HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Tomorrow's Lineup

Closed Thread

Old
10-29-2003, 06:28 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Tomorrow's Lineup

Anyone know who's in and who's out for tomorrow's game?

10-29-2003, 06:42 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers89
Anyone know who's in and who's out for tomorrow's game?
Stoll is sitting because he's been sick, and Isbister is coming back in. Another post, which I can't find right now, had Pisani centering the fourth line, which makes me think that he's out when Stoll is feeling better. No word on any defensive changes yet.

Old
10-29-2003, 06:47 PM
Cerebral

Everyone has also been claiming that Isbister is going to jump onto the first line with Smyth and Hemsky.. I hope this is true, he'll have a massive game with Hemsky!

Old
10-29-2003, 07:04 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Everyone has also been claiming that Isbister is going to jump onto the first line with Smyth and Hemsky.. I hope this is true, he'll have a massive game with Hemsky!
My thoughts EXACTLY!

I'm SOOOO glad that Pisani apears to be PB bound. I mean I have NOTHING against Pisani - I wish every Oiler had his work ethic (but i guess if we could hand them out I'd have every oiler work like Moreau), but there is no hiding the fact that he is atmost a fourth liner who you can put out to give your other lines a rest, not use as a valuable checker playing valuable minutes.

Old
10-29-2003, 07:15 PM
AVE MAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
My thoughts EXACTLY!

I'm SOOOO glad that Pisani apears to be PB bound. I mean I have NOTHING against Pisani - I wish every Oiler had his work ethic (but i guess if we could hand them out I'd have every oiler work like Moreau), but there is no hiding the fact that he is atmost a fourth liner who you can put out to give your other lines a rest, not use as a valuable checker playing valuable minutes.

Pisani is probably the smartest hockey player the Oilers have. He is a defensive Gem, who can put the puck away when he gets a chance. To sit him over staal would be a mistake.
Watch how many times Pisani goes in to a corner or works along the boards without the puck, then comes out with the puck. He doesn't lose many of those battles. The oilers need him in the lineup. He's not the flashiest guy granted, but the last thing the oilers need is to sit a hard working, smart defensive hockey player who does nothing but wins battles. Plus he's great on that second unit PK.

Old
10-29-2003, 07:24 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVE MAN
Pisani is probably the smartest hockey player the Oilers have. He is a defensive Gem, who can put the puck away when he gets a chance. To sit him over staal would be a mistake.
Watch how many times Pisani goes in to a corner or works along the boards without the puck, then comes out with the puck. He doesn't lose many of those battles. The oilers need him in the lineup. He's not the flashiest guy granted, but the last thing the oilers need is to sit a hard working, smart defensive hockey player who does nothing but wins battles. Plus he's great on that second unit PK.
Do you watch a lot of Oiler games? You give him to much credit. I will give him his due in that he doesn't give up much - but never does he produce anything! Ever! No he isn't weak on the boards, he holds his own, but he doesn't create anything, or dominate on the boards. The team would be MUCH better suited to have a player that can create stuff on the ice IMHO.

Old
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
Pisani does work hard but he doesn't have the same offensive upside of a Stoll nor is he willing to hit like stoll is. Pisani will go flying into the corner or into what should be a big hit and then he just pulls up and stops.

He's a great PB guy...so is Isbister..oh wait, not at his salary.

Old
FacelessButcher

Quote:
If we could have "Staal" in the line-up every game I would put him in the player box for life and throw away the key. If you were talking about Stoll I think its time he got his shot Pisani may have a good work ethic but he does not have a comparable skill set and have not found him to be winning as many battles or keeping the play alive half as well as he did late last year its time for him to take his turn rotating out. I know this sounds wierd but if MacT plans on sitting Bergie out much more I would like him to get a shot at 3rd line rw hes got some offensive flair smart passes good work ethic I think he could be one of those multi purpose guys like Dandenault or E.Messier and that would significantly increase his value to the team.

Old
10-29-2003, 07:29 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher
If we could have "Staal" in the line-up every game I would put him in the player box for life and throw away the key. If you were talking about Stoll I think its time he got his shot Pisani may have a good work ethic but he does not have a comparable skill set and have not found him to be winning as many battles or keeping the play alive half as well as he did late last year its time for him to take his turn rotating out. I know this sounds wierd but if MacT plans on sitting Bergie out much more I would like him to get a shot at 3rd line rw hes got some offensive flair smart passes good work ethic I think he could be one of those multi purpose guys like Dandenault or E.Messier and that would significantly increase his value to the team.
Bergeron, i don't think, would be much of a forchecker. Also, to ask such a young kid to start to try and learn another position while he is just begining to learn his position would be fairly detrimental IMO.

Old
10-29-2003, 07:30 PM
barto

I have to agree - Pisani hasn't shown the same kind of drive & knack for being in the right spot for an offensive chance that he showed most of the games he was in last year. You gotta wonder if the guaranteed one-way deal got him into a 'comfort zone' or something, but he's not the same guy so far. He's more of a Pittis type right now - won't hurt you defensively (or maybe more than that) but isn't a real offensive threat like he was last year either.

He might need a wake-up call, so sitting out a game might be just the thing. Let's see what it did to Isbister!!

Bart

Old
10-29-2003, 07:35 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by barto
I have to agree - Pisani hasn't shown the same kind of drive & knack for being in the right spot for an offensive chance that he showed most of the games he was in last year. You gotta wonder if the guaranteed one-way deal got him into a 'comfort zone' or something, but he's not the same guy so far. He's more of a Pittis type right now - won't hurt you defensively (or maybe more than that) but isn't a real offensive threat like he was last year either.

He might need a wake-up call, so sitting out a game might be just the thing. Let's see what it did to Isbister!!

Bart
YES! NAIL ON THE HEAD!! Pittis - THATS is the oiler that he reminds me off!!!!!!!! Indeed - A Dom Pittis!

Old
10-29-2003, 07:39 PM
Allan

Quote:
Bergeron, i don't think, would be much of a forchecker. Also, to ask such a young kid to start to try and learn another position while he is just begining to learn his position would be fairly detrimental IMO.
The Canucks did that to Staios - he played fourth line RW for most of a season there a few years ago. I seem to remember him saying last year that he thought the change of positions was part of the reason for his being a "late bloomer".

Old
10-29-2003, 07:42 PM
AVE MAN

Quote:
Do you watch a lot of Oiler games? You give him to much credit. I will give him his due in that he doesn't give up much - but never does he produce anything! Ever! No he isn't weak on the boards, he holds his own, but he doesn't create anything, or dominate on the boards. The team would be MUCH better suited to have a player that can create stuff on the ice IMHO.

Doesn't produce anything, he scored something like 13 goals in 36 games last year. Thats almost on pace to score 30 in a full season. He was also the only Oiler to get a hat trick last year, not to mentioned two, 2 goal games vs. Gigguere. Now don't get me wrong I'm by no way say Pisani is Brett Hull but his job is to keep the other teams top line from scoring which he does very well. Given the opportunity to score he has pretty soft hands. His problem is he's not flashy, yeah he doesn't go after the big hit, but he compensates that by winning battles. Don't take my word on it. Watch the Columbus game and count how many times he goes in to the corner without the puck andcomes out with the puck. He also knows where to be on the ice at all times. The average hockey observer would probably not even notice this. Kevin Lowe however has noticed, hence the 3 year contract in the off season. Why would the oilers sit a guy who's doing exactly what they paid him to do? You would know this of course because you watch a lot of oiler games.

Old
10-29-2003, 07:47 PM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

Quote:
Didn't Isbister start out with Smyth/Hemsky this season and he didn't do a thing? Lets hope he wakes up. He sure hasn't looked like a 20goal scorer thus far.

Old
10-29-2003, 07:49 PM
Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FacelessButcher

Thats actually not a bad idea exept it leaves us even thinner on the blue line.

Pisani plys his trade well. Well enough that the Oilers have no choice but keep him around. He's a bigger Pittis that serves the same purpose. Plus he's the last Oiler to score a hat trick. I think he serves more of a purpose than Isbister right now. Izzy needs to get it going in a big way.

Stoll hasn't has the opportunity to make an impact because of the Oilers undisiplined play lately. Special teams aren't his gig at the moment. He's a good Pk'er though.

If Izzy could keep up with Hemsky's plays then we would have ourselves a dangerous combo with Smyth in the middle. If...

I hope that Laraque has enough dignity to sit out if he is going to hurt the team with his injury.

Now whats Shelley going to do? Pretend to play hockey?

Old
10-29-2003, 08:06 PM
TheBrew

vCash: 540
I sure hope Dvorak and York play together some the second line can generate some goals because its hard to produce when your York and Dvorak playing with pluggers all the time

Old
10-29-2003, 08:13 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kAsT
Didn't Isbister start out with Smyth/Hemsky this season and he didn't do a thing? Lets hope he wakes up. He sure hasn't looked like a 20goal scorer thus far.
He started out the year with a football helmet on due to his mouth injury.. in my opinion, he never really got a decent chance to prove himself on the top line. I think he has looked good in spurts this season and I still honestly do believe he can pot 20 goals! Keep in mind that he and Laraque have been drawing a number of penalties the past few games and have provided the Oilers with a number of PP's.. I stick by my earlier prediction, he's going to score 2 goals tommorrow night if he gets a little time on the PP!

Old
10-29-2003, 08:14 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Doesn't produce anything, he scored something like 13 goals in 36 games last year. Thats almost on pace to score 30 in a full season. He was also the only Oiler to get a hat trick last year, not to mentioned two, 2 goal games vs. Gigguere. Now don't get me wrong I'm by no way say Pisani is Brett Hull but his job is to keep the other teams top line from scoring which he does very well. Given the opportunity to score he has pretty soft hands. His problem is he's not flashy, yeah he doesn't go after the big hit, but he compensates that by winning battles. Don't take my word on it. Watch the Columbus game and count how many times he goes in to the corner without the puck andcomes out with the puck. He also knows where to be on the ice at all times. The average hockey observer would probably not even notice this. Kevin Lowe however has noticed, hence the 3 year contract in the off season. Why would the oilers sit a guy who's doing exactly what they paid him to do? You would know this of course because you watch a lot of oiler games.
Don't miss a game buddy. Never did say if you watch many games though. Pisani only had eight goals which is on pace for 18. He got those goals thanks to amazing play by Moreau and Reasoner. Don't get me wrong. Pisani would be a capable fourth liner if we didn't have a certain Laraque already entrenched there, but a third liner he ain't my friend. Also, last year he played above himself. It will happen with older kids who get the call and are playing with so much adrenaline that they are much more effective then what you will actually get out of them. Fernando was your classic over-achiever last year. He hasn't done anything to warrent sitting a guy like Stoll who brings all the defensive awareness that Pisani does, but also adds better skating, hands, and is more physical.

Old
10-29-2003, 08:17 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
He started out the year with a football helmet on due to his mouth injury.. in my opinion, he never really got a decent chance to prove himself on the top line. I think he has looked good in spurts this season and I still honestly do believe he can pot 20 goals! Keep in mind that he and Laraque have been drawing a number of penalties the past few games and have provided the Oilers with a number of PP's.. I stick by my earlier prediction, he's going to score 2 goals tommorrow night if he gets a little time on the PP!
He has been as good as most other Oilers, just hasn't gotten the numbers to show for it. Agreed about his "chance" at the start of the year - I mean how do you expect a guy to get comfertable and create chemistry and get things accomplished when you are bumped to the fourth line after two games!?!?!?!!??!?!!?!?!?!?!

Old
10-29-2003, 08:45 PM
JJTopper
Registered Creeper

Quote:
Ya, he didn't play much on the top line, but he didn't do anything to make himself stay on the line either. Even playing on the 4th line, he hasn't been consistantly physical or an offensive threat, which was part of the reason he was benched. Correct? If you're not scoring, you have to do something out there and he hasn't really been a factor in many games this season. I would love to see him break out, but he's sure started out slow. If he scores 2 tomorrow, it'll make my day (especially if Hemmer gets the assists! hehe). Also, here's hoping both Bergeron and Semenov are in the lineup! Keep using that rocket of a shot semmi!

Old
10-29-2003, 08:53 PM
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Any word if Cross will play. Cross apparently injured (reagravated) his shoulder in the fight with Iggy.

Old
10-30-2003, 05:50 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Don't miss a game buddy. Never did say if you watch many games though. Pisani only had eight goals which is on pace for 18. He got those goals thanks to amazing play by Moreau and Reasoner. Don't get me wrong. Pisani would be a capable fourth liner if we didn't have a certain Laraque already entrenched there, but a third liner he ain't my friend. Also, last year he played above himself. It will happen with older kids who get the call and are playing with so much adrenaline that they are much more effective then what you will actually get out of them. Fernando was your classic over-achiever last year. He hasn't done anything to warrent sitting a guy like Stoll who brings all the defensive awareness that Pisani does, but also adds better skating, hands, and is more physical.
18 would have put him in the top 5 oilers goal scorers. And guys, the RPM line is no worse offensively than the MGM line ever was, and in my opinion is relatively close to being as effective.

Pisani is exactly what you want on the third line... a smart player, who is always in position, tough to beat one on one, and hussles all the time. And to say all of Pisani's goals were set up because of the hard work of Reasoner and Moreau... come on. Someone has to put the puck into the net, which is the hardest part of every goal.

Old
10-30-2003, 05:58 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
18 would have put him in the top 5 oilers goal scorers. And guys, the RPM line is no worse offensively than the MGM line ever was, and in my opinion is relatively close to being as effective.

Pisani is exactly what you want on the third line... a smart player, who is always in position, tough to beat one on one, and hussles all the time. And to say all of Pisani's goals were set up because of the hard work of Reasoner and Moreau... come on. Someone has to put the puck into the net, which is the hardest part of every goal.
Yes - I know what his assets are, and I'm agreeing that he works hard and all that stuff. But on a team with the kind of depth and kids that we have - he doesn't belong getting those kind of minutes. One Atlanta or Nashville? Sure. For the Oilers? No. His skill set isn't that of a fourth liner - and although if he played every game at his very best (like he did for the last part of last year) that won't continue for him up here. He was a classic over-achiever, and to expect him to score at the pace that he did last year is a dream. He has one goal, and that was an empty net gimmie in eight games with lots of playing time. He just flat out doesn't do enough - because he isn't overly good defensively. He just isn't bad. He is probably slightly above average.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:21 AM
ZIM

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsessed
I hope that Laraque has enough dignity to sit out if he is going to hurt the team with his injury.
Hopefully MacT is the one who decides if BG is playing. Ask Grady Little what happens - you're fired if you screw up.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:30 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Does anybody know yes or no if BG is going to be playing tonight or not? Is it a game time decision?

Closed Thread