HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

How much blame should land on Salo?

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2003, 01:31 PM
fuhr

vCash: 500
How much blame should land on Salo?

I've been saying from the 2nd game of the season that they need to replace Salo. My problem has been he isn't making the timely save anymore,plain and simple. Overall,i don't think his overall game has fallen much but the timely stop seems to be missing. I do think part of the problem is this edtion of the Oilers have no clutch goal scorers on it. Smyth scores some big goals but he isn't the type of guy who'll score the clutch hilight real goal when the team needs it. This team has always had one guy around who would score the odd big goal on his own to help turn the tide but not now. No one can carry these guys up front and hence i think Salo may be feeling even more pressure than usual to be perfect. If the Oil get someone up front to help do you think the D and Salo's play would improve?Or is Salo done? I think he may have a run left in him if the Oilers could consistantly score but i think i might be hoping.

Old
10-29-2003, 01:36 PM
nikeisevil

Send a message via MSN to nikeisevil
Well...

We aren't the Edmonton Salo's. We're the Edmonton Oilers. Salo may not be as good as he used to be but did you see the last game with Calgary? His defense left him out to dry a couple of times there.

Blame the whole team.

Old
10-29-2003, 01:53 PM
Oiltalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikeisevil
Well...

We aren't the Edmonton Salo's. We're the Edmonton Oilers. Salo may not be as good as he used to be but did you see the last game with Calgary? His defense left him out to dry a couple of times there.

Blame the whole team.

Old
10-29-2003, 02:07 PM
OYLer

I was initially upset with Salo's play in the last 4 -2 loss to the Flames. I made a point of catching the replays of the goals. 3 of the 4 goals he had no chance of stopping. Slot deflaction by Iginla, cross cease tap in by Conroy, and center left slot redirect by Reinprecht. Krzysztof Oliwa scores his first goal in what, almost three years using a triple deke then roofing it, like Mario the Magnificent. Maybe Tommy could have played more aggressively on the break-away, and not backed-in so much and so quickly. Perhaps he could of executed the poke-check. But hey it was a break-away!

The defensive core with a couple of exceptions were bad again and half the forwards forgot the basic general implied terms of their contracts: Forecheck + Backcheck = PayCheque. I thought Tommy earned his money the last game but many others didn't. IMHO, Tommy has had some off games this year but I think he has played better overall than most seem to think here at HFBoards.

Old
10-29-2003, 02:36 PM
Lowetide

He's in a slump, and it's lasted well over a year now. Since the Olympics, Tommy hasn't stolen a game for the Oilers. I know someone will come along and say "hey, he had a hot streak last season and he stole some games".

But he hasn't. And he's supposed to be the best player on the team.

I'm hoping he turns it around, and there's no reason to boo him or anything.

But if he plays at this level in 03-04, there's really no reason for the Oilers to bring him back.

Old
10-29-2003, 02:42 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowetide
He's in a slump, and it's lasted well over a year now. Since the Olympics, Tommy hasn't stolen a game for the Oilers. I know someone will come along and say "hey, he had a hot streak last season and he stole some games".

But he hasn't. And he's supposed to be the best player on the team.

I'm hoping he turns it around, and there's no reason to boo him or anything.

But if he plays at this level in 03-04, there's really no reason for the Oilers to bring him back.
Well you guessed it - I am disagreeing with you about Tommy stealing games. I have two things to say to that:
1. He has, he was the player of the week last year with a .970 save% (or something like that) - he had a two week stretch were his save% was about .950 so that nulls what you said about since the Olymics.

2. He hasn't been put in the situation to steal games. He can make a VERY nice save - but then usually the guys gets two or three whacks at the puck - so that nullfies it.

I agree that Salo hasn't been as good as he can and should be - but it is getting FAR to much attention, when we should be worrying and *****ing about the team in front of him that is inept defensively!

Old
10-29-2003, 03:13 PM
momentai

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Well you guessed it - I am disagreeing with you about Tommy stealing games. I have two things to say to that:
1. He has, he was the player of the week last year with a .970 save% (or something like that) - he had a two week stretch were his save% was about .950 so that nulls what you said about since the Olymics.
What were the shots on goals? Were they high or were they kept low? Who was the opposition?

Question for you thome26 and a very important one at that. How many games was Salo pulled during last season? I think the number is near half a dozen and could be more.

Salo was very inconsistent last year but his downs lasted longer than his ups last year.

EDIT: He just hasn't been the same as in years past when he would play himself out of slumps. I think his age might be showing.

Closed Thread