HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

GDT: Flyers VS Devils

Closed Thread

Old
10-30-2003, 04:41 PM
Teezax

vCash: 500
Despite the goals we let in, i think we had a pretty good period. Man what a game, it's playoff hockey out there. Let's hope the O&B go in and score the GWG in the third.

GO FLYERS!!!!

Old
sgagne12

Send a message via AIM to sgagne12
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerfanofthepeg
was it me or was Therian screening Hackett for the second goal
No, it wasn't just you, Hackett never saw it.

Old
Liquidrage*

The Devil's were the benefactor's of three of the worst calls you'll ever see.

OK, the 1st one that led to the tying goal wasn't the worst call ever, just the wrong call. A clear cut dive that was missed.

But the two on Pitkanen were BS to the 10th degree he gets roughed up and slashed while the ref if looking at it and yet HE goes?

And then the phantom interference call.

Totally horrible.

Oh, and if anyone tries to say it's spilled milk or the calls even out. Screw you. Those calls sucked, no excuse for them. Totally disgusting calls. They effect the game whether you like it or not and so far the calls haven't evened out they've favored one team and one team only.

Old
10-30-2003, 04:43 PM
sgagne12

Send a message via AIM to sgagne12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidrage
Oh, and if anyone tries to say it's spilled milk or the calls even out. Screw you. Those calls sucked, no excuse for them. Totally disgusting calls. They effect the game whether you like it or not and so far the calls haven't evened out they've favored one team and one team only.

DITTO!

Old
10-30-2003, 04:55 PM
PF

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonMacIsaac
So was the langenbrunner call...

I always wanted Stevens on the pp, he always had such a hard shot, imagine if he was used as an offensive dmen for his whole carrer.
Congratulations on Stevens getting onto the Powerplay, I'm really, really happy for you.

Old
10-30-2003, 04:59 PM
Winston Wolf

These refs need to be hung by their balls, though I doubt they have any.

Old
10-30-2003, 05:09 PM
John Flyers Fan

Flyers need to step up the play.

devils have really taken it too him in the 3rd period.

I thought Hackett has looked shakey all night.

That 3rd goal was horriffic.

Old
10-30-2003, 05:09 PM
Winston Wolf

These refs might have blown the game for us. We lost all momentum after those sh***y calls and have never been able to get any of it back.

Old
10-30-2003, 05:10 PM
Liquidrage*

Yeah, NJ's carried the play most of the game.

I don't think the Flyers can step it up here. There's a reason why we saw the 2nd Rnd as a moral victory and they have their names on the cup.

They play as a team and we find scapegoats.

Old
10-30-2003, 05:25 PM
PF

Well, we lost that one but there's a whole lot more games this season. 5 more games in this series alone so really folks don't treat this like the year's just been written off

Laters.

Old
10-30-2003, 05:27 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Yeah, NJ's carried the play most of the game.

I don't think the Flyers can step it up here. There's a reason why we saw the 2nd Rnd as a moral victory and they have their names on the cup.

They play as a team and we find scapegoats.
I wouldn't say the Devils carried most of the game. They did however carry the 3rd period.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:00 PM
John Flyers Fan

Other notes from the game:

Positives:

Gagne - scored a goal tonight, on a sweet move. Also took some big time hits and kept coming back.

Kapanen - although undersized, he did some great work along the boards

Negatives:

LeClair - I thought he struggled tonight in a higher tempo game, and he has to puck that puck in the net in the 2nd period to regain the lead

Size - I though we missed Brahear & Somik tonight. 2 of our bigger and better players along the boards, controlling the puck etc.

Hackett - looked like he was trying to do too much out ther tonight. he's at his best when he's moving as little as possible. Horrendous 3rd goal.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:05 PM
Blackjack

Sorry to bother you guys, just wondering what Gagne's goal looked like. I remember last year on a breakway he was coming down the left wing, pulled the puck back like he was gonna shoot it, then did an unbelievable deke to his backhand as he crossed the crease. Brodeur actually saved it, but it took a full body dive. Just wondering if he used the same move today, cuase it was one of the sweetest moves I've ever seen. (In fact, I try to do it when I get on breakaways in open hockey, too bad I'm no Gagne)

Old
10-30-2003, 06:12 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack
Sorry to bother you guys, just wondering what Gagne's goal looked like. I remember last year on a breakway he was coming down the left wing, pulled the puck back like he was gonna shoot it, then did an unbelievable deke to his backhand as he crossed the crease. Brodeur actually saved it, but it took a full body dive. Just wondering if he used the same move today, cuase it was one of the sweetest moves I've ever seen. (In fact, I try to do it when I get on breakaways in open hockey, too bad I'm no Gagne)
Very similar move, but this time when he went to the backhand instead of just sliding it on the ice he roofed it upstairs on the backhand.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:20 PM
Teezax

@#$% ME!!!

These freakin Devils always seem to score on command against us.
I really thought we had them after the 1st, big downer, well if we look at the positives, we played 2 good periods and one mediocre period...not bad considering the physical battle last night against the Panthers. We should be better against them with Brash and Somik in the lineup for next game.
Looking forward to the Home and Home.
At least it's Friday tomorrow

Sorry I let you down boys, 4 for 4 would have been sweet.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:35 PM
Blackjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
Very similar move, but this time when he went to the backhand instead of just sliding it on the ice he roofed it upstairs on the backhand.
yeah, Brodeur was totally sprawled out in the crease, I remember thinking that if Gagne had been able to get the puck up at all Broduer wouldn't have had a prayer. I guess Simon thought the same thing.

Old
10-30-2003, 06:38 PM
Dr Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teezax
Sorry I let you down boys, 4 for 4 would have been sweet.
Teezax, I need to see you in my office immediately. Bring your playbook.

Old
10-30-2003, 07:22 PM
NJDevs430

You gotta admit...that was a hell of a game.
Both teams deserved at least one point from this. This is what hockey is all about.
}:-)>
Did any of you see Jeremy Roenick on Pardon The Interruption trying to convince those knuckleheads what a great game hockey is? He made a good plea, but I think it went in two ears and out the others...they'd rather talk up LeBron James.
Hopefully, they watched this game...maybe they'll even attend a game without badmouthing it for once. ESPN should get them seats right up against the glass for a game like this - Flyers/Devils; Blues/Hawks; Avs/Wings; Bruins/Habs - something with a lot of juice... This was a showcase game for the NHL. Good job by both teams and good job by JR.

Old
10-30-2003, 11:07 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs430
You gotta admit...that was a hell of a game.
Both teams deserved at least one point from this. This is what hockey is all about.
}:-)>
Did any of you see Jeremy Roenick on Pardon The Interruption trying to convince those knuckleheads what a great game hockey is? He made a good plea, but I think it went in two ears and out the others...they'd rather talk up LeBron James.
Hopefully, they watched this game...maybe they'll even attend a game without badmouthing it for once. ESPN should get them seats right up against the glass for a game like this - Flyers/Devils; Blues/Hawks; Avs/Wings; Bruins/Habs - something with a lot of juice... This was a showcase game for the NHL. Good job by both teams and good job by JR.
yeah i agree, it was a great game to bad we had to lose it. freaking Devils allways seem to get these no name guys to come up and get a game deciding goal.
But all in all consitering, it was our 3rd game in 4 nights and the back end of a physical game with Florida, we still had a chance to win it in the 3rd. I just felt thou they were running on fumes by the 3rd period and didnt have much left.
Now to ESPN for a minute. I am very close to boycotting the network, when they had just hockey and no hoops how many games were they showing a week. 2, 3 maybe? now it seems they will have a NBA game every freaking night of the week.
they can go blah,blah, blah all they want over the ratings all they want its a bunch of freaking bs. no they have to show the world series of poker, the spelling bee instead of hockey. yeah there has been a few games this week but once we get into the NBA season by a few weeks hockey will probably go buh bye. screw ESPN as far as i am concerned. i will buy the NHL center ice package instead.

Old
10-31-2003, 02:40 AM
Liquidrage*

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
I wouldn't say the Devils carried most of the game. They did however carry the 3rd period.

They carried the 2nd as well.
Except when we were on the power play. But then, our PP didn't look too good. Lots of special teams in the 2nd, theirs looked better.

The 1st was ours on the scorebaord alone, not in terms of carrying play. That would probably be called a draw.

They outshot us in every period and for the game 28 - 16.

I can't say we ever carried the play. We got up early then let them take it to us. They out hit us, got to lose pucks, and showed more skill then we did.

It was a humbling loss.

Old
10-31-2003, 04:06 AM
Teezax

Guys just be pleased with the fact that the Devils put just about everything on the ice tonight while we were fatigued from the week and still made it a one goal game. Take that miserable goal away and we would have easily gotten at least a point out of this effort. And Doctor Love, i'll be in your office shortly, let me just get myself a coffee and muffin.

Old
10-31-2003, 04:13 AM
NJDevs430

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
...no they have to show the world series of poker, the spelling bee instead of hockey. yeah there has been a few games this week but once we get into the NBA season by a few weeks hockey will probably go buh bye...
Don't forget the cheerleading (as a "sport"), kick-boxing, dancing and log-rolling.
}:-(>
What? No lacrosse? Now that would be cool!
Oh...and the ProBass tourney too...

Old
10-31-2003, 04:24 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
They carried the 2nd as well.
Except when we were on the power play. But then, our PP didn't look too good. Lots of special teams in the 2nd, theirs looked better.

The 1st was ours on the scorebaord alone, not in terms of carrying play. That would probably be called a draw.

They outshot us in every period and for the game 28 - 16.

I can't say we ever carried the play. We got up early then let them take it to us. They out hit us, got to lose pucks, and showed more skill then we did.

It was a humbling loss.

New Jersey is notorius for under counting opponents shots on goal (one reason why Marty's sv% is always so low)

The only time New Jersey carried the play in the first 2 periods was when they were on the PP.

In the 3rd period New Jersey carried the play for most of the period.

The game was even through 2 periods, and ew Jersey asserted control in the 3rd.

Old
10-31-2003, 04:31 AM
Stonehands77

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
i will buy the NHL center ice package instead.
I did this for this season, after getting insanely frustrated with ESPN's hockey coverage last year (namely, the 4 or 5 Flyers' games they said they would show, then didn't), and it rocks. Well, I did miss the one game I had my brother over to watch (the Pens game the first weekend) due to technical difficulties, but otherwise, you get 'em all. The only downside is sometimes you have to deal with crappy announcers. Yes, even worse then Gary Thorne and Bill Clement (who still can't get some of the calls right even after looking at the replay). I'm still trying to sort out how the pick which feed to use. I thought for a while it was the visiting team's feed, but last night they had the Devils' feed. Very confusing, I must say.

As for the game, the refs were indeed horrible. That phantom interference call alone would have me ticked off, the crap called on Pitkanen was enough to push it over the top. What game were they watching out there???

Anyway, nice goal by Gagne...that move was sweet, and Brodeur had no chance on that one. Other than that, the Flyers could not match the Devils. And the PP needs to execute better. It looked awful most of the time last night. I know NJ is one of the better penalty killin teams in the league, but still...the Flyers must improve on their special teams. Oh, and their aim...move a couple of shots an inch or two in, and the Flyers win this game 4-2. That was ridiculous. Ah well...bring on the next game! Should be another good one.

Old
10-31-2003, 04:44 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5775
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevs430
Don't forget the cheerleading (as a "sport"), kick-boxing, dancing and log-rolling.
}:-(>
What? No lacrosse? Now that would be cool!
Oh...and the ProBass tourney too...

To go a little off topic here, if you notice, Lacrosse is mostly a Canadian sport. It's biggest draw is Toronto, with Philly being 2nd. It's simply not American. Much like how you dont hear about curling or cricket on ESPN. I can't explain the whole soccer thing though.

To keep this on topic, for 40 minutes I was happy with the Flyers play, Scott Stevens even handed Simon Gagne the puck.

However one of the biggest things that separates the men from the boys and that is the 3rd period. The Devils were good, the Flyers were not. This is not more evident than the brutal goal Hackett let up in a close game, for yet the 3rd straight game he's played in.

Closed Thread