HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Predict our lines for next year

Old
04-11-2006, 01:11 PM
SmokeyClause

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Predict our lines for next year

We've done this before and with the playoffs drawing closer, I thought I'd take a quick peak at next year. What do you think our opening night lines are going to be for next year? Include within your post all of the relevant acquisitions and departures necessary to get us to this point. Guess our budget next year and, if you want, base your analysis on that. I have two trains of thought: We either pick up a top 2 center through the trade market or we pick up one via the UFA market. I'm debating each point because the ramifications of each are large because I think we'll trade off our current roster to pick up the center we want (if we go that route). I am struggling with the answer to our center riddles and would love to see how those in Predland feel we will solve our problems.

And it gets even more complex as if we let both Markov and Witt go, I think we need another top 4 to fill their spot. Ideally I'd like to bring Markov back, but I think he'll ask for a lot of money. Lot's of possibilities out there for the Preds. Thoughts?

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2006, 02:07 PM
vopatsrash

here's my shot...

Timonen-Hamhuis
Witt-Suter/cheap veteran
Weber-cheap veteran/Klein

-After 2 straight seasons of a Zidlicky-less playoffs, he is dealt.
-Eaton might be the cheap veteran, depending on who is available by trade/UFA and how cheap he is.
-poile will choose witt (1st round pick cost) over markov (too expensive)
-due to center acquisition/budget, poile will opt to hope Weber and Hamhuis continue to step up into roles that we probably need a veteran to fill.

Kariya-Richards/Top Center-Radulov
Hartnell-Sillinger-Sullivan
Upshall-Legwand-Walker
Hordichuck/Tootoo-Smithson/UFA-Hall

-(edit) Tootoo and Hordichuck alternate depending on how hot the player is or who the opponent is.

-Preds decide they need a top level center as a team and also as a complement to Kariya and Radulov and package some combination of Erat, Zidlicky, and/or one of Suter/Parent/Klein in trade(s) for as top a center as they can afford (Richards as an example), and/or a cheap veteran d-man, and/or picks.

-I say the better of Hall and walker would be on the legwand line, but I think Walker is due to be better next year, so I put him on the third.

-Tough to say who they'd choose between Silly and YP. YP has been here longer, but Silly came at more of a cost. Something tells me that YP might opt to return to Canada in some way and might be priced out anyway. While YP seems to have fit in well, Silly seems like more of a "Predators culture" kind of guy (from afar).

-Johnson retires or goes to play for a Canadian team, Detroit (home), or St Louis with his brother as a last hurrah.

-I think they cut ties on Nichol, due to the injuries.

-I feel like i'm forgetting someone obvious that would blow this scenario apart.

Last edited by vopatsrash: 04-11-2006 at 02:21 PM.
vopatsrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2006, 02:15 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I would say Tootoo makes the team next year full time.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2006, 02:19 PM
vopatsrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman
I would say Tootoo makes the team next year full time.
Yep. I'd say he's kind of obvious.

Old
04-11-2006, 02:23 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

As much as it pains me to say. Adam Hall seems like he's doing everything in his powers to be replaced next season.

Old
04-11-2006, 02:26 PM
dulzhok

Poile, Trotz, and Co know that Vokoun and our schedule have made us seem better than we are. Improvement is needed for both our forwards and defense.

I don’t think there is a great option via UFA for our scoring line center, unless Sakic miraculous decides to shop around. I’ve suggested Marty Reasoner for a 3rd line center.

I see one of Sillinger or Perreault being resigned to a 1-year deal, assuming the price is right.

I’d be willing to give up big time assets to reel in a bonafied scoringline center via trade. Brad Richards, Malkin, Carter, whatever. Ya, some of these guys might not be available, but we’ve got to make a play for it, and if one the like becomes available, we need to be right there bidding for him.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2006, 02:27 PM
SmokeyClause

I'd love to see us make a play for Richards. I think a top notch first pairing Dmen and top notch first line center are the only things that we need to be considered favorites. I think the latter is a more pressing need though both types are available. If we land Richards and pay him 6-7 mil, we are going to have a payroll next year of between 33-37 million. I think that pushes up towards the max we will spend next year.

Old
04-11-2006, 02:28 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
As much as it pains me to say. Adam Hall seems like he's doing everything in his powers to be replaced next season.
Agreed, there seem like there is going to be at least one odd man out and I think Adam will be one of them. We'll miss his size, but considering how little he has used it this year, his loss won't kill us.

Old
04-11-2006, 02:31 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok
Poile, Trotz, and Co know that Vokoun and our schedule have made us seem better than we are. Improvement is needed for both our forwards and defense.

I don’t think there is a great option via UFA for our scoring line center, unless Sakic miraculous decides to shop around. I’ve suggested Marty Reasoner for a 3rd line center.

I see one of Sillinger or Perreault being resigned to a 1-year deal, assuming the price is right.

I’d be willing to give up big time assets to reel in a bonafied scoringline center via trade. Brad Richards, Malkin, Carter, whatever. Ya, some of these guys might not be available, but we’ve got to make a play for it, and if one the like becomes available, we need to be right there bidding for him.
The options on the UFA market are what? Arnott, Briere, Savard? What else? None of those guys makes me too happy save for Arnott, we will likely be overpaid by the likes of Edmonton, Chicago, or Montreal. I think he'll command close around 5 mil, maybe even more and that's just way too much to give up for him. And that sucks because he's a good option for the Preds and fits a lot of needs. But he's not worth that price.

I wonder how realistic a trade is for us? We've been needing one for a few years now and nothing but a few minor pickups have occurred on the center front.

Old
04-11-2006, 03:00 PM
vopatsrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Agreed, there seem like there is going to be at least one odd man out and I think Adam will be one of them. We'll miss his size, but considering how little he has used it this year, his loss won't kill us.
I agree on Hall being on the bubble with his play this season and it'd be justified to look for a better version of him out there. He, like Legwand, could be ripe for a change of scenery trade for a person of similar situation (if it even exists...).

But he's a 6'3 guy on a small team that has averaged 14 goals a season, has scored some clutch goals during his career, is supposedly good in the room, and he makes $600,000. Unless he somehow commands a raise not in line with his production, I think he could be given another chance to see if he has one more level to his game.

I question whether the extra level is there, but he could be too cheap to pass up for that role if they are up against a budget wall.

Old
04-11-2006, 03:10 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
The options on the UFA market are what? Arnott, Briere, Savard? What else? None of those guys makes me too happy save for Arnott, we will likely be overpaid by the likes of Edmonton, Chicago, or Montreal. I think he'll command close around 5 mil, maybe even more and that's just way too much to give up for him. And that sucks because he's a good option for the Preds and fits a lot of needs. But he's not worth that price.

I wonder how realistic a trade is for us? We've been needing one for a few years now and nothing but a few minor pickups have occurred on the center front.
Yeah, I’m pretty hesitant with Arnott. He’s having a great year, but he has such a history of inconsistency. Whoever signs him is taking a big risk, especially if they give him something like a 5 year deal. I think he could be the typical contract year type player.

In terms of trade, I think we’re in a different position this year vs. previous years. #1) We are overstocked with assets. We really have too many top 6 wingers (Walker, Sully, Erat, Kariya, Hartnell, Radulov, Upshall) and a surplus of young defensemen. With guys like Parent, Weber, and Klein emerging as almost sure-fire NHL defenseman this year, there’s got to be some movement on that end. #2) We are in a position to contend this offseason for the first time… so there’s really no better time than now to pull off a trade for a scoringline center.

Old
04-11-2006, 03:12 PM
dulzhok

RE: Hall

You can't think his trade value is that high. But maybe he could be a throw in as part of a bigger trade.

If the only thing he brings back is 3rd rd pick or something, we'd be better off to keep him for depth.

Old
04-11-2006, 03:35 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Hall isn't under contract after this season much like Erat.

Old
04-11-2006, 04:04 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Hall isn't under contract after this season much like Erat.
Add Zidlicky, Legwand, Hartnell, Upshall, Hamhuis (the other RFAs).

You've got to think that Hall, Legwand, Upshall, and Hamhuis can't command much of a raise. Hartnell and Erat could probably get a decent raise (not huge though). Zid could look for a huge one.

Old
04-11-2006, 04:06 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Add Zidlicky, Legwand, Hartnell, Upshall, Hamhuis (the other RFAs).

You've got to think that Hall, Legwand, Upshall, and Hamhuis can't command much of a raise. Hartnell and Erat could probably get a decent raise (not huge though). Zid could look for a huge one.
I agree. I think injuries are going to hurt Zids raise.

BTW, did you here that Vokoun might be out for the season?

Old
04-11-2006, 04:30 PM
dulzhok

It will be intersting to see what we do with the RFAs who are a year away from UFA (Zid, Legwand). One year deals? Or go for multi-year? Do they want multi-year deals?

I think Zidlicky is the most likely to be traded of all our guys, especially if he demands a big-#ss raise. He should have some pretty good trade value. Also, if guys like Zid and Legwand only want 1 year deals, that will make them more likely to be traded, as it's a good indication they plan on bolting next year.

Hartnell is 2 years from UFA. Do we offer him a 1 yr, then go for multi-year next year? Or do we go the Chechoo/Zetteberg route and offer him a 5 year deal? It'd be great if we could get him locked up to 5 yrs/10 million or something. I'd like to do the same thing for Erat, but at a slightly lower rate.

I think Kariya has done a decent job for us, but I have a hard time seeing him on our roster past this year. Sullivan is locked up for 3 more years, and having one aging small veteran is enough. The $4.5 million can be better used somewhere else. As tempting as it would be to move Kariya this offseason, we need to hold on to him for PR reasons. I'd look terrible for us to move the first ever UFA of significance that signs with us.

Old
04-11-2006, 05:01 PM
Testify

Really a chance that Radu cracks the Preds roster??

Testify is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2006, 05:08 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Testify
Really a chance that Radu cracks the Preds roster??
IMO, it depends on who, if anyone, is moved. If no one is moved, I think he starts the year in Milwaukee.

When we trade for Malkin, it would nice to have Radulov on his wing, though

Old
04-11-2006, 11:13 PM
Stars-Preds

I think Radulov has a great chance at making the Preds roster next season. They may start him out in Milwaukee but I expect he will be with the Preds full-time by the All-star break.

He looked better offensively than a majority of the players on our current roster in training camp and he dominated the juniors this season. I'm sure we'll see some growing pains and some time back and forth between Milwaukee and Nashville but I'm guessing he will be on the roster at some point.

Stars-Preds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2006, 01:27 PM
SmokeyClause

Now that the playoffs are over and certain players stepped up while others stepped back, any one else with thoughts on our lines for next year?

Old
05-02-2006, 02:00 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

I know I'm a bigger fan of Erat now than I was before. I also now seriously doubt Perreault is brought back.

Old
05-03-2006, 08:52 AM
SmokeyClause

Quote:
With the utter collapse of the Flyers, one has to wonder just how valuable a player like Kevin Klein or Ryan Suter would be to them. Their defense looked old and slow. Only one or two Flyers defensemen seemed to be able to keep up with the speedier Buffalo forwards. Before this playoffs, I would have said that Bobby Clarke would have really liked to have someone like Suter or Klein but wouldn't give enough to get him. Afterwards, I think his opinion of players like these just skyrocketed. It doesn't hurt that one of Klein's only NHL games was against the Flyers, and that he was very physical despite his only average size (6'1" 200).

Suter and Klein aren't the big bruisers that he loves so much, but it's not size that kills in this new NHL. It is speed. And both these players are excellent skaters with strong top end speed and great mobility/acceleration. And though the Flyers had a successful regular season considering the injuries, Clarke will react based on the playoffs because success there is the end goal. The need for players like Klein, who can step into a 4/5 role immediately and affordably with upside for much more, is quite high.

Now might be the time we can leverage this in an attempt to land one of the Flyers centers.

Old
05-03-2006, 12:37 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
With the utter collapse of the Flyers, one has to wonder just how valuable a player like Kevin Klein or Ryan Suter would be to them. Their defense looked old and slow. Only one or two Flyers defensemen seemed to be able to keep up with the speedier Buffalo forwards. Before this playoffs, I would have said that Bobby Clarke would have really liked to have someone like Suter or Klein but wouldn't give enough to get him. Afterwards, I think his opinion of players like these just skyrocketed. It doesn't hurt that one of Klein's only NHL games was against the Flyers, and that he was very physical despite his only average size (6'1" 200).

Suter and Klein aren't the big bruisers that he loves so much, but it's not size that kills in this new NHL. It is speed. And both these players are excellent skaters with strong top end speed and great mobility/acceleration. And though the Flyers had a successful regular season considering the injuries, Clarke will react based on the playoffs because success there is the end goal. The need for players like Klein, who can step into a 4/5 role immediately and affordably with upside for much more, is quite high.

Now might be the time we can leverage this in an attempt to land one of the Flyers centers.
I agree that there might be a window of opportunity.

My first choice is still Malkin, however unreasonable that is.

Old
05-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Joe T Choker
Wookin' Pa Nub in...

Quote:

Malkin wants to come over BUT he SIGNED a contract with his current Russian club last summer which takes him to the year either '07-08 OR '08-09

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2006, 01:04 PM
SmokeyClause

Quote:

Well, I would agree that in a perfect world, he'd be the better fit over guys like Richards, Carter, etc. I'd rather have Crosby though. He could make Hartnell a 50 goal guy without blinking. But neither is going anywhere for the time being unless the new GM comes in with a built-in dislike of either Malkin or Crosby.

When you look at the talent that Philadelphia has at center and the lack of talent/mobility they have on the blue line, I think a deal could be struck. I think a Klein + could fetch a really nice package, and Suter + could get us whatever we wanted outside of maybe a couple of players. I'd be more than willing to part with Suter and try to ice this lineup next year…

XXX - Timonen
Weber - Hamhuis
Eaton - Klein

If that XXX is a pretty solid, physical defenseman, we'll be in good shape. Phillippe Boucher could have been a nice fit there…

Other options both good/bad that are out there include:
Jay McKee
Wade Redden
Zdeno Chara
Bryan McCabe
Pavel Kubina
Rob Blake
Ed Jovanovski
Keith Carney
Ruslan Salei
Willie Mitchell