HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Jessiman

Closed Thread

Old
04-09-2006, 05:58 PM
Mark Pavelich

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mark Pavelich
Jessiman

Can someone let me know how Jessiman has been playing as of late? When he came up from the ECHL he put up some points but I haven't heard much about him since. Thanks in advance

Old
04-09-2006, 07:05 PM
Scotty Hockey

Last night he looked a bit out of sorts. A lot of size and strength but couldn't put anything together. If he gets some space and the proper linemates, he could be a force. I'm definitely not about to write him off yet as a bust.

Old
04-09-2006, 07:56 PM
Fletch

A while ago...

he was taken off Immonen's line and is getting less ice time. That could be a reason for his lack of points.

Old
04-09-2006, 08:10 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstranged
Last night he looked a bit out of sorts. A lot of size and strength but couldn't put anything together. If he gets some space and the proper linemates, he could be a force. I'm definitely not about to write him off yet as a bust.
A Ranger fan on another board said he seems to have brought a REAL mean streak back from Charlotte with him. We'll see what that means for his development. If we see stagnation next year, I'd start worrying. But, I'm willing to excuse his lost time from the injury last year.

Old
04-10-2006, 07:44 AM
wereback

I watched him play in Bridgeport on Sat. He is mostly invisible on the ice. He does have a mean streak but otherwise his skills have diminished since the injury.

Old
04-10-2006, 08:15 AM
Vodka Drunkenski

Send a message via AIM to Vodka Drunkenski Send a message via Yahoo to Vodka Drunkenski
He still has a ton of potential, he just needs time to make everything come together.

Old
04-10-2006, 08:26 AM
True Blue

The way I see it, next year is the make or break year for Hugh. Either he will take a step forward or he will not. If he makes a noticeable step forward, then we can still have hope for him. If he stagnates during his 2nd year in the AHL, then there are reasons to worry. It will be a bitter pill to swallow if in a draft that deep, he turns out to be the bust that everyone worried about taking in the first round.

Old
04-10-2006, 09:40 AM
Son of Steinbrenner

Even if he doesn't have a "break out" year next year it isn't a reason to worry. Maybe for a normal player but not for Jessiman. Remember he went from playing to not playing to playing againts teams that are much much much much (a lot) better than Dartmouths opponents..............

I know the Rangers should've drafted Getzlaf (montreal can say the same thing but thats a draft it's a crap shoot) but Jessiman could still turn into a bigger reward. He has all tools he just needs to put it all together.

Last edited by Son of Steinbrenner: 04-10-2006 at 09:56 AM.
Old
04-10-2006, 09:49 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
To be honest, he's going to have to probably be around 23/24 before he starts to shine a bit in my eyes. He's still raw as hell and still a bit tentative due to his injury and everything. Give him time.

Old
04-10-2006, 10:12 AM
True Blue

The questions regarding Jessiman is not whether or not he has the tolls, becuase he clearly does. It is whether or not he can put it all together. What discourages me is that, while he has made progress, it is seemingly very miniscule. You look at the steps forward taken by player like Moore & Dubinsky, and they seem to dward any progress that Hugh has made. Even somebody like Helminen has made more of an assertive step forward.
I know that power-forwards take more time to develop. But compared to most, Jessiman is crawling along. Following his break-out year, his development is seemingly in limbo. I know that there was an injury, but it still seems like he is not progressing at a comfortable pace.
I hope he turns it all around next year, but am beginning to loose some confidence in him as a prospect overall.

Old
04-10-2006, 10:17 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription
To be honest, he's going to have to probably be around 23/24 before he starts to shine a bit in my eyes. He's still raw as hell and still a bit tentative due to his injury and everything. Give him time.
Yeah, but something tells me that he might only become as good as a Micheal Grosek type player, from what ive seen he just doesnt seem to have that put your head down extra quick drive in his offensive style that you need from a young talent like his.

Maybe his injury has stunted that, i hope i am proven wrong...

Old
04-10-2006, 11:46 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Hate to say it but it looks like Hugh Jessiman has bust written all over him.He hasn't improved since returning to Hartford from Charlotte.The Rangers can overcome his non-development.Not all of the 2003 first round picks are going to be great players.The Rangers have enough prospects in their system to make up for the loss of Jessiman

Old
04-10-2006, 11:53 AM
Block More Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy
Hate to say it but it looks like Hugh Jessiman has bust written all over him.He hasn't improved since returning to Hartford from Charlotte.The Rangers can overcome his non-development.Not all of the 2003 first round picks are going to be great players.The Rangers have enough prospects in their system to make up for the loss of Jessiman
I hate to agree but it seems that way. I hope he can prove me and everyone else that is doubting him wrong but it just doesn't look promising.

My suggestion: Try to get the most value out of him NOW and package him with our 1st and something else to move up in the draft. I'd like to give him one more year in Hartford to see how he plays but if we wait another year and he doesn't improve at all, his value will be next to nothing.

Old
04-10-2006, 12:14 PM
Gottokeeponrisin

There is NO justification for taking him that high.

Old
04-10-2006, 12:55 PM
robertch

Yeah, as I've written before, there's nothing wrong with drafting a high risk pick (especially given his hometown connection), but it was a BIG mistake to do so in a draft like that one.

I agree, we should try to trade Jessiman now while he still has some value. He might be a good fit in St. Louis with Stempniak. I bet he winds up getting a couple games in the NHL down the road (esp if he stay with NY), but I'll bet my bottom dollar he never lives up to his first round status.

Old
04-10-2006, 01:47 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottokeeponrisin
There is NO justification for taking him that high.

Thank you. I agree whole-heartedly, and I always have, since pre-2003 Draft. The Rangers should write him off and trade him for another mid/late round pick to atone for the mistake.

Besides, even if he was tearing it up in the AHL, which he is as close to doing as Kaspar is to winning a Hart Trophy, there is no room for him on this team. He would have to leapfrog over a dozen forward prospects over the next few years, not to mention the established NHL'ers, to even sniff a regular shift...or at least the kind of ice time allotted to a top-15 pick

Please, the experiment failed. This team doesn't need slow forwards. I'd rather dress Orr.

Old
04-10-2006, 01:51 PM
Block More Shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenTurcotte8
Please, the experiment failed. This team doesn't need slow forwards. I'd rather dress Orr.
Orr IS a slow forward.

Old
04-10-2006, 02:15 PM
BLACKBURN

From day one we knew he was a "project." I am willling to be patient at this point, he has little trade value yet still solid upside so why not keep him around until we can make an accurate assesment on the kids potential.

I for one have not given up hope on him and would like to see how he does next season as a second year pro.

Old
04-10-2006, 02:26 PM
TheRedressor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBURN
From day one we knew he was a "project." I am willling to be patient at this point, he has little trade value yet still solid upside so why not keep him around until we can make an accurate assesment on the kids potential.

I for one have not given up hope on him and would like to see how he does next season as a second year pro.
I agree with you on the whole second year thing. People are completlely writing him off right now. I have a feeling he is going to work hard over the summer and will come to training camp as a different player. He's had a very weird year or so. I still think that Hugh Jessiman is the best foward prospect we have in our system. He is just going to take longer to develop, especially because of the injury.

Old
04-10-2006, 02:28 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

The Rangers shouldn't trade Jessiman.What is in the point in that?He needs to get his act together.The biggest problem with Jessiman is inside him.How badly does he want it?If the hockey career doesn't work out,he can always finish his school work at Dartmouth and work for his father.Drive and intensity?Does Jessiman have it?

Send him to Laura Stamm's power skating school.John Davidson said last night Gionta became a better player taking the power skating lessons.Move his feet

Old
04-10-2006, 02:38 PM
TheRedressor

Another thing is that he needs to play big minutes in the A. Intead of having him in that position, Alexandre Giroux, Chad Wiseman, Fedor Federov and others are taking up both his and Korpikoski's spot. Hopefully it will be different next season once a lot of these guys are let go.

Old
04-10-2006, 05:33 PM
Gottokeeponrisin

I dont know but, it seems perhaps Sather and Company were so high on Jessiman was the fact that he grew up a Rangers fan. Oh well I have excused this bonehead pick because soon we will have the next Adam Foote with Staal.

Closed Thread