HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Direction required !

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2003, 05:13 AM
Top Corner

vCash: 500
Direction required !

Hopefully some changes are coming. What we are seeing is a replica of
last years team. Add Peca & Ninnamma for the year but same old story.
Yes, they are above .500 but with light competition.

If the Isles are set on a 43 - 45m and need a 23 player roster(Avg. 1.95m) Why continue to pay Yashin? Maybe Detroit wouldn't be a bad spot. He will cost the Isles upwards of 8 to 10m for another 7 years.

They got Yashin to bridge a gap until Bridgeport could produce younger players. Granted ,the length of the contract was a marketing ploy to show stability has come on Long Island but they have a chance to recover from that with Fedorov moving on.

As you can see, this team won't be doing much damage, lets keep Peca as our frontliner, get the experienced goalie that Det. wants out and see if they can't get another young player in that deal. In 2 or 3 years the Isles draft choices should be about ready to be making a push, the budget is more balanced
which should produce a good young upcoming team.

Old
10-30-2003, 09:17 AM
IslesFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozbad

If the Isles are set on a 43 - 45m and need a 23 player roster(Avg. 1.95m) Why continue to pay Yashin? Maybe Detroit wouldn't be a bad spot. He will cost the Isles upwards of 8 to 10m for another 7 years.

They got Yashin to bridge a gap until Bridgeport could produce younger players. Granted ,the length of the contract was a marketing ploy to show stability has come on Long Island but they have a chance to recover from that with Fedorov moving on.

As you can see, this team won't be doing much damage, lets take Peca,
get the experienced goalie that Det. wants out and see if they can't get another young player in that deal. In 2 or 3 years the Isles draft choices should be about ready to be making a push, the budget is more balanced
Yashin and Peca were brought here to be the faces of the franchise, not to be stopgaps for the farm system. They traded a ton of their future get these two players. And I see nobody presently in the organization that could take over for either player in the future.

And I'm sorry, did you actually suggest trading Michael Peca for Cujo? Have you lose your mind? Cujo makes like double Peca's salary...

Old
10-30-2003, 11:28 AM
Islanders4Cups

Quote:
I disagree! Yashin and Peca were brought in to lead the Islanders to a Stanley Cup championship. Either they will or they won't with the supporting role players, defense and goaltending that is in place.

Time will tell... No reason to panic yet!

Old
10-30-2003, 11:48 AM
Top Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesFan17
Yashin and Peca were brought here to be the faces of the franchise, not to be stopgaps for the farm system. They traded a ton of their future get these two players. And I see nobody presently in the organization that could take over for either player in the future.

And I'm sorry, did you actually suggest trading Michael Peca for Cujo? Have you lose your mind? Cujo makes like double Peca's salary...
Not Peca, Yashin for Cujo and another Youngster with a future if not a present.

Peca would be our main guy short term until another star arises.
I'm not sure Milbury makes the Yashin deal if he has Peca on board before the draft. He may have stayed with Spezza or not gave up as much to get Yashin.

Old
10-30-2003, 08:44 PM
mitchy22

What?!?!??!?!

They got Yashin because they thought he'd be a 40 goal/90 point first line All-Star Center for plenty of years still to come.

Let's not dismantle this team so quickly. Surely I'd love to see Yashin's deal magically become 5 years, or his salary decreased, but that's probably not going to happen.

I'm happy with the way things are right now because the team is stable enough to bring in younger talent as it comes, and while it may not be a super power, the team is above average and will remain that way for the forseeable future...with the hopes of greater advancement coming either with the rise of some prospects or the rise of a new building and lease. The team is going to be in this holding pattern and it isn't a terrible holding pattern to have, I don't mind making room for young talent, but I am just plain sick of moving the bigger players unless what we get in return is quality.

Unless we're getting a Zetterberg or Datsyuk back I don't want to even talk about moving Yashin to get Cujo. Personally, I don't want to crap on DiPietro anymore, I think he'll put up solid numbers for the year, and hopefully get 50-60 games in. Let Cujo lose his rust elsewhere.

This team hasn't shown me enough to give up on it yet. It's a long season, I want to get a really good look before the trade deadline comes and see if this team is still standing. Let's see a few more games against tougher competition before we evaluate the performance.

Let's see where we stand after about 25-30 games before we even begin to wonder whether things will change in the playoffs WHEN we make it. This team is filled with guys who could turn the tide in a playoff series, the problem is that those guys aren't the offensive types we'd like them to be, but defense and goaltending wins championships, with clutch scoring and good special teams, and I think we still have a shot at that.

DiPietro is the keystone now folks, if he becomes a playoff caliber goalie in the next 3 years, and we end up with at least one offensively gifted prospect lighting the lamp on our roster, we could still really have something here, out of whack salaries and all.

Anything can change, but I'm still giving this team a chance to do some damage in the short term, and not just to itself.

Mitch

Quote:

As you can see, this team won't be doing much damage, lets take Peca,
get the experienced goalie that Det. wants out and see if they can't get another young player in that deal. In 2 or 3 years the Isles draft choices should be about ready to be making a push, the budget is more balanced

Closed Thread