HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Tomorrow's Lineup

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2003, 06:36 AM
dawgbone

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
Originally Posted by thome_26
Yes - I know what his assets are, and I'm agreeing that he works hard and all that stuff. But on a team with the kind of depth and kids that we have - he doesn't belong getting those kind of minutes. One Atlanta or Nashville? Sure. For the Oilers? No. His skill set isn't that of a fourth liner - and although if he played every game at his very best (like he did for the last part of last year) that won't continue for him up here. He was a classic over-achiever, and to expect him to score at the pace that he did last year is a dream. He has one goal, and that was an empty net gimmie in eight games with lots of playing time. He just flat out doesn't do enough - because he isn't overly good defensively. He just isn't bad. He is probably slightly above average.
Oh come on.

Pisani is easily one of our best defensive forwards. He virtually never misses his check, is very strong on the pk, doesn't get out-muscled in the oilers end, and gets the puck out of the zone. He is more that slightly above average defensively. And exactly what kind of minutes do you think he is getting?

Because according to this: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/teams/stats?team=edm he is getting just under 11 minutes of ice time per game, putting him 3rd last on the team.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:53 AM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
Oh come on.

Pisani is easily one of our best defensive forwards. He virtually never misses his check, is very strong on the pk, doesn't get out-muscled in the oilers end, and gets the puck out of the zone. He is more that slightly above average defensively. And exactly what kind of minutes do you think he is getting?

Because according to this: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/teams/stats?team=edm he is getting just under 11 minutes of ice time per game, putting him 3rd last on the team.
look man, I'm agreeing that he is a capable player defensively. But IMO not enough to be ANYTHING more then a fourth liner (which looking at playing minutes is what he actually is - thanks for pointing that out).

But I guess we can agree to disagree?

Old
10-30-2003, 08:15 AM
dawgbone

Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
Quote:
look man, I'm agreeing that he is a capable player defensively. But IMO not enough to be ANYTHING more then a fourth liner (which looking at playing minutes is what he actually is - thanks for pointing that out).

But I guess we can agree to disagree?
Agree to disagree on what?

You felt that Pisani doesn't do enough to warrant the ice time he gets, and I felt he certainly does.

There is this huge misnomer about lines... Pisani is used as a checker, and as a 3rd or 4th option on the penalty kill. If he was getting power play time, I could understand the grief he is getting this year, but the guy sees the ice for 10 minutes a night... hardly taking away valuable time for a more offensively inclined player.

Old
10-30-2003, 09:36 AM
momentai

I'd let Pisani stay in the lineup. At least he's doing what he's performing well enough defensively to be used as a checker. What really concerns me is that Pisani no longer is as effective on the boards in the offensive zone as he was last year.

He stays but I hope MacT can find what's wrong with Pisani in regards to him creating offense and controlling the boards with his linemates.

Old
10-30-2003, 09:45 AM
barto

I'd have to agree with both views so far this year - Pisani is doing "OK" this year defensively, but I'd also say he doesn't seem to be as effective so far this season as last, and not just the lack of goals. It's like some of that 'fire' he had last year is missing, so he looks more ordinary to me so far. It would be easy to suspect the one-way contract (and for 3 years at that) could affect his play (mentally), but I do hope he gets back to more of his form from last year. Reasoner and Moreau seem to be at about the same level as most of last year (Moreau having another strong start like he did last season) but Pisani doesn't seem to be there yet.

Bart

Old
10-30-2003, 10:04 AM
Mowzie
Asst. Dishwasher

Quote:
Does anybody know yes or no if BG is going to be playing tonight or not? Is it a game time decision?
sprained wrist, he will play with a soft cast, and will not be able to chuck knuckles for a while, so Jody Shelley will have to fight Fergy or Chimmer I guess.

From what Ive heard, Cross is sitting tonight and both Bergy and Semi will get the start.

Stoll will sit due to flu I think.

The flu bug has hit other guys too, but no names were mentioned, it looks like this will be our roster for CBJ.

Isbister-Smyth-Hemsky
Torres-York-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Chimera-Horcoff-Laraque

Brewer-Semenov
Staios-Smith
Bergeron-Ferguson

Salo

Old
10-30-2003, 11:43 AM
Master Lok

I've posted before, lay off on Pisani. I don't understand why this sudden hate and pressure on the 3rd line RW who only plays a measly 11 minutes per night. He's to blame for the Oilers losses? What about the lousy defensive job by the defense? Or the top two lines who can't score enough? Seems like classic case of scapegoating...

Old
10-30-2003, 11:46 AM
H-Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
sprained wrist, he will play with a soft cast, and will not be able to chuck knuckles for a while, so Jody Shelley will have to fight Fergy or Chimmer I guess.

From what Ive heard, Cross is sitting tonight and both Bergy and Semi will get the start.

Stoll will sit due to flu I think.

The flu bug has hit other guys too, but no names were mentioned, it looks like this will be our roster for CBJ.

Isbister-Smyth-Hemsky
Torres-York-Dvorak
Moreau-Reasoner-Pisani
Chimera-Horcoff-Laraque

Brewer-Semenov
Staios-Smith
Bergeron-Ferguson

Salo
If Laraque is injured, and Stoll sick, I would judge this to be an excellent chance to give Rita or Salmelainen (sp?) a chance.

Old
10-30-2003, 11:54 AM
Guy Flaming
HFB Partner

Send a message via MSN to Guy Flaming Send a message via Skype™ to Guy Flaming
Quote:
Originally Posted by comrie
If Laraque is injured, and Stoll sick, I would judge this to be an excellent chance to give Rita or Salmelainen (sp?) a chance.
My understanding is that Salmelainen was recalled but might not be here in time for the game. Maybe Georges dresses but doesn't really play much?

I've been out of town and out of touch since Monday so I know next to nothing right now.

Closed Thread