HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Sorta OT: Help with Direct TV and MSG

Closed Thread

Old
04-06-2006, 06:52 PM
LiquidClown

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to LiquidClown Send a message via AIM to LiquidClown
Sorta OT: Help with Direct TV and MSG

First, I live in LA. I just had Direct TV installed at my place and got a big package because it included MSG and I figured I'd be able to watch the Rangers play.

Much to my chagrin, I came home today hoping to watch the Isles play the Rangers and up on my screen pops up "Channel not purchased" which was odd because it worked yesterday. So I spent 30 minutes on the phone with the lady trying to figure it out and she ended with "It's blacked-out, you'll have to get center-ice to see the game". This isn't making any sense to me, right now I can still see the Detroit Tigers game on Fox Sports Detroit and the Fox Sports Ohio channel I can watch the Pirates and Reds....Fox Sports N Mid-West has the Blues game on.......you get the point.

Yet the Rags vs Fishsticks game gets blackedout...........any suggestions on what I should do? Center Ice is out, they've only got the first 2 rounds of the playoffs and not many games left, and they can't seem to tell me why it's blacked out but I can get the channel.

Anyone else go through this or something similar?

-P!ssed off in Long Beach

Old
04-06-2006, 07:06 PM
doubled

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown
First, I live in LA. I just had Direct TV installed at my place and got a big package because it included MSG and I figured I'd be able to watch the Rangers play.

Much to my chagrin, I came home today hoping to watch the Isles play the Rangers and up on my screen pops up "Channel not purchased" which was odd because it worked yesterday. So I spent 30 minutes on the phone with the lady trying to figure it out and she ended with "It's blacked-out, you'll have to get center-ice to see the game". This isn't making any sense to me, right now I can still see the Detroit Tigers game on Fox Sports Detroit and the Fox Sports Ohio channel I can watch the Pirates and Reds....Fox Sports N Mid-West has the Blues game on.......you get the point.

Yet the Rags vs Fishsticks game gets blackedout...........any suggestions on what I should do? Center Ice is out, they've only got the first 2 rounds of the playoffs and not many games left, and they can't seem to tell me why it's blacked out but I can get the channel.

LiquidClown - I too live in an area outside of New York and in the past I had a dish that included MSG and was able to see Ranger games. I believe that the person you spoke to was feeding you a line of BS. You need to call the dish network back and talk to someone who knows something. I no longer have a disk, but do have center ice and the first few games of the season the screen was black, I had to call the cable company and finially was able to get the situation resolved.

Good Luck!

Old
04-06-2006, 07:09 PM
RangersMoogle

Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
Right now is the 'free preview' deal for the MLB programming package, so you can get those. You need NHL Center Ice to watch NHL games, even if you have the sports package.

I have no idea why you're getting the Blues game.

Old
04-06-2006, 07:14 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Most services will black out games on the various other networks and make you buy the package and use their channels

Old
04-06-2006, 07:51 PM
LiquidClown

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
Most services will black out games on the various other networks and make you buy the package and use their channels
Yeah that's what this is the Direct TV "Sports Package"

Old
04-06-2006, 08:15 PM
rangerjoe

If you purchase the region sports network package, you'll receive all of each station's programming until the time of a live pro event. At that time, if you do not subscribe to one of the sports packages, such as NHL Center Ice, you will get blacked out.

Not sure why you'd be getting the Blues game, unless they are playing your local team, which I assume is the Kings...who I believe are hosting San Jose tonight, so not sure why you are seeing that game...

RangerJoe

Old
04-06-2006, 08:24 PM
LiquidClown

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerjoe
If you purchase the region sports network package, you'll receive all of each station's programming until the time of a live pro event. At that time, if you do not subscribe to one of the sports packages, such as NHL Center Ice, you will get blacked out.

Not sure why you'd be getting the Blues game, unless they are playing your local team, which I assume is the Kings...who I believe are hosting San Jose tonight, so not sure why you are seeing that game...

RangerJoe
Curiously enough the Blues game is now blacked out as are the kings, BOTH of which were working before I spoke with the lady (yes game not pregame)

I believe this is an illegal blackout...it states on their webpage that Direct TV is not the one who decides what to blackout and that they must follow the blackout rules of the stations/sport. The blackout rules of the NHL should only affect me if I'm inside of the New York broadcast area or that station MSG is allowing another channel, that I can recieve, to show the game. Neither of which is the case. I'm being deliberately filtered out of both FSNY and MSG. It's also false advertising as it says on the site that I will be able to recieve these channels.

This is complete BS

Old
04-06-2006, 10:16 PM
LiquidClown

So I just tuned into MSG and I can watch the replay? ***?

Does MSG always show replays? I guess I can live with watching the replay of the game seeing as how I'm on the West Coast.......I'm still pretty peeved though.

Old
04-07-2006, 08:36 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidClown

If you're in LA, I would recommend getting a Mai Tai at Trader Vics!

04-07-2006, 08:53 AM
doubled

I would still call direct TV

I really think its something screwed up on the direct TV side - I would call and complain and keep at it until you get what you need. Or get Center Ice, I had a friend get that a few days ago and it was only 40 for the rest of the season and first two rounds of the playoffs.

Old
04-07-2006, 07:21 PM
shoothepuck

You need to call DirecTV, and get it fixed. Whomever you spoke to made a mistake. I have two DirceTVs, one at my house in upstate NY, and the other at a Condo in NJ. I have the basic package on both, and I get all the Ranger games on MSG no matter who's playing or which state I'm watching in. If you have even the basic package that includes MSG at no extra cost, you should be able to see all the Ranger games (except the ones broadcast on NBC, like this weekend game against Boston), you can view that one on Satelite if you get local channels, I can see that game in NJ also. The state you live in shouldn't matter. You can watch the replays, but only if the game was originally broadcast on MSG. Call them up and get it fixed.

Old
04-07-2006, 10:01 PM
LiquidClown

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck
You need to call DirecTV, and get it fixed. Whomever you spoke to made a mistake. I have two DirceTVs, one at my house in upstate NY, and the other at a Condo in NJ. I have the basic package on both, and I get all the Ranger games on MSG no matter who's playing or which state I'm watching in. If you have even the basic package that includes MSG at no extra cost, you should be able to see all the Ranger games (except the ones broadcast on NBC, like this weekend game against Boston), you can view that one on Satelite if you get local channels, I can see that game in NJ also. The state you live in shouldn't matter. You can watch the replays, but only if the game was originally broadcast on MSG. Call them up and get it fixed.
Welp I wasted another 45 minutes of my life. Same BS they told me yesterday, this time one lady hung up on me after I had to explain to her how a blackout worked. Then I was on hold for 30minutes waiting for a supervisor. He was friendly enough but basically said the same schtick they other guy said..."we don't do the blackouts, the networks do" which I still reaks of BS...I think they're blacking people out to get them to buy the Center Ice package. Seriously what's the point in saying you get the fox sports/msg comcast channels if you can't watch games on them?

I found a number to the MSG network and hopefully I can get through tomorrow or monday and ask them if they're doing it. Here's what I found on the MSG site....

NEW YORK RANGERS BLACKOUT POLICY

New York - Up to 50 games may be carried beyond Sullivan, Ulster and Dutchess Counties.
- Total blackout within 50 miles of Buffalo, including Rochester.
New Jersey
- Total blackout south of Mercer, Monmouth and Ocean Counties.
Connecticut
- Up to 50 games may be carried beyond Fairfield County.
Pennsylvania
- Up to 50 games may be carried in the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area.
- Total blackout beyond the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area.

Old
04-18-2006, 02:20 PM
LiquidClown

Just a follow up on this if anyone is thinking of doing the same...here's the email I recieved from the NHL......

"I was forwarded an email you sent to iceage@nhl.com. Thank you for your email.

The reason you are not able to watch Rangers games on MSG Network in California is due to local telecast territories, which are commonly used by most major sports leagues to allow clubs to develop a fan base in their own markets. Unfortunately, California is not located in the local telecast territory of the Rangers. While MSG Network has the local telecast rights to the Rangers, it has never had the right to distribute Rangers games outside of the local telecast territory. Rangers games should be available to you when they play the team in your area or when the Rangers are nationally televised on OLN or NBC. The other option is the NHL Center Ice package.

I hope this helps answer your question. Thanks again for your e-mail."

Welp I guess that kills that. As a consolation I can watch replays some nights on FSNY (as long as the fishsticks aren't playing) or I can watch "Rangers in 60" which kinda sucks because you know when a goal is coming...... oh well..... hopefully I can grab the playoff games on replay.

Old
04-18-2006, 02:28 PM
Vodka Drunkenski

Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
A few years ago when I had Direct tv, I called halfway through the season to see how much it would cost to get Center Ice. I was able to get them to give me the rest of the season and the playoffs for free as long as I signed up the for the full season the following year. I know this doesn't really help you with your problem but I figured I would throw it out there..

Old
04-18-2006, 03:30 PM
I am Jack's Fish

Send a message via AIM to I am Jack's Fish
Your problem is consistent with local broadcast rightsholders policies, and is not a Directv issue.

You will not be able to watch out of market major sporting events on the Sports Pack unless you buy the individual packages.

You will still be able to see NCAA games that are broadcast across all regionals (youwill see this during football and basketball seasons), you will see NCAA hockey, and you will see AHL games (plus the odd OHL game out of Detroit).

As for the one poster who said he was able to see the game at his other home, the question I have for you is where is the bill going to? The other thing to is that the NY area migth not be broken down by state, but by region instead, hence you can see those networks from both locations.

Old
04-18-2006, 04:05 PM
NYR2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck
How the hell? I've had to deal with blackouts all season when the Rangers were on the road and it drove me crazy, and now I'm going through it again with the Yankees. And I have MSG and Center Ice.

Closed Thread