HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tom Poti

Closed Thread

Old
04-07-2006, 04:33 PM
Rattray

vCash: 500
Tom Poti

What a freakin rush+pass last night...

Seems to have picked up his play in the last little bit here....He hasn't had that bad of a year defensively has he?

I know his offense has slipped over the past couple years, but he's still learning the game. Renney seems to have done well with him.

Maybe next year it'll all come together. Is that wishful thinking?

Old
04-07-2006, 04:37 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattray
Yes.

Old
04-07-2006, 04:51 PM
polako

Quote:

Seems to have picked up his play in the last little bit here....He hasn't had that bad of a year defensively has he?

I know his offense has slipped over the past couple years, but he's still learning the game. Renney seems to have done well with him.

if it does, it will be for another team. I like Tom Poti, but i think a separation from the NYR and their fans is needed

Old
04-07-2006, 04:54 PM
TheZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Blue
Yes.
I to agree. As long as he attempts to do it on another team. Honestly though, poti has done a decent job this year defnsiverly. That being said he has been a real disappointment. Ozolinsh is doing what poti was suppose to do for our team (offense from the blueline). THere's almost no way the rangers will resign him as the rangers will be looking for a better FA and room needs to be made to add the possible incoming of staal. Pock and Baranka also come to mind as one of them maybe ready next season.

Old
04-07-2006, 05:01 PM
shoothepuck

Poti sucks plain and simple. What he's making $ wise, for what he brings to this team is criminal. He hurts this team almost every game he plays.

Old
04-07-2006, 05:03 PM
FLYLine24*

Poti is better then he was last season. IMO his defense is 2x better then last year (with the occasional bonehead play like almost everyone is guilty of once and awhile). He offense is pretty much not there at all this year but I don't mind his play at all since December.

I don't see him on the team though next year.

Old
04-07-2006, 05:17 PM
zestystrat

In my book his end to end rush =ing a goal evens out the the bad giveaway that lead to the first NYI goal.

Old
04-07-2006, 05:26 PM
Fletch

I'm fine with Poti this season...

his improvement in defense makes up for his lack of offense. He hasn't had the luxury of playing with Jagr out there much of the season and the offense after the top line has been sporadic. His power play time hasn't been robust considering the amount of PPs the Rangers are on. I don't want to see him signed, but I'm not complaining about him either. And yes, that was a nice rush up ice. He's done that a lot this season but usually the puck slips off his stick when he looks up to make the pass - which renders the play mostly useless, except it enables the forwards and defensemen to get off the ice for a change.

Old
04-07-2006, 05:51 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoothepuck
He hurts this team almost every game he plays.
that would explain their winning record with him out of the lineup. oh wait...

Old
04-07-2006, 06:00 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

No, in fact he's been great, everything we always thought he

Quote:

would be. He's turned into a top flight rearguard. In fact after we resign him this summer, if you penguins will twist our arms a bit you can have him straight for that trouble maker Malkin.

Old
04-07-2006, 06:10 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:

After 512 games, he should have learned the game. What you see is what you get, a guy who doesn't do much of anything particularly well.

04-08-2006, 12:14 AM
charliemurphy

One of the good things about next season and the future is not seeing Poti wearing the Ranger sweater.

Old
04-08-2006, 12:16 AM
BDubinskyNYR17*

Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliemurphy
One of the good things about next season and the future is not seeing Poti wearing the Ranger sweater.

hopefully kubina or mckee will replace him. staal will replace strudwick

Old
04-08-2006, 12:34 AM
Block More Shots

I'm sure Poti will be gone in the off-season but still, a big thank you to him for what he's done for the Rangers (at least this season). His contributions, more-so on defense than on offense, have been much needed. He's been solid defensively for most of the season and chips in occasionally on offense. Also, he's got a good +/- which is rare for him.

Renney taught him well it seemed. I remember when Poti was being benched and with the attitude he was showing, he seemed like a lost cause. All of a sudden, he started to play responsible defense and his positioning has been very good. I'm glad that he's a part of this team because he's helped.

Also, it was great to see him toss Blake down after he got a few extra jabs in on Weekes when he had the puck covered. Haha, just the way the fans reacted was great...I like Poti but I'd like him a lot more if he messed players up more often.

Old
04-08-2006, 01:11 AM
Scotty Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by zestystrat
In my book his end to end rush =ing a goal evens out the the bad giveaway that lead to the first NYI goal.
By "bad giveaway" you do mean the perfect tape to tape pass that set up the goal?

Old
04-08-2006, 01:30 AM
eco's bones

This is the best year Poti has had for us. Most of the time he's resembled a real NHL defenseman. His offensive game for the most part though has disappeared. For the money he's making he definitely walks. The Rangers IMO and in the opinion of a lot of the posters here would be better off taking the lucre earmarked for him these last few years and putting it into a pot to try to lure a Chara or a Redden or a Kubina or a Jovo or maybe even a Witt or a McKee here. Poti is not worth what's he's getting. And if there is one off the team UFA signing we make this summer it should be to upgrade our defense.

Old
04-08-2006, 04:10 AM
Pizza

Smell ya later Tom.

Old
04-08-2006, 07:49 AM
Nich

he is gone after this season. my guess is boston signs him

Old
04-08-2006, 08:43 AM
zestystrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstranged
By "bad giveaway" you do mean the perfect tape to tape pass that set up the goal?
Nope.

Every now and then when he shows us why some people thought he was Brian Leetch lite when he got him, doesn't make up for his mediocre defensive play all season. Yes he's playing better at the second half but half a season and that play was awesome but it was against a team eliminated from the playoffs. @ his salary a few mediocre seasons is not acceptable. There is better value out there.

Old
04-08-2006, 09:58 AM
Fletch

Mediocre defensive play?

guess I'm watching a different Poti because I've been seeing a mostly solid guy positionally, which is exactly what's needed in Renney's system. Of course you can get a Joel Bouchard to do the same job for less, but that's another story that shouldn't take away from the job he's done this season. Once again, he's been asked to be mostly a defensive defenseman because his partners haven't been up to snuff (and that includes Strudwick, who is a 6/7 guy). Can't say his offense would be there if let loose, and can's say his defense wouldn't suffer if he were to be let loose, but he's been in a defensive role all season and has done just fine. I don't want to see him next season, but that's another story.

Old
04-08-2006, 10:11 AM
zestystrat

Again, his 2nd half has been better, maybe b/c as you said, he now knows his role better. That said, one end-to-end rush does not make his tenure or this season worthy of bringing him back.

Although that one handed body slam does make me wonder if he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express the night before.

Old
04-08-2006, 10:30 AM
True Blue

I am certainly not a Poti fan, but it is impossible not to notice that he has been what Renney's system calls for. Yes, his offensive game has all but evaporated. However, had it been him skating 95% of the time with Jagr and not Rozsival, then it woud be him with Rozsival's points and all those who currently jump over themselves to defend Rozsival would be on the Poti bandwagon instead.
Poti has played better defensively than he has at any time in his career. Now that by itself is not enough for him to make his living off of, but given who his partners have been for the majority of the season (Ozolinsh and Strudwick) and the fact that he is not the one skating around w/ Jagr's line, he has made his play quietly stand out.
I really find it funny when those who spend so much time defending Rozsival, just as vehemently bash Poti. I have never been a Poti fan and never will be, but IMO, if you are one of those who gushes about Rozsival, I do not see how you can turn around and bash Poti's play. Exchange their partners and allow Poti to skate with Jagr, and at worst, you would have the exact season that Rozsival is having.

Old
04-08-2006, 10:35 AM
chosen

Never been a Poti guy but he has had a good season and he's less of a defensive liability than Ozo.

Old
04-08-2006, 11:21 AM
Fletch

Not sure who...

is suggesting bringin Poti back on the basis of an end to end rush. Heck, I don't think one poster has suggested even bringing Poti back.

Old
04-08-2006, 11:45 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
is suggesting bringin Poti back on the basis of an end to end rush. Heck, I don't think one poster has suggested even bringing Poti back.
Not sure there are many that really do want him back but I agree that his defensive play after the first month or so of the season has ranged between acceptable and solid. His offense has not been there. To me there's not a lot of difference between him and Roszival. My main problem with bringing Poti back are historical (the Poti prior to this season making a reappearance) and economical (he's not worth $2.5 mill). Anyway IMO a Chara or a Redden would be a big boost to our D and trying to get something like that done should be the first order of business.

Closed Thread