HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Guy Lafleur, RW-

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-07-2006, 02:58 AM
  #1
Leaf Lander
Registered User
 
Leaf Lander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: BWO Headquarters
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,715
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Guy Lafleur, RW-

Guy Lafleur, RW-
Quote:
Known as one of the greatest right wingers ever to play the game and one of the most exciting offensive players of all time, Lafleur was also known as "le Demon Blond" (the Blond Demon) for his long hair, wild rushes down the ice and booming shot.-Legends of Hockey

The 6-foot, 185-pound Lafleur was a fast, tricky skater, a great puck-handler, and an accurate passer. He was also strong, able to ward off defenders with one arm while he shot with the other when necessary.Known as one of the most exciting players to ever grace the NHL, Lafleur averaged 54 goals and 128 pts in his prime. His great speed led to blurring rushes up the ice and allowed him to get off his booming shot. Also a great playmaker, Lafleur was one of those rare athletes that made those around him better and could carry his team on his shoulders. A diligent worker for the puck and responsible in his own end, he played every shift as if it were his last. Clutch play and a flair for the dramatic also add to the legend of one of the greatest right wings to ever play the game. #66

"(Lafleur) is an artist on skates, creating scoring plays the way a painter puts a vivid scene on a canvas with a brush." -Sportswriter Bill Libby

NHL Totals 1126 560 793 1353 399 Playoff Totals128 58 76 134 67

Art Ross Trophy (1976, 1977, 1978) Conn Smythe Trophy (1977)
First All-Star Team Right Wing (1975, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1980)
Hart Memorial Trophy (1977, 1978) Lester B. Pearson Award (1976, 1977, 1978)

would you add anythign to this lil bio?

suggestiosn quotes whatever you can suggest Thanks

Leaf Lander is offline  
Old
04-07-2006, 03:03 AM
  #2
Stefan
Registered User
 
Stefan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa - HabsTown
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,322
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Stefan
Who else could play so well after smoking in between each period?

Stefan is offline  
Old
04-07-2006, 03:03 AM
  #3
KOVALEV10*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Simply the best!
Posts: 3,314
vCash: 500
I'd add one more thing which might not be that well known but all the old timers would know.

Lafleur, despite being the best player in the world at the time, never talked about himself. He was a very humble guy who took a lot of abuse from the media. He would say something about his personal life and it would appear on the morning paper the next day but unlike so many athlethes of today, Guy would never deny having said that stuff. He was also the most generous guy you can find.

And here's a Pierre Bouchard quote: We had all the stars on our team, but it would be a night where the stanley cup was on the line, where the habs had all the pressure to win and we looked at ourselves saying "thank god we have LaFleur".

KOVALEV10* is offline  
Old
04-07-2006, 03:07 AM
  #4
Leaf Lander
Registered User
 
Leaf Lander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: BWO Headquarters
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,715
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
im a leaf fan but always liked guy and as a kid I hated the habs

They said he lost a step or two but when guy made his comeback his spurts of speed were still very impressive

Leaf Lander is offline  
Old
04-07-2006, 03:10 AM
  #5
KOVALEV10*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Simply the best!
Posts: 3,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander
im a leaf fan but always liked guy and as a kid I hated the habs

They said he lost a step or two but when guy made his comeback his spurts of speed were still very impressive
I still maintain to this day, that after the two hockey gods 99 and 66, I have never seen anybody consistently dominate the way Guy did from 1974-75 to 1979-80. 6 straight 120 + point and 50 + goal seasons is unreal combined with leading his team to 4 straight cups. GUY GUY GUY!

KOVALEV10* is offline  
Old
04-07-2006, 03:36 AM
  #6
Leaf Lander
Registered User
 
Leaf Lander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: BWO Headquarters
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,715
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOVALEV10
I still maintain to this day, that after the two hockey gods 99 and 66, I have never seen anybody consistently dominate the way Guy did from 1974-75 to 1979-80. 6 straight 120 + point and 50 + goal seasons is unreal combined with leading his team to 4 straight cups. GUY GUY GUY!

I recall seeing guy often skate up the ice just as fast as pavel bure ever did

Leaf Lander is offline  
Old
04-07-2006, 03:39 AM
  #7
KOVALEV10*
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Simply the best!
Posts: 3,314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander
I recall seeing guy often skate up the ice just as fast as pavel bure ever did
Yep. They were the two most exciting hockey players I saw. However, Bure was only a goal scorer while Guy was the same goal scoring threat as well as finished with the second highest assists total out of any right winger in history and probably still holds that record.

KOVALEV10* is offline  
Old
04-07-2006, 06:05 AM
  #8
All-Star
Registered User
 
All-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Snake Mountain
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,436
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Lander
would you add anythign to this lil bio?
He did it all while chain smoking on the bench!

All-Star is offline  
Old
04-07-2006, 07:24 AM
  #9
BLNY
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Dartmouth, NS
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,165
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHabsRule
Who else could play so well after smoking in between each period?
Between periods? Do you think he could wait that long? I bet he had one or two on the bench between shifts.

BLNY is offline  
Old
04-07-2006, 07:53 AM
  #10
larue*
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,688
vCash: 500
Guy could skate just as fast backchecking as he did on the rush. If you ever get a chance to see old tape watch how he was always the first man back after a big rush that failed. Unbelievable cardio for a smoker. Could you imagine if he didnt smoke....

larue* is offline  
Old
04-07-2006, 07:53 AM
  #11
Darz
Registered User
 
Darz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Where's the ANY key?
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,432
vCash: 500
Guy Lafleur was the only hockey player I ever idolized. When watching the habs for the first 10 or so years I was a fan, I rooted as much for Lafleur to do well as the team. He was far and away my favorite player. A pure joy to watch.

A nice little Lafleur story I would like to share....

About 10 years ago me and a friend of mine brought our kids to an old timers game, which Guy was a apart of. After the first intermission, our sons decided to run down to where the players were coming off the ice. There were security guys blocking off where the players were coming off the ice. Well, my son (who was about 6 years old at the time) snuck under one of the security guys arms and stepped right in front of Lafleur. Guy looked down at the little guy blocking his way and said 'Hi, who are you?'. My son responded 'Ryan. Hey, you are my dads favorite player', to which Guy replied 'Well, who is your favorite player'. My son paused for a couple of seconds and said 'Umm....I guess you are.' Well Guy just broke out laughing and exchanged a few more words with my son before heading off to the dressing room.

Not an amazing story or anything, but probablely my favorite Guy moment. In a day and age where sports star seem more inclined to ignore their fans, it was really nice to see the guy I idolized as a kid be that nice to my young son.

__________________
Hey look, it's Duffman; the guy in a costume that creates awareness of Duff!
Darz is offline  
Old
04-07-2006, 08:34 AM
  #12
GoneAway
Guest
 
Country:
Posts: n/a
vCash:
I think you should add a description of the flower power sports drink in that Bio

 
Old
04-07-2006, 08:38 AM
  #13
LePoche69
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,808
vCash: 500
You wrote :

"A diligent worker for the puck and responsible in his own end, he played every shift as if it were his last."

While not completly wrong, I would say that it is not accurate.

Lafleur was "generally" a diligent worker for the puck. But like Kovalev, he was sometimes floating in a frustrating way. I remember me brothers and I sometimes saying "if Lafleur would work hard every shifts, he would score 80 goals".

He certainly not played every shift as it was his last. There was a lot of games where you wouldn't notice him for two periods, and then BOOM, 2 goals in the third. he was a game breaker, that's for sure, and a big game player.

On the other hand, I think you could add that he was the first to (I don't recall the exact number) have more than 3 consecutive 50+ goals seasons (maybe it was 4?). I do know he had 6 consecutives 50+ goals season and that it was then a record for a few years.

And don't get me wrong : he was my idole no matter the fact that I consider he was sometime floating.

LePoche69 is offline  
Old
04-07-2006, 08:59 AM
  #14
mcphee
Registered User
 
mcphee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 19,105
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LePoche69
You wrote :

"A diligent worker for the puck and responsible in his own end, he played every shift as if it were his last."

While not completly wrong, I would say that it is not accurate.

Lafleur was "generally" a diligent worker for the puck. But like Kovalev, he was sometimes floating in a frustrating way. I remember me brothers and I sometimes saying "if Lafleur would work hard every shifts, he would score 80 goals".

He certainly not played every shift as it was his last. There was a lot of games where you wouldn't notice him for two periods, and then BOOM, 2 goals in the third. he was a game breaker, that's for sure, and a big game player.

On the other hand, I think you could add that he was the first to (I don't recall the exact number) have more than 3 consecutive 50+ goals seasons (maybe it was 4?). I do know he had 6 consecutives 50+ goals season and that it was then a record for a few years.

And don't get me wrong : he was my idole no matter the fact that I consider he was sometime floating.
You got it LePoche. Shutt had to learn to be very disciplined abouyt positioning in his own zone. He became very good at chipping the puck out of the zone from the boards, though nobody really talked about it. Guy, artist that he was, would take off for any opening he sensed hoping for the lead pass, which couldn't always come. I thought Lafleur rec'd a pass as well as anyone, accepting cross ice passes on his backhand somehow.

I remember reading how whenever Bowman would want to practice set plays or breakouts, Lafleur was lost. He just couldn't follow a set play. It was a running joke on th eteam, Bowman wouldn't want to scream at Lafleur and risk alienating him, so he'd take it out on Shutt who'd let it roll off.

mcphee is offline  
Old
04-07-2006, 09:42 AM
  #15
Brett38
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHabsRule
Who else could play so well after smoking in between each period?





Mike Bossy!!!!!!

Brett38 is offline  
Old
04-08-2006, 10:27 PM
  #16
Leaf Lander
Registered User
 
Leaf Lander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: BWO Headquarters
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,715
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Leaf Lander Send a message via MSN to Leaf Lander
thanks for the info guys Ill see what I can get into his bio

Leaf Lander is offline  
Old
04-08-2006, 10:49 PM
  #17
zurg999
Registered User
 
zurg999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Brampton ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,532
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Guy Lafleur was the only hockey player I ever idolized. When watching the habs for the first 10 or so years I was a fan, I rooted as much for Lafleur to do well as the team. He was far and away my favorite player. A pure joy to watch.

A nice little Lafleur story I would like to share....

About 10 years ago me and a friend of mine brought our kids to an old timers game, which Guy was a apart of. After the first intermission, our sons decided to run down to where the players were coming off the ice. There were security guys blocking off where the players were coming off the ice. Well, my son (who was about 6 years old at the time) snuck under one of the security guys arms and stepped right in front of Lafleur. Guy looked down at the little guy blocking his way and said 'Hi, who are you?'. My son responded 'Ryan. Hey, you are my dads favorite player', to which Guy replied 'Well, who is your favorite player'. My son paused for a couple of seconds and said 'Umm....I guess you are.' Well Guy just broke out laughing and exchanged a few more words with my son before heading off to the dressing room.

Not an amazing story or anything, but probablely my favorite Guy moment. In a day and age where sports star seem more inclined to ignore their fans, it was really nice to see the guy I idolized as a kid be that nice to my young son.

That's a wonderful story, Darz, thanks for sharing.

Last August, my Father and brother flagged Lafleur down at the Montreal airport, got pictures and autographs. From their accounts he went above and beyond in taking the time to talk to and accomodate them.

It's real funny, growing up as such huge fans (passed on by my Dad), and then getting face to face with someone you idolized so very much as a kid. Thing is Lafleur doesn't let you down.

zurg999 is offline  
Old
04-09-2006, 02:07 PM
  #18
tinyzombies
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Calif via Montreal
Posts: 11,807
vCash: 500
I wouldn't be so quick to throw all that in the bio ... lol

Saying Lafleur took shifts off, I don't know about that.

Try winning four cups in a row, being THE #1 star not just in Quebec, but in all of Canada and a big star in the US (especially NYC) too AND maintain a winning edge against stiff competition.

Well, he did it and always came up in the clutch.

Not much to criticize about Guy, he was the best player in the world for about five years between Orr and Gretzky. Nobody disputes that. Ask Don Cherry, he'll tell you.

tinyzombies is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.