HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

One of the best hockey fights ever!!

Closed Thread

Old
04-11-2006, 03:41 PM
Doshell Propivo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyRangers
Give the guy a break. When your team hasn't won a playoff series in something like 15 years you start to grasp for anything. Poor guy has got to suffer with Yashin for 5 more seasons.
Not for nothing but the Rangers haven't won a round (or made the playoffs) in 10 straight years.

Old
04-11-2006, 03:50 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karel
Folks, these are hired professionals that put the jersey on because of a contract and a paycheck. They are not your blood relatives. Put Vukota in a Ranger jersey and Puriton in an Islander jersey and the reactions to these fights are very different.

For the record, I think that ALL of the incidents in these clips were cheap and classless. I appreciate tough, physical hockey and even like the occasional fight. I can also appreciate a passionate rivalry such as NYR-NYI (which by the way is now dead) as it brings out many great qualities of the sport. However, some "fans" need a reality check. The blood-thirsty garbage being spewed (from both sides) can be a little disturbing and frightening.
For the record most fans on this site don't like Dale Purinton and would rather not have him wear a Rangers jersey again. Personally, I hope that he is sent packing this summer. Its got nothing to do with the fact that he's a mediocare d-man; he's just a dirty player and I hate to see that. Also, Vukota always was a punk. I would have felt the same way about him in a Rangers jersey as I do in an Islanders jersey.

If you find this stuff so appalling why do you bother posting links to the site? Seems to me like your looking to antagonize a few Rangers fans. Looks like the one that needs a reality check is you.

Old
04-11-2006, 03:53 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Not for nothing but the Rangers haven't won a round (or made the playoffs) in 10 straight years.
Really??? I guess that must have been a mirage in 97 when we got all the way to the conference finals. Try again!

Old
04-11-2006, 03:54 PM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
Really??? I guess that must have been a mirage in 97 when we got all the way to the conference finals. Try again!
OK. 9 years. Sorry.

Old
04-11-2006, 04:03 PM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
For the record most fans on this site don't like Dale Purinton and would rather not have him wear a Rangers jersey again. Personally, I hope that he is sent packing this summer. Its got nothing to do with the fact that he's a mediocare d-man; he's just a dirty player and I hate to see that. Also, Vukota always was a punk. I would have felt the same way about him in a Rangers jersey as I do in an Islanders jersey.

If you find this stuff so appalling why do you bother posting links to the site? Seems to me like your looking to antagonize a few Rangers fans. Looks like the one that needs a reality check is you.
Do/did you feel the same way about Hospodar, Samuelsson, Fleury, etc?

Also, it's not so much that I find it appalling as I do amusing that some fans loyalty clouds rational thought. Just pointing it out. Figure this is as appropriate a form as any to do so.

Old
04-11-2006, 04:13 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Do/did you feel the same way about Hospodar, Samuelsson, Fleury, etc?

Also, it's not so much that I find it appalling as I do amusing that some fans loyalty clouds rational thought. Just pointing it out. Figure this is as appropriate a form as any to do so.
Fleury was more of an embarressment to himself then anything else. I actual felt sorry at first for Theo cause its obvious this guys got some serious issues. After a while it just became a joke. As for Samuelsson I guess some would say he was a dirty player. I never saw that even in his days with the Pens. Chippy, yes. He'd smack you in the ankles, run you high that kind of garbage. He wasn't one that would go outta the way to try and hurt you. The only problem I had with him is that he hardly ever dropped the gloves. Overall I liked the guy. Never had much of an opinion of Eddie H. Didn't think he was much of a player, or a fighter for that matter.

Old
04-11-2006, 04:35 PM
Melanson

Quote:
Fleury was more of an embarressment to himself then anything else. I actual felt sorry at first for Theo cause its obvious this guys got some serious issues. After a while it just became a joke. As for Samuelsson I guess some would say he was a dirty player. I never saw that even in his days with the Pens. Chippy, yes. He'd smack you in the ankles, run you high that kind of garbage. He wasn't one that would go outta the way to try and hurt you. The only problem I had with him is that he hardly ever dropped the gloves. Overall I liked the guy. Never had much of an opinion of Eddie H. Didn't think he was much of a player, or a fighter for that matter.
You might need to go read the thread in the NHL forum titled "Dirtiest player in NHL History". I'd say about 70% of the posts rank Samuelsson near the top. These are fans of many different teams.

Coincidence? I doubt it.

Both the Isles and Rangers have had cheap dirty players on their squads in the past. No incident should be considered more "classless" than others. They were all dirty.

Old
04-11-2006, 07:00 PM
JerseyRangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melanson
You might need to go read the thread in the NHL forum titled "Dirtiest player in NHL History". I'd say about 70% of the posts rank Samuelsson near the top. These are fans of many different teams.

Coincidence? I doubt it.

Both the Isles and Rangers have had cheap dirty players on their squads in the past. No incident should be considered more "classless" than others. They were all dirty.
No, all that tells me is that most of the posters on these boards haven't been hockey fans very long. How do you make a list of "Dirtiest Players in NHL History" and not start it with Eddie Shack, Terrible Ted Lindsay, and Gordie Howe. These guys make most of the other guys mentioned look like choir boys. Samuellson no way ranks anywhere near these guys. In last couple of decades guys like Claude Lemeiux, Bryan Marchment, Dale Hunter, and even that puke that ended Beuks career rank higher.

As to Samuellson, first off, I hardly view him as a Ranger. He will always be identified as a Penguin in my book, just like Ronnie Francis. Second, two things have given Ulfie a bad rep. One, he wore a helmet with a visor and never fought. Therefore, even though he played on the edge and played a very chippy game, the fact that he didn't "back it up" in the traditional sense automatically makes many people label him as a dirty player. Guess what, he was no dirtier than scores of other defensmen who played a nasty game. Difference is alot of other d-men dropped the gloves when challenged. The second thing is the Neely hit. Guess what???? It was a good hit!!! Unfortunate that it essentially ended Neely's career but there was nothing wrong with the hit. Nah, I'll say it again. Samuellson was a rough, nasty player who totally played on the edge. He was hardly one of the dirtiest players to ever play the game.

Old
04-11-2006, 07:11 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
That Purinton vs Cairns fight (vid #1) was awesome. It wasn't even a sucker punch like the moron who posted the captions said. Just a straight up amazing shot to good ol' Glass Jaw's face.

Old
04-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Melanson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription
That Purinton vs Cairns fight (vid #1) was awesome. It wasn't even a sucker punch like the moron who posted the captions said. Just a straight up amazing shot to good ol' Glass Jaw's face.
Actually, if you recall, there were a lot of Rangers players who didn't exactly "back" Purinton when this happened. They also didn't seem thrilled when Purinton refused to fight Cairns in Nassau the next time they played. I think this speaks volumes. I doubt Purinton was very well respected in his own locker room.

Even Larry Brooks (the biggest Ranger homer around) said in his column the next week that what Purinton did was frowned upon and never would have happened in the "old days".

I'm not trying to pick a fight but I hate any of the cheap crap that goes on (even when Islanders do it). For example, I hated that when Peca came back from the Tucker hit he tried to do the same thing to Chara. Dirty hockey IMO.

There are plenty of ways to get hurt playing this game without someone taking a cheap shot.

Old
04-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Avery316
guilty as charged

Yeah thats what we call a taxation by Purinton and did anyone catch Snow fall over that stick lmao!

Closed Thread