HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Trade Rumors and Proposals Thread: Chris Kelly Attending Camp on PTO

Closed Thread

Old
08-29-2017, 02:02 PM
belair

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McShogun99 View Post
First they sign Yakupov, now they Sign Cowan to a PTO. The Avalanche have become the 2009-2014 Oilers. All they need now to get to the next level is to hire Eakins for a year or 2.
The substantial difference is they already have several high end players both up front and on defense and they have high quality prospects in their system. Some of these guys (the veterans) are likely to pan out. I don't expect them to turn the corner this year, but the Avs are a team that could turn things around very quickly.

Honestly, I think Yakupov puts up 40 points this year.

Old
08-29-2017, 03:36 PM
McShogun99

Quote:
Originally Posted by belair View Post
The substantial difference is they already have several high end players both up front and on defense and they have high quality prospects in their system. Some of these guys (the veterans) are likely to pan out. I don't expect them to turn the corner this year, but the Avs are a team that could turn things around very quickly.

With the Avs he will be getting top 6 minutes and PP time. I could see him getting 40-50 points also. The problem is he will be -40 to match those points. This is a bad, bad team. The Oilers had high end players as well Hall(Mackinnon), RNH(Landeskog), Eberle(Duchene), Schultz(Barrie). The Avs aren't a team, they are just a collection of soft, skilled players which is why they are so bad. They need to change that teams idendity and clean out the front office .

Old
08-29-2017, 04:12 PM
belair

Quote:
With the Avs he will be getting top 6 minutes and PP time. I could see him getting 40-50 points also. The problem is he will be -40 to match those points. This is a bad, bad team. The Oilers had high end players as well Hall(Mackinnon), RNH(Landeskog), Eberle(Duchene), Schultz(Barrie). The Avs aren't a team, they are just a collection of soft, skilled players which is why they are so bad. They need to change that teams idendity and clean out the front office .
Considering Matt Duchene was a -34 last year I'd say 'probably'...

Nail Yakupov's corsi numbers have consistently improved as his career has progressed so you really have to ask how much of an issue his two-way game really is. Nail Yakupov needed a longer leash, which he's likely to get with the Avs.

As for your comparison. The Oilers had no match for Duchene, Johnson, Rantanen, Jost, Zadorov, Varlamov. Their team is far stronger on paper. But much like the Oilers of that era, their locker room is poisonous along with their front office.

Old
08-29-2017, 04:13 PM
Vali Maki Sushi
Tuna Vali Maki Roll

Quote:
First they sign Yakupov, now they Sign Cowan to a PTO. The Avalanche have become the 2009-2014 Oilers. All they need now to get to the next level is to hire Eakins for a year or 2.
2009-2014 Oilers minus lockout. Speaking of that, I've realized how minus last season obviously, the lockout Oilers despite a horrendous defense on paper played the best defense overall from 2009-2016.

Old
08-29-2017, 04:42 PM
Jejune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vali Maki Sushi View Post
2009-2014 Oilers minus lockout. Speaking of that, I've realized how minus last season obviously, the lockout Oilers despite a horrendous defense on paper played the best defense overall from 2009-2016.
Krueger's Oilers weren't THAT bad, they were even fighting for playoff position later in the year than normal (December/January IIRC). The problem is they buckled hard under pressure as soon as the real fight for the playoffs started. Krueger also made some very baffling personnel decisions, especially in OT and shootouts. But he was better than Eakins, that's for sure.

Old
08-29-2017, 05:05 PM
MisterD
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jejune View Post
Krueger's Oilers weren't THAT bad, they were even fighting for playoff position later in the year than normal (December/January IIRC). The problem is they buckled hard under pressure as soon as the real fight for the playoffs started. Krueger also made some very baffling personnel decisions, especially in OT and shootouts. But he was better than Eakins, that's for sure.
Just about anybody was better than Eakins. He almost single-handedly (along with MacT) set this franchise back 5 years. Dark times.

Old
08-29-2017, 05:09 PM
oXo Cube
Termite

Send a message via Skype™ to oXo Cube
Quote:
Kreuger's Oilers absolutely were that bad. The season ending early(in GP) was the only thing that saved them from a bottom 2 finish. If that lockout doesn't happen Seth Jones plays for the Oilers.

Kreuger also wasn't a great coach for a bunch of reasons including the ones you outlined, but he is remembered fondly by history because he looks like solid gold when compared to the dog turd that replaced him.

Old
08-29-2017, 05:32 PM
SK13
T. Yoshi Muchakoopas

vCash: 650
It's very, incredibly rare for a vocal fanbase to be happy with their coach. Even Todd McLellan was a heat-seeker for large portions of the season and I'm not sure you could ask much more from the group than he got out of them.

RE: Krueger. I'm not sure what anyone is supposed to do with that group. He and Tom Renney had the team going the general right direction in 11-12. As a head coach, my impression was that he was good with young players and special teams work. I don't doubt that if he were given more than 48 damn games, he could be a solid NHL coach.

Old
08-29-2017, 05:32 PM
McShogun99

Quote:
Considering Matt Duchene was a -34 last year I'd say 'probably'...

Nail Yakupov's corsi numbers have consistently improved as his career has progressed so you really have to ask how much of an issue his two-way game really is. Nail Yakupov needed a longer leash, which he's likely to get with the Avs.

As for your comparison. The Oilers had no match for Duchene, Johnson, Rantanen, Jost, Zadorov, Varlamov. Their team is far stronger on paper. But much like the Oilers of that era, their locker room is poisonous along with their front office.
Eberle and Duchene are similar in that they are both shoot first, strictly offensive players. Johnson is a good defenceman but that is all they have on defence. Rantanen, Jost and Zadorov are the new hope for the Avalanche, similar to Nurse and Draisaitl. We are very lucky to get Mcdavid or we'd be takiking about Eichel, Strome or Marner right now....

Old
08-29-2017, 05:56 PM
jumptheshark
McDavid Headquarters

vCash: 606
Quote:

you do realize we took a very long look at cowen

I am the KING of Alternative Facts as any hockey fan is
Old
08-29-2017, 06:15 PM
Paralyzer
Had Enough Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
you do realize we took a very long look at cowen
How do we know we were the ones looking at him rather than him trying to sell himself?

Old
08-29-2017, 06:33 PM
Took a pill in Sbisa
2showToffoliIwascool

Why are people assuming that because he signed a PTO with Colorado he wasn't also offered one from Edmonton?

Clearly the Avs present more opportunity for him.

Old
08-29-2017, 06:33 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer View Post
How do we know we were the ones looking at him rather than him trying to sell himself?
Because he came to Edmonton to get a medical completed by the team prior to July 1.

Old
08-29-2017, 06:39 PM
Paralyzer
Had Enough Yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Because he came to Edmonton to get a medical completed by the team prior to July 1.
That still doesn't answer the question though. He could have called and said I want a shot to play in Edmonton and they said they'd look at him if he passed a medical in Edmonton.

Old
08-29-2017, 06:52 PM
RaabHart
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
We're in pretty good shape to win a few of them already. I'd highly prefer not ****ing it up and potentially missing out on a few more so we can add another franchise player--one in the later stages of him NHL career.

Regardless, it's been said. Not happening.
Except were not well positioned to win another cup. I still don't think we're the best team in the league, and we'll be losing players over the next 2 years not adding. Add Weber and its hard to argue theres anyone better then us.

Old
08-29-2017, 07:09 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky is a gangsta View Post
I think there is a sarcasm symbol on here that you can use when needed, but don't bother. Everyone will know what you meant.

Old
08-29-2017, 07:11 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:

I'll bet he gets cut loose before that.

Old
08-29-2017, 07:46 PM
oobga
Tier 2 Fan

Quote:
The 12/13 team was awful and had no business being anywhere close to a playoff spot. Their best C was Nuge who played with a wrecked shoulder the whole season. Gags played OK due to it being a contract year but faded. The D group was horrendous, and Schultz didn't care about anything but getting his last points for his Schedule B bonus in the last month+ of the season, he stopped playing D all together and Krueger had to keep throwing him out there because we promised him ice time so he would sign here.

Go back and look at that roster, it was a terrible team, and made worse by injuries to all of our C's except Gagner. I know as fans we all thought things were finally turning, we hadn't yet hit rock bottom under MacT. But looking back, it's hilarious to see the team that we all thought was ready to take another step.

Last edited by oobga: 08-29-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old
08-29-2017, 08:56 PM
backhandsauce

SpeedyTurtle give us a another JJ or a JI or even a CF. commonnnnnn

Old
08-29-2017, 08:59 PM
Game 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
A dollar at $.90US or higher is likely extremely optimistic, though predicting currency values is insanely difficult. As a rough estimate, every 1c rise in the dollar above $.75US would add in the neighbourhood of $300K to the cap. So $.90US would add about $4.5M and $.95US about $6M. Of course it is the average over the year that matters not any one spot price.
Not relevant to the thread but currencies are one of the easiest things to predict. Always move in long term trends. If u have patience.

Old
08-29-2017, 09:01 PM
Homesick

I have time for Iginla on a PTO. The Avs were a disaster from top to bottom last year so I'm not going to fault him for his play there. He seemed to be the only one on the Kings that actually wanted to get to the playoffs and was their best player post TD. I'd rather that player in the bottom six than Caggiula/Slepyshev/Khaira/Pakarinen

Old
08-29-2017, 09:06 PM
Shane Goudie

My take on this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Problem is 18/19 season

RFAS
1-Strome If he plays well as is expected, he'll be looking for 5mil+ There won't be any cap savings here so I say it is 50/50 that he lasts longer than a season in EDM
2-Slepyshev Better play well if he wants to stick around
3-Caggs Worth another contract
4-Pak Pak it up, pak it in, see ya
5-Benning Benning or Nurse, pick one
6-Nurse Probably Nurse over Benning although he'll cost more
11-Braossait Any warm body will do here
UFAS
7-Letestu Needs to be resigned, invaluable as a 4th line center that can play up when needed
8-MaroonFor what he probably will be asking for, see ya
9-Jokinen Thanks for dropping by
10-Fayne Smell ya later

Old
08-29-2017, 09:15 PM
Stud Muffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by backhandsauce View Post
SpeedyTurtle give us a another JJ or a JI or even a CF. commonnnnnn
I'd prefer TV

Old
08-29-2017, 09:30 PM
Shane Goudie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I have time for Iginla on a PTO. The Avs were a disaster from top to bottom last year so I'm not going to fault him for his play there. He seemed to be the only one on the Kings that actually wanted to get to the playoffs and was their best player post TD. I'd rather that player in the bottom six than Caggiula/Slepyshev/Khaira/Pakarinen

Agreed. At this point Edmonton should be beyond gifting players roster spots.

Old
08-29-2017, 09:58 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud Muffin View Post
I'd prefer TV
I want a DD or an EK if we're going with wishlists.

Closed Thread