HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

JR's future- will he be next to retire?

Old
04-10-2006, 05:30 PM
puck57

vCash: 500
JR's future- will he be next to retire?

What do you think will be JR's future with the LA- is he done there and do you'all who are closer to the situation there think he might call it a career too? Any thoughts?

puck57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 05:38 PM
King Blazer

As long as there's a team willing to pay him, he'll be playing...

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 05:41 PM
Venom_17

He has said he would like to play next season.

He said he wants to stay in LA, but doubts they will have him back.

He also said he wouldn't mind playing in Canada.

I wouldn't mind seeing him back for about 1.5 on a one year deal.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 05:45 PM
swinginutter*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom_17

I'm probably the only one with you on this. He's had such a disgraceful season, but i'd bet anything he'd get in tip top shape for the next season. He owes LA fans big time with the outing he's had, and if he were to take a major pay cut (1 - 1.5), I wouldn't mind so much. Him on a third line next year with Avery and Brown wouldn't be a bad thing. I guess I don't care if he leaves either.

swinginutter* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 06:28 PM
ReggieMoto

Send a message via Yahoo to ReggieMoto
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginutter
...i'd bet anything he'd get in tip top shape for the next season.
Honestly, why in the world would you think that? I would've thought he would have been all jazzed up and in shape for the start of this season following the lockout. You know, being all excited about the league being back in business and all. I think that if the end of the lockout couldn't get him motivated - that and that big honkin' contract LA extended to him - what about his skating next year has you thinking he's going to get into shape?

ReggieMoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 06:40 PM
halco

Quote:

halco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 06:54 PM
FC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto
Honestly, why in the world would you think that? I would've thought he would have been all jazzed up and in shape for the start of this season following the lockout. You know, being all excited about the league being back in business and all. I think that if the end of the lockout couldn't get him motivated - that and that big honkin' contract LA extended to him - what about his skating next year has you thinking he's going to get into shape?
I thought he looked quite well, until he got the dreaded concussion. Granted it was only preseason, I really think the last concussion is what haunted him most all of the season. Add to that the year off, at his age couldnt have been good hockey wise for him. For his own personal health he should take the concussion factor into his decision to retire or not. Hed be a guy that would get a broadcasting job, most likely an in studio position.

FC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 07:12 PM
multiball

Send a message via AIM to multiball
Quote:
Originally Posted by swinginutter
He owes LA fans big time with the outing he's had, and if he were to take a major pay cut (1 - 1.5), I wouldn't mind so much. Him on a third line next year with Avery and Brown wouldn't be a bad thing. I guess I don't care if he leaves either.
I strangely find myself in agreement with this even with the hate I built up for him with this season. If he is used properly - as a "room leader" and energy unit guy who can potentially chip in some secondary 20 goal scoring - he *might* be good. Now whether he will agree to that role and the accompanying 750k-1m salary, I dunno. And I also don't really care a lot. Almost a take it or leave it approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReggieMoto
and that big honkin' contract LA extended to him
Technically, we didn't extend him a contract. We honored the existing one he signed with the Flyers. You may very well have been one of the overwhelming minority of folks who didn't think he be anything but a great addition to our 2nd line. I admit, I didn't see the freefall coming.

multiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 07:27 PM
kingsfan25

Wouldn't mind him coming back...he looked determined to win this last week.

And yeah, it was a bad move coming to camp out of shape...but he recognized that he ****ed up and was working the entire year to get back into shape. Granted its little consolation for 5 mil, but he showed and has shown throughout his career a drive that few on the current roster have...in fact, few in the NHL match his intensity and I don't think he's as done as his numbers this year might indicate.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 07:30 PM
hockey nut

lol - Watch him come back next season with another team and have a career year - it seems to always happen with ex-Kings.

hockey nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 07:41 PM
Quattro

Quote:
You have got to be kidding me. Any team that offers him anything over 1 year at the league minimum is out of their mind. I seriously doubt the Kings will offer him anything, especially after Lieweike specifically called him out for sucking. In case you didn't notice, he still sucked after finally getting into shape.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 07:53 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quattro
You have got to be kidding me. Any team that offers him anything over 1 year at the league minimum is out of their mind. I seriously doubt the Kings will offer him anything, especially after Lieweike specifically called him out for sucking. In case you didn't notice, he still sucked after finally getting into shape.
Whether he's with the Kings or not, he'll be better next year.

Old
04-10-2006, 08:23 PM
halco

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25
Whether he's with the Kings or not, he'll be better next year.
Then I say let him be better somewhere else. Save the money and sign a free agent or 2 who we know will produce and let the kids play. I'm tired of 20 mins a night of watching Roenick skate in circles!

halco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 09:18 PM
absolutic

Quote:

I said this before that I would keep him but for under $1,000,000. $1.5 is 2 much for his services. $750,000 still sounds a lot to pay for him. Is there a league minimum for a veteran like him?

absolutic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 09:31 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

to be honest, since he said he was what, playing only 60% or something like that, I think he should pay us back the money we spent on him that he didn't deserve for this upcoming season.

solved that problem....

savemefromtears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 10:15 PM
ILuvLA

I think that JR will play next year, just not in LA.

ILuvLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 10:39 PM
No One

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutic
I said this before that I would keep him but for under $1,000,000. $1.5 is 2 much for his services. $750,000 still sounds a lot to pay for him. Is there a league minimum for a veteran like him?
if JR's agent is smart, and I assume he his, he will NOT allow JR to sign for more than one year.

Here is why -

What players may earn in performance bonuses?

Performance bonuses will only be permissible for the following types of players: (1) players on entry-level contracts; (2) players signing one-year contracts after returning from long-term injuries (players with 400 or more games who spent 100 or more days on injured reserve in the last year of their most recent contract); and senior veteran players who sign a one-year contract after the age of 35. (nhl CBA FAQ)

No One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2006, 11:59 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by halco
Then I say let him be better somewhere else. Save the money and sign a free agent or 2 who we know will produce and let the kids play. I'm tired of 20 mins a night of watching Roenick skate in circles!
If it interferes with a bigger signing, then fine...cut him loose.

But let's assume that, since he's said he wants to return to LA and that he doesn't have all that much bargaining cred, he'll be back at a discount.

Let's also assume that every big name on the market won't be lining up to sign with what appears to be a somewhat unstable, volatile franchise.

He might be a solid investment.

Old
04-11-2006, 12:18 AM
Kingz4ever

JR wants to play for a cup contender. that means he's gone. good riddance. What cup contender would want him.

Kingz4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2006, 12:23 AM
ILuvLA

JR's got too much pride to call it quits after an abysmal year. Just watch - he will end up signing elsewhere for a lot less $$ and have a good year.

ILuvLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2006, 12:47 AM
Venom_17

Seriously, any other 3rd liner with that much experience would get 1.5.

Plus he plays hurt, he is a warrior, a leader (which this team needs), a good locker room guy and a good rep for the franchise in the market.

Venom_17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2006, 01:09 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
The hands and the footwork are gone, what games are you guys watching? You saw it with Luc as well, it's over, the NHL rewards speed and neither of those guys have it. You burn a team with the season he's had and the Kings are forced to cut him loose, it would be a terrible PR move to re-sign him and he has an even worse season than this one. Luc, JR, DT-1,2,3.

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2006, 05:55 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by halco

With Luc retiring, get rid of Cowan, Armstrong, Weaver, Avery, Belanger and bring back JR and Bure that's 3 spots open for kids, 1 of them on defense.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2006, 05:57 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4ever
JR wants to play for a cup contender. that means he's gone. good riddance. What cup contender would want him.

If he wanted to play for a Cup contender so bad, why would he put 2 teams on the list he gave to the Flyers -- one of them was Phoenix who weren't even a contender to make the playoffs

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2006, 06:42 AM
King Blazer

I spoke with Petr Kanko last night, when asked what it was like for him on his first call-up to the Kings, he cited JR, Luc and Matty as great guys that made him feel very comfortable in the room.

"They made sure I felt part of the team and didn't just throw me in a corner. I'm lucky to have had the chance to play with great players like them".

King Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote