HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Draft Drawing Announced

Old
04-11-2006, 09:35 PM
ILuvLA

vCash: 500
Draft Drawing Announced

Per nhl.com

[SIZE=2]" NHL Draft drawing to be conducted April 20

NEW YORK --- The National Hockey League Draft Drawing, a weighted lottery system to determine the order of selection for the first 14 picks of the 2006 Entry Draft, will take place Thursday, April 20, at 12 p.m., ET, at the NHL's New York office.

The Draft Drawing will involve clubs that do not qualify for this seasons Stanley Cup Playoffs, or clubs that acquired the first-round drafting positions of those non-playoff clubs. The Draft Drawing result does not affect the draft order for the remainder of the first round and rounds two through seven.

The club selected in the Draft Drawing may not move up more than four positions in the draft order. Thus the only clubs with the opportunity to receive the first overall selection are the five clubs with the lowest regular-season point totals (or clubs that acquired those clubs first-round drafting positions). No club can move down more than one position as a result of the Draft Drawing.

Under the weighted lottery system, the club with the fewest regular-season points will have the greatest chance (25%) of winning the Draft Drawing and will pick no lower than second at the 2006 Entry Draft.

Fourteen balls, numbered 1-14, will be placed in a lottery machine and four will be expelled, forming a series of numbers. There are 1,001 numerical combinations possible, and one combination has been eliminated to make the odds equitable. A probability chart divides the possible combinations among the 14 participating clubs.

The four-digit series that results from the expulsion of the balls will be compared to the probability chart to determine the team to which that combination has been assigned. If the eliminated series is drawn, a 0.1% probability, the drawing will be re-held immediately.

After the club selected moves up, the balance of the first 14 draft selections are adjusted by one, with the appropriate clubs moving down one slot to accommodate the winner, if necessary.

The current percentage chance of being selected in the Draft Drawing is as follows, based on inverse order of finish among non-playoff clubs:

30th 25.0%
29th 18.8%
28th 14.2%
27th 10.7%
26th 8.1%
25th 6.2%
24th 4.7%
23rd 3.6%
22nd 2.7%
21st 2.1%
20th 1.5%
19th 1.1%
18th 0.8%
17th 0.5%

"The 2006 NHL Entry Draft will take place at General Motors Place in Vancouver on Saturday, June 24 at 3 p.m., Pacific time.

Results of Previous Draft Drawings

Year Selected Effect On Draft Order Player Selected

1995 Los Angeles Moved from 7th to 3rd D Aki Berg
1996 Ottawa Retained 1st selection D Chris Phillips
1997 Boston Retained 1st selection C Joe Thornton
1998 Tampa Bay Moved from 3rd to 1st via trades C Vincent Lecavalier
1999 Chicago Moved from 8th to 4th RW Pavel Brendl *
2000 NY Islanders Moved from 5th to 1st G Rick DiPietro
2001 Atlanta Moved from 3rd to 1st LW Ilya Kovalchuk
2002 Florida Moved from 3rd to 1st LW Rick Nash **
2003 Florida Moved from 4th to 1st G Marc-Andre Fleury ***
2004 Washington Moved from 3rd to 1st LW Alexander Ovechkin
2005 Pittsburgh n/a C Sidney Crosby

* NY Rangers obtained Chicago's pick in a trade (via Vancouver and Tampa Bay). The Rangers selected RW Pavel Brendl fourth overall.

** Columbus obtained Florida's pick in a trade. The Blue Jackets selected LW Rick Nash first overall.

*** Pittsburgh obtained Florida's pick in a trade. The Penguins selected G Marc-Andre Fleury first overall."[/
SIZE]

ILuvLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2006, 09:55 PM
multiball

Send a message via AIM to multiball
Thanks for the info. A blood vessel in my forehead twitched when reminded of the Aki Berg debacle...

multiball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2006, 09:56 PM
ILuvLA

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiball
Thanks for the info. A blood vessel in my forehead twitched when reminded of the Aki Berg debacle...
Trust me, you weren't the only one.

ILuvLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2006, 10:38 PM
Goallum

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiball
As much as of a let-down he turned out to be, he was a clear-cut consensus #3 pick, so can't really blame Disaster for picking him.

Goallum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2006, 10:42 PM
Belanger25
ZUES!

What seems interesting is they moved the draft to 3 PM

Belanger25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2006, 01:40 AM
King'sPawn
Enjoy the chaos

Any news if the draft itself will be televised in the U.S? I know it's a long shot, but, I figure I'd ask.

King'sPawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2006, 01:55 AM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by King'sPawn
Any news if the draft itself will be televised in the U.S? I know it's a long shot, but, I figure I'd ask.
The draft (at least the 1st round) is always on TV. The lottery/drawing to determine positioning usually is not, however (maybe in Canada, though... I don't know).

Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote