HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

mark messier bio

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2006, 07:55 PM
Leaf Lander

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
mark messier bio

Mark Messier C
Quote:
Mark Messier's nickname, "the Moose," is a tribute to his size, strength and determination. A player renowned for his leadership abilities and one of the all-time leading NHL scorers, Messier emerged from the great Edmonton Oilers teams of the 1980s to become a hockey superstar. He was a powerful skater who combined playmaking skill and a goal-scoring touch with the toughness necessary to survive and thrive in the corners. Six times his teams sipped from the Stanley Cup and on two occasions Messier took home the Hart Trophy as the league's most valuable player.

Like Gordie Howe, Messier is credited with being the most complete player of his generation. He was a power forward, a two-way left winger and sometime center with talent and overwhelming power and size and an unpredictable mean streak. Messier acquired his multidimensional game during a childhood filled with hockey in his home town of Edmonton as he grew upwatching his dad play in the minor leagues.

He was a very intimidating force on the ice who made his opponents freeze on eye contact like deers caught in headlights. He was a goal scorer a playmaker a checker a fighter a leader on and off the ice. What he is best known for is as a winner. He made the oilers win and he was always expected to score the winning goals in tight games in hostile arenas

We have the best player in the world out. said sather once while gretzky was hurt, "and the second best plays like he is the best"

Edmonton provided a stage to to establish messiers reputation as a winner but NY would immortalize it.

" Mark was the most complete player who ever played the game,"."He could play inside the rules and outside the rules, which allowed him to assume those other things. He could beat you with strength, speed and passion." - Adam Graves
NHL First All-Star Team (1982, 1983, 1990, 1992)
NHL Second All-Star Team (1984) Conn Smythe Trophy (1984)
Lester B. Pearson Award (1990, 1992) Hart Trophy (1990, 1992)
Played in NHL All-Star Game (82,83,84,86,88,89,90,91,92,94,96,97,98,00,2004)
I have just started to write a small bio on mark and I need your help.

what kind of skills did mark have ?
explain his speed shot and on ice vision if you dont mind
please recall any great plays or a great hockey moment Thanks

Last edited by Leaf Lander: 04-06-2006 at 08:08 PM.
Old
04-06-2006, 08:49 PM
DutchShamrock

Streaking down the right side and firing a wrist shot from his wrong foot into the far post. Vintage Messier. He was smart too. Mark just seemed to want it more than the other guy. I guess it was his intangibles that made him the player he was. Decent speed, decent shot, but nothing exceptional.

One thing that will always stick with me is his fights. He didn't do it often but when it happened it became an event. Equipment all over the ice, blood coming from somebody and tons of penalty minutes. I remember him battering Kasparaitis in the corner. Mess got in a huge shot before Darius even knew it was coming. Dropped him with that.

Old
04-07-2006, 04:00 AM
Leaf Lander

Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
I recall mark was said to have a very scarey side to him when it came to the fistacuffs but i figured that was young mark pre-86.

Old
04-07-2006, 06:52 AM
Vodka Drunkenski

Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
Dare I bring up this debate again...Messier > Lemieux & Gretzky

Old
04-07-2006, 07:31 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Mark Messier had no problem using his stick on an opponent.Broke Jamie Macoun's cheekbone,knocked out most of Rich Sutter's teeth(in fact the dentist had a hard time scraping off the black tape from Messier's stick out of Sutter's mouth)and broke Dave Roberts cheekbone.Crosschecked Doug Gilmour in the face during game 2 of the 1997 playoffs

Old
04-07-2006, 07:35 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

When Mark was in his prime(Edmonton),he would cross the blueline and just rip off a lethal slapshot.He would be flying down the ice carrying the puck and would push the puck ahead of him.Messier would just skate into the puck with his stick cocked and just rip the shot.In New York,he came up with the right leg pump and wrist shot

Old
04-07-2006, 07:42 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

His nickname in New York was Mess

1984-Cup finals against the Islanders-Was it game 4?I think.Scored his most famous goal outside of New York when he went through the Islanders defense and beat Billy Smith with a wrist shot.He won the Conn Smythe.That goal signaled the end of the Islanders dynasty and the beginning of the Oilers four cups in the next six years

1990-Edmonton was down 2-1 to Chicago in the Western Conference finals.Game four was in Chicago.Messier carried Edmonton on his back and they win the next three games to finish off Chicago in six games.He played one of his best games in game 4.Messier won the Hart trophy that year-1989-90 and Edmonton won the Cup beating Boston

Closed Thread