HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

were going to be A-ok

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2003, 06:07 PM
RGF

vCash: 500
were going to be A-ok

think about it...maybe a serious trade for a young dream stud stay at home dman--or in next yrs draft get another one too and were set on D

our forwards...stals, moore, lundmark(hell turn it up--hes a scorer--hes not suppossed to be scoring right now sathe risnt looking for that as much i think hed be more upset with lundmark if he was on the 1st line and still not scoring) jessiman, jonasen(i think hell work out),murray, roche, crabb, walsh will show you some stuff in the next 3 yrs to warrant them at least being callups..lacutoure(hes a third fourth liner and hes good) scott, ---these guys are future core guys plus whoever else we draft.

on D expect taylor to be a prize along with tyutin...lampman as a 6th/7th + future picks i forsee some good stuff i feel it..well have a couple cracks at lord stanley soon enough boys--5 yrs and were going to be sick

along with some of our vets now like holik or lindros(if he has a good yr for sather to keep him), maybe leetch and an older devries well have a good mix with hopefully a recovered blackburn and markannen as backup--seems like there are more but these guys could make a team thats better than atlanta or anyone--once we have a great coach and gm haha. but its all there - the puzzle is waiting

Old
10-29-2003, 06:15 PM
Theoren Fan

Send a message via AIM to Theoren Fan
Fantastic

especially considering how well known we are for keeping and developing our prospects.

Old
10-30-2003, 11:49 AM
barnaby63

i agree RGF, but you better watch out, all the sather-haters will come to get you even though he has done very well for our farm system.

Old
10-30-2003, 11:52 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnaby63
i agree RGF, but you better watch out, all the sather-haters will come to get you even though he has done very well for our farm system.

Done very well ???

How would you say he's done very well ???

Old
10-30-2003, 11:55 AM
Davisian

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Apparently, keeping the status quo that Smith had, a couple of good one's some "projects" and no prospect depth, is doing very well... Also, trading several picks and trading prospects before they get a fair shot is also doing a good job..

We were told when Sather took the job they'd be "bigger, younger, faster" but all he's done is bigger, so he's done "very well"..

Old
10-30-2003, 12:01 PM
barnaby63

again i say for the last time....

dominic moore, garth murray, juris stals, marcus jonasen, petr prucha, hugh jessiman, ken roache, chad wiseman, lee felardaneu, dan blackburn, henrik lundqvist, fedor tyutin, bryce lampman, jake taylor, ivan barenka, nate guenin, mike walsh, nigel dawes, joey crabb.

compare that to what was in our farm system in smiths LAST YEAR HERE! if it is better than that list then i will apologize but i highly doubt it.

Old
10-30-2003, 12:03 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:

dominic moore, garth murray, juris stals, marcus jonasen, petr prucha, hugh jessiman, ken roache, chad wiseman, lee felardaneu, dan blackburn, henrik lundqvist, fedor tyutin, bryce lampman, jake taylor, ivan barenka, nate guenin, mike walsh, nigel dawes, joey crabb.

compare that to what was in our farm system in smiths LAST YEAR HERE! if it is better than that list then i will apologize but i highly doubt it.
its a ton better than what was here before sather to here. but you can explain that to the scorned. thats what the anti-sathers sound like.

Old
10-30-2003, 12:12 PM
E-Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Done very well ???

While I agree the system isn't loaded, there is so much more prospect depth then what Smith left here. Most of the guys being mentioned in this thread should be at least AHL quality.

Neil Smith was the master of drafting Europeans that were, either not good enough, or had no intention of coming to North America.

I am no fan of Sather, but he (or more likely his staff) has put together a solid group of prospects

Old
10-30-2003, 12:47 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Train
While I agree the system isn't loaded, there is so much more prospect depth then what Smith left here. Most of the guys being mentioned in this thread should be at least AHL quality.

Neil Smith was the master of drafting Europeans that were, either not good enough, or had no intention of coming to North America.

I am no fan of Sather, but he (or more likely his staff) has put together a solid group of prospects
The system might be fuller, but, besides Blackburn and Tyutin, there isn't a lock NHLer in the bunch.

10-30-2003, 12:53 PM
Son of Steinbrenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
The system might be fuller, but, besides Blackburn and Tyutin, there isn't a lock NHLer in the bunch.
with all do respect no teams prospects are a lock. the rangers dont have a superstar in the system but they do have some depth and that was really lacking in the past

Old
10-30-2003, 01:03 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jar jar links
with all do respect no teams prospects are a lock. the rangers dont have a superstar in the system but they do have some depth and that was really lacking in the past
There are teams that have players that have more quality prospects in greater numbers than this team does.

But to point to guys like dominic moore, garth murray, Juris Stals, Marcus Jonasen, petr prucha, hugh jessiman, ken roache, chad wiseman, lee felardaneu, dan blackburn, henrik lundqvist, fedor tyutin, bryce lampman, jake taylor, ivan barenka, nate guenin, mike walsh, nigel dawes, joey crabb and claiming that the system has been restocked is simply overlyambitious.

Lundqvist still has to come the US. Flardeleau is hardly a blue chip prospect. Lampman is not a sure fire NHLer.

There are some nice prospects Tyutin, Jessiman, Moore (who I like), Jonasen (whom I'm intrigued by), and Ken Roche (who I am also intrigued by). Beyond that, there really not many players that are projected to be good NHLers.

Old
10-30-2003, 01:04 PM
Larry Melnyk

Quote:

The thing is, it's too early to tell right now...I look at our prospect list and the only area where I think we have stand-out depth and real quality is at goalie with Hanna and Labarbera (maybe), Lundqvist, and Blackburn...I love Jessiman and Tjutin, like Moore and Murray and guys like Ortmeier, Taylor and a few others but the truth is most other organizations can equal or trump this list...That's a mortal sin for a team that has been out of the POs for so long and had a chance at a much deeper org.....And Sather has had his hand in it...

That's not say this group Sather has put together won't be a success, it just very well might be...Only time will tell ..And I gotta admit I like the type of hungry, young, hard working team that Hartford has turned into..In fact, I'm more interested in them then the Rangers...But, again, only time will tell......

Oh yeah, back to the original point.....If you were around during the Smith days, his prospects towards the end were starting to be thought of pretty highly (except at goalie) with guys like Brendl, Lundmark, Malhotra, York, Chernerski, Hlavac, Dvorak (these two not really prospects but I'm on auto pilot!)) and Copley at forwards and guys like Johnsson, Burke Henry,, Jeff Brown, Purinton, Sochoran, Vasilleyv, Wes Jarvis, Aufierro and a few others....Pretty similar to today's group put together by Sather.With the diffeence in that Sather has put together a more workman-like grinding class, which just might very well be a good thing....I guess what I'm trying to say is you can always name names of prospects and say it is a "better" group, but only the results a few years down the raod will prove things....

But the one thing I am 100% sure of is that Sather could have put together a MUCH better group of prospects then he has...He's had a losing NHL team for 3 years and yet rarely traded vets for youngsters..In addition, he made several big tradesfor veterans like Kovalev, Lindros, Bure and DUnham for the sole purpose of getting us into the POs, but which haven't lifted us one iota and at the same point draining the system of multiple high draft picks, malhotra, Brendl, Johnsson,Novak, Fata, Kloucek, Ziidlicky, Samulleson and more.....Yeah, a few of these guys didn't pan out, but at the time of their trading their value was much higher...

Bottom line, while only time will tell if Sather has done a good job drafting (absolutlely and in comparison to SMith), Sathers High risk/no reward-hear-me-roar deals derpived the Rangers of what should have been a much stronger system and future while not giving any benefits in the present...

Old
10-30-2003, 01:09 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by jar jar links
its a ton better than what was here before sather to here. but you can explain that to the scorned. thats what the anti-sathers sound like.
Right. The "Anti-Sathers" have a camp now, do they? Man, Jar Jar, no wonder nearly all the other Rangers fans here can't stand you.

Yes, Sather ejected the Dixon Wards and John Tripps from Hartford, but he also made the big squad the oldest team in the NHL. And it shows. He then had a chance to try out some of the youth in Hartford when Lindros went down and decided to sign another old and out-of-shape guy to fill in the hole. And, big surprise, he got injured his second game. Slats finally called up Chad Wiseman, but he'll probably be scratched in favor of the uber-talented Mike Siklenka.

Sather should be given some credit for building the prospect base back up but he should also be blasted for not giving some of that youth at least a chance to make an impact with the Rangers.

Old
10-30-2003, 01:57 PM
barnaby63

i agree that it will take time to tell about sathers prospects but to say lampman, who almost forced himself on the team the last 2 years, isnt a sure-fire nhler, or moore isnt a sure-fire nhler is turning a blind eye towards the truth and reverting to bias.

maybe sather is drafting this hard-working with skill fowards and defenseman knowing that dolans money can always get the first line players.

i think he is building a solid core of 2nd-3rd-4th liners and 2nd-3rd pair defenseman for the future.

hardly up there with the floridas and ottawas of the nhl but then again, they dont have the cash to get top line players so thats why they draft high risk/high reward so many times.

Old
10-30-2003, 07:26 PM
RANGERDIEHARD

Quote:

I'm going to agree with the Sather family; our prospect pool is considerably deeper than it was with Smith. And as for Sather trading away all of our great talent, I ask this - what great talent?! Besides Cloutier I can't think of any, and I don't consider Savard, York and Johnsonn "great" talent. It's not like Sather traded away Luong, Bertuzzi, Chara, and Jokinen. The guy has done a pretty good job and time will tell just how good that is. Everyone is in love with Wiseman when it's Sather who traded for him in exchange for Ekman. Now if you ask me has Sather accomplished the objectives set forth by the organization my answer of course would be NO.

Old
10-31-2003, 02:00 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
We have two HUGE question mark guys in Roche and in Prucha. They can either be 1st/2nd liners or nothing (IMO at least). I love Roche (we all know about Prucha... BTW -- that article should be out next week.. I've just had midterms and its killing me) and consider him to be a diamond in the rough if he can translate his game to college (ala Jake Taylor).

Old
10-31-2003, 03:35 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGERDIEHARD
I'm going to agree with the Sather family; our prospect pool is considerably deeper than it was with Smith. And as for Sather trading away all of our great talent, I ask this - what great talent?! Besides Cloutier I can't think of any, and I don't consider Savard, York and Johnsonn "great" talent. It's not like Sather traded away Luong, Bertuzzi, Chara, and Jokinen. The guy has done a pretty good job and time will tell just how good that is. Everyone is in love with Wiseman when it's Sather who traded for him in exchange for Ekman. Now if you ask me has Sather accomplished the objectives set forth by the organization my answer of course would be NO.
Sather did not trade Cloutier and Savard. Smith did. Cloutier went in the deal with Tampa that got Rangers the #4 pick in the '98 draft (Pavel Brendl) and Savard went to Calgary w/ the Rangers pick to move up to #9 in the '98 draft (Jamie Lundmark).

Old
10-31-2003, 10:51 AM
RANGERDIEHARD

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Sather did not trade Cloutier and Savard. Smith did. Cloutier went in the deal with Tampa that got Rangers the #4 pick in the '98 draft (Pavel Brendl) and Savard went to Calgary w/ the Rangers pick to move up to #9 in the '98 draft (Jamie Lundmark).
Ah, I stand corrected. Thank you.

Closed Thread