HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

Steen vs. Vermette

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
10-30-2003, 12:16 PM
  #26
FearTheFlyers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 7,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go pierre hedin
You said...

- Fast
- Nice scoring touch
- Good defensively

Steen is...

- Fast
- Physical
- Fearless
- Great playmaker
- Great stickhandler
- Great defensively
- Great leader

Very much like Shane Doan.

Shane Doan! Steen surpasses him by miles..Vermette..why are we even comparing them? Steen is obviously more talented in absolutely every offensive and defensive category. Try maybe
Ovechkin-Steen and MAYBE we have a rational argument..

Happy?

FearTheFlyers is offline  
Old
10-30-2003, 12:47 PM
  #27
think-blue-
Registered User
 
think-blue-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,159
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagnefan
Shane Doan! Steen surpasses him by miles..Vermette..why are we even comparing them? Steen is obviously more talented in absolutely every offensive and defensive category. Try maybe
Ovechkin-Steen and MAYBE we have a rational argument..

Happy?
Your insight is greatly appreciated. Thank you. It is clear that you surpass us all in hockey knowledge. I bow down before you, oh wise one.

think-blue- is offline  
Old
10-30-2003, 12:51 PM
  #28
Volchenkov
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,940
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagnefan
Shane Doan! Steen surpasses him by miles..Vermette..why are we even comparing them? Steen is obviously more talented in absolutely every offensive and defensive category. Try maybe
Ovechkin-Steen and MAYBE we have a rational argument..
Happy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBlue
Your insight is greatly appreciated. Thank you. It is clear that you surpass us all in hockey knowledge. I bow down before you, oh wise one.
This scintillating display of extraordinary debatorial prowess has me simultaneously flabbergasted, befuddled and amused.

Volchenkov is offline  
Old
10-30-2003, 01:01 PM
  #29
Murphy*
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: SilverCupVille
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 5,891
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov
This scintillating display of extraordinary debatorial prowess has me simultaneously flabbergasted, befuddled and amused.
Wow you too?

Murphy* is offline  
Old
10-30-2003, 01:02 PM
  #30
think-blue-
Registered User
 
think-blue-'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,159
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volchenkov
Fair enough.

Let's do some coparisons. I'll give my opinion on the comparison + a short explanation adn they you will give yours. Feel free to add some of your own categories.

Speed: Vermette - He beat Havlat and Hossa in training camp - 'nuff said.
Scoring: Vermette - He was 6th or 7th in the AHL in his rookie season in goals after having a year off.
Toughness: Steen - Vermette is a skill player and a little small - Steen wins easily here
Playmaking: Steen - Vermette hasn't shown the ability to set up goals as much as Steen has.
Defense: Vermette - He's playing on Ottawa's PK and is being used as a defensive specialist on Ottawa - he wouldn't be unles he is already NHL calibre in terms of defense.
Puck Handling: I have no clue.

Your turn.
Well, I haven't seen either player play, so Im in no position to make such a comparison. This is why I'm not giving my opinion either way - just looking for information.

As for your comparison, again, Im in no position to evaluate in great depth. However, the 'speed' issue. It may very well be true that Vermette is faster than Steen; perhaps you have seen them both play, or perhaps you are going by scouting reports - Im not too concerned about that. But your argument contending that Vermette is faster than Steen because Vermette was the fastest player in the Sens camp holds little merit. It gives me no reason to believe Vermette is faster than Steen.

I will agree with you on the 'defense' aspect thus far; as Vermette has been playing adequately at the NHL level already. But until Steen gets his opportunity, the final word is still up in the air.

And the rest - okay. I suppose that would be accurate based on the scouting reports.

I think Steen still will have a few Question marks surrounding how he will adapt to the NA game, much like all European prospects.

think-blue- is offline  
Old
10-30-2003, 01:33 PM
  #31
surixon
Registered User
 
surixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,076
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBlue
Well, I haven't seen either player play, so Im in no position to make such a comparison. This is why I'm not giving my opinion either way - just looking for information.

As for your comparison, again, Im in no position to evaluate in great depth. However, the 'speed' issue. It may very well be true that Vermette is faster than Steen; perhaps you have seen them both play, or perhaps you are going by scouting reports - Im not too concerned about that. But your argument contending that Vermette is faster than Steen because Vermette was the fastest player in the Sens camp holds little merit. It gives me no reason to believe Vermette is faster than Steen.

I will agree with you on the 'defense' aspect thus far; as Vermette has been playing adequately at the NHL level already. But until Steen gets his opportunity, the final word is still up in the air.

And the rest - okay. I suppose that would be accurate based on the scouting reports.

I think Steen still will have a few Question marks surrounding how he will adapt to the NA game, much like all European prospects.
I think it holds a lot of merit sence Hossa is arguably one of the fastest players in the NHL. Steen has some good speed but it's not even close to Vermette's. What I didn't like about Steen in the WJ is that I thought he lacked intensity, didn't play very physical and seemed to float at times. 6pts in 6 games isn't that impressive when you look at the overall tournament scoring leaders and the fact that he played top line minutes and had plenty of pp time.

surixon is online now  
Old
10-30-2003, 01:48 PM
  #32
Hossa
Registered User
 
Hossa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Abroad
Posts: 9,221
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by surixon
I think it holds a lot of merit sence Hossa is arguably one of the fastest players in the NHL. Steen has some good speed but it's not even close to Vermette's. What I didn't like about Steen in the WJ is that I thought he lacked intensity, didn't play very physical and seemed to float at times. 6pts in 6 games isn't that impressive when you look at the overall tournament scoring leaders and the fact that he played top line minutes and had plenty of pp time.
To give you an idea, Vermette put up numbers that bettered the numbers shown by guys like Hossa, Havlat and Shawn MacEchearn. He put up the fastest times ever seen in an Ottawa training camp.

Now whether or not you put much value in that stat isn't really important. Vermette is amazingly fast. He and Simon Gagne were friends as kids, and I remember reading somewhere that Gagne thought Vermette was faster than him.

I haven't seen that much of Steen (just WJC), and certainly not live. I have seen Vermette live though, and I know him quite well.

Hossa is offline  
Old
10-30-2003, 06:17 PM
  #33
Vlad The Impaler
Registered User
 
Vlad The Impaler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal
Posts: 11,726
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBlue
As for your comparison, again, Im in no position to evaluate in great depth. However, the 'speed' issue. It may very well be true that Vermette is faster than Steen; perhaps you have seen them both play, or perhaps you are going by scouting reports - Im not too concerned about that. But your argument contending that Vermette is faster than Steen because Vermette was the fastest player in the Sens camp holds little merit. It gives me no reason to believe Vermette is faster than Steen.
I haven't seen the players enough to do an in-depth comparison. I'd take Vermette based on his play and be very comfortable. Steen could end up the better player of the two.

But as far as speed is concerned... Antoine gets the edge easily from what I have seen of both players in actual game action. Vermette is flying, not skating.

Vlad The Impaler is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 10:16 AM
  #34
Joey24
Registered User
 
Joey24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 5,431
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Ok I have one question for those of you saying Vermette is better then Steen. What I would like to know is how many of you have actually seen steen play? I don't mean read an article about him or heard a friend or someone talk about how he plays but actually saw him play. excluding maybe 4- 5 shifts we may have seen on TV from the World jr championships.. Now to be honest I have no view on this subject because I never even seen Vermette play so I have no opinion on this issue. I am just interested to see how many people have actually seen Steen play and how many are just making biost posts.

Joey24 is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 10:21 AM
  #35
Jeffrey
Registered User
 
Jeffrey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,541
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Jeffrey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24
Ok I have one question for those of you saying Vermette is better then Steen. What I would like to know is how many of you have actually seen steen play? I don't mean read an article about him or heard a friend or someone talk about how he plays but actually saw him play. excluding maybe 4- 5 shifts we may have seen on TV from the World jr championships.. Now to be honest I have no view on this subject because I never even seen Vermette play so I have no opinion on this issue. I am just interested to see how many people have actually seen Steen play and how many are just making biost posts.
reversed question!
any leafs fan have seen him frequently ?

Jeffrey is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 11:50 AM
  #36
Joey24
Registered User
 
Joey24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New Zealand
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 5,431
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryoptix
reversed question!
any leafs fan have seen him frequently ?
I was not singling out anyone specific I was also meaning leaf posters...

Joey24 is offline  
Old
10-31-2003, 07:57 PM
  #37
Vincent_TheGreat
Registered User
 
Vincent_TheGreat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,128
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Vincent_TheGreat
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAndWhite
Your opinion is that Vermette is better, that's fine. It is YOUR opinion after all.

Steen better work on his scoring ?

He is tied for 6th overall in scoring in the SEL. All the players ahead of him are significantly older (i.e. the likes of Jorgen Jonsson. He is first in GWG and 5th in assists.

You also are confused on his defensive play and his ability to mix it up physically.
Yeah Vermette is better in many skill area's but has played very little, I would rather compare these 2 after they have each had 3 full seasons.

Vincent_TheGreat is offline  
Old
11-02-2003, 10:31 AM
  #38
HOCKEY_GURU
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 644
vCash: 500
My 2 cents worth:

seems to me that players become good not because of one aspect or another..like speed...shooting...intensity etc...but on the sum of the parts...some players can park themselves in front of the net and with good hands deflect pucks or score on the rebounds,... they dont need speed...others that have speed dont know how to use it (im sure we can all think of examples)....so lets not base whos better by stating any particular skills but the sum of the parts ( in essence how do they get their points...or what value do they add to their team), now not having seen much of the two...id have to go based on reports from reliable sources...and as many sources..not just one or 2 ( and ive done very very well drafting this way)...so in saying this and considering vermettes rookie points in the AHL and steen's points thus far in the SEL (hes tied for second with 17 points in 16 games which is very rare for players his age) I would give the nod to Steen ....and i do like vermette a lot and i dont like the leafs much ....just call it a hunch.

HOCKEY_GURU is offline  
Old
11-05-2003, 05:54 AM
  #39
Kollberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 47
vCash: 500
Steen has improved a lot this year he is ranked 4th in the eliteleague with 17 p (7g+10a) in 16 games and he is the most interesting player in the eliteleague right now.

He get alot of icetime (close to 20 min a game) and has really impressed everyone in the league. For example the coach for the nationalteam Hardy Nilsson said that Steen is the best young player in the league but also said that he won't play for the national team this year, 15 games into the season Steen is named as one of the centers in the upcoming Karjala cup for nationalteams.

I'm no Vermette expert but Steen is the most exciting player in Sweden for many years

Kollberg is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.