HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Least exciting Hab's team ever?

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2003, 09:39 AM
Bo

vCash:
Least exciting Hab's team ever?

I have been following the Canadiens for many years, and I cannot remember a duller, less interesting version. Ever.

I think that we probably have hitten rock bottom with this year's versions of the team.

Andre Savard has been the worst thing to happen to the team in decades. The effects of his poor management will be felt for years to come.

Old
10-29-2003, 09:52 AM
CrAzYNiNe

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
I don't know.

Old
10-29-2003, 09:54 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
No i`ve seen worst.. last year was worse if you ask me.

Old
10-29-2003, 10:18 AM
Disco Volante

Old
10-29-2003, 10:25 AM
All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo
I have been following the Canadiens for many years, and I cannot remember a duller, less interesting version. Ever.

I think that we probably have hitten rock bottom with this year's versions of the team.

Andre Savard has been the worst thing to happen to the team in decades. The effects of his poor management will be felt for years to come.
Do you really think so, or are you just trying to pick a fight? :moon:

Old
10-29-2003, 10:26 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo

This post is ridiculous on several levels.

Firstly, do you not remember the many years Montreal spent with Craig Darbys, Patrick Poulins, Witehalls, etcetera throughout the lineup? I remember many nights where Darby was a top two line center. That was when the Canadiens were filled with AHL talent.

At least in this year's version of the Canadiens there are a decent group of young players.

To call this year's Canadiens a result of Andre Savard is ludicrous. Savard came to the Canadiens what, 4 years ago? He filled this team with the current players, true. I don't like the personnel he brought in. However, this team is a direct result of poor drafting. The fact is, Savard made this team better than when Houle had filled the club with Darbys and Poulins. Whatever you see now is an upgrade, as pitiful as that is.

Now the Canadiens prospects have been developed far better than they have in years. There's a larger emphasis on drafting properly and development. The Canadiens are among the top 5 teams in prospect quality and depth. There's more youth being injected into the lineup each season. By year's end, I would be surprised not to see Hainsey, Komisarek, Higgins, Ward, Ryder, Hossa and Ribeiro all in the lineup. Perhaps even Plekanec if enough garbage is shipped out. That's a significant chunk of youth in the lineup right there; something the team has lacked for ages.

Old
10-29-2003, 10:30 AM
habsfan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo

Rejean Houle was the worst thing that ever happened to the team
Andre Savard has drafted some good young players in the past few years, and in a few years the results should appear

Houle did some stupid trades in his time with the Habs

Old
10-29-2003, 10:58 AM
Habber

Dull hockey is what wins Cups.

I think by far the dullest version of the Habs I've seen was in the early 90's. Goals were still up back then but we were a hardcore trapping team. And it got us a cup in '93 so it can't be all bad.

Old
10-29-2003, 11:01 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo

Savard took over in 2000. At that time, Chouinard, Ribeiro, Asham, Garon, Ward, Guren(60th overall), Bashkirov (132nd overall), Buturlin (39th overall), Mikkola( 65th overall), Staal (92nd overall), Sidlov (118th overall), Carkner (58th overall), Dyment (97th), Lindsay (107th), Baumgartner (37th), Higgins (18th), Ryan (8th) and Hainsey and Hossa a month before Savard came on board.

Savard does 3 drafts, Komisarek 7th, Perezhogin 25th, Plekanec 71st, Milroy, 37th, Higgins 14th, Ferland 212th, Kastsitsyn 10th, Urquhart 40th, Locke 113th

Which one would you rather have. I know that it's still early for Savard's picks, but to me the farm looks way way way better then it did. We'll just have to wait and see what the future holds, but I'm glad Savard is here doing the job he's done at the draft table with Timmins and company.

Old
10-29-2003, 04:20 PM
Bo

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal
Savard took over in 2000. At that time, Chouinard, Ribeiro, Asham, Garon, Ward, Guren(60th overall), Bashkirov (132nd overall), Buturlin (39th overall), Mikkola( 65th overall), Staal (92nd overall), Sidlov (118th overall), Carkner (58th overall), Dyment (97th), Lindsay (107th), Baumgartner (37th), Higgins (18th), Ryan (8th) and Hainsey and Hossa a month before Savard came on board.

Savard does 3 drafts, Komisarek 7th, Perezhogin 25th, Plekanec 71st, Milroy, 37th, Higgins 14th, Ferland 212th, Kastsitsyn 10th, Urquhart 40th, Locke 113th

Which one would you rather have. I know that it's still early for Savard's picks, but to me the farm looks way way way better then it did. We'll just have to wait and see what the future holds, but I'm glad Savard is here doing the job he's done at the draft table with Timmins and company.

You just proved my point about Savard. Not ONE of his draft picks is playing in the NHL. 0, NADA.

Every other team in the league has one or more picks from those 4 years playing in the NHL, I bet.

Andre Savard was even worse than Serge Savard if that is possible. No more Franco management. Ever.

Old
10-29-2003, 04:27 PM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
you didn't find that funny Bo?

bo=I don't know

Old
10-29-2003, 04:46 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo
You just proved my point about Savard. Not ONE of his draft picks is playing in the NHL. 0, NADA.

Every other team in the league has one or more picks from those 4 years playing in the NHL, I bet.

Andre Savard was even worse than Serge Savard if that is possible. No more Franco management. Ever.

Very good posts on your part Bo.

Why don`t you give us the run down of all the teams with atleat 2 prospects playing on there team that were drafted in the last 4 years.

Savard has been the GM for the last 3 years, it`s still alittle early but his first 2 drafts (Komi, Higgins) are looking like they will turn into solid NHLers. Where are Houles first round picks??? if you`d prefer a team with Juha Lind and Patrick Poulin there`s something wrong with you. With Savard we got good drafting and he got rid of our AHLers and filled the roster with some solid if unspectacular NHL players (Dackell, Perreault, Juneau, Quintal, etc) He might not be a great GM but he did a fine job for us. Also the trade for Zednik and Bulis is turning out alright for us. This is a stupid subject anyway since he is no longer our GM.

Old
10-29-2003, 04:56 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo

Whatever credibility you had left, you lost now. The fact that Montreal does have two picks in the NHL from those 4 years in Hainsey and Hossa kills your point. No they aren't Savards picks, but they developed and are in the lineup under his regime. You can't discount that.

If you make a point about Savard draft record compared to other teams, you can't look at four years. Its THREE years Savard was at the helm. So doing a little research, while Savard was Gm in Montreal; Buffalo, New Jersey, Rangers (I would count Blackburn but seeing as you discount Komisareks, for the purpose of this thread, you know..), and Tampa Bay don't have anyone from the last 3 years.

Also, maybe you should think of draft positions, maturity, age when talking drafting. Yes teams like Atlanta have one guy, but guess what his name is Kovalchuk. Can you name the one player that have cracked Pittsburgh, and Columbus in the last three years. How about the one guy who cracked Ottawa, how about Philly. Its not tough. Coincidentally they are number 1-4 picks, and exceptional talents.

How about teams that draft overage Europeans like St Louis. Cajanek is the only Blue, but he wasn't a prospect.

My god, I can't believe I wasted my time on this ridiculous thread.

Old
10-29-2003, 05:10 PM
Bo

vCash:

Drafting Komisarek #7 overall was a no brainer, everyone had him rated at least that high. Higgins was an O.K. pick, but they lost any points there by flushing the Linhart pick down the toilet. No one thought Linhart was going to be anything special except apparently the resident Franco geniuses. .

I think there were several better choices than Kostitcyn at #10 overall last summer. That was not a good pick, he isn't any better than Perezhogin. Lots of great American kids available instead of Kostitcyn, Urquhart and Lapierre who won't even get a sniff of the NHL.

But having Bob Gainey as G.M. is a start, and once he gets rid of more of the pur laine deadwood things should improve.

Old
10-29-2003, 05:23 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13
Whatever credibility you had left, you lost now. The fact that Montreal does have two picks in the NHL from those 4 years in Hainsey and Hossa kills your point. No they aren't Savards picks, but they developed and are in the lineup under his regime. You can't discount that.

If you make a point about Savard draft record compared to other teams, you can't look at four years. Its THREE years Savard was at the helm. So doing a little research, while Savard was Gm in Montreal; Buffalo, New Jersey, Rangers (I would count Blackburn but seeing as you discount Komisareks, for the purpose of this thread, you know..), and Tampa Bay don't have anyone from the last 3 years.

Also, maybe you should think of draft positions, maturity, age when talking drafting. Yes teams like Atlanta have one guy, but guess what his name is Kovalchuk. Can you name the one player that have cracked Pittsburgh, and Columbus in the last three years. How about the one guy who cracked Ottawa, how about Philly. Its not tough. Coincidentally they are number 1-4 picks, and exceptional talents.

How about teams that draft overage Europeans like St Louis. Cajanek is the only Blue, but he wasn't a prospect.

My god, I can't believe I wasted my time on this ridiculous thread.
Thanks for responding! I was about to, but decided against wasting time here. :p There's a lot of doom and gloom trolls of late. We've gotta fend them off....

Old
10-29-2003, 05:27 PM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo
Drafting Komisarek #7 overall was a no brainer, everyone had him rated at least that high. Higgins was an O.K. pick, but they lost any points there by flushing the Linhart pick down the toilet. No one thought Linhart was going to be anything special except apparently the resident Franco geniuses. .

I think there were several better choices than Kostitcyn at #10 overall last summer. That was not a good pick, he isn't any better than Perezhogin. Lots of great American kids available instead of Kostitcyn, Urquhart and Lapierre who won't even get a sniff of the NHL.

But having Bob Gainey as G.M. is a start, and once he gets rid of more of the pur laine deadwood things should improve.
I've got a question for ya...

How much of Linhart, Kostitsyn, Urquhart, Higgins, and Lapierre have you seen?

Old
10-29-2003, 07:29 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Thanks for responding! I was about to, but decided against wasting time here. :p There's a lot of doom and gloom trolls of late. We've gotta fend them off....

No problem, as long as you got the next one. I might not have a life, but...................................

where was I going with this anyways?

Old
10-29-2003, 07:44 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
This post is ridiculous on several levels.

Firstly, do you not remember the many years Montreal spent with Craig Darbys, Patrick Poulins, Witehalls, etcetera throughout the lineup? I remember many nights where Darby was a top two line center. That was when the Canadiens were filled with AHL talent.

At least in this year's version of the Canadiens there are a decent group of young players.

To call this year's Canadiens a result of Andre Savard is ludicrous. Savard came to the Canadiens what, 4 years ago? He filled this team with the current players, true. I don't like the personnel he brought in. However, this team is a direct result of poor drafting. The fact is, Savard made this team better than when Houle had filled the club with Darbys and Poulins. Whatever you see now is an upgrade, as pitiful as that is.

Now the Canadiens prospects have been developed far better than they have in years. There's a larger emphasis on drafting properly and development. The Canadiens are among the top 5 teams in prospect quality and depth. There's more youth being injected into the lineup each season. By year's end, I would be surprised not to see Hainsey, Komisarek, Higgins, Ward, Ryder, Hossa and Ribeiro all in the lineup. Perhaps even Plekanec if enough garbage is shipped out. That's a significant chunk of youth in the lineup right there; something the team has lacked for ages.
great post as usual

Old
10-29-2003, 10:26 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habber
Dull hockey is what wins Cups.

I think by far the dullest version of the Habs I've seen was in the early 90's. Goals were still up back then but we were a hardcore trapping team. And it got us a cup in '93 so it can't be all bad.
I've got to agree with you on this one. The early 90s were horrendous teams to watch up until that 93 cup run.

96-97 wasn't a bad year, but the rest of the 90s blew other than that small thrill in 96 vs the Rangers.

I think missing Saku all those years really put a dent in viewing pleasure and it's happening again so far this year. Koivu just brings a spark to the game. Wish we had a couple players like him!

Old
10-29-2003, 10:28 PM
tinyzombies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo

very lame post

Old
10-29-2003, 11:53 PM
Russian Fan

Send a message via ICQ to Russian Fan
to me there's absolutely no doubt having tickets for 5 years now that the 2000-2001 was the worst team I've seen in MTL with 70 pts (28-40-8-6)

Look at the line-up & without much details , I think every fans who watch 1 game that year know that it was painful

Saku Koivu
Oleg Petrov
Brian Savage
Richard Zednik
Martin Rucinsky
Patrice Brisebois
Trevor Linden
Chad Kilger
Craig Darby
Eric Weinrich
Dainius Zubrus
Andrei Markov
Jan Bulis
Patrick Poulin
Jim Campbell
Karl Dykhuis
Patrick Traverse
Benoit Brunet
Stephane Robidas
Eric Landry
Sheldon Souray
Sergei Zholtok
Juha Lind
Francis Bouillon
Xavier Delisle
Gino Odjick
Arron Asham
Johan Witehall
Eric Chouinard
P.J. Stock
Craig Rivet
Andre Bashkirov
Christian Laflamme
Matthieu Descoteaux
Darryl Shannon
Mike Ribeiro
Barry Richter
Eric Bertrand
Enrico Ciccone
Matt Higgins
Francis Belanger
Jason Ward
Jose Theodore (G)
Jeff Hackett (G)
Mathieu Garon (G)
Eric Fichaud (G)

Old
10-30-2003, 12:30 AM
Team_Spirit
Gangsta Pleks

vCash: 660
I agree with you !

that year was a real pain in tha ass .... no cool rookie , no true star player , a lot of injury ( best in the league i think )

Xavier Delisle , Andre Bashkirov , Darryl Shannon. Johan Witehall and Juha Lind thanks for the memories

Old
10-30-2003, 03:24 AM
jacklours

Bo, are you actually seriously posting your opinion???? Or do you just want to iniate a debate???? I'm comfused, I can't believe someone do stupid post like yours. It is beyond my understanding (unless for sure that person is posting for the purpose of pissing people off and/or iniating a debate). But otherwise I have no clue how people can think the way you do.

Old
10-30-2003, 04:07 AM
Darz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo
Higgins was an O.K. pick, but they lost any points there by flushing the Linhart pick down the toilet.
Higgins was a GREAT pick, look at some of the other names in that draft and you realize we got a diamond in the rough.
Aslo about Linhart. Ther are no blue chippers in the 2nd round, so you pick a project and try to develop them. Also look at the other prospects picks just after Linhart, not exactly a bunch of Hart trophy winners:

45 Mtl. Canadiens Tomas Linhart
46 Phoenix Dave LeNeveu
47 Ottawa Alexei Kaygorodov
48 St. Louis Alexei Shkotov
49 Vancouver Kirill Koltsov
50 Los Angeles Sergei Anshakov
51 New Jersey Anton Kadeykin
52 San Jose Dan Spang
53 New Jersey Barry Tallackson
54 Chicago Duncan Keith
55 Vancouver Denis Grot
56 Boston Vladislav Yevseyev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo
I think there were several better choices than Kostitcyn at #10 overall last summer. That was not a good pick, he isn't any better than Perezhogin..
Well alot of scouts and people in the know thought Kastitsyn was one of the top talents available, BUT you didn't think so. Your right it is a bad pick, because YOU didn't like it. How does the fact that YOU didn't like it make it a bad pick???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo
Lots of great American kids available instead of Kostitcyn, Urquhart and Lapierre who won't even get a sniff of the NHL.
What are you basing this on????? I assume you are a top hockey scout or something???? I seriously doubt you have ever watched any of them play, so I really question your ability to make such an assessment. Please let me know your qualifications for making such an assessment.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:16 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo

I really hate it when someone brings up race. Franco Savard? lots of great american kids? this makes you sound stupid in my book. So cause Savard is French he's not any good, cause that's what I'm implying by reading that. Lots of great American kids? Do you have something against Euro's?

But it sounds like you got it all figured out, keep up the good work. (rolleyes)

Closed Thread