HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Melrose on Kaspar/Hip checks

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-06-2006, 07:57 PM
  #1
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 22,913
vCash: 500
Awards:
Melrose on Kaspar/Hip checks

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...rry&id=2399467

"Knee-to-knee hits are a problem. I think if one is delivered in a game, the player needs to be severely penalized when it happens. Not a two-minute call, but a four-minute call. If the player does it again, suspend him. To take the point further, I think the hip check that Darius Kasparaitis uses should be banned. The hip check is an old-time kind of hit. Any time a hip check is delivered, there is a strong chance for a knee injury. I don't think we should keep a hit in the game that isn't officially in the playbook, but can still hurt a player."

The hip check has always been one of the most exciting and punishing plays in hockey when executed properly. I see no reason to get rid of it. The argument that it is dangerous is silly, IMO. Hockey is a brutal game, and there is always a chance for injury with any hit that occurs. Thoughts?

nyr2k2 is offline  
Old
04-06-2006, 08:35 PM
  #2
DutchShamrock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 4,964
vCash: 500
I agree with you. There has been one injury from a Darius hip check and that was a freak accident deriving from Connolly jumping. He put his knee between Kaspar's hip and the boards.

I just want to try and diffuse any potential ranting and point out that Melrose didn't call it dirty or illegal, just that the hit itself should be made illegal.

DutchShamrock is offline  
Old
04-06-2006, 08:46 PM
  #3
007
Olympic nut
 
007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mannahatta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 3,475
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Melrose might have a point, but I disagree. The problem comes not from the hip-check itself, it comes from guys like Tucker, who like to submarine players and deliberately go to take out the legs.

The best hip-checks (and most effective) catch the opposing player higher up, high on the hip. That way, the checker can pretty much pick up the opposing player and carry him into the boards. I've seen Kaspar did this against Jan Hlavac once and Leetch do it as well. Both rank amongst the most thunderous checks I've seen live.

007 is offline  
Old
04-06-2006, 08:56 PM
  #4
Lundqvist102
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 745
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist102
In the end, it comes down to the fact that hip checks are just a part of hockey. It's like in the NFL, when a guy throws a thunderous hit there are risk involved, but the reason no one does anything about it is because its just part of the game.

Hockey has already lost some amount of physicality, it would be a shame if we see big hits illegal also.

Again, the guys got a point, but at the end of the day its really not something worth pursuing.

Lundqvist102 is offline  
Old
04-06-2006, 09:02 PM
  #5
ThisYearsModel
Registered User
 
ThisYearsModel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Country: United States
Posts: 6,890
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by midclasscasualty
http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/column...rry&id=2399467

"Knee-to-knee hits are a problem. I think if one is delivered in a game, the player needs to be severely penalized when it happens. Not a two-minute call, but a four-minute call. If the player does it again, suspend him. To take the point further, I think the hip check that Darius Kasparaitis uses should be banned. The hip check is an old-time kind of hit. Any time a hip check is delivered, there is a strong chance for a knee injury. I don't think we should keep a hit in the game that isn't officially in the playbook, but can still hurt a player."

The hip check has always been one of the most exciting and punishing plays in hockey when executed properly. I see no reason to get rid of it. The argument that it is dangerous is silly, IMO. Hockey is a brutal game, and there is always a chance for injury with any hit that occurs. Thoughts?

Melrose is a moron. Where was he on the Scott Stevens "shoulder/elbow" to the heads of players.....a move that actually affected careers? What a dope.

ThisYearsModel is offline  
Old
04-06-2006, 09:06 PM
  #6
KasparKrunch
Registered User
 
KasparKrunch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 402
vCash: 500
guys, u know my opinion on the subject....darius keep the hip checks coming dog.

KasparKrunch is offline  
Old
04-06-2006, 09:11 PM
  #7
JerseyRangers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Jersey City, NJ
Country: Ukraine
Posts: 1,606
vCash: 500
I totally disagree with Melrose. No problem with hip checks. I got a bigger problem with guys going to the head; either at the beginning of the hit or as a follow thru ala Scott Stevens. I'm sure that there have been alot less career ending injuries from hip checks then there have been from high hits.

JerseyRangers is offline  
Old
04-06-2006, 09:21 PM
  #8
Balej20*
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 11,045
vCash: 500
Yeah, lets ban one of the finest arts of hitting in the history of hockey. Good call Barry, you cut your hair yet?

Balej20* is offline  
Old
04-06-2006, 10:02 PM
  #9
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
I like Barry but I disagree with him here.

The hip check has been around for years and you know what? Hockey is a brutal, tough sport. This is a contact sport, injuries are a sad part of the game. There's a reason why you didn't see 36-44 years old playing that often in the old days: because you couldn't last that long.

We can't protect players who participate in a tough sport just because it extends careers and increases profits.

Take one look at thw 94 cup and you see some GREAT hip checks including one by a guy named Leetch.

Now I don't normally dive into social issues on here but can we honestly say that if Kasparitis was a Canadian or American player that'd he be mentioned? If he was and he also put 50 points a year I don't think you'd ever here it.

Sorry its a rough hit and it can hurt people, but it's legal and Melrose of all people should appreciate the rough side of the sport. That was the only think that kept his underskilled career alive.

Edge is offline  
Old
04-06-2006, 10:21 PM
  #10
True Blue
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 15,008
vCash: 500
Miraculous how the game of hockey has survived this long with such an obvious instrument of barbaric brutality.

True Blue is offline  
Old
04-06-2006, 10:23 PM
  #11
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Miraculous how the game of hockey has survived this long with such an obvious instrument of barbaric brutality.
Yeah and every time there is a clean hit this year, people want a suspension just because the guy got hurt.

Even a lot of the fans are starting to expect hockey to be less physical, that's just sad.

Edge is offline  
Old
04-06-2006, 11:36 PM
  #12
007
Olympic nut
 
007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mannahatta
Country: Lebanon
Posts: 3,475
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to 007 Send a message via MSN to 007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Yeah and every time there is a clean hit this year, people want a suspension just because the guy got hurt.

Even a lot of the fans are starting to expect hockey to be less physical, that's just sad.
I think a lot of people just feel that it's inevitable, whether they like it or not; a sort of Disneyfication of the sport, cleaning it up to expand the market to people who find it "too violent."

007 is offline  
Old
04-07-2006, 12:57 AM
  #13
Corto
Faceless Man
 
Corto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Braavos
Country: Croatia
Posts: 12,858
vCash: 500
I get what he's saying, but even as a fan of a team who had a player ousted by Kaspar's hip-check, I don't agree with him there.

Hip-check should stay legal, IMO.

Corto is offline  
Old
04-07-2006, 01:57 AM
  #14
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
The point of a good check is to make someone think twice, physically wear a team down and make em slow for pete's sake.

You take that out and you're going to throw off the game. It's like moving the bases back even a foot in baseball, it changes the dynamic of the game.

Part of the problem is with all this equipment players think they are invincible. I know it's been talked about over the years, but these guys throw their bodies around now because they feel the equipment is is going to protect them. Then when the get hit and they get hurt, they get upset and it's somehow cheap.

These guys are getting to the point where they feel offended if they get hit, like somehow a defenseman should just clear a path for them to take their shot.

Edge is offline  
Old
04-07-2006, 02:50 AM
  #15
Kovy274Hart
Registered User
 
Kovy274Hart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Shaolin
Country: United States
Posts: 1,498
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Yeah and every time there is a clean hit this year, people want a suspension just because the guy got hurt.

Even a lot of the fans are starting to expect hockey to be less physical, that's just sad.

Good post Edge. It's getting ridiculous. Some hits don't even merit penalties. But the refs sometimes overreact depending if players are down.


I like Melrose but disagree with him on the hip check. It has been part of hockey for a long time. And it is a legal play defensemen can still use to take an attacking player off the puck.

Why penalize that kind of effort?

Kovy274Hart is offline  
Old
04-07-2006, 08:32 AM
  #16
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 29,808
vCash: 500
Awards:
Come on, Barry, it's still hockey.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline  
Old
04-07-2006, 01:31 PM
  #17
RangersMoogle
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ohio
Country: American Samoa
Posts: 966
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RangersMoogle Send a message via MSN to RangersMoogle
They're not going to ban hipchecks, Melrose is just bein' an old coot who doesn't know when to shut up.

RangersMoogle is offline  
Old
04-07-2006, 01:48 PM
  #18
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest
 
BigCanada77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 1,817
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
The point of a good check is to make someone think twice, physically wear a team down and make em slow for pete's sake.

You take that out and you're going to throw off the game. It's like moving the bases back even a foot in baseball, it changes the dynamic of the game.

Part of the problem is with all this equipment players think they are invincible. I know it's been talked about over the years, but these guys throw their bodies around now because they feel the equipment is is going to protect them. Then when the get hit and they get hurt, they get upset and it's somehow cheap.

These guys are getting to the point where they feel offended if they get hit, like somehow a defenseman should just clear a path for them to take their shot.
I totally agree with this. Hitting and checking is probably the best part of my game so i can back this up. Now I dont usually hip check because I play forward, but it can be applied to all hits. When someone is in the neutral zone with their head down, or they're admiring their pass for a second too long, you're gonna get lit up. That makes that player think twice when he's getting passed to in the neutral zone, which may cause him to lose control of the puck. A big part of delivering a hit is that you send a message. To eliminate hits like the hip check makes this an entirely different game.

I mean c'mon, we're not playing roller hockey here.

BigCanada77 is offline  
Old
04-07-2006, 02:21 PM
  #19
NYR94
Registered User
 
NYR94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 5,701
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to NYR94
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Now I don't normally dive into social issues on here but can we honestly say that if Kasparitis was a Canadian or American player that'd he be mentioned?
Nope. Kaspar has taken so much **** this year that I'm seriously getting sick of it.

NYR94 is offline  
Old
04-07-2006, 02:43 PM
  #20
jerseydevil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,859
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisYearsModel
Melrose is a moron. Where was he on the Scott Stevens "shoulder/elbow" to the heads of players.....a move that actually affected careers? What a dope.
Your comment about Stevens hits that "actually affected careers"..really doesn't pertain to the hip check conversation..but you'd have to live in a bubble if you think Stevens hits didn't spark controversy in the media. One big difference is that the players/coaches really think that Kaspar is a dirty player that intends to injure...most coaches and players didn't feel that way about Stevens. Kaspar has a very bad rep...

With that said, I think Kaspar's hip checks are 100% legal and should not be banned.

jerseydevil is offline  
Old
04-07-2006, 02:46 PM
  #21
94now
Registered User
 
94now's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Snow Belt, USA
Country: United Nations
Posts: 6,445
vCash: 500
Hip check should be allowed, while knee to knee should be penalized severely. If you missed your check it's you problem and you, as a player, should be kept accountable for any mistakes. Elbow to head - same treatment. Stivens should not be HOF for what he's done in the field of Hockey Brutality.


Last edited by SingnBluesOnBroadway: 04-07-2006 at 02:52 PM.
94now is offline  
Old
04-07-2006, 02:55 PM
  #22
Fletch
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Brooklyn
Posts: 21,304
vCash: 500
Leetch uses(d) the hipcheck...

quite frequently...can't remember too many knees he's taken out over his career.

Fletch is offline  
Old
04-07-2006, 04:30 PM
  #23
eco's bones
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Elmira NY
Country: United States
Posts: 12,391
vCash: 500
A lot of the noise being made about Kaspar pertains to Kaspar's past when he used to run all over the place looking for the big hit. He doesn't really play like that anymore. One should also take a look at him-- he's short and stocky. There are larger players like Blake who use the hip check very effectively also. Anyway I don't think they should take it out of the game. What they should do is look at hits below the knee and make judgements (suspensions) on them if they are warranted. If in the instance of someone who like Connolly gets injured trying to jump out of a way of a hit that should not mitigate against the player delivering the hit.

eco's bones is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:11 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.