HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Recipe for Success in Round #1.

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2006, 09:15 AM
Fletch

vCash: 500
Not sure it was overblown...

but I do recall it being an injury of a recurring nature. While it didn't always keep him out of a game, as it's difficult to keep Jagr from the ice, it did often affect his play. I remember him sitting on the sidelines even as a Ranger getting his groin massaged and comments being made. Maybe it's overblown by a bit, but it's not invisible either.

Old
04-11-2006, 11:57 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Rangers vs. (insert team here) comes down to the Rangers ability to keep it together in the third.

This team for nearly 80 games has been all over the place in the third. Sometimes they turn it on other times they look lost. They are a complete wild card in terms of third period play.

In the playoffs you have to be good, your period cannot be as random as a roll of the dice.

The Rangers success will come down to four things:

1. Not over-relying on Jagr.

2. Working hard in the third period.

3. Doing the small things.

4. Not being physically grinded down be an oppossing team.
Get what your saying here, but IMO the chances of the Rangers advancing round from round rises or falls in almost direct parellel to Jagr's production.

JJ & the #1 line will have to be more effective in creating scoring opps and drawing penalties. They will have to keep moving and creating inspite of smother tactics which make a player feel like he's skating in mud.

It's gonna be a tough grind, but they already have people doubting them which I think works to their advantage.

Old
04-11-2006, 12:21 PM
True Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletch
but I do recall it being an injury of a recurring nature.
There is a fine line between "overblown" and "non-existent". That Jagr has missed time ever since the '97 season becuase of groin injuries is fact. That he has yet to have a season where he missed 20 games is also fact. He seems to have been mostly groin-problem free for the last two years. However, he has missed time in 2000 & 2002 due to groin issues. He has also been seen to have some work done on his groin this year, after "tweaking" it.
Most, if not all, of his injuries in the past have been groin-related. So there is something there. However, in the past 2 years, he seems to have strengthened himself to the point that it is not as much of a worry.

Old
04-11-2006, 01:29 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza
Get what your saying here, but IMO the chances of the Rangers advancing round from round rises or falls in almost direct parellel to Jagr's production.

JJ & the #1 line will have to be more effective in creating scoring opps and drawing penalties. They will have to keep moving and creating inspite of smother tactics which make a player feel like he's skating in mud.

It's gonna be a tough grind, but they already have people doubting them which I think works to their advantage.
I agree about Jagr. I think it really depends a lot on him, though obviously the harder the team works the more their odds of success increase.

As for doubts, I think you can say that about just about every team in the east outside of Carolina and Ottawa and even they aren't sure things by any stretch.

As a whole I think the cup is wide open, it just depends on who can adapt best.

Old
04-11-2006, 01:32 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Steinbrenner
Tweak his groin? Do you realize how many games he has missed due to injury the past few years?

Jagrs groin "problem" was overblown when he was traded here and has no business in conversation now.
Gotta disagree, it's bothered him every year for about 8 years now, including this season.

Now obviously he hasn't missed time, but it something the team has to be aware of especially in regards to a player who they've put a lot of weight on this year and is 34 years old.

Jagr is without a doubt a world-class, elite level talent, but his amazing skills sometimes makes us forget that this is a guy who has played in the league since 1990, is 34 and has a lot of miles under the hood. To some extent they do have to monitor his health a little. That's not really a knock on him, so much as it'd be something to factor in with any player at the age of 34.

Old
04-11-2006, 01:40 PM
Fletch

We'll see what Renney does...

in the next four games. In the last several, he's gotten more than his usual amount, including about 27 minutes in a Devils game that didn't go into OT (28 in a Flyers game that did). He's been able to handle it this season - perhaps the guy's feeling like steel these days and wants to push it.

Closed Thread