HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OT : Doublage.qc.ca

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2006, 09:26 PM
znk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie
There have been many great english poets. I dislike it when people sensationalise the French language just cuz it's so complicated (more verbs, tenses). Quebec french is so ugly. And if you were to dub a poetic movie with quebec french, it would be a mockery.
I'm not talking about the quality of the poets.....far from it. I'm just stating that french is a really good language to translate poetry because its more flexible. It easier to translate a complex language like mandarin (without losing meaning) in french then it is to in english. And...have you read anythign in the thread.....90% of movies dubbed in quebec arent dubbed in "quebec french". But anyway right now for the current discussion I'm talking about french dubbing with no concern of where its being done.

Old
04-05-2006, 09:34 PM
deandebean

Just imagine Slap Shot in French from France. You'll understand.

The Simpsons in Quebec slang are often better than the original version.

Old
04-05-2006, 09:36 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave
Ahh I get it now.

Well in that case why not get rid of the ******** french law then? That would solve the problem and would probably solve a whole bunch other problems too. Maybe Montreal wouldn't be the poorest city in Canada anymore. Maybe tourists wouldn't be confused as all hell anymore.

It's not the Quebec law, dude, it's the France law.

Old
04-05-2006, 09:39 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by deandebean
Just imagine Slap Shot in French from France. You'll understand.

The Simpsons in Quebec slang are often better than the original version.
I understand that, I still prefer Slap Shot in english though (although it's the only movie I've seen which I don't completely hate with voice-overs). I definitely don't agree about the simpsons though, the voice-over makes me want to kick a new born kitten in the back of the head.

Old
04-05-2006, 09:42 PM
deandebean

Quote:
I understand that, I still prefer Slap Shot in english though (although it's the only movie I've seen which I don't completely hate with voice-overs). I definitely don't agree about the simpsons though, the voice-over makes me want to kick a new born kitten in the back of the head.

I guess it's a matter of opinion. I say I love, you say you hate. Let's leave it at that.

As for Slap Shot, no way in HELL is the english version better. Man, hearing Paul Newman saying: ta femme suce des plottes, is incomparable.

What about: Dave, s't'un tueur. ouais, ouais. Dave, s't'une terreur. Ouais, ouais.
Dave, y'é ben magané. In english, it doesn't have the same tone.

Or: Donne-moi un coke ou une orangeade. Toute sauf d'l'ostie d'root beer!

Old
04-05-2006, 09:45 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
I guess it's a matter of opinion. I say I love, you say you hate. Let's leave it at that.

As for Slap Shot, no way in HELL is the english version better. Man, hearing Paul Newman saying: ta femme suce des plottes, is incomparable.

What about: Dave, s't'un tueur. ouais, ouais. Dave, s't'une terreur. Ouais, ouais.

Ya but wasn't there a guy who was supposed to speak french in the english movie and no one understood him. Sort of didn't make sens in the french version. Maybe I don't remember it correctly, haven't seen it in years.

Old
04-05-2006, 09:46 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Ya but wasn't there a guy who was supposed to speak french in the english movie and no one understood him. Sort of didn't make sens in the french version. Maybe I don't remember it correctly, haven't seen it in years.

Yep. The goalie. He's funny. Even in french. Wonder what happened to that guy. Yvan Ponton plays his sidekick. Looks like a turd. To think he became a famous hockey coach afterwards disturbs me.

Old
04-05-2006, 09:46 PM
znk

Quote:

I like the french canadian players in the english version. Especialy the start of the movie with Denis on a tv show. But yeah...the french version is as a whole better.

Old
04-05-2006, 09:48 PM
deandebean

In the rest of Canada, the movie is a classic because of the violence. In this province, it's a classic because of the foul language and the swearing. Just the swearing gets me every time I see it (I made a dvd copy, I confess).

Old
04-05-2006, 09:49 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Yep. The goalie. He's funny. Even in french. Wonder what happened to that guy. Yvan Ponton plays his sidekick. Looks like a turd. To think he became a famous hockey coach afterwards disturbs me.
I've only seen the movie in french once, and I can't quite remember which I prefered to be honest. Being from Gatineau, the worst of all quebec speaking cities imo (well Aylmers gotta be up there) I'd imagine that I could "relate" better to the french version.

Old
04-05-2006, 09:53 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Ahh I get it now.

Well in that case why not get rid of the ******** french law then? That would solve the problem and would probably solve a whole bunch other problems too. Maybe Montreal wouldn't be the poorest city in Canada anymore. Maybe tourists wouldn't be confused as all hell anymore.
Which law? The current problem Quebec dubbers are facing is a law in Europe.

Old
04-05-2006, 09:53 PM
PaulPosition

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk
French is a much more poetic language then english.
It has more words more verbes and more tenses.
Bleeep, wrong!

More verbs and tenses, sure. Words, not so.

You could, however, say that english is used more as an 'in your face', straight to the point language than french... or most of the oriental languages, who have a culture of subtlety and double-entendre.

But it's not like english couldn't cope. Try Shakespeare. Or Lewis Carrol ( ).

That being said, dubbed is dubbed and Crouching Tiger or Drunken Master or whatever weren't filmed in english nor in french so wich dub you prefer only amounts to what you're most comfortable with. It's quite possible also, that quebec and france's dubbing industry has more experienced crews than america and it trickles into (somewhat) better results.

Myself, I'll usually take original with subtitles for 'repertoire' movies, movies I want to dwelve deep into, and whatever people around me prefer for the usual blockbuster. -- English movies I might use subtitles, but in english, just for those parts I don't quite get. I find french subtitles just confuse me more when I get into anglo-mode (I need 5 or 10 minutes to get going.. )

Finally, I understand most anglophones have no idea why so many movies are dubbed in french and not just subtitled it's just because, like english people who'll look at the occasional foreign language movie (be it french, chinese, hindu or whatever) that made it's way through to the already saturated north-american market, french populace gets all the same movies and tv series, only you add a few (quite a few I must say!) local productions. And looking at 75-80% subtitled anything would get on anyone's nerves real quick.

Old
04-05-2006, 09:54 PM
deandebean

Quote:
I've only seen the movie in french once, and I can't quite remember which I prefered to be honest. Being from Gatineau, the worst of all quebec speaking cities imo (well Aylmers gotta be up there) I'd imagine that I could "relate" better to the french version.

Ahem. I cannot believe, that living in Ottawa, you wouldn't know that Aylmer IS Gatineau.

You're right about Gatineau. But at least, the people here a great. I was born and raised in Montreal. Lived a couple of years in Toronto. Man, are people friendly here.

Old
04-05-2006, 09:55 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
There have been many great english poets. I dislike it when people sensationalise the French language just cuz it's so complicated (more verbs, tenses). Quebec french is so ugly. And if you were to dub a poetic movie with quebec french, it would be a mockery.
I don't understand why you keep putting down and belittling your origins.

Old
04-05-2006, 09:56 PM
PaulPosition

Also,

I must say hearing a quebec production dubbed into "correct" Paris french is the effin' joke.

Old
04-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Guriken

I've seen a little part of this movie, Traffic humain, and I have to agree that the traduction is really bad... It's not really the voices, it's just that there was almost no ambient sound surrounding the voices and it made them sound really flat. I usually watch movies in french, I don't hate watching them in english, it's just that in French I'm sure I hear everything they say... Even if they whisper or talk really fast..

Sometimes the emotion in the voices can be attenuated a little, but overall when the dubbing is well done ( ala Yves Corbeil ) it becomes as good as it can be.

Old
04-05-2006, 09:58 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Ahem. I cannot believe, that living in Ottawa, you wouldn't know that Aylmer IS Gatineau.

You're right about Gatineau. But at least, the people here a great. I was born and raised in Montreal. Lived a couple of years in Toronto. Man, are people friendly here.
I lived in Gatineau most of my life, of course I know that Aylmer is Gatineau, but it's a different "secteur" and there seem to be alot of weird people in Aylmer. Buckingham is also bad. You find ppl in Gatineau friendly? There are so many little thug kids, it's ridiculous. I live in Orleans though, so it's pretty much the same deal here minus (most) the red-necks I also recently read that Claude Julien lives in Orleans, so maybe I'll eventually meet him somewhere.

Old
04-05-2006, 10:00 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
I don't understand why you keep putting down and belittling your origins.
I'm not belitling, I'm just saying that quebec french isn't a great (sounding) language. At least it isn't the way that we normaly use it.

Old
04-05-2006, 10:05 PM
znk

Quote:
I'm not belitling, I'm just saying that quebec french isn't a great (sounding) language. At least it isn't the way that we normaly use it.
I keep telling you that its not in quebec french heh. Watch Shawshank redemption...there is no quebec french in there. Quebec dubbed movies are know for their international neutrality as opposed to frecn dubbed movies.

Old
04-05-2006, 10:06 PM
waffledave
waffledave, from hf

Quote:
It's not the Quebec law, dude, it's the France law.
Officially confused. Can someone explain it to me?

Old
04-05-2006, 10:06 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk
I keep telling you that its not in quebec french heh. Watch Shawshank redemption...there is no quebec french in there. Quebec dubbed movies are know for their international neutrality as opposed to frecn dubbed movies.
Then I guess I don't quite see the diference between France french and International french.

Old
04-05-2006, 10:10 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Then I guess I don't quite see the diference between France french and International french.
The difference is international french doesn't use France specific expressions (like Nique ta mere et va te faire enculer). Otherwise the langage level and way to speak is similar.

Old
04-05-2006, 10:11 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smail
The difference is international french doesn't use France specific expressions (like Nique ta mere et va te faire enculer). Otherwise the langage level and way to speak is similar.
Va te faire enculer is what in quebec french or internation french? Va te faire mettre?

Old
04-05-2006, 10:11 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Officially confused. Can someone explain it to me?
France has a law that says the movie needs to be dubbed in Europe in order to play in its theaters. From there, Quebec dubbers (mostly A1 actors here) don't get much work anymore. They're asking for a similar law in Quebec, to get work again.

Old
04-05-2006, 10:13 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
Va te faire enculer is what in quebec french or internation french? Va te faire mettre?
I think they use Va te faire foutre (which aint a lot better, but only in France do they say "va te faire enculer"). Plus, in France they also use "Va te faire mettre".

Anyway, I was just pointing out that the difference in the production is subtle. The quality of Quebec dubbed movies was "higher" (experts view and I'm not an expert there) because the quality of dubbing (the actors) and the production was better than what is done in France.

Closed Thread