HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

BJ's @ Oilers -- Oct 30th

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2003, 09:25 AM
dawgbone

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to dawgbone Send a message via MSN to dawgbone
I had nothing wrong with Marchant leaving the Oilers for the greener pastures of that hockey mecca Columbus...

I have never had a problem with a player trying to make the most amount of money that he can.

My issue is his comments last year at the deadline... he knew he was gone anyways, why even bother making a comment?

Old
10-30-2003, 09:35 AM
Spearing47

Send a message via MSN to Spearing47
D-pairs

Brewer-Semenov
Staios-Smith
Bergeron-Ferguson

Cross is injured.

Finally we'll see Semmy and Bergy in the same lineup.

Old
10-30-2003, 09:58 AM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
I had nothing wrong with Marchant leaving the Oilers for the greener pastures of that hockey mecca Columbus...

I have never had a problem with a player trying to make the most amount of money that he can.

My issue is his comments last year at the deadline... he knew he was gone anyways, why even bother making a comment?
It was his job to speak up being the Nhlpa team representative! Give the guy a break we got years of underpaid service as Toddy toiled on the PK and 3rd line, checking tirelessly and he gets paid U$1.54 million and is a co-MVP with Tommy??? who got U$3.5 million. Hey when your top dog you get the yap a little.

Remember Comrie's comments, just as he was becoming a MINUS 29.

Old
10-30-2003, 10:10 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEGOON63
Finally we'll see Semmy and Bergy in the same lineup.

Words cannot describe...

Old
10-30-2003, 11:03 AM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by OYLer
It was his job to speak up being the Nhlpa team representative! Give the guy a break we got years of underpaid service as Toddy toiled on the PK and 3rd line, checking tirelessly and he gets paid U$1.54 million and is a co-MVP with Tommy??? who got U$3.5 million. Hey when your top dog you get the yap a little.

Remember Comrie's comments, just as he was becoming a MINUS 29.
How does his job as nhlpa rep for the Oilers have anything to do with his comments in the media about the trades Lowe made?

The Oilers never got years of underpaid service... Todd got as much money as he could muster out of the Oilers... but that isn't really the point.

His comments basically told the world that he was giving up, and boy did his playoffs ever prove that!

and btw, when was Comrie -29?

Old
10-30-2003, 11:44 AM
barto

I don't see the NHLPA link either, but I'd still like to see a good ovation when his name is first announced, then BOO HIM LUSTILY every time after that!

Let's face it, the last year (or even just the last few weeks) of his tenure here shouldn't put that much of a damper on his long-term association with the Oilers. He was a very very good hockey player for the team his whole time here (OK, a few exceptions, but over 9 years?) and defined the Oilers for many years with the OT winner against Dallas. So in this case I would (at first) look past the 'sour taste' thing towards the end of last year and give him a good round of applause & cheering. Then when the play starts, he gets booed like any other opposing player. Or is that 'moreso'? I guess former Oilers get booed more than most other opposing players...

Bart

Old
10-30-2003, 12:08 PM
Jim_Harnock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowzie
Someone remind me why we are booing this guy?
Same reason we always boo the opposition...

He's wearing the wrong clothes!

Old
10-30-2003, 12:41 PM
Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Harnock
Same reason we always boo the opposition...

He's wearing the wrong clothes!

I think it would be rude of us not to boo him. I'm row 3 so if theres anything you'd like Todd to hear post it now.

Keep in mind I'm with my 5 year old though.

Old
10-30-2003, 01:00 PM
OYLer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawgbone
btw, when was Comrie -29?
2002-2003 - Regular Season - EDMONTON - Summary

OK I stand corrected but not humbled. I think if you check two or three games before the end of last season Comrie hit -21. Mikey finished the minus derby 1st overall with a Whooping -18 a full -7 ahead of guess who ??? Eric Brewer at -11 who was a suspect #2. So I lied a little, got your attention. I'd better stop posting comments like this about our recalcitrant center holdout because the more we banter negatively, and the longer it takes to trade Miffed Mikey, the lower sinks Comrie's tradeable stock value.

My point was Mikey's got some growing up to do and some hockey to be played on the ice before he can be mentioned as being in the same category as T-bone. Hey isn't Todd making good money after signing a nice but not greedy long term contract with CBJ and I think he is leading his team with 7 points. Starting 2nd line center too boot. Boy "getting rid" (as Thome_26 so foolishly put it) of T-bone was one master stroke by the Oilers organization. Instead of paying Todd, the Oilers Braintrust payed the now holdout crybaby too much and as the result we lost a excellent player. I might want the Oilers to win but I'm still cheering for Hot Toddy ... well ... not for tonight and another 3 times in this 2003/4 regular season year. Hey let's all hope we and not CBJ are making the playoffs - see how even my expectation have become diminished!

Old
10-30-2003, 01:14 PM
creative giant*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mizral
As a fan who's seen the Jackets play my Canucks twice so far this season...

Watchout.

The Jackets have an interesting set up of players, and their real key weakness I found was their defenseman for the most part are not terrific defensivly. However, Marc Denis can be an absolute WALL some nights.

The real amazing thing to watch though is the Jackets forwards. In paticular, Rick Nash & David Vyborny.

If you haven't seen Nash play yet... WHOA! He looks like a young Shanny out there. He plays like he's about 24 - 25, not 19 - 20. He is just an incredible player. Maybe a future Ryan Smyth, but perhaps even more scoring potential!

Vyborny has a knack for just buring his chances all the time.

The team has lost a dimension without Whitney, but they've gained one with Sydor. Watch out for Sydor, jumps into the attack often and is a hell of a passer.

Overall, this should be a tough, tough game. I regard these two teams pretty well equal at the moment. If Freddy Brathwaite plays though, chalk this up immediatly in the win category. That man is an awful, awful goaltender.
Since we're actually playing in the game, we'lll be sure to keep that in mind

Old
10-30-2003, 02:00 PM
serum114

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative giant
Since we're actually playing in the game, we'lll be sure to keep that in mind
Come now, no need for sarcasm. Mizral was just letting us know what to expect. It's always nice to have scouting reports.

Thanks for the input Mizral.

Old
10-30-2003, 02:20 PM
thome_26
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via ICQ to thome_26
I don't think the BJ's will be a long term threat this year. Their blueline won't allow it - unless Kelsla's development accelerates by about 50%.

Old
10-30-2003, 02:36 PM
Hemmer

I kind of hope they have a video presentation for Todd, like they had for Dougie. I don't really care what he said - it was his opinion, and he wears the wrong colors now so he can get paid back on the ice. The most important thing is that he was a little soldier for us, blocking shots with abandon on the PK, throwing his body around, scoring timely goals and missing on breakaways for what? 8 years? He gave it his all most nights, won us a playoff series, and was the only Oiler who could skate with Modano through all those matchups vs. the stars.

I wouldn't boo him. What he did for the organization far outweighs what he didn't. I like Todd as a player. He seems like a genuine family guy, although he is a genuine union guy too. Regardless - he was accountable, and a class act for this organization right up until the very end, where he took the business side of the game personally. Not the first player to do it either.

Just my thoughts - I won't be there, but if I was, I would remind people of a few words I heard several years ago...

"Here is Marchant.........SCORES!!!........Marchant...Score s....The Oilers are going to move on..." - Bob Cole

Old
10-30-2003, 02:43 PM
LoudmouthHemskyfan#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer

"Here is Marchant.........SCORES!!!........Marchant...Score s....The Oilers are going to move on..." - Bob Cole
And then, what he didn't say

"seemingly Marchant's first ever goal on a breakaway! He no longer holds the record for consecutive breakaways without a goal! I can't believe he didn't shoot it at the goalie! WOW!!! That's gonna be his career right there..."

Old
10-30-2003, 02:51 PM
Hemmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudmouthHemskyfan#1
And then, what he didn't say

"seemingly Marchant's first ever goal on a breakaway! He no longer holds the record for consecutive breakaways without a goal! I can't believe he didn't shoot it at the goalie! WOW!!! That's gonna be his career right there..."
lol.

How...I mean HOW, did Toddy pick the corner like that? He hasn't done it since...

Old
10-30-2003, 02:58 PM
Ryno
BEHOLD!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmer
lol.

How...I mean HOW, did Toddy pick the corner like that? He hasn't done it since...
Heaven knows he's tried, but that top corner can be a pesky little thing to hit when the goalie's emblem is standing in your way :p

Old
10-30-2003, 05:49 PM
Cerebral

Man oh man.. we should be up 4-1 by now! Reasoner and Dvorak with posts, Smith had an easy chip in he missed.. :mad: We'd better come out hard next period.. I don't want this to turn into another one of those games where we come out really hard then fade away (a la the St. Louis game). Dvorak is really flying out there!!

Old
10-30-2003, 05:57 PM
Allan

I think that they only faded away in the St. Louis game because they thought they had already won the game. Hopefully this is a good situation for them to be in, and they can keep working and get some results, and maybe even keep playing when they have a lead for once.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:28 PM
Lowetide

I don't know why so many questioned me about Bergeron's greatness.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:28 PM
Allan

Good directing from the Sportsnet guys. :p

Beauty by Bergie though. Well timed, beauty of a shot, and Isbister gets a point. Good game for him.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:29 PM
OYLer

Maybe Izzy should play center?

Old
10-30-2003, 06:34 PM
G-Double

Send a message via AIM to G-Double
Rod said he thought it was Smyth at C, he could be wrong though.

Anyway, how has Salmo looked out there? supposedly some line-juggling has gone on already?

Old
10-30-2003, 06:37 PM
Allan

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Double
Rod said he thought it was Smyth at C, he could be wrong though.

Anyway, how has Salmo looked out there? supposedly some line-juggling has gone on already?
No, it was Isbister on the faceoff, probably because he is a right shot.

Salmelainen has looked great in the little I've seen of him. He looks faster than Marchant, if you can believe it, and between his speed and Torres' ***** disturbing, they created a few chances. He also has a pretty decent shot.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:37 PM
Cerebral

Ugh!!!! We should have at least 5 goals by now!! I don't understand why MacT doesn't put Isbister out there more often.. he's created something pretty much every time he's been on the ice and has looked really good! Get him out there on the PP in front of the net.. we need someone big out front to knock in all the rebounds Denis has been giving out! :mad:

Old
10-30-2003, 06:39 PM
dawgbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral
Ugh!!!! We should have at least 5 goals by now!! I don't understand why MacT doesn't put Isbister out there more often.. he's created something pretty much every time he's been on the ice and has looked really good! Get him out there on the PP in front of the net.. we need someone big out front to knock in all the rebounds Denis has been giving out! :mad:
Can someone please explain to me why the Oilers continually try and shovel the puck into the net on rebounds... you have to put them high, or else you just pad the goaltenders stats.

Closed Thread