defensively or physically.

Old
10-28-2003, 06:01 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud The Spud
Yes

Old
10-28-2003, 06:10 PM
Guy!

Well, at least we can all look at the bright side and be pleased that they played a better game than the one against Philly. On the other hand, there's still a lot missing from the play out there. For one thing, the forwards are not coming even close to where they were during the games where we played well. I find them lazy as they come back to the zone instead of booting back to give the defenders easy passes.

Then there's the case of the attack, which is anemic at best. Certainly, there were more chances tonight than against the Flyers, however I was disappointed that the two 'offensive' centres produced nothing more than flatulence on ice. Credit where credit is due, mind you, Potvin played a strong game and the few chances we created he turned aside.

The last thing that really struck me tonight was the coaching, and I'm extremely disappointed. First, there was little improvement in the players in terms of defensive play coming off a terrible game against Philly. I know it's one night, however when you're the coach, you *have* to take time in the morning skate to impress upon everyone that it's the first priority.

Secondly, and one that really burns me up, is the case of Markov. On the second goal, you can say, loosely, that he was partly responsible because while he was attempting to corral the puck into Garon's pads, it actually slipped away and Markov wasn't in position to stop the scoring play. HOWEVER, benching him, as happened for the rest of the second period is asinine at best. What kind of mixed message are you giving your players? Your best defender on the night, and for the season, gets benched for a little mistake but the rest of the guys are allowed to continue despite continuous gaffes? What kind of double standard is that? It's the second time it's happened to him, and it has *yet* to happen with poor play from Rivet, Quintal, or any of the others.

Finally, I know he was trying to make a point by not pulling Garon at the end, but when it all washes out, he just didn't go for the win, or at least the tie. Pure and simple. I'm sure Gainey will not look highly on that.

And with Carbo in the crowd tonight...

~~

Notes:

Garon: A solid game for sure; there was nothing he could do on either goal, and I found his placement as solid as his lateral movements and rebound control. Theo better watch his butt, because if Garon continues like that, there might be a large change around here. Theo, despite poor play, has a pretty good trade value - including the potential for some very solid offensive help, should Gainey so wish. A-

Bouillon: He played a solid game and despite his small stature used his body efficiently in terms of pushing people off the puck or riding them into the boards. The more time on the ice he gets, the better he plays, and he added even more by moving the puck quickly. B+

Breeze: A couple of typical passes from the defender of two faces. Stick to the basics Breezer or your ice time will continue to diminish. One has to wonder as the games go by if it isn't he and not Quintal in danger of losing out to Komi should the occasion arise. C+

Quintal: I believe he blocked that shot with his...derriere. He used his body properly tonight instead of being pushed around like last night. I was pleased with his game, even his puck movement which isn't always at its best. Quintal is at his most efficient when he angles players to the boards - he's not a big hit guy. B

Souray: Thank goodness he rebounded or this could have been a long game. Didn't go for any major hits, and I think that was part of the improvement in his game. He also moved the puck much more quickly, though occasionally he was tape-to-tape to the Bruins. B-

Rivet: Or, as my friend now likes to call him (after the Philly game) Traffic Cone 52, was once again guilty of horrible plays down low. He is constantly getting behind the play and then running himself out of position. In his case, it isn't a lack of effort, but a lack of know-how. I think he has to follow the Breezer model and get back to basics to become successful once again. C+

Markov: Despite what Julien might have thought, he played another excellent game. He's the first defender in years and years who steps in and breaks plays up *before* they start, and that's something that's highly coveted in players around the league. Add to that his constant improvement in the D zone - like his plays tonight where he completely tied up Thornton allowing the latter to do nothing, and you have the makings of an extremely complete defender. A

Langdon: I'm not one who generally likes fighting in hockey...unless it serves a purpose. Protecting a teammate or getting the team going are basically the two instances I approve. Langdon gets a thumbs-up tonight. Not only did he try and wake his lethargic teammates, but he also did a decent job for a 'goon' on that fourth line. B+

Begin: Typical game for him as he laid out hit after hit. Defensive coverage was missed occasionally, but he makes up for it by working his butt off to get back in position. B+

Ward: His continual use of the spin-o-rama pass in the offensive zone seems to leave him on his pants rather frequently. I feel bad for the equipment guy, because Ward is going to need more than a few extra seams. Still and all, he created and wasn't lost defensively. B

Dackell: Feisty game, and I really enjoyed his play. He wasn't the best player on the ice, but tonight he was in everyone's face and caused a few turnovers. B

Juneau: Thornton was kept off the scoresheet on his watch. Another stellar defensive game. A-

Bulis: Can we nominate this guy for workaholic of the year already? He's every where on the ice and it's fun to watch. TOnight he even put in a few solid hits, which is about the only thing, other than burying his chances, that he's been missing. A

Ryder: Well, at least someone on that line played three periods. This kid is going to go far, at this rate. Seems every period he works his way into a solid scoring position and gets a shot at goal, most of which hit the net. A little patience and more and more will start going in. B+

Perreault: He was 56% in faceoffs. Yay. Defensively, though, he's gone from what I would call his high a couple of games ago to an absolute low where he's sucking so badly he's leaving hickeys on the ice. C

Zednik: One period does not a game make, my friend. You can't cruise through two and expect everyone to be pleased with your game. Then again, in that third period, he was the Zed of old, parking in front of the net and making a real nuisance of himself. Keep that up, and everything will be right in his world. B-

Hossa: I'm going to go ahead and call him the best offensive presence for the Habs tonight. He crashed the net, made some nifty passes, and won almost all his board presences. What more can you ask? The thread indicating that he might not be first line material is correct, but with a little more confidence, he's a solid second liner with some good potential. A-

Ribeiro: I honestly think he was intimidated until someone had a word with him in the second intermission, because it wasn't until the third that he really tried to make something happen. The rest of the game consisted of him getting rid of the puck rather quickly. When he holds on and forces the defence into making mistakes, he's at his best, otherwise, he's a waif on skates with little in the way of defensive ability. B-

Audette: Another who actually made a chance or two for himself, even going to far as to crash the net on a couple of occasions. After a few straight games of him being a wasted space on the ice, I felt tonight he was at least in the game and making things happen, at *both* ends of the rink. *shock* Could it be that he might be somewhat gun-shy defensively since his last big defensive play consisted of him having his arm punctured? B-

~~

I get the sense, and I don't know if others feel it as well, that the forwards in particular, but the rest of the team as well, is just waiting for Koivu to get back. It's almost as if they feel they can lose and it'll be okay because after all their best player isn't there. And certainly he'll make a huge difference, but he can't win games himself.

And therein lies the key. This team is just not working hard enough anymore as a *team*. Some individual players are playing well, and there are elements that are playing within the system, however those short break-out passes that were the norm during our early season wins are nowhere to be found now. It's either chip the puck out or attempt the long pass, and it's never going to work. Because of our failings within the system, we end up getting bottled in our own end, running in endless circles, and tiring out while the opposition works their way to an inevitable scoring opportunity.

Forty eight hours until Boston again, and let's hope that Julien can get the system back in the game or, Koivu or not, we're going to go down in flames again.

A concerned fan.

Old
10-28-2003, 06:15 PM
gohabsgo2010

Send a message via AIM to gohabsgo2010
Great thoughts, Guy!

I love to read your writings after every game.

BTW, Ribeiro was 11-2 on the draw tonight, thus giving him an 84% on the night.

Old
10-28-2003, 06:20 PM
Gator Mike

Hmmm... 19 players and 18 of them get a C+ or better.

How much did the Habs win by?

Old
10-28-2003, 06:24 PM
ranold26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
As bad as the Habs played I think Potvin was lucky on a few shots (not trying to take anything away from him)

Sure you are! I admit you guys turned it on during the 2nd and 3rd periods, if you want to call it that, but Potvin stoned you and made some nice saves!
You better bring Hamilton up on Thursday, because it was a lax game for Boston! :moon:

Old
10-28-2003, 06:27 PM
VAN-HAB
Vancouver Habitant

and here comes the end of CJ "era"...

Old
10-28-2003, 06:29 PM
Guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator Mike
Hmmm... 19 players and 18 of them get a C+ or better.

How much did the Habs win by?
I appreciate how Bruins fans could take this point of view, but I challenge you instead to do some research before you jump to snap conclusions and you might find a reasoning behind the grades.

A concerned fan.

Old
10-28-2003, 06:32 PM
habsfan19

ryder and zednik need koivu or ribeiro, you guys are right
perreault is getting more and more useless, too slow, can't pass
so hopefully it'll be ryder-koivu-zednik
then we can finally move bulis or maybe even ward up with hossa and ribeiro

with that hopefully we'll get some goals, shutout 2 games in a row, time to wake up boys

Old
10-28-2003, 06:42 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
The big question imo... Why didn't they remove the goalie at the end of the game??? Is Claude Julien so sure that his team sucks that he feels pulling the goalie is useless? Did he have a brain cramp?

It's called getting a message through.

Old
10-28-2003, 06:44 PM
Corey

IMO Guy was a generous marker pretty much all around except for the few players he knocked. For example, it was hard to tell Bégin was in the lineup. The defense seemed overmatched, the forwards found it hard to penetrate for long stretches. Not a good game, although obviously better than the last two.

Old
10-28-2003, 06:49 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud The Spud
I am a die-hard fan, but realistcally I knew we were playing really too good and early, we just aren't that good of a team to do this game in and game out. Did you think we would win the Northeast and then make the playoffs and win the Cup?

We are going to be fight tooth and nail with a couple of other teams for the #7 or #8 spot to make the playoffs, nobody said it would be easy. If we were winning one and losing one nobody would be worried or be saying anything, but because we are winning and losing in steaks everyone here is riding the momentum of both swings.

We lack the disapline and the thing that is really funny is that the vets are letting us down, not the kids.

I can't wait for the day that I see more positive fans here, than bandwagon fans. Stick with them, quit putting them down as a team, not all are playing bad.

Plus look at the future, it is very bright. Gainey himself said he is going for the future, not this season. Everyone talks about the prospects and can't wait to see them all in the line up, well it is going to be a long road and a lot of learning curves ahead...will you be able to handle it? I hope so, because your 100% backing and support and patience is going to be needed.

I'm tired of preaching "patience". The past it may have seemed stupid, but look at this organization after this season with Juneau and Perreault gone as UFA's it opens two centre spots and kids like Katys, Perz, Higgs, Kommy, Pleks and others are going to be here. And we all have to happy with the progress of Ryder, Riberio, Garon, Hainsey and the health of Souray, the better play by Brisebois and our players have a system in place with a good coach...they only need to follow it and play it for a full 60 minutes.

If we can get some consistancy and some strong D we will be there in the Spring (the playoffs).

One last time, patience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26
Sure you are! I admit you guys turned it on during the 2nd and 3rd periods, if you want to call it that, but Potvin stoned you and made some nice saves!
You better bring Hamilton up on Thursday, because it was a lax game for Boston! :moon:
Bring up Hamilton? Ok, you have had a nice run...you to will hit a wall or a bump in the road. :moon:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAN-HAB
and here comes the end of CJ "era"...
What? Your joking right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!
I appreciate how Bruins fans could take this point of view, but I challenge you instead to do some research before you jump to snap conclusions and you might find a reasoning behind the grades.

A concerned fan.
Even as a Habs fan I find those grade quite high, we really should have won a game with grades like that. Sorry.

Old
10-28-2003, 07:07 PM
Corey

Happy with the progress those players have made? Not exactly. They've made some progress, but none has been an eye opener. The only thing I'm happy about so far is Souray's return.

Old
10-28-2003, 07:08 PM
Joseph

I thought the Langdon's fight was the best part of the game. We never really had control of the puck. I hope MTL does something different, soon.

Old
10-28-2003, 07:11 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Looks like the team enjoyed the way we were last year, we look good for a few games, then we look SOOOOOO bad for another 7. Oh Well that life for titty to titty

Old
10-28-2003, 07:19 PM
Crusher20

Send a message via AIM to Crusher20 Send a message via Yahoo to Crusher20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail

I think it was a message to the team:

you guys sucked big time and dont deserve to win. thats what you deserved.

Old
10-28-2003, 08:46 PM
Cloudigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
Even as a Habs fan I find those grade quite high, we really should have won a game with grades like that. Sorry.
correct me if Im wrong but I think GUY! is grading the players according to what they can do potentially.. i.e : juneau is +3 and get 2 assists he gets an A+ but lets say Jagr with the same stats will get a B+... if you see the grades that way well even if every player in Montreal got A+ we still could loose a game lets say to Dallas...well its the way I see it...

Cloud

Old
10-28-2003, 09:03 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusher20
I think it was a message to the team:

you guys sucked big time and dont deserve to win. thats what you deserved.
I don't know... I don't think that it's the kind of NHL message you need to send. At least pull your goalie for the fans: hope that the team creates a bit of action for the sake of the show.

I think in the NHL you should try to win all games, and not taking all means you need to take to get there isn't doing a good coaching job.

The Bruins managed to put their lines on the ice when they wanted to even though Montreal was on home ice. There weren't only the players at fault there...

Old
10-28-2003, 09:47 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Joe
Am I the only one who thinks this game would have been a complete blowout in the 4 or 5 nothing area if Theodore had started? I just have so much more confidence in Garon right now. He just seems steadier, is square to the shooter and doesn't allow those sickenly long rebounds like Theo does. He also seems to cover the entire net. Theo has more openings than swiss cheese. But alas, Theo will likely get the next two starts.
Why is that? Because the habs lost 5-0 to a strong Philly team that was at home yesterday? I think you are underrating Theodore and his abilities. Let me remind you that in the young season so far, Theodore has 2 shutouts. Actually, I think for the most part he has played great this season....a couple bad games(Ottawa, Philly) but not horrible games....in fact, most of those goals, he did not have much of a chance on. If I were Julien, I would go back with Theodore for the game in Boston.....it is big game for Theodore's confidence and the team's confidence in winning again....lets forget about these 3 games as soon as possible and focus for Thursday's game and what we have to do to be successful against a hot Bruins squad

Old
10-28-2003, 10:30 PM
SuperUnknown

Actually, here's the reason why Julien didn't pull off the goalie:

``I'm not being pessimistic, I think I'm just being realistic,'' said Julien, with an eye toward tomorrow night's rematch at the FleetCenter. ``Is there anybody here who watched the game who is going to tell me when it was 2-0 we had a chance to win?''

Old
10-28-2003, 11:41 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek
Im one of those fans.. ;>
hey, I suggest that you change your avator.....it is pretty bad :moon:

Closed Thread