HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

We all assume that DT is toast....

Old
04-10-2006, 04:58 PM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

vCash: 500
DT is toast. The excuses have been run out, and many fans are very unhappy. You don't have to be a hockey genius to know when your time is up.

That said, within a week of the Kings' regular season ending, will we see DT get the boot.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 05:02 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by levacktrash
28 GMs other than Taylor passed on Selanne and was a super deal.
28 GMs other than Taylor passed on Carter and was a super deal.
28 GMs other than Taylor passed on Straka and was a super deal.

I don't think I am very far off the mark?
It's been publicly mentioned more than once that DT offered Selanne and Straka contracts.

Old
04-10-2006, 05:08 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Quote:
To Old and Slow:

Any every also passed on Straka who was free! There was no bidding war going on for these players when they were signed and any GM in the league could of easily had them for a couple hundred thousand dollars more or better yet an extra year of term.
if by free you mean 3 million, then yeah....but i doubt many other teams would have topped NY's offer to Straka....plus, i dont even think he's that great of a player...put Armstrong on a line with a motivated Jagr, and he will get a point per game

I Am Ziggy Palffy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 08:05 PM
Osprey

Quote:
28 GMs other than Taylor passed on Selanne and was a super deal.
28 GMs other than Taylor passed on Carter and was a super deal.
28 GMs other than Taylor passed on Straka and was a super deal.
By that mode of logic, 28 GMs other than Taylor passed on Forsberg, Kariya and Niedermayer, as well.

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 09:16 PM
absolutic

After the Kings final game, and he will 'step down' himself or he will be reassigned to be a scout or some other position within the organization.

absolutic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 09:51 PM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey
By that mode of logic, 28 GMs other than Taylor passed on Forsberg, Kariya and Niedermayer, as well.

You don't pass on Forsberg, Kariya, and Niedermayer. You throw alot of money at them and hope they take it.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 09:53 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite
You don't pass on Forsberg, Kariya, and Niedermayer. You throw alot of money at them and hope they take it.
I know he threw a lot of money at 2 of them.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 09:58 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Nick Nickson mentioned on Kings Talk that the Kings were in the running for Peter Forsberg, and his last two choices were Philadelphia and LA, and he chose to go to Philly.

Straight from Nickson's mouth.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 10:01 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

Seriously,why would any free agent want to play here?

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 10:02 PM
Reaper45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust
Nick Nickson mentioned on Kings Talk that the Kings were in the running for Peter Forsberg, and his last two choices were Philadelphia and LA, and he chose to go to Philly.

I heard a few names the Kings were after that just fell through.

Forsberg, Domi, Kariya and Demitra.

Old
04-10-2006, 10:29 PM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust

thats almost inconceivable....but if it had happened, either Frolov or Cammy would have had 40+ goals by now....or Forsberg would have played a week and his groin explodes

but if this is true, then it would be very strange since LA had to take on JR's contract just so PHI would be able to sign Forsberg....if it truly was down to these 2 teams, wouldnt LA win if they simply refused to take on JR's 5 mil?

Last edited by I Am Ziggy Palffy: 04-10-2006 at 10:48 PM.
I Am Ziggy Palffy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 11:17 PM
levacktrash

Lieweke has an upper limit on individual I think it is $5MM. We had room in our payroll to make Forsburg one of the highest players in the league and somehow Lieweke's simple mind calculated that Roenick was a better deal than at $5MM.

There is no way in the world that Taylor would take Roenick for $5MM instead of Forsburg for $7MM. Lieweke mistakenly saw Roenick as a big marketing package.

It should be shame on Tim Lieweke for overusing his power and sticking his nose into Taylor's and somewhat into Andy Murray's business.

Does anyone really think that TL does the team any good? I could understand his problems prior the CBA when several teams were spending $20 to $40MM more than his market can afford. But now it makes absolutely no sense to try and save a few million as it could cost you in the long run.

The CBA was designed so that teams like Philly could not sign Forsburg. Lieweke gives them $5MM by taking Roenick and allows them to sign Forsburg. This had to be one of the worst deals in NHL history.

I would suspect if Nickson is leaking this info he is doing it out of respect for Taylor. Taylor is way tooclassy to criticise his own organization. So was Murray. I would really like an explanation from TL and a definition of what exactly his role is in player acquisition.

If his budget is less than the league max I'll buy Duck tickets. If he is picking personnel then we have by far the most underquified person doing that since Harold Ballard and again I'll buy Duck tickets.

levacktrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 11:24 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Am Ziggy Palffy
thats almost inconceivable....but if it had happened, either Frolov or Cammy would have had 40+ goals by now....or Forsberg would have played a week and his groin explodes

but if this is true, then it would be very strange since LA had to take on JR's contract just so PHI would be able to sign Forsberg....if it truly was down to these 2 teams, wouldnt LA win if they simply refused to take on JR's 5 mil?
LA didn't "win" because Forsberg didn't want to face the Avs too often and also the Flyers gave him the terms he desired. The Kings have lost out on some free agents because they didn't offer that extra year it took to get them signed (like when they lost out on Palffy). In Forsberg's case, I don't think he was looking for a long term deal as he expects to retire after a couple more seasons. Either way, that is how it is in sports and in any business. You win some, you lose some. Not every deal that is being worked on ends up happening.

Ziggy Stardust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 11:40 PM
swinginutter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSP
Seriously,why would any free agent want to play here?
Why don't you ask every NHL'r in the league.

A.) Weather
B.) Women
C.) No pressure via fans or media
D.) Women
E.) Women
F.) Weather
G.) Women

Should I keep going?

swinginutter* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 11:43 PM
PSP
Couldn't Be Happier!

I know it's hard to believe, but some people care more about winning than getting laid...

PSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 11:44 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginutter
Why don't you ask every NHL'r in the league.

A.) Weather
B.) Women
C.) No pressure via fans or media
D.) Women
E.) Women
F.) Weather
G.) Women

Should I keep going?
Nice try swinginutter!!! Ok - from a woman's point of view, the valid responses are : A, C & F . Most of the guys get married young. If they play around after that, well then

ILuvLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2006, 12:19 AM
Kingz4ever

DT is toast, move on.

Kingz4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2006, 12:27 AM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4ever
DT is toast, move on.
And we have a winner! Exactly. Can't wait to see who the next GM turns out to be. Hopefully, we won't be moaning & groaning when the announcement is made!

Old
04-11-2006, 12:27 AM
Reaper45

Quote:
If his budget is less than the league max I'll buy Duck tickets. If he is picking personnel then we have by far the most underquified person doing that since Harold Ballard and again I'll buy Duck tickets.
Don't let the door hit you on the way out....

Old
04-11-2006, 12:34 AM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Agree with Reaper on this comment of yours...

Old
04-11-2006, 12:42 AM
Riposte!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvLA
Most of the guys get married young.
I know, what is up with that? Do they figure "I better grab one and hang on for dear life so I have someone to take care of me when I'm 45, have knees and joints the consistency of jelly, and eating ice cream 3 times a day because I no longer have teeth?"

Riposte! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2006, 12:50 AM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riposte!
I know, what is up with that? Do they figure "I better grab one and hang on for dear life so I have someone to take care of me when I'm 45, have knees and joints the consistency of jelly, and eating ice cream 3 times a day because I no longer have teeth?"
My personal belief is that it's from leaving home so young to play in the OHL, etc. They seem to look for some sort of stability. Even if they marry a little later, it's usually with their long time girlfriend who they met when in the juniors or in the minors.

Old
04-11-2006, 01:02 AM
Creeping Death

They'll let DT handle any end of the year stuff for this season, and by May 1st, he'll be canned along with everyone else.

As for Forsberg, Ive heard we offered him 3 years at the max cap (7.8 I believe), and he turned us down for Philly. Fact is players dont want to be here because we dont have a winning organization due to ownership/management.

In this whole cluster****, everyone is to blame.

Creeping Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2006, 01:12 AM
Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Tikkanen
I don't think he will be fired. He will step into another role and help to hire the new GM. Sam McMaster laughs at DT's moves.

Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2006, 01:18 AM
Riposte!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILuvLA
My personal belief is that it's from leaving home so young to play in the OHL, etc. They seem to look for some sort of stability. Even if they marry a little later, it's usually with their long time girlfriend who they met when in the juniors or in the minors.
That's a hard gig for a wife, especially when they decide to have kid(s). 41 games away from home, plus travel days and rest days, etc.

Of course, that may be why athlete marriages always seem to last a long time: they don't have to see each other every day

Riposte! is offline   Reply With Quote