HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In case of tie in standings...

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2006, 09:22 PM
Kingbobert

vCash: 500
In case of tie in standings...

ok so we're tied with jersey in points

after points what do they look at

wins? or series wins against each other? goals???

i'm confused cause rds puts jersey in front of the habs and everywhere else that i see i see the habs on top of the devils

Old
04-04-2006, 09:23 PM
Raider917

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbobert
ok so we're tied with jersey in points

after points what do they look at

wins? or series wins against each other? goals???

i'm confused cause rds puts jersey in front of the habs and everywhere else that i see i see the habs on top of the devils

Tiebreaker
1. The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).
2. The greater number of games won.
3. The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.
4. Goal differential

Old
04-04-2006, 09:25 PM
Kingbobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917
Tiebreaker
1. The fewer number of games played (i.e., superior points percentage).
2. The greater number of games won.
3. The greater number of points earned in games between the tied clubs. If two clubs are tied, and have not played an equal number of home games against each other, points earned in the first game played in the city that had the extra game shall not be included. If more than two clubs are tied, the higher percentage of available points earned in games among those clubs, and not including any "odd" games, shall be used to determine the standing.
4. Goal differential
i duno about the games playes cause at points in the season we were tied with teams that had more games than us but were still higher up in standing

Old
04-04-2006, 09:27 PM
Bill McNeal

Quote:
i duno about the games playes cause at points in the season we were tied with teams that had more games than us but were still higher up in standing
Some sites follow different rules throughout the season when it comes to standings. Some will put the team with fewer games played first, another will put wins, etc.

Old
04-05-2006, 12:02 AM
InGaineyWeTrust*

ya but how about if were still tied with new jersey or tampa at the end of teh season, then they look at wins, head-to-head, and then divisional records?

Old
04-05-2006, 12:50 AM
HABit

Quote:

It also depends on the sources bias. The Gazette puts Montreal ahead of NJ even though NJ is ahead technically. Doesn't mean they are official standings.

Edit: Even TSN now has Montreal ahead of NJ but we all know that if the season ended right now NJ would be the one in 6th and the Habs would be in 7th.

Old
04-05-2006, 09:26 AM
Thibaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABit
It also depends on the sources bias. The Gazette puts Montreal ahead of NJ even though NJ is ahead technically. Doesn't mean they are official standings.

Edit: Even TSN now has Montreal ahead of NJ but we all know that if the season ended right now NJ would be the one in 6th and the Habs would be in 7th.
Why not check the official standings on NHL website? The Tie Breaking Procedure is well explained as well...

http://www.nhl.com/standings/2005200...standings.html

Old
04-05-2006, 10:08 AM
Turbo

Quote:
Raider's tie-breakers are taken directly from NHL.com's website. If other sites don't follow these tie-breakers they are simply wrong.

At the end of the season, point #1 is irrelevant and #3 becomes simpler.

Old
04-14-2006, 12:20 AM
Raider917

i believe NJ has clinched 6th at least now. they are 44-27-9 and montreal are 42-29-9. the records can even out at 44-29-9 if NJ lose to phi then to montreal. that would take it to the season series? NJ will have won it regardless of the final game if thats the case.

there is a way Montreal can get 6th still though. if Phily lose to NJ then to NYI and NYR and Montreal win out the pts would be even at 97 but Montreal would have 44 wins and philly would still have 43.

Last edited by Raider917: 04-14-2006 at 12:25 AM.
Old
04-14-2006, 12:25 AM
LesHabsRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider917
i believe NJ has clinched 6th at least now. they are 44-27-9 and montreal are 42-29-9. the records can even out at 44-29-9 if NJ lose to phi then to montreal. that would take it to the season series? NJ will have won it regardless of the final game if thats the case.

there is a way Montreal can get 6th still though. if Phily lose to NJ then to NYI and Montreal win out the pts would be even at 97 but Montreal would have 44 wins and philly would still have 43.
Exactly, and the Habs would be 6th. Habs would hold the tiebreaker in wins and in head to head matchups. Habs won the season series 3-1 and the game the Habs lost was in OT so they got 7 out of 8 available points vs Philly.

Old
04-14-2006, 02:32 AM
JMMR

Send a message via MSN to JMMR Send a message via Yahoo to JMMR
It would be really odd if the Flyers lost out and the Habs won out to finish 6th.
But that is unrealistic, let us just hope for a clinch on Saturday.

Closed Thread