Bolland gets 4 games

Closed Thread

Old
04-13-2006, 09:53 AM
JrHockeyFan

vCash: 500
Read!

Quote:
I"m no Hercule Poirot, but I think I can figure out what has happened here. You read Dale Hunter's statement in the paper, translated that to fact, posted it, then when you saw the video you didn't want to retract your statement so as to not look foolish.
Actually if you look at when I posted my opinion it was before any comments made by Hunter were published. Look at the thread Hercule Gagne

Quote:
So now by admitting 2 games would have been an appropriate suspension, you're admitting he's at least partially guilty? So he did make a kicking motion? I thought it was the linesman's fault! I though he didn't kick, I thought he was being spun around! Why would someone get suspended for being spun around?
Ditto to you Trippy. Look at the very first post in the thread (and several other spots). I said:
Quote:
Contact was made accidentally and some kind of suspension could be justified like high sticking. I would not be happy with 2 games, but it would at least show that consideration was given for all of the factors.

I have said from the outset that 2 games was justifiable simply because the guy should be in control of his skates, sticks or whatever. Just like incidental high stick contact. If you want to take shots at least get it right Trippy.

Last edited by JrHockeyFan: 04-13-2006 at 10:03 AM.
Old
04-13-2006, 10:22 AM
thomasincanada

Quote:
Originally Posted by GagneOwnsYou
Yeah, great game by the Knights last night.

Just when you think there are chinks in the armor....
Dennis stood on his head. I know you weren't one of them, Gagne, but I was surprised to see how many people had written the knights off so early. I think there are a lot of fickle fans and even more people itching to jump on the knights the minute they show weakness.

IMO if the knights can survive until game 7, at home with Bolland back and the crowd behind them they will almost certainly win the series. That's a fairly big "if", though, considering the couple of injuries and the suspension, as well as the fact that apart from yesterday OS has been playing extremely well.

Old
04-13-2006, 12:44 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by trippyime
Watch the tape again and watch his left foot. See how as he's spinning it comes up a little bit before landing and then the right one comes flying up and all the way back? The left foot is how I'd expect him to retain his balance while spinning, the right is how I'd expect someone to kick backwards like a horse would.
I disagree. It's not the spinning the caused the right leg to come up, but the ref pulls his chest forward. The momentum of that, combined with his feet being unstable after the spin, cause his foot to slip and kick up. Personally, as a fan of neither team nor players on either team, I thought it looked accidental and unintentional.

Old
04-13-2006, 04:19 PM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasincanada
I know you weren't one of them, Gagne, but I was surprised to see how many people had written the knights off so early.
As was I.

The Attack forum was just overflowing with cockiness and I'm thinking...It's 2-1 right?

Old
04-13-2006, 04:21 PM
FearTheFlyers

BTW JrHockeyFan....not many are seeing eye to eye with you.

http://hfboards.com/poll.php?do=show...s&pollid=19071

It must be because they all hate the Knights and are so biased that they can't see it right.

Old
04-13-2006, 08:32 PM
STS44

Hey - Suspension was harsh - did anyone see the camera angle that clearly shows the linesman holding Bolland and almost pulling him into him and spinning Bolland? The action of the linesman pulling kinda forced Bollands skate out - if Angelidis was touched it was slightly and certainly not calling for a 4 game suspension. If the linesman thought Bolland was in trouble why didn't he grab Angelidis instead of Bolland? or better yet get in between them - the whole thing would have blown
very quickly ....

Anyway - after the Knights take games 5 & 6 this will all be over with

Anything further though on Mr. Hunters tirade against the Knights TV announcers?
That I thought was frustration and kinda silly. All the Rogers announcers do a great job - especially Brent Lale and Leigh Cunningham! Owen Sound guys do a great job as well!

Old
04-13-2006, 09:38 PM
London Knights

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFinalWord
I love these Knight fans. It is so absolutely, endeniably clear what Bolland was trying to do, that to refute it is laughable.

4 games is the precedent. 4 games was the right call.

Knights fans want lighter sentences because it's the playoffs? Perhaps 1 minute penalties? 3 1/2 minutes for fighting? So an instigator could get 1, 3 1/2 and a 7min misconduct. That way he's not missing such important time.

And I'm really disappointed with David's comment. I have a ton of respect of David Bolland, but I lost a bit with these comments. I would hope that he was put up to this by the ever-so-classy Hunters.

Four games was the precedent for a regular season suspension.

Regardless of what team, I'm in favour of playoff games being treated more valuable than regular season games. The refs don't call penalties the same way, the league shouldn't handle suspensions the same way.

It's completely independent of this event. 4 games was giving out in the regular season for kicks. Bolland got 4 games in the playoffs where you have 7 games max. I don't agree with that.

And Hunter is an idiot, as Knights fans we are lucky with the broadcast crew...they actually know what they are talking about when calling games...although I would agree that to have a little more home favouritism would be a little nice. Listening to completely unbiased calling half the time isn't as fun when you are watching a tense game.

Old
04-13-2006, 09:55 PM
Dig Out Your Soul
Ex Storm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by London Knights
And Hunter is an idiot, as Knights fans we are lucky with the broadcast crew...they actually know what they are talking about when calling games...although I would agree that to have a little more home favouritism would be a little nice. Listening to completely unbiased calling half the time isn't as fun when you are watching a tense game.
PM me your home address so I can mail you some Q-tips. You need to clean out those ears if you think Leigh Cunningham is completely unbiased.

Old
04-13-2006, 10:05 PM
JrHockeyFan

Lol

Quote:
BTW JrHockeyFan....not many are seeing eye to eye with you.

http://hfboards.com/poll.php?do=show...s&pollid=19071

It must be because they all hate the Knights and are so biased that they can't see it right.
Wow 11 to 2. What heavy stuff. Now that I know it is there I can vote. LOL

All hate the Knights? Who knows? Who really cares.

The fact of the matter is this. From the video the only thing that is conclusive is that contact was made with the skate. It also proves that the linesman played a role in the matter whether you care to admit it or not. There is nothing that proves intent either way. So quite frankly you, me, those 13 pollsters, or the league can't prove anything as far as intent. Which is why I thought 2 games was appropriate from the start.

On the other hand, Bolland has zero history of that kind of behaviour. So all of a sudden with a handful of games in his OHL career left he is going to try to kick Angelidis? And a pretty weak one at that? Gimme a break

Anyway, I admitted my bias off the top of the thread. On the other hand some of you pretending that you are neutral on this are just kidding yourselves. So drop the pretenses.

As for the announcer kerfuffle: I think Mark Hunter is making a big mistake there. A while back I started a thread about this topic. It is rare that I see Lale and Cunningham, but they have always struck me as being pretty competent guys who fancy themselves as semi pro journalist types. Which is okay by me. I like that. I also think Stubbs and James are pretty fair on the Knights radio. Actually Gagne I think you complained that they (Lale and Cunningham) talked about London too much as I recall. Anyway I am glad Rogers is refusing to give in.

The last thing I want is a clown like Gerry Hahn for Owen Sound doing games. The guy is such a blatant homer it makes me sick listening to him. He is far and away the worst OHL broadcast guy. His credibility is zero.

Old
04-13-2006, 10:11 PM
toomanymen

What Bolland said is downright embarassing. He seems kind of illiterate, actually. I thought he was a classy kid but what he said there is just stupid. Everything he said doesn't fit with what's on the tape. It fits with a "cover my *** until I die" mentality, which is the immature way of handling it. He really didn't say manhandle enough. He should've stepped up and apologized to the team and the fans for doing something stupid. Instead, he sounds like a whiny ***** just like Mark Hunter does. Man-up and admit it already. Of course he knows his own intents, but don't be naive enough to believe he wouldn't lie to save his own reputation!

A couple of things. One I've been told that he didn't write that (by a reliable source), which means someone needs help in damage control as well as writing.

Two-I've watched the video w/ both my green and gold goggles on and off. He tried to kick him without a doubt. Now, the kick wasn't exactly Kung Fu fighting in any way shape or form, but he did make the attempt. Four games is the rule, four games is what he gets. He should have just punched him in the face if he was that mad. Sad to say I know. The most troubling part of this whole thing to me is the spin by the Knights, and the comments about laser kicks from the OS player. Folks, let's move on to a great series. A gutsy effort by the Knights last night, and a big game tomorrow. Go Knights Go. I'll be there tomorrow, beer in hand yelling my you know what off. Good luck to all!

Old
04-13-2006, 10:15 PM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan
Actually Gagne I think you complained that they (Lale and Cunningham) talked about London too much as I recall.
What?

I don't even have Rogers.

But whatever makes you happy,dude.

Old
04-14-2006, 11:19 AM
thomasincanada

Quote:
Actually Gagne I think you complained that they (Lale and Cunningham) talked about London too much as I recall.
Quote:
What?

That was me actually...

Old
04-14-2006, 08:19 PM
JrHockeyFan

Relax

Quote:
What?

Sorry, I wasn't sure. I just thought it was you. How about half marks for remembering it at all? LOL

If you don't have Rogers you are lucky you don't have to listen to Hahn in any case.

Old
04-14-2006, 08:21 PM
JrHockeyFan

So . . .

Quote:
That was me actually...
I'd guess that you disagree with Hunter too then? LOL

Old
04-15-2006, 02:30 AM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:

If you don't have Rogers you are lucky you don't have to listen to Hahn in any case.
I know Hahn from Attack radio.

Yeah, he's a huge homer.

Old
04-15-2006, 01:37 PM
JrHockeyFan

Last nite

So did anybody see the Rogers London broadcast for Friday nite? I do not imagine much would be said, but anything unusual?

Old
04-15-2006, 01:50 PM
STS44

Nothing out of the ordinary - I like the Knights broadcast team so I thought they did their usual fine job. Was a hell of a game wasn't it though ....

Old
04-15-2006, 02:27 PM
JrHockeyFan

Outa town

Quote:
Originally Posted by STS44
Nothing out of the ordinary - I like the Knights broadcast team so I thought they did their usual fine job. Was a hell of a game wasn't it though ....
It was indeed.

I seldom get to see the broadcast crew unless I watch replays, which is rare. it's hard to tell how they are perceived by fans from other teams, but I always thought they did the job in a professional manner.

I can see why some teams want homer coverage, but they don't seem to realize that it turns fans off. Even home fans. The people who keep coming back to the rink are insulted by it.

Take Bowen for the Leafs as an example. I was listening to a playoff game on the radio driving home a couple of years back. He was describing an Alfredsson hit on Tucker. The way he went on and on about how savage it was and all I thought, wow, there must be something to it if he goes that far overboard. He was screaming match penalty and suspensions etc. I watched some TV footage on the incident later and thought to myself, how can anybody believe Bowen's radio coverage if he sells out like that. Zero credibility.

Old
04-15-2006, 06:39 PM
hockeyfan85

Mark Hunter later said that part of bringing up the broadcast issue was to try and get the pressure off of the Bolland situation. It appears to have worked here...

And I thought it sounded like it was blown out of proportion quite a bit. I saw a couple of Mark's quotes mention that there were two sides to the story and he wants both represented. I don't think that is unreasonable to ask for. And also that with the teams they have had for the last three years to have received quite a bit of criticism... I can't blame them for worrying about what will happen in the years to come when the teams aren't as strong. I think it was over-the-top to give an ultimatum about forcing guys off the air though...

Old
04-16-2006, 05:20 AM
shawnmullin

Send a message via AIM to shawnmullin Send a message via MSN to shawnmullin
Quote:
Dennis stood on his head. I know you weren't one of them, Gagne, but I was surprised to see how many people had written the knights off so early. I think there are a lot of fickle fans and even more people itching to jump on the knights the minute they show weakness.

IMO if the knights can survive until game 7, at home with Bolland back and the crowd behind them they will almost certainly win the series. That's a fairly big "if", though, considering the couple of injuries and the suspension, as well as the fact that apart from yesterday OS has been playing extremely well.
Dennis was really solid again last night. He's coming around at just the right time.

Old
04-16-2006, 05:25 AM
shawnmullin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiksilver
If these are the same two men that I am thinking of, I was under the impression that they were doing a great job. Of all the broadcasts I have listened too (from the OHL) this was by far the best duo I have heard.
On top of that, Hunter also ripped the Owen Sound crew - from the radio station I work at and Rogers (same guys mostly, just different roles on TV and radio) for being homers. So his guys aren't homer enough - but the Owen Sound guys are awful for apparently being homers. Someone give the man's head a shake.

Old
04-16-2006, 05:26 AM
shawnmullin

Quote:
So did anybody see the Rogers London broadcast for Friday nite? I do not imagine much would be said, but anything unusual?
What I found unusual about the broadcast Friday night was that they did such a rush job to get out at the end of the game, and didn't deal with the huge controversy surrounding the goal.

Old
04-16-2006, 05:29 AM
shawnmullin

Quote:
The last thing I want is a clown like Gerry Hahn for Owen Sound doing games. The guy is such a blatant homer it makes me sick listening to him. He is far and away the worst OHL broadcast guy. His credibility is zero.
Gary's a good guy with a solid call, but I'd agree he's definately an avid Attack backer on the air. He also spends too much time ripping the refs IMO. But he's talented and knows the game.

Realistically all of these guys who follow the teams to every single one of their games are going to be homers. But they're doing broadcasts for their market, so it's not a big surprise.

I think Fred Wallace is terrific, it's too bad he's not on the TV call. But it gives my boss (Manny) a chance to get in there and do colour, and I think he's even handed in his commentary. Of course I have to praise him, he signs my checks

Old
04-16-2006, 07:35 AM
JrHockeyFan

Hey

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmullin
Gary's a good guy with a solid call, but I'd agree he's definately an avid Attack backer on the air. He also spends too much time ripping the refs IMO. But he's talented and knows the game.

Realistically all of these guys who follow the teams to every single one of their games are going to be homers. But they're doing broadcasts for their market, so it's not a big surprise.

I think Fred Wallace is terrific, it's too bad he's not on the TV call. But it gives my boss (Manny) a chance to get in there and do colour, and I think he's even handed in his commentary. Of course I have to praise him, he signs my checks
I am not saying the guy is ignorant. But he does himself a disservice by calling the game the way he does. All that knowledge is wasted if you destroy your credibility.

I loved his gaff there in the 2nd period where he said: "London shoots the puck off the glass into the crowd" and then started ranting about a delay of game penalty. Then started debating if it hit a stick LOL.

Anyway, when you call a game too homer style and do radio too, people just are not going to believe what you say. Which is too bad because good fans really want to know what really happened.

I have no problem with the rest of the crew in OS at all.

As for the Owen Sound team, a splendid effort on their parts. They should have been better in the regular season, but played like I was expecting in the playoffs. I sincerely hate seeing games end on mental mistakes like game 5.

PS: Two things I'd like to see done before next year in Owen Sound: 1. That home end net fixed; it came off all year except for last night. and 2. Get the Penalty clock graphics on TV right; it gets messed up a lot.

Old
04-16-2006, 07:40 AM
JrHockeyFan

Hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnmullin
What I found unusual about the broadcast Friday night was that they did such a rush job to get out at the end of the game, and didn't deal with the huge controversy surrounding the goal.
I rarely see London games on TV since I am at the game. But I seem to recall that they seldom do much after game stuff in London anyway.

Maybe with all the flap about the announcers Lale/Cunningham they decided to stay away from any controversy.

Closed Thread