Football NFL, NCAA, CFL

2017 NFL Season News & Notes Discussion Thread

Old
09-11-2017, 10:51 AM
Clowe Me

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
This is the sort of crap that gets Trump elected. Just because you stand for patriotism and respect of the country, you're automatically against black people and minority rights? I mean WTF

Nobody would have cared if he wore some sort of ribbon or held his fists up. It's HOW he did it by spitting on the flag. And he didn't just disrespect the flag & country, he also slandered all of law enforcement as pigs with the socks and went around promoting Fidel Castro as some hero of the oppressed.

This is why people need te separate sports and politics, please leave it at home and I'm not the only one that feels that way. To me it completely makes sense that some would just be turned off by everything and be watching less of it
No, it's the existence of the electoral college that got Trump elected. He lost the popular vote by over 3 million.

And just because I don't view standing up for a stupid song as unpatriotic doesn't mean i'm disrespecting the country. The flag is also a symbol which means many things to many people, so you have no right to say someone is disrespecting it or the country by sitting down.

Take a college history class ffs.

Clowe Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2017, 10:52 AM
GordonGecko
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
No, it's the existence of the electoral college that got Trump elected. He lost the popular vote by over 3 million.

And just because I don't view standing up for a stupid song as unpatriotic doesn't mean i'm disrespecting the country. The flag is also a symbol which means many things to many people, so you have no right to say someone is disrespecting it or the country by sitting down.

Take a college history class ffs.
well I guess if anything you've made it clear how you feel.

Back to football

GordonGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2017, 10:55 AM
Clowe Me

Kap was also treated as guilty until proven innocent when that girl made false accusations about him at Lockette's apartment. I'm sure that has something to do with his pig socks.

The Castro thing was pretty insensitive, though.

Old
09-11-2017, 10:57 AM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGecko View Post
well I guess if anything you've made it clear how you feel.

Back to football
You do know that it had to be edited multiple times because of all the racial lyics it contained, right?

Some people don't need symbols to respect and love where they're from.

Old
09-11-2017, 11:26 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

Bears somehow hung with the defending NFC champs only to lose on the final drive with multiple dropped passes and a sack.

That's the Bears I know and love/loathe.

2010 - 2013 - 2015 Chicago Blackhawks | 2016 Chicago Cubs - EAMUS CATULI! AC0000000
No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2017, 11:33 AM
MickeyMelchiondo

what's sad is that there are legions of fans in cities with horrendous QB play [and there's at least 4 of them, perhaps a few more] who would rather have their sad-sack-pathetic-excuse-for-an-NFL play over Kaep

MickeyMelchiondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2017, 11:57 AM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
Quote:
Some people don't need symbols to respect and love where they're from.
But people do need to be respectful of where they are living and what traditions are already in place. They also should be mindful that some of these traditions are in place to honor those who fought for or gave up their lives for the great country they live in today.

Bonzai12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2017, 11:59 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

It all depends, though. Kaepernick is a heavily specialized QB that needs an offense built around his play style in order to succeed, so if your goal is to have a stopgap QB for this year it doesn't make sense to redo your entire system for a guy that you assuredly won't have a match for in a future QB. He absolutely has the skills to be a good backup/special situations QB, but the problem is that he's like Tebow. For what he brings to your team, he also brings an obscene amount of media attention and would convert a legion of the fanbase to demanding that he become the fulltime guy the moment anything goes wrong with one's starter even though it doesn't fit with everything else that your team's trying to do. The positives are outweighed by the negatives from that perspective for just about all teams.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2017, 12:49 PM
izlez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzai12 View Post
But people do need to be respectful of where they are living and what traditions are already in place. .
Why exactly?

I've yet to hear any type of good argument against Kaepernick and what he's doing.

And really, I'm curious as to exactly how many innocent citizens our government would have to murder before kneeling for an anthem would become a reasonable protest for these people? It sure seems like the people so angry at Kaepernick are saying that that number doesn't exist, and I don't know how the hell you can think that's a good thing

And on the topic, I was at a bar for the football games this week. A handful of people applauded the national anthem. I 10,000% guarantee those people have spent their entire lives ignoring the anthem, drinking beer and engaging in conversation, only to pretend like they care now

izlez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2017, 01:08 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

if standing for the National Anthem doesn't defeat those godless communists, then nothing will.

Nothing.

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2017, 01:14 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
But people do need to be respectful of where they are living and what traditions are already in place. They also should be mindful that some of these traditions are in place to honor those who fought for or gave up their lives for the great country they live in today.
How does standing up for an anthem pay the dead their respect? The wars fought for those freedoms (which there haven't been any in the last century) were fought specifically so people could exercise their right to freedom of speech and expression, amongst other things. Standing up for an anthem in no way supports or disrespects people who have served for this country, just as not having an opinion on the systematic targeting of minorities by police, banks etc doesn't make someone a racist.

If people feel as though politics need to stay out of sports in general, then the anthem should be removed. Until then, those people have no right to tell people when to stand up, and when not to have an opinion.

Old
09-11-2017, 01:36 PM
izlez

Quote:
How does standing up for an anthem pay the dead their respect? The wars fought for those freedoms (which there haven't been any in the last century) were fought specifically so people could exercise their right to freedom of speech and expression, amongst other things. Standing up for an anthem in no way supports or disrespects people who have served for this country, just as not having an opinion on the systematic targeting of minorities by police, banks etc doesn't make someone a racist.

If people feel as though politics need to stay out of sports in general, then the anthem should be removed. Until then, those people have no right to tell people when to stand up, and when not to have an opinion.
All of this.

Especially when these guys come out and say "I understand a lot of people associate the anthem with the wars fought for these freedoms. I am not protesting that. I respect those people. I am protesting something else. I am protesting to make sure we have those freedoms those people fought for."

Old
09-11-2017, 02:19 PM
m9

Weirdly enough, the only thing I've found offensive about Kaepernick at all is the pig socks.

m9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2017, 02:23 PM
Bonzai12

Very sad.

I'm not going to continue to banter on this - because the mods are going to ultimately delete everything. But American Idealism is really dead in this country. It's everyone for themselves and nothing for a common greater good.

Clowe - study up on some Woodrow Wilson. Those wars without freedoms are at the core of how this country entered WWI and WWII. Wilson basically set our foreign policy for the next 100 years. Wilson grappled with a lot of the challenges we still have today for sure. We had Germans/French/Italians/etc coming into the US and told them 5 years later they had to fight for the US against the country and friends they just came from. Wilson stressed that people were Americans, not Immigrants. There has to be a greater good.

Old
09-11-2017, 02:27 PM
Carolinas Identity*
I'm a bad troll...

I bet Kaepernick wears sandals with socks

Carolinas Identity* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2017, 03:22 PM
izlez

Quote:
Very sad.

I'm not going to continue to banter on this - because the mods are going to ultimately delete everything. But American Idealism is really dead in this country. It's everyone for themselves and nothing for a common greater good.
Like the ideal that police won't kill unarmed citizens?

Or the common greater good... of police not killing unarmed citizens.

If only there was someone who was willing to stand up for those things

Old
09-11-2017, 03:24 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Seabrook = Thief

We have a Kaepernick thread on politics board for those who desire to talk about it and politics/etc surrounding it

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2017, 03:45 PM
Bonzai12

Where is the board exactly? I can't find it on my mobile page. I've tried looking before because obviously - this stuff doesn't belong here.

Old
09-11-2017, 03:59 PM
snowden
Man is matter

Eh forgot what thread I was in *edit*

snowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2017, 04:11 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Seabrook = Thief

Quote:
Where is the board exactly? I can't find it on my mobile page. I've tried looking before because obviously - this stuff doesn't belong here.
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/fo...play.php?f=160

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2017, 05:33 PM
Dakota Sioux
Fear the Ear!!!!!!

Carson Wentz is the first NFL QB to throw a TD pass on the first drive of the season in consecutive years since Drew Brees (three straight, 2008-10).

Dakota Sioux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-11-2017, 07:06 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Very sad.

Clowe - study up on some Woodrow Wilson. Those wars without freedoms are at the core of how this country entered WWI and WWII. Wilson basically set our foreign policy for the next 100 years. Wilson grappled with a lot of the challenges we still have today for sure. We had Germans/French/Italians/etc coming into the US and told them 5 years later they had to fight for the US against the country and friends they just came from. Wilson stressed that people were Americans, not Immigrants. There has to be a greater good.
I'm quite aware of Wilson and the reasons we entered both WW1 and 2, though i'm sure the way I see it will differ from other, so I'll refrain on commenting on it.

Old
09-11-2017, 10:37 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Oh God What's This

Get back to football please, or take it to the political board/PM.

Alternatively, I can just delete the responses you put all this effort into.

09-11-2017, 10:54 PM
Bonzai12

You can delete mine

Old
09-11-2017, 11:35 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Oh God What's This