HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Comrie to Buf Idea

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2003, 09:14 AM
vb

vCash: 500
Comrie to Buf Idea

From Link

Quote:
"...Buffalo wants to move Tim Connolly, but he's coming off a pre-season concussion."
Comrie for Connolly is a good basis for a deal although Connolly has only scratched the surface as a productive player. He also has a history of playing with Isbister.

There's a few other interesting players in Buffalo as well: Kalinin, Noronen, Afinogenov. Guys like Miller, Kotalik, Satan, Drury are probably either untouchable or too expensive.

If I were Lowe, I would wait to see how Connolly comes back from his concussion, but he plays Oilers hockey. The only thing I dislike about picking up a player like him is his potential to bust, but recent history with the Carter, Brewer, York, Weight and Dvorak deals prove that Lowe is willing to take on that type of risk.

Old
10-29-2003, 09:18 AM
momentai

I think the guy that stands out from that list is Dmitri Kalinin. I'd want him but I'm not sure if Buffalo would be willing to move him. How is their defensive depth anyway?

Old
10-29-2003, 09:21 AM
Walsher

I have heard other people mention Connolly and personally I think it is something to consider assuming we get another player/pick in return. Connolly is extremely talented and has the potential to be a consistent threat. Again my problem with this deal is the Oilers downgrade in productivity. Comrie is a far superior player at this point in their careers. A move is inevitable I just hope it doesn't come back to hurt the team. Wait and make a good move. The Oilers have begun to make a habit of moving younbg talented guys ie. Ray Whitney, Miro Satan, Greg DeVries, Marius Czerkawski (IMO), Tom Poti (no matter what bandwagon jumping fans will tell you), etc. If the trade has to happen we need to get good talent in return that can help now.

Old
10-29-2003, 09:23 AM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Would Lowe do a Connoly/Comrie deal straight up? Or would Lowe want more in return? No one else on Buffalo really stands out other than maybe one of their young goalies. That would probably require the Oil to thrown in another player as well. Which compliates things more.

Old
10-29-2003, 09:26 AM
goldenchild

i've always liked JP Dumont he semed like he was on the verge of big things but never quite over the hump, to me he would really excell plaiying in a system like the Oilers. Kotolik is also a pretty good goal scorer though a 1 dimensional player. A deal with Dumont and a D-man could be something to look at. Although i don't see a team like the sabres forking out the 3 or 4 mil that comrie wants

Old
10-29-2003, 09:29 AM
oilers_guy_eddie

Definitely worth considering. I do feel the Sabres would have to add something significant to Connolly.

The one thing people always say about Connolly is that he's a wuss, however. He might be a couple of inches taller and a few pounds heavier than Comrie, but he doesn't play like it. He's *not* the big center people are hoping for.

I'd take a long look at Noronen as well- I'm seriously wondering if the Oilers should decline their option on Salo next summer. If they do, that leaves us with... Conklin and Valiquette to hold us until Deslauriers arrives as an NHL goalie- and who knows when (or if) that will happen.

Old
10-29-2003, 09:30 AM
Slats432

The deal here should be Comrie for Kalinin Connolly. Connolly had a semi brutal camp and the Sabres board here was talking minors.

If we got both for Comrie, I would be pleased.

Old
10-29-2003, 10:11 AM
vb

I like the sounds of Connolly and Kalinin as well, though I feel that Kalinin is still quite a project. I'm not sure how thin the deal would leave the Sabres at D and Kalinin is probably playing too many mins there already.

Noronen would be a good pickup especially if we could put him down in Toronto, not sure if he is exempt from waivers, but it would allow Lowe to decline the option on Salo this summer.

I wouldn't expect anything to happen here until Connolly resumes skating, but he is one of the few projects in the NHL that I think Lowe should take a gamble on.

Old
10-29-2003, 10:22 AM
fuhr

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats432
The deal here should be Comrie for Kalinin Connolly. Connolly had a semi brutal camp and the Sabres board here was talking minors.

If we got both for Comrie, I would be pleased.

That's a nice dream but it won't happen. The biggest problem with Connolly is his health. He hasn't played all year because of his concussion and they really don't know how bad it is at this point. Overall,we'd need a bit more back with a healthy Connolly but Kalinin would not be "a bit".....he'd be "a lot more". Connolly is talented and if healthy wouldn't be a bad trade off. If they could work in one of their goalies in a package deal i'd be happy with that.

Old
10-29-2003, 10:36 AM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
How about Hecht? i always did like him here i think Lowe gave up on him to early?

Old
10-29-2003, 11:29 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBrew
How about Hecht? i always did like him here i think Lowe gave up on him to early?
If memory serves me right (which it very rarely does), I believe he is out for quite some time with a broken arm (or is it leg). Either way, I doubt we make a trade for him.

Old
10-29-2003, 12:47 PM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by comrie
If memory serves me right (which it very rarely does), I believe he is out for quite some time with a broken arm (or is it leg). Either way, I doubt we make a trade for him.
You are correct... he hasn't had the best of luck since leaving St. Louis...

He more or less burnt his bridges in Edmonton, and then he has been hurt most of the time in Buffalo.

Old
10-29-2003, 12:52 PM
LawnDemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb
I like the sounds of Connolly and Kalinin as well, though I feel that Kalinin is still quite a project. I'm not sure how thin the deal would leave the Sabres at D and Kalinin is probably playing too many mins there already.

Noronen would be a good pickup especially if we could put him down in Toronto, not sure if he is exempt from waivers, but it would allow Lowe to decline the option on Salo this summer.

I wouldn't expect anything to happen here until Connolly resumes skating, but he is one of the few projects in the NHL that I think Lowe should take a gamble on.
if the oilers can land noronen then they should send salo to toronto... if anyone picks him up on waivers then the oilers save 3.88 million. if not, maybe he'll learn that he actually has to care about his job if he wants to keep it.

edit: also, i just have to reiterate how much i love your avatar... best... cartoon... ever...

Old
10-29-2003, 01:05 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
If we can get Kallinen with him then I'm for it. If not, I'm against it. Wouldn't want any of their other Dmen for Comrie.

Old
10-29-2003, 03:24 PM
hunter orange

A big no thank you on the Connolly trade...

If Buffalo wants to pawn their bust to Edmonton for Comrie, Kalinin will certainly have to be in the deal:

Comrie & 3rd/4th ---------- for ------------- Kalinin and Connolly

Old
10-29-2003, 03:31 PM
GorillazXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
If we can get Kallinen with him then I'm for it. If not, I'm against it. Wouldn't want any of their other Dmen for Comrie.
I agree, if kalin isn't in the deal then no thanks. Connelly reminds me of another Reasoner, not that its a bad thing, I think the Oilers has too many projects with great upsides (Dvorak, Izzy, Torres, Reasoner, Chimera, Rita....etc), we don't need another unless he's well on his way.

GXL

Closed Thread