HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Guess who's the best goal scorer since the olympic break...

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2006, 10:18 PM
Kerberos*

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Guess who's the best goal scorer since the olympic break...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/statis...=all&split=142

Old
04-10-2006, 10:20 PM
Galchenyuk x 27

vCash: 50
sweet!!

he's simplay amazing!

Old
04-10-2006, 10:21 PM
DeadPool

WOHA!

And those two guys didn't even play for their national teams at the Olympics. (They weren't even really considered either...)

Higgins is unbelievable! The future is looking very bright for us...

Old
04-10-2006, 10:23 PM
znk

I said it before

Higgins > Ovechkin

Old
04-10-2006, 10:25 PM
greatlakeshab

A lot of people said Higgins didn't have the scoring touch. Lets hope he isn't another one year wonder Gilbert Dionne

Old
04-10-2006, 10:30 PM
HabsoluteFate

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakeshab
A lot of people said Higgins didn't have the scoring touch. Lets hope he isn't another one year wonder Gilbert Dionne
Doubt it...i've never seen Dionne play but Higgins is a hard worker and deserves what he is getting...I'm not saying he will keep going at this pace but I have no reason to believe he wont continue to play well. Ryder didn't do well 2 years ago in the playoffs...with Higgins and his hard work I think he will have good playoffs...wether they last 1 round or more...

Old
04-10-2006, 10:31 PM
Vicious

Send a message via MSN to Vicious
That lasted a whole hour or so Cheechoo netted two.

Old
04-10-2006, 10:35 PM
Turbo

Cheechoo has 2 goals so far tonight, so he takes the lead again... doesn't take anything away from Higgins' accomplishment though. This guy will be a major part of the Habs for years to come.

Old
04-10-2006, 10:36 PM
Malakhov

Send a message via MSN to Malakhov
And Cheechoo is playing with Thornton and averaging an extra 5 minutes per game

Higgins is awesome!

Old
04-10-2006, 10:49 PM
Quiet Robert

I'm very excited at the way Higgins is playing, but I think a lot of us are getting carried away with him. I know some of the responses are jokes, but I've seen people say he has 35-40 goal upside and those types of things.

Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I see him toping out as a 55+ point guy who is very good at all facets of the game and brings all the intangibles you need to win. You need players like Higgins to win championships, but his offensive upside has been considerably overrated recently on this board imo.

Old
04-10-2006, 10:58 PM
Kerberos*

Send a message via ICQ to   Kerberos* Send a message via MSN to   Kerberos*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet Robert
I'm very excited at the way Higgins is playing, but I think a lot of us are getting carried away with him. I know some of the responses are jokes, but I've seen people say he has 35-40 goal upside and those types of things.

Maybe I'm a pessimist, but I see him toping out as a 55+ point guy who is very good at all facets of the game and brings all the intangibles you need to win. You need players like Higgins to win championships, but his offensive upside has been considerably overrated recently on this board imo.
Higgins isn't a pure goalscorer, he's the garbage-goal scorer type: all his goals are scored on rebounds or plays in close to the net. He's the type of player we've been missing for years now: a player who can stay in front of the net and is talented enough to push in rebounds.

Old
04-10-2006, 11:22 PM
The n00b King *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerberos
Higgins isn't a pure goalscorer, he's the garbage-goal scorer type: all his goals are scored on rebounds or plays in close to the net. He's the type of player we've been missing for years now: a player who can stay in front of the net and is talented enough to push in rebounds.
i disagree. he's roofed quite a few goals and scored some nice ones. the goal against brodeur was a shot that went through a teeny opening. He's a solid all-around player. And i do see him pot in 40 goals in a season. Why? Because he's like the only guy on our team that GOES to the net...

Old
04-10-2006, 11:22 PM
LeHab

I say he got an aimbot.

Old
04-10-2006, 11:25 PM
Teufelsdreck

I very much enjoy watching Higgins play. The Habs haven't had his like for quite some time. Some fans see him as a 35-40 goal scorer but I'd be more than satisfied with consistent 25-30 goal seasons throughout a long Habs career.

Old
04-10-2006, 11:26 PM
Belarus Rocket

Send a message via MSN to Belarus Rocket
I think Higgins as all the tools and the potential to be a good 20 goals scorer In this league,like an other poster said,somewhere between 50 points per season Is what I think Higgins will give to this team In the future.And serisously with all the hard work he Is doing In front of the net and along the boards for the team,I think 20 goals Is really good

Old
04-10-2006, 11:33 PM
Quiet Robert

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaolin_goon
And i do see him pot in 40 goals in a season. Why? Because he's like the only guy on our team that GOES to the net...
There are currently 9 players with more than 40 goals this year. At most we might see 12 this year. Is Higgins really going to be one of the top 10 goalscorers in the league? I just don't see it. He goes to the net, and I love him for that, but 1 goal every 2 games just doesn't seem to be something Higgins will be able to do.

Old
04-10-2006, 11:39 PM
BigTimer*

Anyone notice that since the Olympic break Higgins has a 29.4% shooting percentage which is insane.

Old
04-10-2006, 11:39 PM
speed11

i don't have this avatar for show ;p

Old
04-10-2006, 11:56 PM
Mike8

Higgins is close to being a pure goal scorer. He's not a garbage-goal-getter as he's got a great shot from around the slot & hash marks. People that went to camp 2-3 years ago saw it, and that shot's beating NHL netminders. It's a top-shelf shot, so it's built to beat the butterfly goaltenders. Very quick release, but I'm a bit worried since that seems to be his only real shot. Otherwise all his goals are of the garbage-goal variety.

Anyway, also keep in mind that Higgins tends to score in bunches and towards the end of the season. This isn't new for him. See how he does the whole year next year before claiming he's a 35+ goal scorer. I initially felt he'd score 25-30 goals in his prime (and 35 points this year max) ... so we'll see.

Old
04-11-2006, 06:10 AM
All-Star

Higgins has always been a second half kind of player. Don't be dissapointed when he starts slowly next season...

Edit: Damn you mike8!

Old
04-11-2006, 06:20 AM
Bunka Gurndeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ark1
I say he got an aimbot.
ROFL! Post of the day

Old
04-11-2006, 06:48 AM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatlakeshab
I don't think so. Gilbert could never skate. Combine that with a lousy, me first, work ethic, and you had a player destined to be a no one. A blip. Higgins is everything Dionne never was. A strong, and fast, skater. Selfless. A tireless worker. Responsible defensively.

I'm not sure what Chris' ceiling is. I think his run to finish the season is more than a fluke. I think he has a great combination of sniping ability and garbage cleaning skill. Can he do it long term? I hope so. I would be exceedingly happy if Chris became a consistant 30g and nearly a point a game man for us for the duration of his career.

Old
04-11-2006, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8
Higgins is close to being a pure goal scorer. He's not a garbage-goal-getter as he's got a great shot from around the slot & hash marks. People that went to camp 2-3 years ago saw it, and that shot's beating NHL netminders. It's a top-shelf shot, so it's built to beat the butterfly goaltenders. Very quick release, but I'm a bit worried since that seems to be his only real shot. Otherwise all his goals are of the garbage-goal variety.

Anyway, also keep in mind that Higgins tends to score in bunches and towards the end of the season. This isn't new for him. See how he does the whole year next year before claiming he's a 35+ goal scorer. I initially felt he'd score 25-30 goals in his prime (and 35 points this year max) ... so we'll see.
Agreed...the thing is though, is that he's beating goalie's clean with his shot, think back to the Brodeur goal on Saturday night, there wasn't much room and it looked easy for him. What I love about Higgins is in and around the slot, he's money in the bank he doesn't waste his opportunities. I think that's something we've lacked the last few years, too many times i've seen Zednik, Bulis for example being in the clear and putting it right into the goalies chest. Higgins just knows where to be in the crease to score, when to seperate from his man, etc.

I've always thought Higgins had 25-30 goals and 65-70 pts type of potential, but he's shown that he might have even more potential than that like you said, he's also shown a propensity for scoring in bunches, especially late in the season...so the jury is still out.

But one thing is for sure, this run he's on has been great and been a large factor in us pretty much securing a playoff spot.

Old
04-11-2006, 08:03 AM
e-e

Quote:
Originally Posted by znk
I said it before

Higgins > Ovechkin
as much as we love higging we should go that far

Old
04-11-2006, 09:55 AM
Montreal4Life

vCash: 3978
What I find impressive is that the next Habs players on that list are Kovalev and Ryder with 6 goals each since the break and u have to go way down the list to find them. Considering all the goals we've been getting lately, it shows how everybody contributes. If r stars don't contribute, hey, not a problem, someone else will *cough* Downey & Murray *cough* cough*

Closed Thread