HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shanahan?

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2006, 01:16 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

vCash: 500
Shanahan?

I made a topic on the NHL board and it got me thinking about how awesome Shanahan is. I checked around and it looks like he's a Free Agent this year. I know he will most definately re-sign with Detroit but how amazing would he be for the Habs? The guy is a perrenial 30 goal scorer who is massive and very gritty. He's a great leader and would add so much character to the team.

We can only dream...

Old
04-05-2006, 01:21 AM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

vCash: 137
I'd love to have Shanny, but as you said, he'll likely re-sign in Detroit.

Old
04-05-2006, 01:43 AM
DicAnns

Brendan Shanahan... who wouldn't want that guy on his team? He does everything... shoots, passes, hits, never gets in trouble, never injured, can play defense, leads teammates!
He's 37 already and will still finish with a 35 goals, 75pts season (or pretty close).
He should resign in Detroit though as you said... with Yzerman and Chelios likely retiring soon (end of this season?), he should be the next captain.

Gotta love this guy!

Old
04-05-2006, 01:45 AM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
Originally Posted by gohabs73
Brendan Shanahan... who wouldn't want that guy on his team? He does everything... shoots, passes, hits, never gets in trouble, never injured, can play defense, leads teammates!
He's 37 already and will still finish with a 35 goals, 75pts season (or pretty close).
He should resign in Detroit though as you said... with Yzerman and Chelios likely retiring soon (end of this season?), he should be the next captain.

Gotta love this guy!
I would take this guy over most in the league. I see more value in him than a Lecavalier. Throw the league max at him! This guy would turn the team around!

Old
04-05-2006, 07:00 AM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
I've liked the idea of Shanny in a Habs jersey for a long time. He can do it all. I'd be aprenhensive throwing large sums of money at a 37 year old though. In addition, I don't think the wing is our weakest area. Free agent money would be better spent in other areas now. Improving our defence, getting Huet re-signed, and possibly a second line centre.

Old
04-05-2006, 07:45 AM
Tuggy

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave
I would take this guy over most in the league. I see more value in him than a Lecavalier. Throw the league max at him! This guy would turn the team around!
The league max for Shanahan?

Old
04-05-2006, 08:20 AM
mcphee

I think he could very well put up 30+ next year too. I think though that he's in a perfect situation for him in Detroit. I have a feeling that anyone who would overspend for him would be disappointed. he's such a fit in their scheme and works so well with Detroit's best players, it might be a mistake to assume he'd do it anywhere else. There's no way to prove it, but after a slow start, we'd be hearing about lack of footspeed instead of grit. Like I said, it can't be proven but I think he's in a perfect situation, and I think he knows that.

Old
04-05-2006, 09:21 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

This is about the 3rd or 4th time Shanny has been an impending UFA and this topic has come up. And while my interest diminshes every time, it's still there. I don't know that he'd adjust really well now to a new team and new situation, it would stand some chance of Randy McKayness, but who cares, I'd still take him. I think he'd be in for a bit of a rough ride in Montreal, though, because the press would immediately expect a lot from him, and I'm not sure that he has all that much left. He's still slow, and really doesn't seem all that physical anymore to me, so if he wasn't scoring they'd get on him fast. I'd be signing him for the intangibles more than any of that. But most people won't see the effects of that. To be honest, for Shanny's sake I'd rather see him stay away from Montreal. He's one of my favourite players and has been a classy NHLer, and I don't think he needs to finish his career on the kind of sour note that playing in Montreal could bring him.

Old
04-05-2006, 09:41 AM
terreur

vCash: 50
I'd take him anytime man. He's a hell of a player... and would be a perfect fit in the Habs roster

Closed Thread