HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 2017-18 Part V

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-03-2017, 10:08 PM
  #76
Balthazar
Someone
 
Balthazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
No offense, but I've kept fairly close tabs on things and trust my memory.

The only stuff I remember are the incomplete rumors regarding other teams offers, and references to COL/CAR talking, but nothing ever going anywhere. At the draft what was reported was that they were seen talking, and things stalled after the Carolina GM went back to his draft table to discuss it.
I'm trying to find it. All I could find so far is Dater saying that he's hearing Faulk is at play but that was pre-Draft.

Working on it...

Balthazar is offline  
Old
09-03-2017, 10:14 PM
  #77
CobraAcesS
Registered User
 
CobraAcesS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Michigan
Country: United States
Posts: 13,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
I'm trying to find it. All I could find so far is Dater saying that he's hearing Faulk is at play but that was pre-Draft.

Working on it...
Yeah there has been rumors around Faulk for years, but their GM did the smart thing and generally kept his mouth shut. If there is one thing I agree with, it's that Sakic has opened his mouth too much, and then clammed up and refused to do any damage control.

CobraAcesS is offline  
Old
09-03-2017, 10:23 PM
  #78
Balthazar
Someone
 
Balthazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
Yeah there has been rumors around Faulk for years, but their GM did the smart thing and generally kept his mouth shut. If there is one thing I agree with, it's that Sakic has opened his mouth too much, and then clammed up and refused to do any damage control.
It wasn't coming directly from Francis, obviously.

This was the Dater tweet at the deadline

Balthazar is offline  
Old
09-03-2017, 10:26 PM
  #79
tigervixxxen
Moderator
Optimism=Delusional
 
tigervixxxen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 48,727
vCash: 500
From what I recall it was Faulk was the one they'd be most interested in parting with. We've talked about him here before.

tigervixxxen is offline  
Old
09-03-2017, 10:37 PM
  #80
Balthazar
Someone
 
Balthazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigervixxxen View Post
From what I recall it was Faulk was the one they'd be most interested in parting with.
I knew I wasn't crazy

Faulk is a last resort trade IMO. RHD with 3 years left under team control, he isn't really helping for the future unless we manage to resign him which won't be easy by any stretch of the imagination. 28 yo Faulk on open market will command a lot of money (which is probably why the Canes would be willing to trade him now anyway).

Balthazar is offline  
Old
09-03-2017, 10:41 PM
  #81
AvsJost98
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
I knew I wasn't crazy

Faulk is a last resort trade IMO. RHD with 3 years left under team control, he isn't really helping for the future unless we manage to resign him which won't be easy by any stretch of the imagination. 28 yo Faulk on open market will command a lot of money (which is probably why the Canes would be willing to trade him now anyway).
We already have our Faulk in Barrie, we don't need two Barries who cant defend in our own zone.

AvsJost98 is offline  
Old
09-03-2017, 10:54 PM
  #82
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1
 
Pierce Hawthorne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Caverns of Draconis
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,898
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsJost98 View Post
We already have our Faulk in Barrie, we don't need two Barries who cant defend in our own zone.
Faulk is a lot better defensively than Barrie.


Not sure why this narrative keeps popping up with some posters regarding Faulk. Probably just people who dont watch him play and only stat watch.



He's not Drew Doughty or Vlasic in his own zone, but he's pretty solid. Easily better than Barrie.

Pierce Hawthorne is online now  
Old
09-04-2017, 12:53 AM
  #83
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs
 
McMetal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Country: United States
Posts: 3,817
vCash: 500
Yeah, Faulk is a damn good two-way defenseman. I wouldn't actually hate him as a Duchene return. He makes Barrie immediately expendable, still has lots of prime years left, and we have plenty of time to make him happy enough here to re-sign. We just re-signed EJ to a reasonable AAV at about the same age, why shouldn't we have a good chance to do the same with Faulk?

McMetal is offline  
Old
09-04-2017, 01:10 AM
  #84
Balthazar
Someone
 
Balthazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,670
vCash: 500
I'd expect the Oilers to outbid us on Faulk since he's exactly what they need and they have the trade chips. I'd easily see them offering RNH + Puljujarvi for him, I'm almost surprised that this trade didn't happen yet.

RNH is inferior to Duchene (not that much though) but under contract for 4 more years and Puljujarvi would be a nice addition still on ELC. Yeah RNH is overpaid but who cares they have plenty of cap space. Two top 6 players for the Canes that will stay with them for a long time and Edmonton finally gets their quarterback (while dumping RNH's contract at the same time).


Last edited by Balthazar: 09-04-2017 at 01:19 AM.
Balthazar is offline  
Old
09-04-2017, 03:20 AM
  #85
Sea Eagles
Registered User
 
Sea Eagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 2,537
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by agentblack View Post
Sea eagles?
What's the point? Uncle Risto, and a core group of the rest of you just have absolutely nothing nice to say about the team "we ALL love", no matter the club does.

Do I think there is a load of potential defensively? At the risk of being mocked, laughed at and ridiculed, yes I do.

I love how people just claim Mirinov won't succeed? On what basis? Zadorov is Zadorov. If he stays healthy, he'll be a massive plus.
Barrie got almost 40 points in a very poor season.
Barberio is serviceable. 750k cap hit. Tries every shift.
EJ just needs a run to be healthy, and he'll be fine, and back to beastmode.

Then you have a raft of fringe guys wanting to compete for that last spot, including guys like Cowen (who of coarse everyone here says sucks).

Anyway, I hope we come out and surprise the NHL world (opposition, AND our own flipping fans).

Everyone said to me my Sea Eagles would finish bottom of the pile at the start of this season. A bunch of no hopers, cast offs, players other teams didn't want. Apparently our coach was crap.

Now, check this out. This was last Saturday (I was at the game), win this to go into 6th overall, and play in the P/O's (this is what we did to plenty of teams this year - this team of losers and no-hopers):

Sea Eagles is offline  
Old
09-04-2017, 04:20 AM
  #86
UncleRisto
Not Great, Bob!
 
UncleRisto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 11,865
vCash: 500
Now, I was being an ass and there clearly will be improvement but if the Avs finish out of the bottom five it would be considered progress and it would be a surprise. Make of that what you will.

UncleRisto is offline  
Old
09-04-2017, 08:14 AM
  #87
Cousin Eddie
You Serious Clark?
 
Cousin Eddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 20,017
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
I'd expect the Oilers to outbid us on Faulk since he's exactly what they need and they have the trade chips. I'd easily see them offering RNH + Puljujarvi for him, I'm almost surprised that this trade didn't happen yet.

RNH is inferior to Duchene (not that much though) but under contract for 4 more years and Puljujarvi would be a nice addition still on ELC. Yeah RNH is overpaid but who cares they have plenty of cap space. Two top 6 players for the Canes that will stay with them for a long time and Edmonton finally gets their quarterback (while dumping RNH's contract at the same time).
The Oilers need Puljujarvi more than almost anybody else on that roster because of his elc. I think he's pretty untouchable in EDM.

__________________
"Cody McLeod didn't get that nose working in an office"
- Gord Miller
Cousin Eddie is offline  
Old
09-04-2017, 10:05 AM
  #88
cgf
FireBednarsSuccessor
 
cgf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: w/ Renley's Peach
Country: Germany
Posts: 30,516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
Not going to get Nylander but he could get us Kapanen++. Wait one more year and we'll hear the same as we hear now with Duchene: "we're not going to trade a good prospect for a guy with 2 years left".
Trade him now & we'll hear that "we're not going to trade a good prospect for a guy with 3 years left", it's HF opposing fans throw all sorts of unreasonable things out as though they were in an actual negotiation.

If Barrie can get us a Pulju or Nylander right now then yeah I'd pull the trigger, but I'm doubtful that that deal is out there. And if our best offer is a nice but non-bluechip prospect like Kapanen + a mid 1st, then I don't see why a similar offer won't be on the table leading up to the draft. In which case let Barrie stick around and help ease in our young dmen, while seeing if Bednar won't give him some more freedom to get his #s back to his usual levels. Once Meloche & Bigras have joined EJ & Zads in the NHL we should have enough going so that Makar & our 2017 1st can step into a cohesive unit even without Tyson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMetal View Post
Yeah, Faulk is a damn good two-way defenseman. I wouldn't actually hate him as a Duchene return. He makes Barrie immediately expendable, still has lots of prime years left, and we have plenty of time to make him happy enough here to re-sign. We just re-signed EJ to a reasonable AAV at about the same age, why shouldn't we have a good chance to do the same with Faulk?
If we could get Faulk for Duchene I'd see what Toronto would give up for EJ. With Meloche having a good shot at cracking the lineup by season's end, and Makar just a year behind him, we'd be moving both EJ & Barrie out over the next two years anyway. So why not see if we can't capitalize on the Leafs desire to take a big step and EJ's age not yet being a big factor in his trade value? Then let the quality of the offers decide whether it is EJ or Barrie that gets moved out first.

Shame Sakic moves too slowly to scope that out discretely; otherwise a Faulk for Duchene trade with some follow up moves could be really exciting.


Last edited by cgf: 09-04-2017 at 10:13 AM.
cgf is offline  
Old
09-04-2017, 11:35 AM
  #89
Balthazar
Someone
 
Balthazar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,670
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgf View Post
Trade him now & we'll hear that "we're not going to trade a good prospect for a guy with 3 years left", it's HF opposing fans throw all sorts of unreasonable things out as though they were in an actual negotiation.
Nope, straight from the GM mouth:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post

Balthazar is offline  
Old
09-04-2017, 11:52 AM
  #90
AvsJost98
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar View Post
Nope, straight from the GM mouth:
That basically sums it up. All these negative things that have been said towards Sakic. It's not our GM, its the other GM's that are not giving us a top 4 D man or prospect back.

AvsJost98 is offline  
Old
09-04-2017, 12:23 PM
  #91
JoemAvs
Registered User
 
JoemAvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Germany
Posts: 8,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsJost98 View Post
That basically sums it up. All these negative things that have been said towards Sakic. It's not our GM, its the other GM's that are not giving us a top 4 D man or prospect back.
If that terrible GM had been doing his job properly, Duchene would have either been long gone and traded for a good return or be on track for signing another extension 12 months from now.

Unfortunately our horrible GM has effed that up big time. Everyone knows that Duchene will be out of here 23 months from now at the latest and no one is offering him even close to what he has turned down 6 or 12 months ago.

He was too scared to pull the trigger when he needed to do it (if he was so set on trading him and shaking things up) and now we are paying for it.

Of course he is between a rock and a hard place right now. Especially given that he does not want futures and no one is offering him what he really wants.

But it is his own damn fault that it has come this far.

Duchene will be an Avs player this season. Sakic will just hope that Matty bails him out big time by playing with a chip on his shoulder and racking up the points early.

That is Sakics only way to save face somehow in this whole mess. Unfortunately the odds of that happening are not all that great.


Last edited by JoemAvs: 09-04-2017 at 12:29 PM.
JoemAvs is offline  
Old
09-04-2017, 12:36 PM
  #92
AvsJost98
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
If that terrible GM had been doing his job properly, Duchene would have either been long gone and traded for a good return or be on track for signing another extension 12 months from now.

Unfortunately our horrible GM has effed that up big time. Everyone knows that Duchene will be out of here 23 months from now at the latest and no one is offering him even close to what he has turned down 6 or 12 months ago.

He was too scared to pull the trigger when he needed to do it (if he was so set on trading him and shaking things up) and now we are paying for it.

Of course he is between a rock and a hard place right now. Especially given that he does not want futures and no one is offering him what he really wants.

But it is his own damn fault that it has come this far.

Duchene will be an Avs player this season. Sakic will just hope that Matty bails him out big time by playing with a chip on his shoulder and racking up the points early.

That is Sakics only way to save face somehow in this whole mess. Unfortunately the odds of that happening are not all that great.
Yes, I agree. Put Matty on the line with Comps or Jost and see if they can work some magic. With Varly healthy Avs will have a chance to win every single night. Then trade him next season to a different team for a legit top 4 D man. Other teams will be able to negotiate a long term deal with Dutchy. Everyone including HF will be satisfied.

AvsJost98 is offline  
Old
09-04-2017, 12:41 PM
  #93
JoemAvs
Registered User
 
JoemAvs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Country: Germany
Posts: 8,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsJost98 View Post
Yes, I agree. Put Matty on the line with Comps or Jost and see if they can work some magic. With Varly healthy Avs will have a chance to win every single night. Then trade him next season to a different team for a legit top 4 D man. Other teams will be able to negotiate a long term deal with Dutchy. Everyone including HF will be satisfied.
That is a terrible gamble to take.

Duchenes contract is dwindling down further and further. Unless he really explodes (70+ point pace), Sakic will never be able to get the kind of D we really needed for him in return.

That whole negotiation bs never pans out. The narrative will be that no one will give up more than a few decent prospects and picks for him with less than 2 years left.

Ultimately Sakic will either be forced to take a horrible deal where he gets a meh borderline top4 D straight up (or with a slight plus) for him or he will have to settle for another future heavy ROR kind of return.


Ultimately we will take a huge loss thanks to our amateur GM either way.
That is why he really needs to be replaced soon because the Barrie situation won't resolve itself either and I am sick and tired of seeing the career of our young studs be wasted thanks to terrible GM work tolerated by very bad ownership...

JoemAvs is offline  
Old
09-04-2017, 01:50 PM
  #94
the_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,957
vCash: 500
If I'm a GM trying to get Duchene in a trade, I guess I'd be somewhat hesitant to give up a lot too. It's kinda tricky. I would look at his numbers last season and say those aren't good numbers, but I would also consider the fact that Avs had a horrible 48 point season. So what am i thinking here, will Duchene rebound and have a much better season if I give up a lot to get him, or I'll be sorry because he'll just put up another mediocre 50 point season. When you look at it that way, you can see why it's hard to trade Duchene, specially for a bad GM like Sakic

the_fan is online now  
Old
09-04-2017, 01:54 PM
  #95
McMetal
Writer of Wrongs
 
McMetal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Country: United States
Posts: 3,817
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
That is a terrible gamble to take.

Duchenes contract is dwindling down further and further. Unless he really explodes (70+ point pace), Sakic will never be able to get the kind of D we really needed for him in return.

That whole negotiation bs never pans out. The narrative will be that no one will give up more than a few decent prospects and picks for him with less than 2 years left.

Ultimately Sakic will either be forced to take a horrible deal where he gets a meh borderline top4 D straight up (or with a slight plus) for him or he will have to settle for another future heavy ROR kind of return.


Ultimately we will take a huge loss thanks to our amateur GM either way.
That is why he really needs to be replaced soon because the Barrie situation won't resolve itself either and I am sick and tired of seeing the career of our young studs be wasted thanks to terrible GM work tolerated by very bad ownership...
Never, huh? Have we all forgotten the ROR trade so quickly?

McMetal is offline  
Old
09-04-2017, 01:55 PM
  #96
AvsJost98
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
That is a terrible gamble to take.

Duchenes contract is dwindling down further and further. Unless he really explodes (70+ point pace), Sakic will never be able to get the kind of D we really needed for him in return.

That whole negotiation bs never pans out. The narrative will be that no one will give up more than a few decent prospects and picks for him with less than 2 years left.

Ultimately Sakic will either be forced to take a horrible deal where he gets a meh borderline top4 D straight up (or with a slight plus) for him or he will have to settle for another future heavy ROR kind of return.


Ultimately we will take a huge loss thanks to our amateur GM either way.
That is why he really needs to be replaced soon because the Barrie situation won't resolve itself either and I am sick and tired of seeing the career of our young studs be wasted thanks to terrible GM work tolerated by very bad ownership...
Trading MD first and after that trading Barrie will be an easy task. Many teams will be interested in Barrie and get us that young top winger like Douin or Puljujarvi type of player. I still remember how desperate Oilers were wanting Barrie.

AvsJost98 is offline  
Old
09-04-2017, 02:06 PM
  #97
AvsJost98
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
If I'm a GM trying to get Duchene in a trade, I guess I'd be somewhat hesitant to give up a lot too. It's kinda tricky. I would look at his numbers last season and say those aren't good numbers, but I would also consider the fact that Avs had a horrible 48 point season. So what am i thinking here, will Duchene rebound and have a much better season if I give up a lot to get him, or I'll be sorry because he'll just put up another mediocre 50 point season. When you look at it that way, you can see why it's hard to trade Duchene, specially for a bad GM like Sakic
It depends on what team he would be traded to. If he is traded to a team like Nashville or maybe even CBJ, I would be watching the game with a hoodie so when MD runs down to score on us, I would just pull the hoodie down over my head so that I don't get to see a goal or an assist. There are teams which MD could fit in quite nicely, maybe even Canadians, but they no longer have the assets that we need.

AvsJost98 is offline  
Old
09-04-2017, 02:23 PM
  #98
agentblack
Registered User
 
agentblack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 10,613
vCash: 500
I think the Isles could come in even at the TDL and offer their bounty of picks and or Bellows or Toews
They are going for it more so than the Canes
People and Joe just need to get over the futures / magic beans aspect of it

agentblack is offline  
Old
09-04-2017, 02:27 PM
  #99
the_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 9,957
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvsJost98 View Post
It depends on what team he would be traded to. If he is traded to a team like Nashville or maybe even CBJ, I would be watching the game with a hoodie so when MD runs down to score on us, I would just pull the hoodie down over my head so that I don't get to see a goal or an assist. There are teams which MD could fit in quite nicely, maybe even Canadians, but they no longer have the assets that we need.
Yeah, Duchene would fit in nicely on many teams, but there are still concerns for GM's who have interest in trading for him

the_fan is online now  
Old
09-04-2017, 02:52 PM
  #100
EscapedGoat
Registered User
 
EscapedGoat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMetal View Post
Never, huh? Have we all forgotten the ROR trade so quickly?
Was just about to say this.

Dont know how you can be a fan of this team and say the pre trade negotiation never works out when this fan base argued and argued that that's exactly what would happen when ror is traded and, surprise, that's exactly what happened.

And think of the trade as you wish now, but at the time that was considered an overpayment. Only reason the avs got all those pieces is because there was a contract in place pre-trade.

EscapedGoat is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. @2017 All Rights Reserved.