HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Cleveland to host 2007-08 NHL pre-season game

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-05-2006, 05:30 AM
  #1
Dougmustgo*
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Cleveland to host 2007-08 NHL pre-season game

They haven't said who will play in it yet. Hopefully if Cleveland's new affiliate is CBJ maybe they will play Detroit. Either way looks great!! Check out the new website that Cleveland Cavs owner Dan Gilbert has set up. He will be the new owner of Clevelands AHL franchise slated to take to the ice on 2007-08.




http://www.clevelandprohockey.com/faq/index.html

Dougmustgo* is offline  
Old
04-05-2006, 07:36 AM
  #2
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Let's not jump the gun here. The website clearly says that the Q is "projected" to host a pre-season game. Projected could mean a lot of things. Just because the new ownership has made that projection, doesn't mean that an NHL team has even considered it.

pelts35.com is offline  
Old
04-05-2006, 09:20 AM
  #3
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLBaronsFan
LOL.. You realize "Masher" is like the Hutch of Cleveland. You may be adding one more to that ignore list of yours soon.....
No, I didn't realize that. Thanks for the heads up so that I don't waste any more time on him or the other poster that is on my ignore list.

pelts35.com is offline  
Old
04-06-2006, 11:24 AM
  #4
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 113,340
vCash: 50
Hopefully, more support can get behind this venture now that hopefully George Gund is totally out of the picture.

__________________
Philadelphia's Real Alternative
(ynotradio.net)

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline  
Old
04-06-2006, 11:29 AM
  #5
Mr Brownstone
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: 596 miles away
Country: United States
Posts: 4,904
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Hopefully, more support can get behind this venture now that hopefully George Gund is totally out of the picture.
It can be if it's being promoted properly. The product has to be good too. As seen by the recent Indians slump years since 2001, Cleveland fans aren't going to support a sub-.500 product. The Barons have only been a playoff team one year. Not only that, they have no radio deal, no TV deal, and very little advertising.

Gilbert's getting a TV deal together already and he's taking a year off to put this together. It should be a far superior product.

Mr Brownstone is offline  
Old
04-24-2006, 07:28 PM
  #6
Franfishpaw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 1
vCash: 500
Gibert

I believe the Gilbert group will do a great job in promoting hockey in Cleveland. The fact that they want to wait a year to get things right tells me this. A Columbus affilation would be ideal!

Franfishpaw is offline  
Old
04-25-2006, 11:26 AM
  #7
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 15,647
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
my only drawback to a team in Cleveland is hopefully Gilbert took notice of what happened to the Robinsons in Cincinnati and doesn't repeat those mistakes besides he has the Cavaliers to focus on at the present time.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline  
Old
04-25-2006, 04:37 PM
  #8
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre
 
HansH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,701
vCash: 500
I'm going to regret asking this, but...

What "mistakes" do you feel the Robinsons made in Cincinnati that you're afraid Gilbert will "repeat"?

HansH is online now  
Old
04-25-2006, 07:14 PM
  #9
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 15,647
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH
I'm going to regret asking this, but...

What "mistakes" do you feel the Robinsons made in Cincinnati that you're afraid Gilbert will "repeat"?
Hans:

1) Gilbert has to buy a franchise---Not very easy to acquire one---and as some media reports have said <Peoria> THAT INDEED Gilbert's acquisition of Utah has been denied or blocked. One is exactly going to be promised to him ie expansion.

2) YOU have to have a franchise before you can have a fanbase and the Roninsons were given several conditions by the AHL including the 2K season tix mandate, the Cleveland fanbase has been burned by previous franchises---regardless of what league, why exactly did those previous teams, including the recently relocated Barons leave Cleveland to begin with & why should there be a hockey team in Cleveland IF There's no rivalry and any close teams, which may have been the case had Cincinnati achieved their goal, it would be imo, a lot easier to return hockey to Cleveland, I hope he watched what the Robinsons and the RailRaiders attempted to do this season w/o fielding a team per se.

Where has it been said that Gilbert has indeed has a franchise to put into his building for 2007, or is he getting Cleveland hockey fans hopes up so high that it never happens, the Robinsons said the exact same thing when they filed for dormancy in June of 2005, and it fell short although everyone wanted the Robinsons to succeed in their efforts.

Especially ever since SJ signed the contract to move the Barons to Worcester...

CHRDANHUTCH is offline  
Old
04-26-2006, 05:16 AM
  #10
Dougmustgo*
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
You have no clue

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
Hans:

1) Gilbert has to buy a franchise---Not very easy to acquire one---and as some media reports have said <Peoria> THAT INDEED Gilbert's acquisition of Utah has been denied or blocked. One is exactly going to be promised to him ie expansion.

2) YOU have to have a franchise before you can have a fanbase and the Roninsons were given several conditions by the AHL including the 2K season tix mandate, the Cleveland fanbase has been burned by previous franchises---regardless of what league, why exactly did those previous teams, including the recently relocated Barons leave Cleveland to begin with & why should there be a hockey team in Cleveland IF There's no rivalry and any close teams, which may have been the case had Cincinnati achieved their goal, it would be imo, a lot easier to return hockey to Cleveland, I hope he watched what the Robinsons and the RailRaiders attempted to do this season w/o fielding a team per se.

Where has it been said that Gilbert has indeed has a franchise to put into his building for 2007, or is he getting Cleveland hockey fans hopes up so high that it never happens, the Robinsons said the exact same thing when they filed for dormancy in June of 2005, and it fell short although everyone wanted the Robinsons to succeed in their efforts.

Especially ever since SJ signed the contract to move the Barons to Worcester...

What have you been smoking Syracuse???? You are uttering nothing but useless information. Simple fact is Gilbert has the $$$$ and the he will soon (May 15) have Dave Andrews eating out of his hand. Cleveland Barons hockey will once again return to the glory days of the past. Did I forget to mention 9 Calder Cups? When we return we will surely outdraw on weeknights what you put in that dumpy arena on weekends. Also, are you guys going to break 5,000fans for a playoff game this year, you haven't yet???? We all know there is so much to do in downtown Syracuse maybe thats why you haven't yet.

Game on!!!


AHL Hockey Returns to Cleveland for the 2007-08 season.


Dougmustgo* is offline  
Old
04-26-2006, 07:58 AM
  #11
Rumblick
Registered User
 
Rumblick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: I - 78
Country: United States
Posts: 2,009
vCash: 500
Dougmustgo:

1) You hate Doug. We get that from your screen name.

2) You hate Syracuse. We get that from your incessant rants about a place I've had many great experiences in.

3) You hate Hutch, and apparently you don't read other people's posts. If you did, you'd have figured out by now that Hutch doesn't live anywhere NEAR Syracuse.

If you've seen the interactions between Hutch and numerous posters, you'll realize how tough it is to make him look smarter than anyone, yet you've got several people here thinking he might have you beat. Think about that.

Rumblick is offline  
Old
04-26-2006, 09:18 AM
  #12
NEOhioHockeyFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
Gilbert has to buy a franchise---Not very easy to acquire one---and as some media reports have said <Peoria> THAT INDEED Gilbert's acquisition of Utah has been denied or blocked. One is exactly going to be promised to him ie expansion.
You can see my other post, but nothing has been blocked or denied because there has been no vote. The BOG will not vote until May 15th when they meet in person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
YOU have to have a franchise before you can have a fanbase and the Roninsons were given several conditions by the AHL including the 2K season tix mandate
The 2000 STH goal has nothing to do with the AHL. It was the number that Robinson came up with that would guarantee him a profitable season. Since that number was not reached and he did not have those assurances, there is no team playing. It was not an AHL mandate. Simply a business decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
The Cleveland fanbase has been burned by previous franchises---regardless of what league, why exactly did those previous teams, including the recently relocated Barons leave Cleveland to begin with & why should there be a hockey team in Cleveland IF There's no rivalry and any close teams
Because they were mismanaged. Why do you think the Barons left? Because they put no money into, nor did they try to promote the team or create any new fans or to cultivate the existing fanbase. That is why you don't see people clamoring for hockey here, but that doesn't mean it can't be sucessful. Once people know what's out there and it is promoted and managed as it should, that's all it takes. Gilbert has the tools he needs to do that at his disposal. Am I saying for sure it will be sucessful? No. But it definitely can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
Where has it been said that Gilbert has indeed has a franchise to put into his building for 2007
It's already been posted in numerous news articles that the negotiations are finalized and they are waiting on the BOG vote on May 15th for the transfer of ownership to Dan Gilbert in Cleveland.

NEOhioHockeyFan is offline  
Old
04-26-2006, 09:49 AM
  #13
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dango
Dougmustgo:

1) You hate Doug. We get that from your screen name.

2) You hate Syracuse. We get that from your incessant rants about a place I've had many great experiences in.

3) You hate Hutch, and apparently you don't read other people's posts. If you did, you'd have figured out by now that Hutch doesn't live anywhere NEAR Syracuse.

If you've seen the interactions between Hutch and numerous posters, you'll realize how tough it is to make him look smarter than anyone, yet you've got several people here thinking he might have you beat. Think about that.
Another candidate for post of the year.

pelts35.com is offline  
Old
04-26-2006, 01:40 PM
  #14
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 15,647
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLBaronsFan
You can see my other post, but nothing has been blocked or denied because there has been no vote. The BOG will not vote until May 15th when they meet in person.



The 2000 STH goal has nothing to do with the AHL. It was the number that Robinson came up with that would guarantee him a profitable season. Since that number was not reached and he did not have those assurances, there is no team playing. It was not an AHL mandate. Simply a business decision.



Because they were mismanaged. Why do you think the Barons left? Because they put no money into, nor did they try to promote the team or create any new fans or to cultivate the existing fanbase. That is why you don't see people clamoring for hockey here, but that doesn't mean it can't be sucessful. Once people know what's out there and it is promoted and managed as it should, that's all it takes. Gilbert has the tools he needs to do that at his disposal. Am I saying for sure it will be sucessful? No. But it definitely can be.



It's already been posted in numerous news articles that the negotiations are finalized and they are waiting on the BOG vote on May 15th for the transfer of ownership to Dan Gilbert in Cleveland.
Why did the Barons leave because SJ owned the franchise SLB, all Gilbert is/was a landlord ever since he bought the arena and the Cavaliers, He doesn't own a franchise nor do I suspect that hockey will be back in Cleveland in 2007, because what if the AHL Board says no, or Elmore says no to Gilbert, and Elmore hangs on to the Dormant franchise, because why hasn't there been an official announcement from Cleveland saying a proposal is in the works to acquire the Utah franchise while Gilbert continues to focus on the Cavaliers, he's not going to be involved w/ the proposed hockey team as a ceremonial owner, there why are we waiting until 5/15 then if indeed negotiations are done.

I'm sorry but I doubt there will be hockey in Cleveland by 2007 after watching what happened in Cincinnati and how do u know that the AHL didn't say that ticket sales weren't part of the mandate that the AHL stated to the Robinsons and Cincinnati's fanbase.

The main difference between Cincinnati & Cleveland is: 1 has a dormant franchise while the other has to acquire one to even be considered by the AHL.

WHAT FANBASE wouldn't be turned off by the "business decision" and are skeptical once they've been burned.

My problem is this: I don't want to see Cleveland hockey fans burned by Gilbert if he promised a franchise but can he deliver on that promise while not alienating what fanbase remains in Cleveland.

I repeat, why did the AHL leave Kentucky in 2001, and now is essentially saying the presence in Ohio is gone by 2007.

I don't want Cleveland fans to be so excited, then realize it may not happen, that's all.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline  
Old
04-26-2006, 01:57 PM
  #15
Clash*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Ireland
Posts: 5,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dango
Dougmustgo:

If you've seen the interactions between Hutch and numerous posters, you'll realize how tough it is to make him look smarter than anyone, yet you've got several people here thinking he might have you beat. Think about that.
No sooner do you go and say that, than we have the typical CHRDANHUTCH post...

Quote:
Why did the Barons leave because SJ owned the franchise SLB, all Gilbert is/was a landlord ever since he bought the arena and the Cavaliers, He doesn't own a franchise nor do I suspect that hockey will be back in Cleveland in 2007, because what if the AHL Board says no, or Elmore says no to Gilbert, and Elmore hangs on to the Dormant franchise, because why hasn't there been an official announcement from Cleveland saying a proposal is in the works to acquire the Utah franchise while Gilbert continues to focus on the Cavaliers, he's not going to be involved w/ the proposed hockey team as a ceremonial owner, there why are we waiting until 5/15 then if indeed negotiations are done.

I'm sorry but I doubt there will be hockey in Cleveland by 2007 after watching what happened in Cincinnati and how do u know that the AHL didn't say that ticket sales weren't part of the mandate that the AHL stated to the Robinsons and Cincinnati's fanbase.

The main difference between Cincinnati & Cleveland is: 1 has a dormant franchise while the other has to acquire one to even be considered by the AHL.

WHAT FANBASE wouldn't be turned off by the "business decision" and are skeptical once they've been burned.

My problem is this: I don't want to see Cleveland hockey fans burned by Gilbert if he promised a franchise but can he deliver on that promise while not alienating what fanbase remains in Cleveland.

I repeat, why did the AHL leave Kentucky in 2001, and now is essentially saying the presence in Ohio is gone by 2007.

I don't want Cleveland fans to be so excited, then realize it may not happen, that's all.
Hutch, do you get lost pulling out of your driveway, just to go to the corner store?

Clash* is offline  
Old
04-26-2006, 02:02 PM
  #16
NEOhioHockeyFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
there why are we waiting until 5/15 then if indeed negotiations are done.
Because the BOG meeting is 5/15. What is so hard to understand about that? There is no "official" announcement until the transfer is "official". It's pretty simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
how do u know that the AHL didn't say that ticket sales weren't part of the mandate that the AHL stated to the Robinsons and Cincinnati's fanbase.
Because there is no such rule in the AHL.. if there was, there would have never been a Cleveland franchise, because there never were that many STHs. Read all the articles about Cincy.. read the old threads here, the links are all there. Robinson set that number for himself... he didn't just want to break even, if he couldn't start next season and know he would make a profit, he wasn't going to do it. That's why he hasn't. It's a business decision which had nothing to do with the AHL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
The main difference between Cincinnati & Cleveland is: 1 has a dormant franchise while the other has to acquire one to even be considered by the AHL.
Correct... no one said any different either. They are apples and oranges. There's no reason to even talk about them in the same discussion, other than they are in the same state.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
My problem is this: I don't want to see Cleveland hockey fans burned by Gilbert if he promised a franchise but can he deliver on that promise while not alienating what fanbase remains in Cleveland.
How is he not going to deliver? He's got money pouring out of him.. he can buy a franchise easily. That's not in question. How is he going to alienate a fanbase that already been so neglected for 5 years, it's almost non-existant. His main hockey guy is Len Komoroski, who ran the Lumberjacks, who everyone here thinks walks on water, so I really don't see a problem. At least not the one you are speculating about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
I repeat, why did the AHL leave Kentucky in 2001, and now is essentially saying the presence in Ohio is gone by 2007.
Because of bad management... didn't we already go over this? KY was doing downhill and SJ bought out the local owners and moved them to Cleveland. They ran Cleveland with no thought of promotion or advertisement or media coverage or cultivating a fan base in a city rich with AHL hockey history. What exactly is the point you are trying to make, because we sure aren't getting it?

NEOhioHockeyFan is offline  
Old
04-26-2006, 02:04 PM
  #17
AdmiralPred
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,921
vCash: 500
EDIT: SLBarrons beat me to it.

*CUT my entire post out*

I'd just like to add that the only way the new/potential Cleveland owner fails to deliver is if the BOG votes against the transfer of ownership. Why the AHL would do that to what essentially amounts to a major-league owner with major-league $$$ is beyond me. It would be like the AHL saying 'No' to Les Alexander in Houston.


Last edited by AdmiralPred: 04-26-2006 at 02:13 PM.
AdmiralPred is offline  
Old
04-26-2006, 07:25 PM
  #18
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,980
vCash: 500
Based on what I'm hearing from people that would know the vote to transfer the franchise to Gilbert should be unanimous.

210 is offline  
Old
04-26-2006, 07:47 PM
  #19
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 15,647
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
No sooner do you go and say that, than we have the typical CHRDANHUTCH post...

Hutch, do you get lost pulling out of your driveway, just to go to the corner store?
CCR:

Why don't u go read the article that's been the basis of Cincinnati's troubles then maybe, just maybe, you'll see why I'm warning Cleveland fans to not get their hopes up too high.

The article from Heckler's Grove's owner lamenting why the RailRaiders will not play this coming year and why the AHL May never return to Cincinnati DESPITE WHAT the Robinsons did every thing they could or did u just get lost pulling out of your driveway on the way to a Panthers game, oops that's right the Panthers aren't in the Stanley Cup playoffs

CHRDANHUTCH is offline  
Old
04-26-2006, 07:53 PM
  #20
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 15,647
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210
Based on what I'm hearing from people that would know the vote to transfer the franchise to Gilbert should be unanimous.
and how many times has Elmore backed out of an agreement that was a sure thing, 210.

Why hasn't there been an agreement to sell by now---didn't we all say ya, done deal Elmore sells to Florida and Orlando, then watched it go up in smoke.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline  
Old
04-26-2006, 08:06 PM
  #21
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 15,647
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralPred
EDIT: SLBarrons beat me to it.

*CUT my entire post out*

I'd just like to add that the only way the new/potential Cleveland owner fails to deliver is if the BOG votes against the transfer of ownership. Why the AHL would do that to what essentially amounts to a major-league owner with major-league $$$ is beyond me. It would be like the AHL saying 'No' to Les Alexander in Houston.

Alexander is a landlord Admiral, he just doesn't own the Aeros but allows them to play in his building, he knows better than to kick the Aeros out of Houston, because the Aeros are an institution and have tradition on their site, even if the MSE DBA as the Minnesota Wild didn't own the majority of the Aeros, where would they play otherwise, and fans might revolt against his franchises if they chose to.

I don't see articles stating where Gilbert has indeed either begun negotiations or a proposal is being forwarded, not that we're going to know about that anyway while the league focuses on the playoffs, unlike the Sharks announcement to Worcester earlier this year and Peoria's bombshell last year.

No one knew that Utah or Edmonton would suspend operations and we were waiting to confirm what Cincinnati was doing.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline  
Old
04-27-2006, 02:09 AM
  #22
Clash*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Ireland
Posts: 5,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
CCR:

Why don't u go read the article that's been the basis of Cincinnati's troubles then maybe, just maybe, you'll see why I'm warning Cleveland fans to not get their hopes up too high.

The article from Heckler's Grove's owner lamenting why the RailRaiders will not play this coming year and why the AHL May never return to Cincinnati DESPITE WHAT the Robinsons did every thing they could or did u just get lost pulling out of your driveway on the way to a Panthers game, oops that's right the Panthers aren't in the Stanley Cup playoffs
You're quotin Heckler's grove? A website ran by someone with an agenda that is Pro-Robinsons and anti-Cyclones? You really need a lesson in life about knowin both sides of the arguement. Maybe you should go read the article and realize that it was the Robinsons that madated certain criteria for a return of their version of hockey in Cincy.

Oh, and BTW, I knew the Panthers weren't goin to make the playoffs back in Sept. of '05. I posted as much on the Panther forum. And that's the least of what I've said, in regards to the Panthers, being correct, so go try your word jumble with someone else. So I wouldn't waste my time drivin to a game that wasn't goin on. I'm not lost in la-la land like yourself.

Quote:
and how many times has Elmore backed out of an agreement that was a sure thing, 210.

Why hasn't there been an agreement to sell by now---didn't we all say ya, done deal Elmore sells to Florida and Orlando, then watched it go up in smoke.
Maybe you missed out on the fact that, at the time, the Panthers had to unload their portion of ownership in San Antonio before actually buyin another AHL franchise. Oh wait. That's right. you've never acknowledged bein wrong about who owned the Rampage prior to the 05-06 season.

Quote:
I don't see articles stating where Gilbert has indeed either begun negotiations or a proposal is being forwarded, not that we're going to know about that anyway while the league focuses on the playoffs, unlike the Sharks announcement to Worcester earlier this year and Peoria's bombshell last year.
Selective reading doesn't change facts from bein facts. Its been written and reported numerous places. Evidently just not where you read. Hell, I'm only a casual follower of minor league hockey, and I knew of Gilbert's effort before the Robinsons announced the failure of their efforts.

Clash* is offline  
Old
04-27-2006, 11:38 AM
  #23
NEOhioHockeyFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
Why don't u go read the article that's been the basis of Cincinnati's troubles then maybe, just maybe, you'll see why I'm warning Cleveland fans to not get their hopes up too high.

The article from Heckler's Grove's owner lamenting why the RailRaiders will not play this coming year and why the AHL May never return to Cincinnati DESPITE WHAT the Robinsons did every thing they could or did u just get lost pulling out of your driveway on the way to a Panthers game, oops that's right the Panthers aren't in the Stanley Cup playoffs
I'm not going to even bother addressing your other posts cuz others have done a good job of that, but please... stop comparing Cleveland and Cincinnati. That is asinine. The situations are not even closely similar.

In Cincy you have a "small time" owner, who needs to insure he can make money before he ices a team. He sets for himself a 2000 STH goal, which is not made, so the business decision is made to not play for the 06-07 season. Simple as that. No one in Cincy should be surprised or dissapointed. He said if the goal wasn't met, there would be no team.. the goal he set was not met.

In Cleveland you have a "big time" owner. Someone who already has a cash cow in the NBA's Cleveland Cavaliers and Quicken Loans. He'll own the team and the venue. Regardless of ticket sales, he'll make all the money on merchandise, parking, concessions. He does not need to make sure he makes money or even break even on his business venture to start... He could even lose money for a couple years. In Cleveland he needs to build back up the fanbase and cultivate new fans to the sport... he has the money and resources to do that without having to worry about finances. If you lose some money to start, but then can grow the franchise through promotion and exposure, that's what matters. He can then bring back the "magic" hockey had before here. He has the cash and ability to do that with out having to worry about all the issues a smaller owner would.

Again... when you talk about Clev and Cincy, you are talking apples and oranges.

NEOhioHockeyFan is offline  
Old
04-27-2006, 11:59 AM
  #24
AdmiralPred
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
Alexander is a landlord Admiral, he just doesn't own the Aeros but allows them to play in his building.
Oh, thanks. I thought Alexander had a stake or outright owned the franchise.

AdmiralPred is offline  
Old
04-27-2006, 12:55 PM
  #25
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 15,647
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLBaronsFan
I'm not going to even bother addressing your other posts cuz others have done a good job of that, but please... stop comparing Cleveland and Cincinnati. That is asinine. The situations are not even closely similar.

In Cincy you have a "small time" owner, who needs to insure he can make money before he ices a team. He sets for himself a 2000 STH goal, which is not made, so the business decision is made to not play for the 06-07 season. Simple as that. No one in Cincy should be surprised or dissapointed. He said if the goal wasn't met, there would be no team.. the goal he set was not met.

In Cleveland you have a "big time" owner. Someone who already has a cash cow in the NBA's Cleveland Cavaliers and Quicken Loans. He'll own the team and the venue. Regardless of ticket sales, he'll make all the money on merchandise, parking, concessions. He does not need to make sure he makes money or even break even on his business venture to start... He could even lose money for a couple years. In Cleveland he needs to build back up the fanbase and cultivate new fans to the sport... he has the money and resources to do that without having to worry about finances. If you lose some money to start, but then can grow the franchise through promotion and exposure, that's what matters. He can then bring back the "magic" hockey had before here. He has the cash and ability to do that with out having to worry about all the issues a smaller owner would.

Again... when you talk about Clev and Cincy, you are talking apples and oranges.
I hope u have a team in 2007, SLB, but I'm not holding out much hope right now besides Gilbert won't be running the team, didn't he hire someone to oversee that.

I'm comparing Gilbert to the Robinsons only in the aspect that the Robinsons stated the exact same thing to Cincinnati and the AHL fanbase all along, no one wanted to see the Robinsons fail in their attempt whatsoever.

Fact is: THE AHL has left Ohio for perhaps the last time, the same way they left Kentucky, which u inherited in 2001, in case u forgot, who moved to Cleveland back then, hmmmmmm, and this was well before the Lumberjacks and the IHL went under.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.