HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

inside info from the CHI/STL roadtrip

Old
04-19-2006, 08:28 PM
Pred303

vCash: 500
one of the more difficult things about our trip, is that we basically talked hockey to pred management and players for 16 hours a day for the entire trip, and it became very difficult to remember all the hundreds of little stories and things we heard or talked about once we came back... that and the things we were told not to tell in confidence (which of course bugs handtrick and i to frigging death, because those are the very things you would like to tell everyone that's a big fan on these boards).

but every day some new thing pops into my mind that someone talked about, here's one i should have remembered..

we talked to several people about what they thought about the "new" schedule... got a very interesting take or two from people.

crispy for one, hated parts of it and loved parts of it. the play everyone in your division 8 times part... everyone loved, because it reminded the old timers of when the league was much smaller and they loved the rivalries it helped refocus..

everyone hated the fact about only playing two of the opposing conference divisions every year though. a very valid argument that was brought up (by crispy i believe).. was that potentially it simply wasn't fair to all the teams. the point was that sure for each DIVISION it was perfectly equal since the same schedule was played by each of the 5 teams. but their main point and disagreement was that since playoffs were decided and seeded by CONFERENCE that potentially it wasn't fair. say for example LA and EDM are fighting for the 8th playoff spot at year end... their argument went that they haven't really played an equal schedule because maybe LA didn't play the SE division for example that year and EDM did. and assume that that year the SE division happened to be the toughest division that year. well then they all agreed that that would have given an unfair advantage as far as making the playoffs to LA.. and of course we know they're right.

they had a real simple solution. play each team in your own division 8 times (32 games of course). and then play the other 25 teams in the league 2 times each home and away (50 games). doing that equalized everyone's schedule, it allowed everyone in every city to see every team. (they used ovechkin for example, how it wasn't fair that nashville fans didn't get to see him in our barn this year). a very simple solution to a screwed up problem.

they did freely admit it would cut into inter conference rivalries outsiude your own division, (where for example we would only play calgary twice during the entire regular season), but their argument was that the pros far outweighed the cons, and i happen to agree.

crispy and pete said they, among others, had petitioned the league office to possibly change to this format next year. and it makes perfect sense to me

Pred303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 08:49 PM
vopatsrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303
one of the more difficult things about our trip, is that we basically talked hockey to pred management and players for 16 hours a day for the entire trip, and it became very difficult to remember all the hundreds of little stories and things we heard or talked about once we came back... that and the things we were told not to tell in confidence (which of course bugs handtrick and i to frigging death, because those are the very things you would like to tell everyone that's a big fan on these boards).

but every day some new thing pops into my mind that someone talked about, here's one i should have remembered..

we talked to several people about what they thought about the "new" schedule... got a very interesting take or two from people.

crispy for one, hated parts of it and loved parts of it. the play everyone in your division 8 times part... everyone loved, because it reminded the old timers of when the league was much smaller and they loved the rivalries it helped refocus..

everyone hated the fact about only playing two of the opposing conference divisions every year though. a very valid argument that was brought up (by crispy i believe).. was that potentially it simply wasn't fair to all the teams. the point was that sure for each DIVISION it was perfectly equal since the same schedule was played by each of the 5 teams. but their main point and disagreement was that since playoffs were decided and seeded by CONFERENCE that potentially it wasn't fair. say for example LA and EDM are fighting for the 8th playoff spot at year end... their argument went that they haven't really played an equal schedule because maybe LA didn't play the SE division for example that year and EDM did. and assume that that year the SE division happened to be the toughest division that year. well then they all agreed that that would have given an unfair advantage as far as making the playoffs to LA.. and of course we know they're right.

they had a real simple solution. play each team in your own division 8 times (32 games of course). and then play the other 25 teams in the league 2 times each home and away (50 games). doing that equalized everyone's schedule, it allowed everyone in every city to see every team. (they used ovechkin for example, how it wasn't fair that nashville fans didn't get to see him in our barn this year). a very simple solution to a screwed up problem.

they did freely admit it would cut into inter conference rivalries outsiude your own division, (where for example we would only play calgary twice during the entire regular season), but their argument was that the pros far outweighed the cons, and i happen to agree.

crispy and pete said they, among others, had petitioned the league office to possibly change to this format next year. and it makes perfect sense to me
That's an interesting idea. I wonder if it will have any tread with the league.

Did anyone throw out any opinions on reducing games? I remember the concept of a 70-72 game season was thrown out during the lockout. I know it would entail concessions and negotiation cba-wise to adjust contracts accordingly, but I seem to remember some players being in favor of less wear and tear.

vopatsrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-19-2006, 09:18 PM
Pred303

Quote:
Originally Posted by vopatsrash
That's an interesting idea. I wonder if it will have any tread with the league.

Did anyone throw out any opinions on reducing games? I remember the concept of a 70-72 game season was thrown out during the lockout. I know it would entail concessions and negotiation cba-wise to adjust contracts accordingly, but I seem to remember some players being in favor of less wear and tear.
sorry vopat...reducing the numeber of games never came up in any conversation. seemed people simply accepted the fact of 82, even though crisp did complain about how the schedule was so hectic during olympic years i believe.

Old
08-22-2006, 08:01 PM
Pred303

handtrick and i got good news this week, we've been tentatively invited along on another pred roadtrip this year with the team... we're trying to decide which trip we can work into our schedules and time off.. we're going to try to go along on one of the early (pre-xmas) trips if we can work it out.. we're looking at the first west coast swing, or the western canadian one, or maybe the clb/dal one

Old
08-22-2006, 08:05 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pred303 View Post
handtrick and i got good news this week, we've been tentatively invited along on another pred roadtrip this year with the team... we're trying to decide which trip we can work into our schedules and time off.. we're going to try to go along on one of the early (pre-xmas) trips if we can work it out.. we're looking at the first west coast swing, or the western canadian one, or maybe the clb/dal one
Western Canada baby! ... do it, do it!

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2006, 08:59 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
That'd be outstanding. Look forward to the report, and to having you back on the boards

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2006, 07:14 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Definately do Western Canadian!

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2006, 06:46 PM
Pred303

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfmade View Post
Definately do Western Canadian!
of course this is the trip we want to take most of all, but we simply don't know if we can both take a full week off to go on this long of a trip..

one of the amazing things in going thru the schedule is how few saturday's we play on the road this year.. 18 of the 27 saturday dates on our schedule are at home this year.. something i'm sure poile requested to help attendance and the league went along with

we only have 4 two game road trips this year (which is the ideal length trip for our us to skip work), 2 or 3 less than last year i believe.. our trips tend to be fewer but a little longer as a team.. those 4 two game roadtrips are STL/CHI, CLB/DAL, PHIL/STL, MIN/CHI.. since we went to chi/stl last year we'd like to go somewhere else if possible of course

our schedules make it difficult to find times we can both miss significant straight days from work.. but we're going to fit something in

Old
08-31-2006, 06:33 PM
Pred303

well handtrick and i are now booked to take this trip with the team on the last western canadian swing, March 20th thru the 24th to EDM, CAL, and VAN..

hated to push it off til so late, but these games should be critical, it's the last true roadtrip of the year and should certainly be an important time.. besides, it's frigging western canada

Old
08-31-2006, 09:49 PM
braindead

How do the rest of us sign up?

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2006, 12:22 AM
nine_inch_fang

Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
How do the rest of us sign up?
With a pen that will also write a large check.

But that is just a guess.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote