HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

Barons laid to rest in front of 7,961 fans

Old
04-09-2006, 05:59 AM
Dougmustgo*

vCash: 500
Barons laid to rest in front of 7,961 fans

Truly, a sad day in the AHL and Cleveland hockey, all home games complete. Great crowd last night with an awesome atmosphere. Unfortunately, another loss and 5 years of shame to the rich tradition and name Barons.

149 Wins 199 Losses 28 Ties 21 OTL. Thanks for the lousy memories San Jose.

Gratefully, now its the beginning of a new era with great marketing and a WINNING product, the Dan Gilbert era.

Cleveland AHL Hockey to be continued in 2007-08

http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plai...370.xml&coll=2

http://ahl.leaguestat.com/stats/sche...ype=attendance

Dougmustgo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2006, 06:19 AM
pelts35.com

Perhaps if the Cleveland hockey fans supported the Barons with nearly 8,000 fans every Saturday night and not just their last home game they wouldn't be ceasing operations?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2006, 07:25 AM
Dougmustgo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com
Perhaps if the Cleveland hockey fans supported the Barons with nearly 8,000 fans every Saturday night and not just their last home game they wouldn't be ceasing operations?

Its called marketing!!!! They never even came close to it for 5 years. Things will no doubt change under new ownership when Dan Gilbert takes over. San Jose just ran the first ever non-successful minor league hockey team in Cleveland. All others have drawn very well.

Don't put this one on the fans!!!

Old
04-09-2006, 10:48 AM
ALF AmericanLionsFan

Quote:
Yes, like he said you barely even knew the club was here. No promoting of the club or commitment from the it. Plus playing like garbage for five years won't help either. The fans were not the problem.

ALF AmericanLionsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2006, 08:28 PM
Firefighter Havok

Send a message via AIM to Firefighter Havok Send a message via MSN to Firefighter Havok
Definately an affiliation issue. Had they been aligned with say Columbus or someone else in the region, the barrons would be in operation for many seasons to come. It's a matter of marketing, affiliation, coaching, and what sort of prospects come through.

I'll put this into terms with Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh's system has Wilke-Barre/Scranton on the other side of the state, and wheeling, which is about an hour drive from Pittsburgh. Most pittsburgh fans follow both affiliations, and it also helps that the talent pool is deep, and they make sure they market the minor league teams as affiliates of the Penguins, and like Wheeling does, take advantage of pittsburgh. They had black and gold night a few weeks back and brought down a couple of steelers and the Nailers wore Black and gold alternates resembling the steelers jerseys.

Your definately right, it was never about the fans. It's about affiliation, coaching, and the players.

Firefighter Havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2006, 08:57 PM
Serena587

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf-Superbeast
Definately an affiliation issue. Had they been aligned with say Columbus or someone else in the region, the barrons would be in operation for many seasons to come. It's a matter of marketing, affiliation, coaching, and what sort of prospects come through.

I'll put this into terms with Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh's system has Wilke-Barre/Scranton on the other side of the state, and wheeling, which is about an hour drive from Pittsburgh. Most pittsburgh fans follow both affiliations, and it also helps that the talent pool is deep, and they make sure they market the minor league teams as affiliates of the Penguins, and like Wheeling does, take advantage of pittsburgh. They had black and gold night a few weeks back and brought down a couple of steelers and the Nailers wore Black and gold alternates resembling the steelers jerseys.

Your definately right, it was never about the fans. It's about affiliation, coaching, and the players.
Wow, excellent post! How do you know so much about it when you're not living in Cleveland? You really hit it on the head!

Serena587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2006, 11:11 PM
Firefighter Havok

Send a message via AIM to Firefighter Havok Send a message via MSN to Firefighter Havok
Thank you for the compliment. I just look at things in a different prospective...

Firefighter Havok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 10:12 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougmustgo
Gratefully, now its the beginning of a new era with great marketing and a WINNING product, the Dan Gilbert era.
Just out of curiosity, why are you so confident that the new ownership group is going to put a winning product on the ice, especially when it is the parent clubs that supply the players?

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 02:04 PM
Serena587

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, why are you so confident that the new ownership group is going to put a winning product on the ice, especially when it is the parent clubs that supply the players?
Because that's the difference between a locally-owned club and a club owned by their parent club....we will be locally-owned and whoever our NHL affiliate turns out to be will not control our roster (they'll only be sending us the prospects they want to play at the AHL level, we'll fill in the blanks, with as many vets as we can, for example) and they will not control our bankroll (meaning we actaully will have money to spend on advertising and marketing...our own, not the parent club's).

Serena587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 02:41 PM
sabrefan27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena587
Because that's the difference between a locally-owned club and a club owned by their parent club....we will be locally-owned and whoever our NHL affiliate turns out to be will not control our roster (they'll only be sending us the prospects they want to play at the AHL level, we'll fill in the blanks, with as many vets as we can, for example) and they will not control our bankroll (meaning we actaully will have money to spend on advertising and marketing...our own, not the parent club's).
That's not true. Only a handful of AHL teams sign there own players. Most rosters in the AHL are providd completely by the parent. It basically comes down to the affiliation agreement. If your owner can have roster control it can help. But it definitely doesn't ensure a winning team. Look at Springfield. They sign there own veterans.

sabrefan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 02:56 PM
NEOhioHockeyFan

I don't really think roster control is going to matter much. The affliliate will drop down as many prospects as they can and we have to round it out, but it's not really any different than if the parent owned the team. I think the thing that will help most is the fact that owning the arena, the Cavs and Quicken Loans, Gilbert has very deep pockets. I don't think he's gonna be shy about doing advertising, promotions and etc. Even if the team is only slightly more successful than the Barons, he could still make money or at least not lose nearly as much. There aren't lease costs, there aren't the costs that the Barons lost with merchandising, concessions and parking. All the money goes into his pockets. It will be interesting anyway. The biggest thing I'll be interested to see is if he really pulls off a TV deal, even if its just to broadcast a handful of games. I understand that the Lumberjacks had some games on TV. How many and what station were they on? Just curious. I've heard that the Cav's deal with FSN Ohio expires this season and the Indian's network is looking to pick them up for when baseball season is over. If that happens, I can imagine we could see some hockey games on there as part of a deal.

NEOhioHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 04:11 PM
dekem

With reference to the Pens farm teams, they are in small market cities. I wonder if fans in Cleveland feel there is a disadvantage to identifying to closely with a "major league " team in so far as it reinforces that this team is minor league. For AHL teams that have major league rivals in other sports (Chicago, Houston, San Antonio, Toronto, Philly, Milwaukee) they all have different names than their parent.
Any thoughts on this?

dekem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dekem
With reference to the Pens farm teams, they are in small market cities. I wonder if fans in Cleveland feel there is a disadvantage to identifying to closely with a "major league " team in so far as it reinforces that this team is minor league. For AHL teams that have major league rivals in other sports (Chicago, Houston, San Antonio, Toronto, Philly, Milwaukee) they all have different names than their parent.
Any thoughts on this?
I can only speak for Chicago here, but I think the key to being in a market where there are other choices, be it major league sports or other forms entertainment, is marketing. The Chicago Wolves have been a marketing machine in Chicago for a long time. I see far more advertisements for the Wolves than I do the Blackhawks.

The Wolves have a greater presence on TV, too. Yes, the game is run on the local cable access channel, but all the games are broadcast and many of them are on during prime time (7pm to 10pm). People who may be interested in the team can sample the product at home and maybe decide to attend a game or two. The reverse is true to; someone may go to a game and decide to continue to follow the team on TV.

Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 06:22 PM
AdmiralPred

Helps that the other pro team in town is owned by Wirtz. Hawks games aren't even on TV, locally, are they?

AdmiralPred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Majik1987
I know kung fu...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralPred
Helps that the other pro team in town is owned by Wirtz. Hawks games aren't even on TV, locally, are they?
The Hawks do not show most home games. They do show the away games, but being in the Western Conference, a lot of their games that they do show don't start until 9:30 PM local time.

Majik1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 06:05 PM
JaskulaR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik1987
The Hawks do not show most home games. They do show the away games, but being in the Western Conference, a lot of their games that they do show don't start until 9:30 PM local time.

"Most" is an understatement -- Wirtz shows the minimum mandated by the NHL, this year I beleive it was 2, and one wasn't even shown because OLN decided the Hawks weren't worth showing.

The Wolves have been a success in Chicago due to STELLAR marketing. They don't play themselves off as a minor league alternative, just as a Hawks alternative, and it's been succesful. Their early years in the IHL they brought in alot of ex-Hawks to help things out -- Noonan, Secord, etc. Having little Gretzky around helped as well. They've kept the ball rolling, and their real, in building attendence, actually rivals the Blackhawks most nights.

JaskulaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-13-2006, 06:38 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Well unless Gilbert buys the Cincinnati franchise to play in QLA , why the Barons voted to block the sale of Gilbert's acquisition of the dormant Utah franchise when in fact they were known to be a "lame-duck" franchise all season---it was a question of where the Barons would be transferred next, it just happened to be Worcester.

CHRDANHUTCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-16-2006, 04:41 AM
Dougmustgo*

Quote:

Because I know who will be running the operation. Len Komoroski (former Jakcs GM) will be running this team for Gilbert. Len is an excellent choice.

Old
04-16-2006, 06:05 PM
DougKnowsBest

I dont think that cleveland sports fans would react to well to being second fiddle to a columbus sports team. I agree with the comment that it would be nice if the CBJ were in cleveland. But in general I just dont see it motivating a lot of clevlenders. Thay are use to us following their pro franchises. I dont think it is a 2 way street. I dont think the attendance bump of being affiliated with the CBJ would of saved the franchise.

case in point, most hockey fans in cleveland are red wings fans, not the CBJ.

DougKnowsBest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 08:39 PM
mbclev

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLBaronsFan
I understand that the Lumberjacks had some games on TV. How many and what station were they on? Just curious.
I think early in the Jacks' Cleveland history there were some games on WUAB Ch. 43, and maybe there were some games that were on what's now Fox Sports Net-Ohio. I hope the next Cleveland hockey team has a TV deal, because the Barons never had one in the five years they were here. (In the '01-'02 season, I thought we might possibly see a Barons game on TV because Adelphia had the now-defunct Empire Sports Network at the time in the Cleveland area, and when the team played either Rochester or Syracuse, that might have been a possibility.)

mbclev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2006, 09:20 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbclev
I think early in the Jacks' Cleveland history there were some games on WUAB Ch. 43, and maybe there were some games that were on what's now Fox Sports Net-Ohio. I hope the next Cleveland hockey team has a TV deal, because the Barons never had one in the five years they were here. (In the '01-'02 season, I thought we might possibly see a Barons game on TV because Adelphia had the now-defunct Empire Sports Network at the time in the Cleveland area, and when the team played either Rochester or Syracuse, that might have been a possibility.)
I think that's kind of hard to say, mb, and the 01 season, Empire was a spin net off Buffalo, but from reading the Ohio Media Watch, unless the Cleveland franchise strikes a deal with the new Sportstime Ohio network, which has the Indians along with WKYC, but I'm afraid what the cross-over is is what the Cavaliers have will be aligned w/ the hockey team.

Old
04-30-2006, 06:41 AM
Dougmustgo*

Looks Like

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH
I think that's kind of hard to say, mb, and the 01 season, Empire was a spin net off Buffalo, but from reading the Ohio Media Watch, unless the Cleveland franchise strikes a deal with the new Sportstime Ohio network, which has the Indians along with WKYC, but I'm afraid what the cross-over is is what the Cavaliers have will be aligned w/ the hockey team.

20 games on t.v. and all games on radio for Cleveland return to the "A" in 2007-08. Just go to Gilberts website under FAQ's:

www.clevelandprohockey.com

Old
04-30-2006, 10:11 AM
CHRDANHUTCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougmustgo
20 games on t.v. and all games on radio for Cleveland return to the "A" in 2007-08. Just go to Gilberts website under FAQ's:

www.clevelandprohockey.com

yea, so what common ownership is which franchise Doug---CAVALIERS, BUT DON'T be shocked if Sportstime Ohio doesn't strike some deal

What does Gilbert/Cleveland plan to do until then, if u are from Syracuse

Old
05-01-2006, 08:10 AM
NEOhioHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbclev
Thanks for the info. Gilbert has pledged a TV deal and I'm sure if he can get the Cavs on Sporttime Ohio, it's not improbable to round out some other dates with hockey games. Will be interesting. I'm just hoping once the season is over, they just come out with a name and logo and hit the ground running. Host the Holy War on Ice again, get there mascot there, have a season ticket sign up. Maybe even host some preseason games, even without an affiliate. If not NHL, maybe something else. Last season Youngstown (CHL) and Toledo (ECHL) had an exhibition game, maybe we can lure something like that here. Could also hold the NAHL playoffs for the Jr. Barons next season. Youngstown is hosting it this year, but were not able to secure the Chevy Centre, which ticked alot of people off. Just some thoughts.

NEOhioHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2006, 12:19 PM
Mr Brownstone

Send a message via AIM to Mr Brownstone Send a message via MSN to Mr Brownstone Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Brownstone
On the TV subject, once the Cavs contract is up with FSN at the end of this year, I guarantee it goes to Sports Time Ohio and since Gilbert will have an in with them, hockey games will be on there once the team comes into existance.

Mr Brownstone is offline   Reply With Quote