HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Does anyone have the Rebok 5K skates?

Old
04-01-2006, 09:16 PM
Reiher

vCash: 500
Does anyone have the Rebok 5K skates?

I just bought them, but still haven't tried them out yet, wanted to know if anyone has had them and what they think of them so far.

Reiher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2006, 11:46 PM
knight44

Dude, i had them for a half season. I didnt like them, so i got the new Nike Supreme one90, but meh you might like them

knight44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2006, 12:23 AM
DaveyCrockett

Just a wee bit of a price difference between the 5K and the one90.That is like comparing platinum to copper.

DaveyCrockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2006, 12:26 AM
knight44

yeah thats true but, come on which one would you rather have?

Old
04-02-2006, 01:18 AM
Reiher

well considering i almost broke the bank with the 5k's, and i'm upgrading from bauer supreme 1000's, I don't think I'll be complaining, but what didn't you like about the 5k's?

Old
04-02-2006, 01:21 AM
knight44

To me they werent that comfortable, and this might sound weird but i couldnt get great grip on the ice even after it was sharpend. I would go fast but at times the blade would slip so i was like screw it after 10 games of using it.

Old
04-02-2006, 01:25 AM
Reiher

yeah that would piss me off, I'm gonna try them out for the first time tommorrow, if they slip on me like my 1000's have been doing recently, I'm gonna be pissed. But I mean i found them quite comfortable when I had them on in the store, I was also looking at some Synergy 700's, but I found that the 700's had too much room in the back of my foot and reminded me a bit of my bauers, although I'm not sure if in the long run i'd prefer that or not. I talked to the guy I bought them off of, and if I really don't like them, I can come back and trade them in. So if they slip like you're telling me, I'll be going back and paying them a little visit.

Old
04-02-2006, 01:28 AM
knight44

If they slip, if i were you i would just go get new skates. I got the one90 and they are amazing no problems what so ever,and they are comfortable as hell sometimes its like ur not wearing any skates then u look down and are like damn these skates rule.

Hey never go by how skates feal in the store, i have bad experiences with skates that felt good in the store. Id get on the ice after the 1st period my feet would be killing me, its all about how your feet feal in them during the starting and stopping on the ice. I like to buy skates then go to the arena where i work and test them out for about 1 hour after we close. Id do alot sprints and hard stopping to test them out, if my feet feal good in them id try them out for a couple games. And if they pass the game tests then id keep them for a season or 2. The weird thing is that the 5k skates past the 1st test with flying colors, they didnt slip at all then when i got into the game action i was like damn these suck ***.

Last edited by knight44: 04-02-2006 at 01:34 AM.
Old
04-02-2006, 01:33 AM
Reiher

haha, sweet, I kinda feel like that with these but I can't say I haven't tried them out. But just at the store I was just appauled at how comfortable they were in comparison to my 1000's. But thanks for the advice, I'll keep that in mind.

Old
04-02-2006, 01:34 AM
knight44

np dude, good luck with the skates you'll need it

Old
04-02-2006, 09:10 PM
JaskulaR

After a year of watching junior players get RBKs for free here's some observations -- many players switched to other models of skates, half to other RBKs or to CCMs, half to completely different skates. Most players complained about durability, saying only Bauer Vapors have broken down as fast on them, and second off, high ankle support is slim to none, so if you have weak ankles, good luck.

The pumps are (supposed) to have better support.

JaskulaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2006, 09:15 PM
Jacob

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight44
so i got the new Nike Supreme one90
Riiiiiiiight.

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2006, 11:03 PM
sc37

vCash: 50
Was thinkin' the same /\ Though some people have them cause they are product testers or have special connections. They arn't officially out till May or June I think

sc37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2006, 11:12 PM
Heat McManus

I know a lot of high level players who LOVE the 8Ks, but I don't know anybody who skates in the 5k. If I see one tomorrow I will ask.

As far as your heel slipping. If it's slipping too much in a new skate you might have the wrong size.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2006, 11:14 PM
Heat McManus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc37
Was thinkin' the same /\ Though some people have them cause they are product testers or have special connections. They arn't officially out till May or June I think

Yeah, we're the biggest Nike/Bauer dist. in NYC metro area and we aren't getting them till the end of the month, at least.

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2006, 12:44 AM
knight44

Quote:
If they slip, if i were you i would just go get new skates. I got the one90 and they are amazing no problems what so ever,and they are comfortable as hell sometimes its like ur not wearing any skates then u look down and are like damn these skates rule.

Hey never go by how skates feal in the store, i have bad experiences with skates that felt good in the store. Id get on the ice after the 1st period my feet would be killing me, its all about how your feet feal in them during the starting and stopping on the ice. I like to buy skates then go to the arena where i work and test them out for about 1 hour after we close. Id do alot sprints and hard stopping to test them out, if my feet feal good in them id try them out for a couple games. And if they pass the game tests then id keep them for a season or 2. The weird thing is that the 5k skates past the 1st test with flying colors, they didnt slip at all then when i got into the game action i was like damn these suck ***.

If you would read that you see that i test skates out, mostly for myself. But i do test skates out once a new skate is released or about to be released. So with the one90, i tested it and i some how was allowed to keep them. But hey i never said believe me, so if you dont then you dont its your life.

Old
04-03-2006, 07:42 AM
Jacob

Nor do I get my kicks by calling out potential-liars on the internet.

Jacob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2006, 01:05 AM
Reiher

as for slipping in the hell and weak ankles, i don't have that problem, but some idiot ran into me while i was skating and this was in the first 15min of my shift at work, i feel on my left side and later that night i couldn't move my knee very well, but for the time i had them on they were great, though maybe i'm still getting a lil used to them, i found turning too tight i'd still slip, though, i feel like i've got a much nicer pair of skates then my bauer 1000's and they sure are comfy, and the pump does infact help with the heel support in my oppinion

Old
04-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Big Deaner

Send a message via Yahoo to Big Deaner
Quote:
If you would read that you see that i test skates out, mostly for myself. But i do test skates out once a new skate is released or about to be released. So with the one90, i tested it and i some how was allowed to keep them. But hey i never said believe me, so if you dont then you dont its your life.
So are the one90's worth it. I mean $800 is quite a price to pay for a pair of skates.

What skate do the one90's compare to? Are they like the Bauer Supreme's but lighter? I'm currently wearing Bauer 7000's.

Big Deaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2006, 02:51 PM
stick9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reiher
as for slipping in the hell and weak ankles, i don't have that problem, but some idiot ran into me while i was skating and this was in the first 15min of my shift at work, i feel on my left side and later that night i couldn't move my knee very well, but for the time i had them on they were great, though maybe i'm still getting a lil used to them, i found turning too tight i'd still slip, though, i feel like i've got a much nicer pair of skates then my bauer 1000's and they sure are comfy, and the pump does infact help with the heel support in my oppinion
If you are slipping on tight turns chances are it's a problem with the holder. If the holder or tuuk is to wide at the bottom it will actually touch the ice when turning and cause you to slip.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2006, 06:59 PM
Reiher

yeah, my 1000's where in need of new blades, but i just said screw it and bought new skates, but i haven't been out on the ice for a week now, and probably won't be back on the ice till next friday if the rinks are open...so we'll see then, but yeah i know what you mean about the holder hitting the ice

Old
04-07-2006, 07:14 PM
HFNHL Canadiens

Quote:
Dude, i had them for a half season. I didnt like them, so i got the new Nike Supreme one90, but meh you might like them
yo did you're one 90's have a Lightspeed 2 or Lightspeed 3 holder? and what did the holder look like, if it looked different than Tuuk's previous holders?

HFNHL Canadiens is offline   Reply With Quote