HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Cleveland to host 2007-08 NHL pre-season game

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-27-2006, 12:00 PM
  #26
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 14,881
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralPred
Oh, thanks. I thought Alexander had a stake or outright owned the franchise.
np, Admiral, Chuck Watson owns 20% of the Aeros, and the Wild own 80%.

Unfortunately, there's no other suitable arena in Houston for the Aeros, and I doubt Les would want to make a public relations nightmare ie blackmark that may come back to haunt his Rockets, he might be a little afraid of causing that type of ruckus.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline  
Old
04-27-2006, 12:19 PM
  #27
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 14,881
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
You're quotin Heckler's grove? A website ran by someone with an agenda that is Pro-Robinsons and anti-Cyclones? You really need a lesson in life about knowin both sides of the arguement. Maybe you should go read the article and realize that it was the Robinsons that madated certain criteria for a return of their version of hockey in Cincy.

Oh, and BTW, I knew the Panthers weren't goin to make the playoffs back in Sept. of '05. I posted as much on the Panther forum. And that's the least of what I've said, in regards to the Panthers, being correct, so go try your word jumble with someone else. So I wouldn't waste my time drivin to a game that wasn't goin on. I'm not lost in la-la land like yourself.

Maybe you missed out on the fact that, at the time, the Panthers had to unload their portion of ownership in San Antonio before actually buyin another AHL franchise. Oh wait. That's right. you've never acknowledged bein wrong about who owned the Rampage prior to the 05-06 season.

Selective reading doesn't change facts from bein facts. Its been written and reported numerous places. Evidently just not where you read. Hell, I'm only a casual follower of minor league hockey, and I knew of Gilbert's effort before the Robinsons announced the failure of their efforts.
I don't subscribe to your incessant rants, CCR, AS to Heckler's Grove, I don't buy into the AHL VS Cyclones "war", in fact, Said owner was actively promoting Cyclones supporters to support the RailRaiders and the Robinsons because no one, NO ONE, knew the Cyclones were going to be back @ Fifth/third Arena (US Bank Arena) if u had bothered to pay attention to other leagues, No one saw the Cyclones being reinstated to the ECHL AND WERE JUST AS SHOCKED to see them back knowing their historical pattern, so who cares what u say, and wasn't it U who kept telling EVERYBODY who'd listen to u that the Panthers were buying the Utah franchise to be placed in Orlando every other month or so, did u not?????

CHRDANHUTCH is offline  
Old
04-27-2006, 12:36 PM
  #28
NEOhioHockeyFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
I hope u have a team in 2007, SLB, but I'm not holding out much hope right now besides Gilbert won't be running the team, didn't he hire someone to oversee that.
Yeah... the same person who is the president of the Cavaliers, who happen to be in the playoffs... your point is?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
I'm comparing Gilbert to the Robinsons only in the aspect that the Robinsons stated the exact same thing to Cincinnati and the AHL fanbase all along, no one wanted to see the Robinsons fail in their attempt whatsoever.
That is not true... Robinson said there would be hockey IF the 2000 STH goal was met. It was NOT. He didn't let anyone down. Any people who wanted hockey and didn't give their $25 deposit let themselves down. That has nothing to do with Cleveland. Gilbert has said he is purchasing a team and when he does it will play in 07-08. That is the only statements he has made. Fairly simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
Fact is: THE AHL has left Ohio for perhaps the last time, the same way they left Kentucky, which u inherited in 2001, in case u forgot, who moved to Cleveland back then, hmmmmmm, and this was well before the Lumberjacks and the IHL went under.
I'm sure that was said when the original Barons left as well. Although, I guess you would think that is a "fact" if you think what the guy in the PJStar says is gospel. Why are you even bringing up the IHL? The entire league folded. That has nothing to do with Cleveland OR Cincinnati.

NEOhioHockeyFan is offline  
Old
04-27-2006, 04:59 PM
  #29
Rumblick
Registered User
 
Rumblick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: I - 78
Country: United States
Posts: 1,985
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
AS to Heckler's Grove, I don't buy into the AHL VS Cyclones "war",
Chris: How can you not "buy into" the Cyclones / Ducks wars? You read many message boards (at least, those you haven't been banned from) and you've seen for years that Cyclones fans and Ducks fans for the most part can't stand one another. To ignore that, especially someone whose been around as long as you, is patently ridiculous.


As you won't get off the whole "Cincy / Cleveland" thing, look at it from the financial standpoint.

1) Robinson had to make a profit. That's why he set the bar at 2,000 season tickets - because he needed that to turn the profit, and that is his primary goal.

2) Gilbert, on the other hand, has an arena, and needs to fill DATES. A hockey team gives him 40 nights where his arena is occupied. If he does it well, or hires good people, it'll be much more occupied than it has been (though the bar wasn't set very high by the Barons).

Simply put, he will get his approval, he will buy the franchise, and there will be hockey in Cleveland in 2007-08.

Rumblick is offline  
Old
04-27-2006, 05:20 PM
  #30
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre
 
HansH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,387
vCash: 500
The only similarity between Cleveland and Cincinnati (other than them both being in Ohio, which seems to be the source of Chris's obsession) is that the team owner (or prospective team owner) in both cases also controls/owns the arena. However, the MAJOR difference is that the Robinsons don't have an NBA team in place to provide revenues and synergy with the arena dates.

Regardless, Chris is pretty clearly round the bend with his comparisons.

HansH is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 06:57 AM
  #31
pelts35.com
Registered User
 
pelts35.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 11,612
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dango
Chris: How can you not "buy into" the Cyclones / Ducks wars? You read many message boards (at least, those you haven't been banned from) and you've seen for years that Cyclones fans and Ducks fans for the most part can't stand one another. To ignore that, especially someone whose been around as long as you, is patently ridiculous.
Saying that Cyclones and Ducks fans can't stand one another is putting it mildly. There is hatred between the two. I wen to Cincy on a business trip over the winter and was wearing one of my Cyclones jerseys. I ate at the bar and while eating, 2 guys sitting next to me starting giving me crap about wearing a 'clones jersey (mind you this is during a season when neither the Ducks nor Cyclones were playing!).

The poster who is on my ignore list just doesn't get it. A Cyclones fan wouldn't even think about going to a Ducks game if it was the only game in town and vice versa. That said, with the Cyclones back in the ECHL this season, the former Ducks fans will never step foot into that arena.

Quite frankly, it's pretty amazing that there is that much hatred in one city for 2 minor league hockey teams.

As for the Cincy/Cleveland argument, that same poster just doesn't get it despite numerous people explaining it in basic terms. Personally it seems like that person has some sort of personal agenda against Cleveland. Mind you, the Q Arena is one of my least favorite arenas in the AHL, but I don't have a vendetta against them hoping that they will never have a team again.

However, I do think that in order for hockey in Cleveland to be successful, they do need a rival that is a bit closer than those teams in Michigan. I know it isn't an option or on their agenda, but an ECHL team might be perfect given how many teams are in relative close proximity. They would have instant rivalries with Dayton, Toledo, Wheeling and even Johnstown.

pelts35.com is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 01:54 PM
  #32
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 14,881
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dango
Chris: How can you not "buy into" the Cyclones / Ducks wars? You read many message boards (at least, those you haven't been banned from) and you've seen for years that Cyclones fans and Ducks fans for the most part can't stand one another. To ignore that, especially someone whose been around as long as you, is patently ridiculous.


As you won't get off the whole "Cincy / Cleveland" thing, look at it from the financial standpoint.

1) Robinson had to make a profit. That's why he set the bar at 2,000 season tickets - because he needed that to turn the profit, and that is his primary goal.

2) Gilbert, on the other hand, has an arena, and needs to fill DATES. A hockey team gives him 40 nights where his arena is occupied. If he does it well, or hires good people, it'll be much more occupied than it has been (though the bar wasn't set very high by the Barons).

Simply put, he will get his approval, he will buy the franchise, and there will be hockey in Cleveland in 2007-08.
Then why Didn't Orlando get the franchise 2 years ago like we all were snookered into believing, numerous times by certain posters, Dango, and why again is Utah not sold and Gilbert inherited the Barons and their lease when he acquired the Arena and the Cavaliers.

I'm sorry, but I see this as a failure, why again did SJ elect to leave for Worcester rather than stay in Cleveland??????? Didn't we all say that hockey will never survive in Cleveland when u have at any given time of the year: NCAA Colleges, (Cleveland State), the Indians, the Browns, the Cavaliers ahead of the Barons, I akin this to the differences between why Anaheim opted for Portland than staying in Cincinnati, they said it's too big of a market and the Ducks were an afterthought just as the Barons faced an uphill climb to be mentioned w/ those pro teams, who dominate that market, and if u want to go back to when hockey left Lexington for Cleveland, didn't hockey there have to compete with the Kentucky Wildcats, at least in Worcester, it's the only pro team there as the Ice Cats proved successfully.

That is why Gilbert is interested in owning a hockey team to fill those dates left by the Barons, or are we going to see this Barons franchise be transferred yet again in 5 years.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 02:20 PM
  #33
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 14,881
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com
Saying that Cyclones and Ducks fans can't stand one another is putting it mildly. There is hatred between the two. I wen to Cincy on a business trip over the winter and was wearing one of my Cyclones jerseys. I ate at the bar and while eating, 2 guys sitting next to me starting giving me crap about wearing a 'clones jersey (mind you this is during a season when neither the Ducks nor Cyclones were playing!).

The poster who is on my ignore list just doesn't get it. A Cyclones fan wouldn't even think about going to a Ducks game if it was the only game in town and vice versa. That said, with the Cyclones back in the ECHL this season, the former Ducks fans will never step foot into that arena.

Quite frankly, it's pretty amazing that there is that much hatred in one city for 2 minor league hockey teams.

As for the Cincy/Cleveland argument, that same poster just doesn't get it despite numerous people explaining it in basic terms. Personally it seems like that person has some sort of personal agenda against Cleveland. Mind you, the Q Arena is one of my least favorite arenas in the AHL, but I don't have a vendetta against them hoping that they will never have a team again.

However, I do think that in order for hockey in Cleveland to be successful, they do need a rival that is a bit closer than those teams in Michigan. I know it isn't an option or on their agenda, but an ECHL team might be perfect given how many teams are in relative close proximity. They would have instant rivalries with Dayton, Toledo, Wheeling and even Johnstown.
I just don't see Gilbert's dream of our league returning to Cleveland, Pelts, but I don't have a vendetta against Cleveland per se, I just don't see a Cleveland franchise being successful when u stack it up head to head with either NCAA programs or the pro teams, including Gilbert's own Cavaliers, in season or out of season, pro sports dominate certain cities, and that was the ultimate case in Cincinnati as Shane O'Brien put it a few weeks ago in our paper.

Why were the Barons barely covered if at all mentioned by the media despite their efforts, but what franchise do u think of when u hear the word Cleveland anyway.

I do agree w/you about that's why I was relaying what Heckler's Grove was saying, but I didn't care what the issues were between the two sides or factions regardless, u were either a Cyclones fan or an AHL fan, SINCE there isn't a team presently there, it's not conducive to mention the franchise history of the AHL or you're a hockey fan just wanting to see the sport stay in Cincinnati, but I have no hatred toward any hockey fanbase, personally, it's disappointing to see Cincinnati and the Robinsons not succeed and in all honesty, didn't we ALL really want to see Cincinnati return to the AHL, AND are disappointed that the AHL may never come back to Cincinnati, and that is why I'm not too thrilled as I agree that now w/o Cincinnati, how many more times should Cleveland have hockey only to see it either be transferred, sold, or fail, that whatever the fanbase there shouldn't get their hopes up, just as the Robinsons led their fanbase to believe that their team would take the ice.

how many hockey franchises were based in Cleveland and why are they presently none and having to take a year off to get a franchise??????

CHRDANHUTCH is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 02:33 PM
  #34
NEOhioHockeyFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
Why were the Barons barely covered if at all mentioned by the media despite their efforts, but what franchise do u think of when u hear the word Cleveland anyway.
LOL... you still don't get it. There were no efforts from the Barons, THAT was the problem. That is why they didn't succeed, that is why there is not a team. That is not even debatable. The failure of the team falls squarely on management, simple as that. Take "Joe Cleveland" off the street and ask him what the name of the hockey team is here, 1 out of 50 might give you a correct answer. Compare that to 10 years ago and it's 1 out of 15. Why? It's all about marketing.. that's what we're talking about. People knew who the Lumberjacks were, not because the media covered them, but because they promoted themselves to get the media to cover them. That was never done with the Barons. What about this don't you understand? You really have no idea what the situation is in Cleveland. Bottom line is, Gilbert has money, he wants to fill dates in the arena and he will buy a team. Whether or not that team ultimately succeeds in the long run, who knows. That's not the point. Point is, this team will have a better chance than any before it.

NEOhioHockeyFan is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 02:39 PM
  #35
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,594
vCash: 500
You will all save your sanity if you just reply to the people that have a clue.

The sale of the dormant Utah franchise to Gilbert has been finalized, all that remains is for the AHL BOG to approve the sale and transfer of the team.

How do I know this? The BOG doesn't vote on the sale of any team until the deal is finalized.

And as I posted above, based on what I'm hearing the vote will be unanimous.

210 is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 03:36 PM
  #36
AdmiralPred
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,921
vCash: 500
Cleveland sucks

AdmiralPred is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 03:54 PM
  #37
AdmiralPred
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,921
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
Then why Didn't Orlando get the franchise 2 years ago like we all were snookered into believing, numerous times by certain posters, Dango, and why again is Utah not sold and Gilbert inherited the Barons and their lease when he acquired the Arena and the Cavaliers.

I'm sorry, but I see this as a failure, why again did SJ elect to leave for Worcester rather than stay in Cleveland??????? Didn't we all say that hockey will never survive in Cleveland when u have at any given time of the year: NCAA Colleges, (Cleveland State), the Indians, the Browns, the Cavaliers ahead of the Barons, I akin this to the differences between why Anaheim opted for Portland than staying in Cincinnati, they said it's too big of a market and the Ducks were an afterthought just as the Barons faced an uphill climb to be mentioned w/ those pro teams, who dominate that market, and if u want to go back to when hockey left Lexington for Cleveland, didn't hockey there have to compete with the Kentucky Wildcats, at least in Worcester, it's the only pro team there as the Ice Cats proved successfully.

That is why Gilbert is interested in owning a hockey team to fill those dates left by the Barons, or are we going to see this Barons franchise be transferred yet again in 5 years.
If Gilbert has the means (and we know he does) and the fans who were already behind the Barons are going to be there for the next team, why not do it? From the sounds of it if Gilbert is able to put a little money into promoting the team and the game to the Cleveland market and bring in a decent attendance, then it's a success. Things that people around here are anxious about is that someone is going to own the team and actually promote it locally. Previously it was a team owned by the Sharks, run by people the Sharks put into place, and used as a place for Sharks prospects to get ice-time. Local ownership will do the new Cleveland franchise good so long as the team and its efforts to operate soundly aren't cut in favor of something else.

Rather than predicting the downfall of this new Cleveland franchise, I'm wondering what kind of effort the Sharks are going to put into running their affiliate in Worcester. Not because Worcester is further away but, the fact that the Sharks have not made it a priority to run their own affiliate for the better of the community that they play in. They own their AHL team and opperate it for their own player development, as I stated above, and seem to have a secondary concern for the fans and the community. After 5 years of alienating the fans and the Worcester community which city is next on the Shark's list? I think that in this case then NHL team owning the AHL team is not ideal for the community the AHL team is based in.

Now conversly, take the Preds/Ads affiliation. The Ads are owned locally, always have been. They were almost purchased by Craig Leipold (the Pred's owner, who still resides in WI anyway) 2 years ago, but for whatever reason the deal never materialized. Anyway, great working relationship and now that an actual individual owns the team, rather than the Trust, there are resources to once again bring the Ads back into the fold in Milwaukee even with the rise of the Brewers, the Packers, and the ever-mediocre Bucks. While the Ads are subject to the transactions of the Preds, the Preds do not operate the team, do not have to worry about having no ties to the communtiy, and basically don't have a front office in Milwaukee acting as puppets on an 600-mile string.


Last edited by AdmiralPred: 04-28-2006 at 03:59 PM.
AdmiralPred is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 05:21 PM
  #38
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 14,881
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLBaronsFan
LOL... you still don't get it. There were no efforts from the Barons, THAT was the problem. That is why they didn't succeed, that is why there is not a team. That is not even debatable. The failure of the team falls squarely on management, simple as that. Take "Joe Cleveland" off the street and ask him what the name of the hockey team is here, 1 out of 50 might give you a correct answer. Compare that to 10 years ago and it's 1 out of 15. Why? It's all about marketing.. that's what we're talking about. People knew who the Lumberjacks were, not because the media covered them, but because they promoted themselves to get the media to cover them. That was never done with the Barons. What about this don't you understand? You really have no idea what the situation is in Cleveland. Bottom line is, Gilbert has money, he wants to fill dates in the arena and he will buy a team. Whether or not that team ultimately succeeds in the long run, who knows. That's not the point. Point is, this team will have a better chance than any before it.
You got lucky instead of having no hockey in 2001---instead of waiting until 2007---fact remains there is no hockey this year, in Cleveland---none---

CHRDANHUTCH is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 05:48 PM
  #39
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 14,881
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralPred
If Gilbert has the means (and we know he does) and the fans who were already behind the Barons are going to be there for the next team, why not do it? From the sounds of it if Gilbert is able to put a little money into promoting the team and the game to the Cleveland market and bring in a decent attendance, then it's a success. Things that people around here are anxious about is that someone is going to own the team and actually promote it locally. Previously it was a team owned by the Sharks, run by people the Sharks put into place, and used as a place for Sharks prospects to get ice-time. Local ownership will do the new Cleveland franchise good so long as the team and its efforts to operate soundly aren't cut in favor of something else.

Rather than predicting the downfall of this new Cleveland franchise, I'm wondering what kind of effort the Sharks are going to put into running their affiliate in Worcester. Not because Worcester is further away but, the fact that the Sharks have not made it a priority to run their own affiliate for the better of the community that they play in. They own their AHL team and opperate it for their own player development, as I stated above, and seem to have a secondary concern for the fans and the community. After 5 years of alienating the fans and the Worcester community which city is next on the Shark's list? I think that in this case then NHL team owning the AHL team is not ideal for the community the AHL team is based in.

Now conversly, take the Preds/Ads affiliation. The Ads are owned locally, always have been. They were almost purchased by Craig Leipold (the Pred's owner, who still resides in WI anyway) 2 years ago, but for whatever reason the deal never materialized. Anyway, great working relationship and now that an actual individual owns the team, rather than the Trust, there are resources to once again bring the Ads back into the fold in Milwaukee even with the rise of the Brewers, the Packers, and the ever-mediocre Bucks. While the Ads are subject to the transactions of the Preds, the Preds do not operate the team, do not have to worry about having no ties to the communtiy, and basically don't have a front office in Milwaukee acting as puppets on an 600-mile string.
Admiral:

Gilbert bought what from the Gunds----while SVSE bought the Sharks before that, were the Cavaliers any good when they were playing in Richfield Coliseum, before the downtown arenas were built----even Cleveland Stadium was horrible and sat dormant when Modell bolted to Baltimore, was the impetus to get them a modern stadium and the Indians went to Jacobs Field---what is the main sections of the Plain Dealer---the Browns, the Indians, etc... you get the idea...

SVSE now operates both the outgoing Barons---who are all but gone, and the Sharks in Worcester as both logos are there.

What marketing, this franchise never had it in Lexington either, so how can u blame the Sharks for not marketing as I stated before and that franchise had private ownership, as most of u remember, or do u even remember why the AHL ever went to Kentucky in 1996 in the first place, all this reminds me of Lexington vs. Louisville rivalry all over again just substitute the 2 Ohio teams instead.

We all know why Louisville went flat correct, don't we???????


All I'm saying is I don't want to see Cleveland fans get their hopes up and then later whine to anyone who listens why this team isn't being supported AGAIN....

Gilbert owns the team but won't run it, does he own the Cavaliers, but is Gilbert involved in the day-to-day operations of the Cavaliers, yes, but are the Cavaliers now better now than they were, instead of a tragicomedic laughingstock---see Clippers as a similar example.

What do the Packers have to do w/ Milwaukee now, anyway, ever since County Stadium was demolished & Miller Park built for the Brewers, Admiral, I don't see that connection any longer, w/ the Brewers now running the Admirals and the cross promotions between the 2, and the Bucks & Marquette on the fringes of the Milwaukee market.

We all said how long would the Barons actually stay in Cleveland when SVSE bought the franchise from Kentucky as I recall.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 06:11 PM
  #40
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 14,881
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210
You will all save your sanity if you just reply to the people that have a clue.

The sale of the dormant Utah franchise to Gilbert has been finalized, all that remains is for the AHL BOG to approve the sale and transfer of the team.

How do I know this? The BOG doesn't vote on the sale of any team until the deal is finalized.

And as I posted above, based on what I'm hearing the vote will be unanimous.
just like Peoria's owner in effect "stole" the Ice Cats from Worcester last season, huh, 210, we all knew Peoria went behind everyone's back and pulled the worst debacle or secret in the history of the AHL, That deal was approved much to the dismay of everyone. Name 1 other franchise that was moved in a single year w/o a delay w/o filing a suspension of operation. You should known that.

2) the Utah to Orlando rumors kept flying and were ruled only dead when Florida backed off Elmore's asking price before a proposal was even submitted, and then the morotorium on hockey in Orlando after the Seals' aborted run in the SPHL, SO NOT every deal is approved by the time the Board meets at the annual meetings.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 09:21 PM
  #41
Clash*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Ireland
Posts: 5,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
just like Peoria's owner in effect "stole" the Ice Cats from Worcester last season, huh, 210, we all knew Peoria went behind everyone's back and pulled the worst debacle or secret in the history of the AHL, That deal was approved much to the dismay of everyone. Name 1 other franchise that was moved in a single year w/o a delay w/o filing a suspension of operation. You should known that.

2) the Utah to Orlando rumors kept flying and were ruled only dead when Florida backed off Elmore's asking price before a proposal was even submitted, and then the morotorium on hockey in Orlando after the Seals' aborted run in the SPHL, SO NOT every deal is approved by the time the Board meets at the annual meetings.
Elmer, isn't it wabbit season? Shouldn't you be out huntin wabbits?

Clash* is offline  
Old
04-28-2006, 09:48 PM
  #42
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashCitiRockr
Elmer, isn't it wabbit season? Shouldn't you be out huntin wabbits?
Just ignore him...

210 is offline  
Old
04-29-2006, 03:32 AM
  #43
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre
 
HansH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: San Diego
Country: United States
Posts: 3,387
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
Name 1 other franchise that was moved in a single year w/o a delay w/o filing a suspension of operation.
St. John's Maple Leafs -> Toronto Marlies
Toronto Roadrunners -> Edmonton Road Runners
Hamilton Bulldogs -> Toronto Roadrunners
Kentucky Thoroughblades -> Cleveland Barons
Fredericton Canadiens -> Quebec Citadelles

Shall I go on?

HansH is offline  
Old
04-29-2006, 08:23 AM
  #44
NEOhioHockeyFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
You got lucky instead of having no hockey in 2001---instead of waiting until 2007---fact remains there is no hockey this year, in Cleveland---none---
Ummm... Yeah, that's not in question either. Not a lot of point bringing up the obvious. No hockey in 06-07, hockey in 07-08. Actually, no AHL. There is other hockey in Cleveland and NE Ohio.

NEOhioHockeyFan is offline  
Old
04-29-2006, 11:40 AM
  #45
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 14,881
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH
St. John's Maple Leafs -> Toronto Marlies
Toronto Roadrunners -> Edmonton Road Runners
Hamilton Bulldogs -> Toronto Roadrunners
Kentucky Thoroughblades -> Cleveland Barons
Fredericton Canadiens -> Quebec Citadelles

Shall I go on?
w/o an approval Hans

St. John's was announced a year in advance by Toronto

Edmonton's was late---hence why the schedule was delayed---everybody remembers and complains about when's the schedule coming out

Hamilton and Toronto are separate franchises---Edmonton owns Toronto/Edmonton

Hamilton's franchise is the old Quebec Citadelles.

need I go on

Again, why did Peoria "steal" Worcester w/o anyone's knowledge or any attempts were made to block.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline  
Old
04-29-2006, 11:44 AM
  #46
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 14,881
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLBaronsFan
Ummm... Yeah, that's not in question either. Not a lot of point bringing up the obvious. No hockey in 06-07, hockey in 07-08. Actually, no AHL. There is other hockey in Cleveland and NE Ohio.
then what exactly is there in Cleveland hockey-wise---not once have I heard anything on an Indians broadcast anything nor a Cavaliers broadcast anything w/ a hockey reference, now wouldn't u think you'd use those franchise to spread the word

CHRDANHUTCH is offline  
Old
04-29-2006, 11:45 AM
  #47
CHRDANHUTCH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Auburn, Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 14,881
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by 210
Just ignore him...
Reality check, 210, still hurting because of the Blues' decision huh

CHRDANHUTCH is offline  
Old
04-29-2006, 11:58 AM
  #48
210
Registered User
 
210's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Worcester, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 9,594
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
Reality check, 210, still hurting because of the Blues' decision huh
No, it's because you haven't a clue what you were talking about. EVER.

Here is the time line of events in the IceCats sale to the Peoria folks...

1) The Blues and Rivermen negotiated the sale of the IceCats from the Blues to the Rivermen.

2) Once the sale was completed the BOG voted to allow the sale of the franchise and the relocation of the franchise to Peoria.

How hard is that to understand dude? Why must you continue to bring up crap that has nothing to with anything being discussed, and the vast majority of times is wrong to begin with?

210 is offline  
Old
04-29-2006, 03:31 PM
  #49
NEOhioHockeyFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
then what exactly is there in Cleveland hockey-wise---not once have I heard anything on an Indians broadcast anything nor a Cavaliers broadcast anything w/ a hockey reference, now wouldn't u think you'd use those franchise to spread the word
No, you wouldn't hear about Jr A or HS hockey on a pro sports broadcast. Nor would you hear about another pro hockey team that is in another city 45 minutes away. That doesn't mean they don't exist. Just because you are uninformed doesn't mean they don't exist either. Stick to the discussion at hand. Its bad enough trying to follow what you're trying to say in the confines of the topic, let alone when you're off on a totally unrelated tangent.

NEOhioHockeyFan is offline  
Old
04-29-2006, 03:39 PM
  #50
NEOhioHockeyFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 424
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
Reality check, 210, still hurting because of the Blues' decision huh
Reality check for you:

Despite what your momma tells you when you're little... In the grownup world, when everyone tells you you're wrong... You are. You aren't standing up for what you believe in, you're just totally uninformed. Its like the whole 9 out of 10 doctors... Except in our case here, its more like 99 out of 100.

NEOhioHockeyFan is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.